05-11-2007, 17:37
How have they done in your games?

Too powerful?

Suck?

Inbetween?

Corrupt
05-11-2007, 18:33
I think they are really fun additions.
I know that wiping out 50+ gaunts with a Marauderer run when they were about to assault and overwhelm your defences is great fun.
The idea of calling for air strikes just appeals to my inner officer (Yes Im Guard player and planning to join RAF)

Malorian
05-11-2007, 18:36
I suppose your opinion could be a bit biased then Corrupt : )

Have you used them in a battle yet though?

Corrupt
05-11-2007, 18:46
I suppose your opinion could be a bit biased then Corrupt : )

Have you used them in a battle yet though?

Its how I know killing gaunts is fun :)
They are quite powerful, but also pretty steeply priced.
We found athat 1-3 fliers at most has an enjoyable but not overpowering effect on the game, granting both sides a support asset for overstretched areas of their line. On the other hand 15 Thunderbolts (proxies ftw) with the enemy having 4 seperate Hydra Batteries of 3 Hydra's is CARNAGE but also very fun.

SquishySquig
05-11-2007, 19:23
:skull: I haven't had the opportunity to use my fighta bomma in apocalypse yet, but I have used the old FW rules of it in games of 40K and I have to say the new rules do seem to make it more effective, though I doubt game breakingly so. I'm looking forward to unleashing it upon my foes. :skull:

(Evil)Ash
05-11-2007, 20:17
I was thinking of making "Flyer markers", they would just represent the shadow of the plane that is flying over. this would be cheaper not to mention much easier too handel. I have a Valkyrie, and haven't got the balls to put it on some skinny flyerbase. it's also imposible to place your flyer over a piece of terrain. not to mention that with flyers the models are actually not really needed, as the hight is unimportant (they can't hide behinde cover anyway), all you need is the size (which would be the 'shadow') to measure the range for shooting.
these markers would also make it more appealing for my opponents to use them and more flyers per game, thus making the game more interresting.

don't get me wrong though, playing with the actual models is a lot cooler, but if there would be a model that doesn't handel well it's the flyer.

greetz,:evilgrin:

ps. ok I know the actual shadow would normally be smaller then the actual plane, but they should be made the same size for gaming purposes. these can btw easilly be made from a copy of the blue print top views in the imperial armour books.

Malorian
05-11-2007, 20:26
The shadow would be bigger, and I don't think it would be much fun.

I plan to take a hockey puck (or two) decorate it up and then drill a hole and have a coat hanger hold the model about 18 inches high.

I may have to double up the wire, but we'll see...

Has ANYONE out there used them in a game?

Derling
05-11-2007, 21:09

I plan to take a hockey puck (or two) decorate it up and then drill a hole and have a coat hanger hold the model about 18 inches high.

I've used flyers a bunch and they are great fun. I wouldn't say they are over/underbalanced, but I'm sure like any in-game combinations, somethings can fall out of wack.

They're useful for killing stuff, not so good at taking ground(unless they're also transports)...they support a ground force....but don't replace one.

Oh yeah, we base flyers with thin plywood bases (prettied up) and a pedastal of threaded rod. both of these are availible at your neghborhood hardware store. If you're wanting something a little nicer, table Microphone stands usualy sell for around $12-25 and can be converted for Flyer use rather easily.

BLZBOB
05-11-2007, 21:15
The bases arent too bad my vultures are on a relatively small mdf plinth as seen here (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v231/BLZBOB/Model%20in%20a%20month/?action=view&current=endofweek3_4.jpg) and supported with 3/8" brass rod its amply for all my fliers, the tigershark thats coming soon my need a slightly bigger base but again 3/8" rod should be fine to hold it aloft.

Necrontyr
05-11-2007, 21:19
For my flyers, I use the large dreadnought sized base with a 3/8" brass tube secured with a washer super glued to the underneath. A small section of 1/2" tube glued into the flyer itself provides a very sturdy "female" for the stand so they can attach and detach quite simply. Never had any issues with stability either.

Malorian
05-11-2007, 21:31
How did they do in battle though?

Necrontyr
05-11-2007, 22:55
They are a lot of fun in the battles. Not sure that they are worth their points, but they do have a lot of flexibility. They always hit side armor no matter the facing, which is kind of cool. I have 3 Valks, a Vulture, a Lightning, and an Arvus, and most of mine are set up in an anti infantry role, while the Valks carry Stormtrooper w/ Melta for Anti tank. Works pretty well.

There is an apocalypse tourney at our lgs on Saturday and I am taking all flyers/deepstrikers. I'll let you know then how they fared.

Pooky
06-11-2007, 03:53
Would anyone recommend a Thunderhawk?

zealot!
06-11-2007, 04:04
i used a nightwing twice and it was rather effective. first time it was vs. marines and guard and it came on from reserves and blew a basilisk up. meh

2nd time i brought it in first turn vs nids and killed a whole unit of gargoyles. it proceeded to next turn fly over and finish his hive tyrant off before being drove off the board with a stratagem. overall it hasnt attracted any fire and is a totally capable killer.

they seem fun. me and my opponent have both enjoyed it so far.

Ruroni
06-11-2007, 05:48
I think using them is awesome. Flying Transports are amazing, if for nothing else the ability to put people anywhere you want on the table, then maybe move them again, and shoot to boot. I only have a valkrie at the moment, but in a 5k IG vs chaos game, it soaked up about 8 lascannon, 1 defiler (it was hovering at that point) 6 all las predator, and some more, and didn't even get glanced once. In those same 2 turns it dropped a 4x special weapon command squad behind a plague reaper, blew it up, flew over, blew up a defiler, and contested an objective. My buddy couldn't even be mad cause even he thinks it's cool. Yeah, they're worth it.

