PDA

View Full Version : The old contuinity, it still around any where?

Lisiecki
04-11-2007, 04:24
Was just looking at some books today, and im wondering, are there any archives of the old continuity in on the web?
All the wikis i see are all written "in universe" from the current setting, and while i dont pretend to be an expert on the OLD stuff, i do remember a few things like traitor marines, geanstealler cults, and i swear i remember from some where that Leman russ started out as a Guards man.

I remember loving the fluff as a kid, and after 14 years of not playing, im wordeing what happened to it all, is there any sights talking about the old stuff, or at least what has changed between editions?

Shibboleth
04-11-2007, 05:11
http://www.gamehobby.net/gw_product_history.html

Rogue Trader starts at Issue 94.
You can find some complete articles linked there if you dig around a bit.

Who knew the Ultramarines were a Fleet-based chapter of the 3rd founding until they were given Macragge as their homeworld in the 41st Millenium? :D

Tehkonrad
04-11-2007, 06:19
wow thats getting faved

edit: gene-sperm teehee

Kage2020
04-11-2007, 06:39
In short? No. Sorry. Not of any significance anyway.

Kage

Lisiecki
04-11-2007, 23:21
In short? No. Sorry. Not of any significance anyway.

Kage

True, but if wikipedia can document the diffrence between precrisis/post crisis/new earth batman it seems logical that
1st/2nd/3d/4th ed changes may be some where as well

Argastes
04-11-2007, 23:43
Traitor Marines are still around, they're just more commonly referred to nowadays as the Traitor Legions, or just as Chaos space marines.

Savant
04-11-2007, 23:49
Ah, for the days when Chaos Space Marine were just freedom loving hippys and rebels. In power armor. With daemonic powers.

Stranger
05-11-2007, 00:54
It's been pretty much 'discontinued' so to speak.

Though I can't remember genestaler cults going the way of the squats...

Argastes
05-11-2007, 01:11
I think Genestealer cults are still around, they just don't get mentioned anymore. I don't believe GW has ever said anything specific happened to them.

It's not really fair to say that the old fluff has been "discontinued". No single fate has befallen the old fluff. It's basically divided into three categories. The first category is the stuff that's still around just like always was (e.g., the Traitor Marines, although that term is no longer the one used). The second category is stuff that no longer gets mentioned, but has never been "edited out" so to speak; while GW may no longer focus on it, it's safe to assume it's still a part of the universe (e.g., Genestealer cults). The third category is stuff that GW has explicitly revised or retconned (e.g., Leman Russ being a former Guardsman). So the old continuity has neither been entirely retained, nor entirely overwritten; parts of it remain and parts of it are gone. There's no consistent formula for determining which parts remain, either; bits and pieces have been altered, discarded, or retained in a more or less piecemeal fashion. So unfortunately, Lisiecki, we can't tell you "All material pertaining to X topics is still valid but all material for Y topics is not". You'll just have to read up on it for yourself, or ask people here and elsewhere, in order to figure what's still around and what's changed. Sorry! I'm sure any questions you post in this thread will be answered pretty quickly.