PDA

View Full Version : Deathwatch & Chapter markings

Rirekon
05-11-2007, 10:36
I'm a little confused about the way in which Deathwatch are depicted in repainting their armour.
They are supposed to leave one shoulder with the original chapter symbol and colours right? Well this would be the left shoulder as that's the shoulder which normally bears the chapter symbol.
However all the Deathwatch marines I've seen painted have the right shoulder left with the chapter symbol and colours... why is that? Doesn't that mean that the chapter symbol has been moved, and wouldn't that anger the machine spirit?

pookie
05-11-2007, 10:59
they re paint the Right shoulder pad, as long as its there i dont think it would matter.

Vaulkhar
05-11-2007, 11:15
The left pad (bearing their Chapter markings) is moved over to the right shoulder, with the new left shoulder bearing Deathwatch heraldry instead.

The reasoning is that to overpaint the Chapter symbol would anger the armour's spirit, but at the same time, they are part of the Deathwatch Chapter and hence have to wear its uniform. Originating chapter on the right, DW on the left is a compromise deal.

sabreu
05-11-2007, 11:31
Also, the Shoulder armaments can be removed. The keeping the Chapter insignia to the left pad is strictly a Codex practice (It's just a regulation, protocol, etc). When going Deathwatch, they switch it over. No biggie, really.

Rirekon
05-11-2007, 13:02
So asymmetric chapter symbols would appear backwards on the (now) right shoulder pad?

edit; I don't mean backwards left-to-right, I mean in terms of front-to-back

Vaulkhar
05-11-2007, 14:51
rirekon: Yes.

The design on the pad is unchanged, the pad simply moves to the opposite shoulder. Try it with a model if you want a clear idea.

Rirekon
05-11-2007, 15:20
Right got it, cheers!

jhon
06-11-2007, 01:30
if a death watch member Die in Mission and the tech marine has claim bak the armour , who will take bak the armour ?? the tech marine's chapter or the dead member's chapter ??

Noserenda
06-11-2007, 03:05
if a death watch member Die in Mission and the tech marine has claim bak the armour , who will take bak the armour ?? the tech marine's chapter or the dead member's chapter ??

The dead guys chapter ofc, unless they want...

...Trouble...

Tehkonrad
06-11-2007, 04:25
yeah noserenda is right

Spacewolves vs Thousandsons
06-11-2007, 15:52
the deathwatch are an interesting bunch and yes the left shoulder is the usual location for the chapter emblem while the right shows the marines personal heraldry, but i guess as long as the armor bears the chapter emblem on one shoulder it does not really matter

as to that question it would most likely return to the chapter of the fallen marine and have it repainted to its original color scheme and be reused provided most of the armor is salvageable