PDA

View Full Version : 2000point - New High Elves

Andyroo
05-11-2007, 16:22
*snip* New list below!

Features of the list:
- Just under 400points worth of hard-as-nails points denial. Throw in the Battle Banner, and the Guard should usually win combat and should remain outnumbering. These guys are the main focus of the list.
Vs. gunlines are the only problem with them, but the 4+ wardsave should help them there.
The MR3 and 2 dispel scrolls should keep them safe Vs. magic

- 2 Units of Dragon princes for harassment. Generally, I fear these will be the first target for enemy artillery, will have to keep them safe and behind cover, or in combat until the Phoenix Guard start drawing the fire away from them.
2 Attacks each at S5 on the charge. Getting a double charge with both units should easily break most infantry blocks.

- Lone Eagle for Mage/Warmachine hunting. Would feel better with 2, but 50 points is 50 points I don't have.

- The Prince is hardass. Rerollable 2+ save, and a 4+ wardsave if that fails. He also makes his unit and hisself strike with magical attacks. Put him wherever that is most needed, probably in the Spears. Not sure if attaching him to the RBT crew will make the bolt magical?

Badger
05-11-2007, 16:54
-dragon takes a hero slot, so you have 1 lord and 4 heroes = illegal at 2k
-full command at dragonprinzes is expensive and unnecessary!
-why greatweapon on prince if a helebard does the same and costs less?
-spearelves could use a battle banner or banner of elyrien(sp?)

greetings Badger

Andyroo
05-11-2007, 17:04
I dont have a Dragon? The prince has Dragon Armour of Caledor... its an umimprovable 2+ armour save. Maybe that was what was confusing you?
Also a GW is +2 strength, as he isnt mounted... so that point is moot also.

Your other points are good though. If I remove the musicians from the princes, it'll free up enough points for a warbanner on the spears.
Point taken and list updated :)

Kahadras
05-11-2007, 17:55
I haven't had chance to look at the HE book yet (I will do on saterday though) but i'll put in a few comments. Personaly I'd look to cut down on your characters and increase the amount of units you have. Another RBT or unit of archers would give you a boost in the shooting phase.

A novel idea might be to go for no lords. Have a fighty hero (decent save, great weapon, fairly cheap), a BSB with a cheap banner, a mage and Caradryan (he's the Phoenix guard special character isn't he?).

Kahadras

Andyroo
06-11-2007, 17:06
Heroes

Noble
- Great Weapon
- Armour of Caledor

Noble
- Battle Standard
- Dragon Armour
- Shield
- Sword of Might
- Sacred Incense

Mage
- 2 Scrolls

Caradryan

Core

10 Archers

20 Spearelves
- Command
- Warbanner

Specials

23 Phoenix Guard
- Command

5 Dragon Princes
- Full Command

5 Dragon Princes
- Champ, Standard Bearer

Rares

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

Tried Kahadras's suggestion, managed to free up 200 points! Moar bolt throwahz!

Also, I think the Banner of Arcane Protection is better suited to the army. Kinda fits well with Caradryan's MR3 to provide a nice synergy of heavy magic protection. Not sure if the focus on closecombat is going to be good enough.
Too many anvils, not enough hammers?

Kahadras
06-11-2007, 17:42
Looks OK to me. Plenty of firepower to draw your opponant onto your combat troops. My mate explained Caradryan's rules to me and IMHO he's as good as most other armies lord choices (if not better).

Kahadras

truthsayer
07-11-2007, 07:22
I dont want full points or anything but can someone tell me what Caradryan does? I know he has mag res (3). apart from that???

Akuma
07-11-2007, 08:52
well i think will se quite a lot of caradryan ... I'm thinking of running 1x Archmage , 1x 2lvl mage and Cardryan - all in all it will lave me with lods of points for all other things BUT in addition :> i can vauls unmake enemy ward save item from his combat monster and then chase him down with Cari screeming just kill me for gos sake :D ( in chalange of course :D ) if he doesnt eccept he will have to go to the rear rank and well :D

Yeah i love new HE :D

Andyroo
07-11-2007, 09:55
He's a Phoenix Guard, so he causes fear and 4+ ward like the rest.
He indeed dishes out MR3 to the unit he's with. His "halberd" hits with flaming attacks, and does D3 wounds on anything with US2 or above (Hello Ogres). But it doesnt actually count as a halberd for some obscure reason.
Whatever model kills him, takes D6 wounds with no armoursave allowed.

He's pretty fun :)

Kahadras
07-11-2007, 12:18

This alone makes him great IMHO without the other bits and pieces he gets. He can eat most characters for breakfast and the ones that he can't will probably end up dying when they kill him.

Kahadras

truthsayer
07-11-2007, 15:37
He's a Phoenix Guard, so he causes fear and 4+ ward like the rest.
He indeed dishes out MR3 to the unit he's with. His "halberd" hits with flaming attacks, and does D3 wounds on anything with US2 or above (Hello Ogres). But it doesnt actually count as a halberd for some obscure reason.

He's pretty fun :)

obscene then...

cheers for the heads up..

Andyroo
07-11-2007, 23:35
Not sure whether his curse will be hugely useful.

I've been debating about how I would effectively use the list.
Things like choice of General.
Now that I actually get to choose who leads the army, rather than have a raffle for it at the beginning of the battle, I'm confusled on who would be the best choice.

I'm thinking Caradryan for the following reasons: He's tough (well, for an elf); has high Ld; would be positioned in the hardiest unit in the army, central to the battleplan.
A useful side-effect of this is it may tip the balance in peoples decision to accept his challenge. They may see the loss of their own character worthwhile to remove the leadership bubble and MagRes.

Thoughts?

CHOOBER SNIPES
07-11-2007, 23:53
I think u should almost deceive the enemy. You hav this big scary unit of phoenix guard with a big moderately frightening unit of spears next to it. If ur enemy is non shooty, u shoot em until they come. Theyll avoid the PG, hitting the spears, which u could hav the 1st noble in, a nice surprise, then, u flank w/ DP's. In other words, use the scariness of the new elven elites to make the enemy charge into an actually superior force. Or just force them to charge the PG then flank with DP's.

PS its obvious that Caradryan deals the D6 hits after cus his big helmet falls on them :) (by the way, this is a totally neutral big helmet comment, mayb i lik it mayb i dont, mayb he just is awesome :) )

Andyroo
08-11-2007, 00:04
That was actually the plan :D
Great minds think alike, eh! (Joke, i'm not really that bigheaded)

Ranking up the Spearelves in 3 ranks of 7, with the GW-Noble filling the 7th in the front rank. Will work a treat I think.
Even if they think around it, and click onto what I'm doing, well then they still have to go for the Phoenix Guard instead and deal with Caradryan.

PS. So sigged :P

EDIT: Argh, updated the list again. Removed the magic banner, and a bolt thrower. Gave the BSB Sacred incense, and some combat pain.
Upgraded a Prince unit to also have a musician.

neo_ebrick
08-11-2007, 08:25
Caradryan is a huge factor now against magic heavy armies only a hero choice how many points is he?

Andyroo
08-11-2007, 11:57
He costs the same as a Prince with 25points of gear.
(A Prince's basic cost now being the same as 10 space marines)