TheOneWithNoName
06-11-2007, 05:52
I was thinking of making "Flyer markers", they would just represent the shadow of the plane that is flying over. this would be cheaper not to mention much easier too handel. I have a Valkyrie, and haven't got the balls to put it on some skinny flyerbase. it's also imposible to place your flyer over a piece of terrain. not to mention that with flyers the models are actually not really needed, as the hight is unimportant (they can't hide behinde cover anyway), all you need is the size (which would be the 'shadow') to measure the range for shooting.
these markers would also make it more appealing for my opponents to use them and more flyers per game, thus making the game more interresting.

don't get me wrong though, playing with the actual models is a lot cooler, but if there would be a model that doesn't handel well it's the flyer.

greetz,:evilgrin:

ps. ok I know the actual shadow would normally be smaller then the actual plane, but they should be made the same size for gaming purposes. these can btw easilly be made from a copy of the blue print top views in the imperial armour books.

Why not use EPIC model flyers for your games? I always thought that would help alleviate some of the problems you mentioned.

MorningLightMountain
06-11-2007, 09:12
I played an Apoc game last week with flyers. I've got a Thunderbolt and my Chaos opponent has a Hellblade. We've used them both in normal 40K before. The Thunderbolt rocks, the Hellblade is a twin-linked Autocannon.

In Apoc, I think they're even better. I love being able to move them around the table as normal units, instead of mucking about with reserves rolls, attack runs, and having to do stuff in your opponent's turn with them and stuff.

In the Apoc game I just played (Batrep up soon!) my Thunderbolt destroyed the Plasma Blastgun from a Chaos Warhound, killed a unit of Chaos terminators (well, the last 3 of a unit) and took a couple of wounds off a Nurgle Lord. And looked cool while doing it. I could be convinced to get a Vulture if I thought I'd be playing Apoc more often!

SilverScorpion
06-11-2007, 09:27
I posted a thread in the tactics forum about super heavy flyer tactics that may be of some interest to people

Dio´Ra
06-11-2007, 10:18
so how good would a whole Inquisition force be transported in flyers?
and how reliable are flyers? havnt bought the apoc book yet, but are all weapon upgrades for lets say vultures listed in the apoc book, or just standard equipment?
and one more thing which aircraft are handled in the apoc book? example are the lightning strike and aquila lander handled?

MorningLightMountain
06-11-2007, 10:32
havnt bought the apoc book yet, but are all weapon upgrades for lets say vultures listed in the apoc book, or just standard equipment?

Vulture's not in the Apoc book. Maybe it's going to be in the IA:Apocalypse book. Thunderbolt and Marauder are the only Imperial flyers in there specifically, although all flyers in Apoc behave, like Apoc flyers rather than IA flyers. There's just no datasheet. Thunderbolt still has option to take Missiles or Bombs, but none of the upgrades listed in IA like ejector seats and chaff launchers and stuff. Just makes the whole thing less complex; more time for killin'.

adreal
06-11-2007, 11:18
Well I made a VDR for my 'hellblade' (it was a proxie) and it did a grand toal for move 36", missed a pred (with two twin linked autocannons) and got shot down by a bolter.......a ******* bolter......lol best 175pts I ever spent........

I actually wasn't playing that game, but my list was being used by a firend who wanted to play apoc

Varath- Lord Impaler
06-11-2007, 11:41
Ive been wondering, has the marauder Destroyer become more expensive, the same, or less?

Heres hoping for less, i would like a pair of them :P

Malorian
06-11-2007, 22:31
Well I'm glad I'm hearing more 'it was fun' than 'it totally killed everything' : )

Chaplain Ark
06-11-2007, 23:57

i suggest wood. seriously. coat hangers with resin models=funny , but expensive moments. I lost my only flyer i have ever had, as of yet, because i took an idea like that, used wood base though. and when i moved it the coat hanger bent and the plane nosed dived into one of my friends terrain buildings. We cold not stop laughing for like 5 minuets, but the plane was ruined.

I <3 W
07-11-2007, 03:45
Well I've been thinking of feilding a t-hawk eventually*sigh*. I'll be using a large,glossy acrylic rod (its see-through BTW). Id take a large base (wood, titan base or hockey puck and just weight it. It would look good and work well. I bet it could even hold up that 7kilo t-hawk (the metalone from '91). Anyhow I think that is the best option for large planes and just get a slightly smaller piece for fighters etc.

inquisitor solarris
07-11-2007, 15:17
i found thunderbolts great fun especially when u wipe out 16 genestealers with bombing and then the rest shot down by the autocannons then next turn kill a carnefex.

MrShhhsh
07-11-2007, 15:41
I had the fun of playing against a Thunderbolt and a Lightning. They managed to destroy my only AA unit, a Demolisher tank, and to shake or stun several other tanks through out the game. In terms of damage, they really didn't do all that much but but it could have been a lot worse, just a matter of roll of the dice.
The one thing that flyers were really good at was the fear factor. Having those buzzards flying around in my back yard was really annoying. I had mostly tanks on the deployed but I could see just how harmful that they could be on infantry.
BTW, they got my one and only AA unit but I did manage to shoot one of them down with a missle pod from a Crisis suite.