PDA

View Full Version : Gaunts Ghosts Only In Death *SPOILERS FOR BOOK WITHIN!*

Cherubael
04-11-2007, 18:42
Please note that this thread will contain spoilers, so please warned as i dont want to ruin the novel for anyone.
So anyone else here finished reading Only In Death? I have to say i found it to be one of the better Gaunts Ghosts books, although the best thing about the book was the way it played with assumptions i had about what would happen in the book.

Namely, Gaunts death

I dont know about anyone else but i had heard fairly often that this would be the last Ghosts book and would feature Gaunts death, so right up until the last couple of chapters i was convinced, especially since long established ghosts were dying left right and center, that this really was the last stand of the Tanith First. So i was pleasantly surprised when A) The Tanith started kicking ass with the Xenos weapons and B) Gaunt was recovered alive albeit blinded. Now all i want to know is when the next Ghost book is out.

So what do the others who have read the book think?

kanluwen
04-11-2007, 19:30
I thought it was pretty good, the whole thing with the armored officer being a ghost was kinda wtf.

Arael
04-11-2007, 21:03
Loved it. From what I hear though, this is the end for now.

Shame really, it's a damn good series.

WarEyes
04-11-2007, 21:15
I must admit, that before buying the book, I was actually hoping that Gaunt would die, and that the Ghosts would finally be pulled back from service for a while.

I just got the impression that as of late, the series had been turning into the Sharpe series, good, interesting books, but ultimately sliding ever downwards.

On the other hand, this was probably the most enjoyable read since 'The Guns of Tanith' (imo, the last 'awesome' GG's book).

Good, fast paced writing, with enough surprises to keep it from becoming stale, and with a sort of desperation about it that reminds me of Straight Silver's ending. Good stuff.

On a personal note though, I'm glad that Gaunt has survived, but I do hope that this is the last of the series for a long while. It's been churned out these last few years, and needs some time on the backburner, perhaps Dan Abnett could write a story with some Vitrian Dragoons in it in the meantime?

By all means, keep the Crusade stories coming in, but have some different viewpoints.

Railgunner
04-11-2007, 21:38
I must admit, that before buying the book, I was actually hoping that Gaunt would die, and that the Ghosts would finally be pulled back from service for a while.

I just got the impression that as of late, the series had been turning into the Sharpe series, good, interesting books, but ultimately sliding ever downwards.

On the other hand, this was probably the most enjoyable read since 'The Guns of Tanith' (imo, the last 'awesome' GG's book).

Good, fast paced writing, with enough surprises to keep it from becoming stale, and with a sort of desperation about it that reminds me of Straight Silver's ending. Good stuff.

On a personal note though, I'm glad that Gaunt has survived, but I do hope that this is the last of the series for a long while. It's been churned out these last few years, and needs some time on the backburner, perhaps Dan Abnett could write a story with some Vitrian Dragoons in it in the meantime?

By all means, keep the Crusade stories coming in, but have some different viewpoints.

A book or 2 about the Vitrian Dragoons would be awesome! Or the Narmenian armoured regiments.

RG

ChrisAsmadi
05-11-2007, 00:12
I liked how Agun Soric's storyline was finished off (I'd read this like, a month ago just after GD.)

I personally would like to see more Eisenhorn/Ravenor books from D.A, myself, purely because Eisenhorn rocks.