PDA

View Full Version : Steam Tank in enemy CC phase

Kroxigore
04-11-2007, 20:30
Hey folks,

Yesterday I had a game with lizardmen against an imperial army, where the question arose, what a steam tank can do in the enemies close combat phase. In the rules discription it said, that the steam tank can spend steam points in the Close Combat phase. It also sais, that the steam tank can generate steam points at the beginning of the owning players turn.
My interpretation was that in the Close Combat phase of the enemy, the steam tank cannot spend steam points, as it can not generate steam points in that turn. We finally threw dice to solve that. So what is the common interpretation of this? And btw. it doesn't say, that steam points expire at the end of the turn. I guess they do, but a confirmation would be nice.
Cheers, Krox

Atrahasis
04-11-2007, 22:41
All steam points are explicitly lost at the end of the owning player's turn.

The Steam Tank is essentially a paperweight (albeit a considerably tough one) in the enemy's close combat phase - it can do nothing except roll armour saves.

Gazak Blacktoof
04-11-2007, 23:00
You can't do anything in your opponent's turn unless explicitly stated by the rules. The steam tank wont strike (act) by the normal rules because it doesn't have an attacks value.

As Atrahasis said it's just a fancy paper weight until your own turn comes round again.

loveless
05-11-2007, 02:11
Which is why you don't let your steam tank get into combat with things that could easily kill it, unless you know you can take it out with your charge.

The steam tank can only drive over its opponents (that's essentially what the attack is described as, right?) in the owning player's turn. Otherwise, yes, it just sits there.

soots
05-11-2007, 04:38
It stops building steam points and starts building anger points!

Its a pity you cant tonka truck your way out of combat like you did in the previous build.

Slacker
05-11-2007, 05:24
This is why rolling the Tank into units that actually have the strength to hurt it and are too tough/stubborn/stupid to run away is a Bad Idea(tm)

Unless you're specifically tying said unit down so they can be flank charged by a pissed-off unit of Greatswords. *coughs innocently*

Kroxigore
05-11-2007, 06:49
Okay, thanks for all those replies. That's what I thought too. It would just be darn overpowered, if that thing could mow down units before they can hit, even if they charged it (that's how my fellow player interpreted it). That actually makes that thing a bit more balanced. I think, it's a bit overpowered the way it is anyway...

Slacker
05-11-2007, 15:32
It's a 300 pt giant terror causing target that becomes a bunker as soon as you put a couple of wounds into it.
*shrugs*

The Steam Tank is disgusting right to the point someone puts a good punch into it. After that, it's really nothing special.

Kroxigore
06-11-2007, 09:25
Hmm, okay, I guess, the trick is to reduce it quickly, so that it loses wounds by itself. The problem I see with that thing is, that, if it gets a charge into a regiment, it normally ends in an auto-break. I mean, sacrificing one wound for 5 D3 hits with strength 6 is definitely worth it imo. Statistically it ends in about 8 wounds on the enemy regiment and that's either autobreak due to terror or an autobreak due to combat result. In either case it is normally worth 1 wound of that thing!

Reyki
19-11-2007, 12:24
In Polish Rules Clarifications:

"If enemy deal 5 Wounds to the Steam Tank, he get the half point value."

Tell me one thing.
This is aright?

Fate
19-11-2007, 23:53
No, The steam tank is a warmachine, thus you don't get anything for it unless you bring it down.

Also it's not overpowered, as it was said, a couple wounds and it won't be working anymore... Not decently at least. Also if you need 5 points and roll a 6 you're pretty much ****ed up cause not only you take a wound, but you lose all steam points and can do nothing. I've lost the count on the games i lost thanks to the steam tank ramdomness. I vote to bring back the 6th ed steam tank, at least that one was pretty much a safe bet.

theunwantedbeing
19-11-2007, 23:56
The steam tank is a single model on its own that counts as a unit.
Therefore you get half points for reducing it to half its starting wounds or less.

Page 102 will back me up on that.

Rodman49
20-11-2007, 04:12
Therefore you get half points for reducing it to half its starting wounds or less.

Correct. Gav stated the same.

M_M
20-11-2007, 08:56
shame the GT house rules count it as a warmachine :(

Gorbad Ironclaw
20-11-2007, 10:27

Except it isn't. It's own rules says it's a Warmachine, and regardles of what Gav said, there are no option for warmachines to give away half points. It's all or nothing.

Of course, you can house-rule it that it gives away half, and it's IMO also more sensible, but according to the rules it's not possible.