Hammerers X 13 - 224pts
Full Command, Rune of Stoicism

Cannon - 140pts
Engineer, RoForging
------------------------------------
Organ Gun - 120pts

Flame Cannon - 140pts

Total - 2016pts

What I want to ask is, How many war machine/missile troops should I take?.
I'm worried that 10 Thunderers might be to few to have any significant impact on the game,
I don't particularly need a power gaming list, but a fair decent list for a casual gaming. Any advice would be useful. Seeing I'm a total noob, and only started play about 3 month ago.
Thanks in Advance

brambleten
04-11-2007, 10:11
if i ever consider a dwarf list, it will only have one character at 2k, and it will have a minimum of 3 shooty units, either crossbows or thunderers, and then longbeards, a cannon with rune of forging, with then an organ gun and 2 untooled up bolt throwers, for either flank. 10 thunderers is far to little in a 2k game. drop the flamecannon, you can do the same levels of damage, and if there is a rune of burning, give it to one, if you can, as this will be even more effective.
i thought you could only take a single rune on one character e.g. you cant use RoStone on more than once character?
take the rune that stops killing blow and poison when playing a lizardmen list with full skinky death, it helps

AFoolProofPlan
05-11-2007, 04:30
oh right. I missed that. Thane should have a shield instead of the rune anyways
Hmm, So more Thunderers, and less Characters.
Are the 2 bolt throwerers essential? Can I take another cannon instead?

Belerophon709
05-11-2007, 06:39
RoStone is an exception to the Rule of Pride.

brambleten
05-11-2007, 06:53
take cannons to your hearts content, they always seem to work when i play against them, unless im playing a trgic empire player with 3 then a hellstorm in 1000 points, in which case they all blow up in the same turn.
i had heard somewhere about 1 kind of rune to a dwarf, but i didnt know there were any exceptions, sorry

Belerophon709
05-11-2007, 07:01
i had heard somewhere about 1 kind of rune to a dwarf, but i didnt know there were any exceptions, sorry

Not exactly true.
You can have the same rune (except master runes) on more than one character, you just can't have the exact same item (be it a runic weapon, armour or talisman) twice. Also, you can't have the same rune more than once on any one character, unless specifically stated in the rules (RoIron for example - 6+ ward save @ 1 rune, 5+ ward save @ 2 runes). In that respect you are right concerning the RoStone however. You can't have it more than once on a single suit of armour.

luckysevens
05-11-2007, 09:57
Hi,

Your list doesn't necessarily need more shooting, but it could definitely use some trimming down. 4 Characters at 2K is a lot for Dwarfs - are they all necessary? The one that really stands out is the Ranger Thane. It's a fun option, but 335pts for him and his bodyguard is a big chunk of change - and what are they going to do? Depending on the terrain you use, there may not be anywhere useful to place them in the outfield, and even if there were, they would be horribly exposed to the enemy's shooting/magic/faster units. They are very expensive marchblockers, they can't shoot, and with no anvil they can be outcharged by anything in the game. 20 Longbeards with shields, full command and the RoCourage/Battle/Grungni is ~300 points for a really hard unit, that boosts your nearby units too.

Your Lord is ok at the moment, but he could use the MroChallenge to stop people just avoiding him. Also the Ward save may be overkill, T5 3W and a 1+ save should see him through. A RoFurnace would keep him safe from pesky Metal wizards.

2 Runes of Spellbreaking are probably more useful than the MroBalance, but scrolls are a bit boring, and it's still a good rune.

The Master Engineer is a good choice as he adds areal punch to the Cannon, but is more of a luxury than a necessity. A Battle Standard bearer thane might be more useful in the long run given your 4+ smallish elite combat units. Ld 9 (10 near the Lord) is great, but you don't want to see your battle line buckled by one bad roll. With T5 and a 4+ save standard, plus the nice cheap runes, the BsB doesn't have a to be a weak link either, as he can be in some races.

