PDA

View Full Version : Putting together a 2000 point Skaven army

Caligula
04-11-2007, 22:55
Hey there all. My latest project in Fantasy finds me starting to put together a Skaven army...finally! The ratmen have always interested me, and I'm determined to get a sizable force of them on the go now.

So far I've come up with a basic list, which comes out at 1630 points. I'm looking for your thoughts and advice on what to add/change in order to hit the 2000 point mark. Here we go...

Grey Seer-
Warpstone Amulet
Eye of the Horned Rat
Dispel Scroll

Warlock Engineer-
Warp Blades
Upgraded Warp energy Condenser
Supercharged Warp power Accumulator
Storm Daemon
Dispel Scroll

Chieftan-
Battle Standard Bearer
Warpstone Armour

Plague Priest-
Plague Censer
Twisted Crown of the Horned Rat

30 Clanrats-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader

30 Clanrats-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader

20 Clanrat Slaves-
Musician

Giant Rat Pack

Giant Rat Pack

30 Plague Monks-
additional Hand Weapons
Musician
Standard Bearer
Banner of Burning Hatred
Deacon

4 Rat Ogre Packs

TOTAL-1630pts.

So there's what I have planned so far. Please feel free to let me know what you think of the above list, especially in regards to the characters I have and their repsective magic item and equipment loadout. Also, if you have some ideas on what to add to this force to make it a solid 2000 points, please share!

One last thing. I know that Rat Ogres are not considered a very good use of points for what they do. I can't agree or refute such claims as I've never had the oppurtunity to use them as of yet. However, I do plan on using them in this army list, for better or worse, so that's probably the one unit I don't want to get rid of. I'll be fighting Orcs and Goblins quite a bit, and thanks to their lack of effective missile fire, the Rat Ogres should make it into close combat fairly often. So yes, the point is I like the Rat Ogres. Very nice models as well.

Other than that, please help me out! Thanks!

Edit: Oh yes, I'm also wondering about mounting the Grey Seer on a Screaming Bell. Any thoughts on that one?

Bernardinatti
05-11-2007, 03:50
Hello fellow Skaven General!

I am also beginning to collect a skaven army, and from what i have experienced in my few games with the skaven this list looks very promising.
It seems really balanced and at least it won't get a lot of boo's and hisses from some of the people that freqent this site.

That being said, i believe that this list could benefit from a little bit of shooting...maybe a couple of jezzail teams to take out any monsters or heavy cavalry, perhaps a warplighting cannon for fun or even some ratling guns.

By the way, i agree with you 100% on the Rat Ogres...they probably aren't incredibly useful but i like them anyways! And the screaming bell tactic works fine, i always take one with my grey seer...making the unit immune to psychology, giving it magic resistant of 2 i believe (could be wrong) plus the two power dice for the grey seer, along with giving him LOS of practically the whole table is good enough on its own....let alone rolling that oh-so-lovely 13 to make his entire army panic..muhahaha!

Personally though, i would trade the BSB for an assassin with warpstone stars...combined with skitterleap, you have a very dangerous...well assassin, to take out warmachines, chariots, monsters and characters.

Ciao,

Bernardinatti

Caligula
05-11-2007, 05:02
Excellent, thank you very much, Bernardinatti! It means a lot coming from another budding Skaven general, so I appreciate your comments greatly.

I do believe I'll take a Screaming Bell with my Grey Seer, the more I think about it, the more it just wouldn't make sense not to! I also quite like your suggestion about adding an Assassin instead of the BSB. Very nasty, thank you!

I was pretty much thinking of adding a little shooting to this force, as you had also suggested. I don't want to go completely mad with it, but it would be a shame not to be able to fire into my own units every now and then, right?;) Not to mention the potential devastation caused by Skaven firepower...

Okay, so with this in mind I'll finish the list up to 2000 points and post the final product soon. Thanks again, Bernardinatti!

bucheonman
05-11-2007, 14:06
I hate the Screaming Bell. They really neutered it from years ago.

I like Rat Ogres to soak up missile fire. Also the odd time that causing fear really matters.

I think attaching some warpfire teams to those units would help, as well as some jezzail teams. It's a well rounded army but lacks any kind of punch, save some warp lighting blasts.

Caligula
05-11-2007, 16:23
Hmmm well the Screaming Bell does take up another 200 points, which doesn't leave with me with much in the way of adding other stuff I want/need for, as you said bucheonman, added punch. Maybe I'll wait and add it later...

Yes, another vote of semi-confidence for the Rat Ogres! Thanks!

Okay, so maybe I'll bite the bullet and add some Jezzail teams, and I'd honestly rather go for Warpfire Throwers than Ratling Guns. They're just much more classically in character in my mind. Not only that, but I can see them being pretty effective.

To round off my firepower, maybe I'll add a Warp-Lightning Cannon. I definately want some Plague Censer Bearers to acompany my Plague Monks as well. They seem pretty nasty. I'll return with an updated full 2000 point list.

Caligula
05-11-2007, 16:46
Okay, so here's the full 2000 point list as it stands now. Please let me know what you think of it all!

Grey Seer-
Warpstone Amulet
Eye of the Horned Rat
Warpstone Token
Warpstone Token
Dispel Scroll

Warlock Engineer-
full kit-*see above
Storm Daemon
Dispel Scroll

Plague Priest-
Plague Censer
Twisted Crown of the Horned Rat

Assassin-
Warpstone Stars

30 Clanrats-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader

Ratling Gun

30 Clanrats-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Clawleader

20 Clanrat Slaves-
Musician

Giant Rat Pack

Giant Rat Pack

30 Plague Monks-
additional Hand Weapons
Musician
Standard Bearer
Banner of Burning Hatred
Deacon

4 Rat Ogre Packs

5 Warplock Jezzails

8 Plague Censer Bearers

TOTAL-1996pts.

Thoughts?

Oldster
05-11-2007, 18:09
Your army seems quite small for a Skaven force. Personally I prefer more blocks of troops and so always take 3 units of slaves, for your list I would drop 5 of the clanrats and a unit of giant rats plus a dispel scroll and add 2 units of slaves. Have not done the maths but must be close. Also 4 rat ogres is hard to manouver, 3 is easier.

Caligula
05-11-2007, 18:14
Hmmm...okay, thank you muchly for the advice, Oldster. I'll look into adding some more Slaves!