PDA

View Full Version : Nob Bikers Discussion

volair
04-11-2007, 22:04
I chose to pose this topic in a new thread because it warrants special attention. I will try to present this such that those who haven't seen the leaked codex can join the discussion too.

Nob Bikers look to be the best close combat option in the codex. They are a bit more expensive than terminators but significantly more resilient against most types of weapons, twice as fast, and can hide the more expensive power klaw wielding bikers with standard nob bikers to take the hits. Bosspoles help with the moral issue.

What makes them so resilient is the painboy upgrade. He gives the squad feel no pain. Also, the cover save and toughness bonus granted by the bike contribute to this supreme resilience.

Having a unit that can take so many shots, ride forward at great speed, and charge with devastating hitting power, is a great asset to the Orks. Statistically, in terms of points cost efficiency, they in theory will perform brilliantly, better so than even stormboyz. The twin-linked Dakkaguns are nice too!

Does everyone else have the same opinion of them? They are very expensive individually, but they get so many layers of resilience it is almost absurd: You first have to hit them, then wound them given that their toughness is 5, then they get a cover save, a feel no pain roll, and have two wounds each.

==Me==
04-11-2007, 22:08
Well, the bike doesn't raise their instant death toughness, so anything S8 will be wiping them out half the time (I shudder to think what a well placed battle cannon round would do to them). They would be almost immune to small arms fire and would do quite well in combat (powerfists would eat them alive). A small unit would make excellent MC/tank hunters or just fire magnets for other units.

Kasonic
04-11-2007, 22:14
Yeah they look super attractive. I plan on fielding a unit of 8, with a Painboy, 2 Klaws, a Banner and a Bosspole. Expensive as 2 CLRs? Yep. But damn is it a menace. A full 20 Bolter shots wounds them once on average, and they can wipe out a squad of 10 Immortals in a single turn.

Latro_
04-11-2007, 22:29
For a little more than 3 naked ork nobs on bike you can get 12 orks with a rokkit on a rokkit truk with a nob with power klaw...

know which i'd rather have :P.

TheMav80
04-11-2007, 22:41
I noticed this as well. It seems like a great idea...but it is just soooo expensive. Still I think I will try it out. I'll be buying some of the new bikes anyways. With a Warlord you can even take them as a Troop choice.

I was going to take six with one being a painboy and make them all cyborks and two others having PKs. Stick the Waaagh Banner in there too. On a charge that would be 30 attacks at WS 5. 10 at Strength 9 and the others at strength 5.

volair
04-11-2007, 22:41
Rokkit Boyzcan't take a dedicated transport, so no trukk.

volair
04-11-2007, 22:42
I noticed this as well. It seems like a great idea...but it is just soooo expensive. Still I think I will try it out. I'll be buying some of the new bikes anyways. With a Warlord you can even take them as a Troop choice.

I was going to take six with one being a painboy and make them all cyborks and two others having PKs. Stick the Waaagh Banner in there too. On a charge that would be 30 attacks at WS 5. 10 at Strength 9 and the others at strength 5.

I'm not sure cybork body would be worth it.

Latro_
04-11-2007, 23:18
Rokkit Boyzcan't take a dedicated transport, so no trukk.

Didnt say Tankbustas. Normal boyz with 1x rokkit and a rokkit on the truk.

volair
04-11-2007, 23:58
Didnt say Tankbustas. Normal boyz with 1x rokkit and a rokkit on the truk.

Ah, ok. Boyz in Trukks are definitely going to be good. It is an interesting point you brought up: that regular boyz are more cost efficient. Nob Bikers have more power concentration per unit area though. In other words, trukks take up more space and can block the line of site of your lootaz potentially. Still boyz may be the best choice, but it doesn't require a lot of points to fill up all 6 troop slots, and the rest may be well spent on Nob Bikers but that is debatable because of the competition: Storm Boyz, Lootaz, Warbikers, etc.. that all seem to be good as well to spend those points on. Any thoughts from anyone about such comparisons? Besides wether or not Nob Bikers or good or not it is also important to talk about if they are better or not relative to other ork units.