A standard on the Thunderers is an iffy choice, as you may be handing 100pts to your opponent when things go against you. They would be fine with just shields, but if you want to upgrade them a veteran with brace of pistols is quite nice, as it makes all your stand and shoot reactions short range. Alternatively, a musician is the cheapest option, and lets you use them as bait more safely if you want to.

I guess the Lord will go in the Hammerers, which is why the Ironbreakers have the RoCourage right? The Ironbreakers might be better off with Battle+Stoicism, but Courage is good too.

Your spare special slot is crying out to be filled - Dwarfs have almost too many good Special units. 2 Bolt throwers, 1 Grudge thrower, a unit of miners, a unit of slayers....all would be good choices, adding to your shooting/anti shooting/flank protection.

The Flame Cannon is a fun choice, but it's so unreliable, and lots of armies won't be worried by it at all. If you know you're facing Skaven/Goblins/Empire with lots of low Leadership infantry it could get a run out. Generally though, I'd say a Gyrocopter is better value for money, as it can do damage to the sorts of units the Flame Cannon would be good against, but can do lots of things that nothing else in the Dwarf army can.

So those are some things I'd think about changing in your list in general, but to get back to your original question (sorry, went off on one a bit there :)), how many warmachines/missile troops? Most 'balanced' lists out there I'd say have 10 Thunderers, 10 Quarrellers, 1-2 Bolt throwers and an organ gun as standard, with either a cannon/grudge thrower/other war machine added in. Obviously lists can and do work well with more shooting and with less shooting - it depends how you want to play your games.

Hope some of that's helpful :)

Oh, and if you haven't already, I'd check out http://www.bugmansbrewery.com/forum, there are loads of wiser dwarf players than me to give you more advice if you want it.

AFoolProofPlan
06-11-2007, 06:53
Wow, Thanks guys.
I know 4 characters bit of an over kill, but generally speaking, my friends and I usually take as many characters as we can just for the fun of it.
But on a more serious note, I think I'm gonna just take 2 characters.
Lord, and Runesmith. I'll tone down the lord a bit, so I can have more troops, and I'll be taking 2 units of 10 Thunderers, and 2 cannons, and bigger unit of warriors instead of the 2 extra heros, and the flame cannon.
As for Ironbreakers. I've fought against too many fear/terror causing enemies, and frankly, I'm tired of seeing my Ironbreakers running away because of few lousy rolls.
And since Hammerers are immune to fear/terror with lord, both my elites will be fairly solid.

AFoolProofPlan
06-11-2007, 06:58
Dwarf Lord - 251pts
RoKragg, RoSnorri, RoFury, RoStone, Shieldbearer, GW

Runesmith - 151pts
RoBalance, RoSpellbreaking, GW, Shield

-------------------------------
Dwarf Warriors X 20 - 205pts
FC, Shield

Thunderers 2 X 10 - 300pts
Shield

Longbeard x 15 - 205pts
FC, Shield
----------------------------------
Ironbreakers X 15 - 255pts
Full Command, RoCourage

Hammerers X 15 - 250pts
Full Command, Rune of Stoicism

Cannon - 140pts
Engineer, RoForging

Cannon - 115pts
Engineer
------------------------------------
Organ Gun - 120pts

Total - 1992pts

I think I'll give my lord a MroChallenge, or MroDismay

Killoran
06-11-2007, 10:51
Looks good to me, ive frequently played against dwarfs and this looks a good list.

AFoolProofPlan
10-11-2007, 06:50
Dwarf Lord - 281pts
MroSteel, RoResistance, RoStone, MroChallenge, GW, Shieldbearers

Runesmith - 151pts
RoBalance, RoSpellbreaking, Shield

Thane - 142pts
MroSwiftness, RoFury, RoCleaving, Shield

-------------------------------
Dwarf Warriors X 15 - 160pts
FC, Shield

Thunderers X 16 - 240pts