PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Point High Elf army

Benji407
04-11-2007, 22:17
I have been trying to decide on a balanced high elf army and am pretty happy with this. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Lvl 3 Archmage: 2 X Dispel Scroll, Jewl Of The Dusk, Annulian Crystal

20 Spearmen (Full Command)

12 Archers

14 Phoniex Guard (Full Command)

14 White Lions (Full Command)

Lion Chariot

Normal Chariot

5 Dragon Princes

6 Silverhelms

2 X Bolt throwers

2 X Eagles

Loki73
05-11-2007, 02:27
I like this list.

I have recently returned to the HE. I need some good guys to ply lol. I assume since you have the Lion chariot its the new book? Why the regular chariot as well? Why not another lion chariot? Just curious. Also if it were me id put in a commander hero in the Silver helms regiment. Maybe arm him with a no save magic weapon. Add to the kick assness of the front ranks. I dont have the new book so Im assuming you can take a commander in the new book as well. I like the inclusion of the great eagles and the two rbt's.

Shoot, I say play with it awhile and see what happens. Good experience is better than internet advice most of the time. Good luck!

Loki

Chiungalla
05-11-2007, 03:34
First of all: You can't have the Annulian Crystal and the Jewel of the Dusk on the same character, because both items are arcane ones.

Take a third dispel scroll instead!

You need more characters, allways strikes first will work very fine with a great weapon and allways strikes first. And even on a cavalry unit with sword of might it may protect them from some charges.

@ Loki73:
Differences of both chariots:
- Lion hits harder
- Tiranoc is faster
- Lion costs nearly twice as much as the Tiranoc

The Lion chariots are a likely target (and victim) for shooting.

Prince Sairion
05-11-2007, 06:58
No swordmasters???!!!

I'd have to include them, in place of the white lions. I'd also get rid of the lion chariot in certain games against shooty armies, as it will just die instantly.

I agree tho, more characters is the way forward. Theres a noble in the new list that can kill Grimgor for 140pts. On foot, white sword, 10 point enchanted item (name?) that allows you to re-roll hits, wounds, and forces the opponent to re-roll saves. Killing blow remember too :D

Otherwise it's a decent list, just don't expect miracles form the helms!

Ecclesiastes
05-11-2007, 09:47
No swordmasters???!!!

I'd have to include them, in place of the white lions. I'd also get rid of the lion chariot in certain games against shooty armies, as it will just die instantly.

So you would remove the White Lions and the Chariot because he's prone to be shot up?... and then put in some swordmasters? That shooty army is gonna love you. ;)

Nah, but seriously, the white lions are one of the most pro choices a high elf can currently field. Swordmasters are a bit overrated imo, cuz they still get shot up with T3 and a 5+ save...

to OP: GL with your armybuilding, but dont you think you will get swamped if you use such small units? one mage and 3 shooters are rarely enough to thin out other elite regiments or effectively counter a medium-heavy shooty or magic army before they decimate your elites.... I agree with loki that even a commander would do wonders for your elites.

Good luck, and tell us how you did when you tested your build...

Benji407
05-11-2007, 17:22
Thanks for all the advice guys it has got me thinking. As you have probaly guessed I've never played High Elves before so I am only using my previous experience to gage a decent army list. I would never take swordmasters for 2 reasons. The first one being that everyone will be taking them now with the new rules and I like to try to field an army that has some moral fibre. Secondly, they will die in minutes. Toghness 3 and a 5+ save is free points.

I played 1 games against the new HE and watched another. I play ogres by the way, I destroyed my mates army while only suffering a few dead ogres. This was mainly due to the fact that he was fielding the contents of the army box so no elite troops. The sencond game was against an orc horde and the 2 X units of 14 swordmasters pretty much routed the whole army. As you can guess the orc player didn't have any shooting.

This is my revised list based on your ideas. Of course after my first game I may change my mind. I appreciate that the elite infantry units may be small so I may change the size of them after a few games depnding on the results.

Noble, Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor

Lvl 2 Mage: Cystal

Lvl 2 Mage: 2 X Dispel

10 Archers

19 Spearmen, Champ, Standard

14 Phoneix Gurad, Champ, Standard

14 White Lions, Champ, Standard

5 Dragon Princes

5 Dragon Princes

Normal Chariot

5 Shadow warriors

2 X Bolt Throwers

2 X Eagles

Ecclesiastes
05-11-2007, 17:45
Thats starting to look like a decent balanced list, looks a bit like the one I'm currently building myself. I'll check later to see if it worked for you :)

Kahadras
05-11-2007, 18:06
Nah, but seriously, the white lions are one of the most pro choices a high elf can currently field. Swordmasters are a bit overrated

I agree with that. Swordmasters may be nastier in combat but everybody and his dog knows about them and they'll quickly get shot to pieces. White Lions are a lot harder to shoot off the table and can still do a lot of damage in the bargain as well.

Kahadras

Des
05-11-2007, 18:57
Bit of a mixed message there. If taking swordmasters will impinge on the "moral fibre" of your force, how can they also be so easily dismissed as "free points" also?

Swordmasters - more damage/less protection.
Lions - less damage/more protection.
Pheonix Guard - lowest damage/best protection.

Pretty easy balancing act there.

Loki73
06-11-2007, 02:14
Theory hammer blows! Do what you like. Have fun at it!