PDA

View Full Version : Who am I playing against?

Lorquas
05-11-2007, 15:04
Hi

If you are playing against Chaos what should your oppoenent tell you about their army?

Should he saimply say it's Chaos? Should he say he's using Hordes of Chaos? Should he say it's a mortal army? Should he say if it is dedicated to a specific mark of Chaos?

If you are mixing Hordes of Chaos and Beasts of Chaos do you declare both?

Thanks

Lorquas

L192837465
05-11-2007, 18:10
its all chaos. its always nice to show your list though. i always do. i like not having any suprises against my opponant. nor they to me.

DeathlessDraich
05-11-2007, 19:25
Reveal all except magic items.
This is not explicitly stated in the rules but a common maxim is "whatever can be seen must be known" - command groups, all upgrades and hence Chaos Marks.

W0lf
05-11-2007, 21:46
saying they are playing chaos is perfectly fine.

I however would say im playing Tzeentch mortals and would answer any questions about my list.

if your bothered askt ehm about the list, if they try and be secretive ask a previous opponent about the list and conclude the player is a jerk.

Example:

Me: what race you playing?
Them: Chaos
Me: beasts? mortals? Daemons?
Them: not telling
Me: mark?
Them: not telling
Me: Its just a game
Them: then why do you care
Me: *find new opponent who isnt a jerk or whip out the cheesiest list ever and spank them*

theunwantedbeing
05-11-2007, 22:06
In an orcs&goblins army you dont say your playing an orc army when you have only orcs in your army, you say its an orcs&goblins army.
Same for goblins.

You dont say you using a lahmian Vampire counts army, you say your using a Vampire counts army.

So you dont say your using a Khorne daemons army you say your using a hoardes of chaos army.
It's not unfair in any way really.

Plus it stops you taking a specific style list to face specific things.
eg. loads of dispel dice to face a tzeentch list, but you then get miffed when it turns out your opponent has a khornate army.
Not his fault you built it to face a specific threat and that threat never showed itself.

Festus
05-11-2007, 22:13
Well, I say:

I play a Night Gobbo Army. or

I play an all Kislev cavalry Army. or

I play Nurgle Daemons. or

well, you got the hang already...

Festus

TheDarkDaff
07-11-2007, 04:10
It really depends on what you are talking about. If you are asking if he should decribe his list in absolute detail so you can go away and tailor your list to specifically face his then i would tell you to take a long walk off a short pier. But if it is to the point where you already have your list drawn up and are at the table i would be happy to tell you the life story of Hangunner Bob of the 3rd regiment if you really wanted to hear it.

Aelyn
07-11-2007, 05:58
In general, if my opponent asked me before the game, I would describe what the Troops could be; Mortals, Daemons or Beasts. In addition, I'd mention if my General was a Doombull, and I'd also give the General's Mark. So if I had an Undivided army with a Tzeentchian Daemon with Master of Mortals, that would be a Mortal army with a Tzeentchian General.

At the beginning of the game, I would state everything aside from "hidden" information, such as Magic Items, Beast Herds held in Ambush, and the like. Marks, unit sizes and command groups, and the like would be freely given at the start of the game.

Finally, I will always happily show my opponent my list at the end of the game.

dodicula
07-11-2007, 07:49
Really chaos or demonic legion is enough as the army Beasts and Hordes books mingle, but if someone told "chaos" I would follow up with "what mark is your general?"

Revlid
07-11-2007, 08:24
I would expect to be told what the General is, as that effects army composition and the rules - the Patron (if any) should be obvious from the models.

Sherlocko
07-11-2007, 08:43
It really really depends on when you are asking. If your just asking for a pickup-game, then just tell them what you want. If it is in a tourney there is no point in not asking since they will find out in about 15 secs anyway...