PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about the Vespid.

MrBigMr
05-11-2007, 19:16
All I really know about them, is from Wikipedia. What else is there on them? How do they view the world? Do they have individual goals, or are they just insects following the queen or something. What about the masks the strain leaders have? Does it have anything other function than to translate communication with the Tau and Vespid?

I'm asking as I'm planning to have various things (I'm already going to have a Tau and at least 2 Kroots) in my Chaos army and was looking at other models as well. The Vespid strain leader looks like a nice one and with some alteration I should be able to make it have some more armor and maybe replace the gun.

I'm just wondering would the extra weight of the armor make it impossible for him to fly (like how heavy armor negates the Eldar fleet rule), and as such I should make him into an infantry soldier. I could also put him into an assault marine squad, but it would take some time and effort to give him the right weapons.

superknijn
05-11-2007, 19:30
All the fluff there is si in the Codex: Tau Empire, just borrow that are skim it the next time you go to a shop.

Bretonnian Lord
05-11-2007, 20:03
There are some rumors that the masks worn by the strain leaders were created by Tau engineers to not only facilitate communication between Vespid and Tau, but also allow the Ethereals to control the Vespid.

MrBigMr
05-11-2007, 20:11
There are some rumors that the masks worn by the strain leaders were created by Tau engineers to not only facilitate communication between Vespid and Tau, but also allow the Ethereals to control the Vespid.
I believe it was stated in some article that the Vespid are truly into the Greater Good and not due to the masks.

Forbiddenknowledge
05-11-2007, 22:13
It was shown in vespid fluff that their Hive like society (not to be confused with the nids) was near identical to the Tau ideal - all members of the Hive contributing for the good of the Hive, which made them easy to sign up for the empire, however communication was difficult as they had a totally different mind set to the Tau.

The Communion helms facilitated talk, and finding a shared set of ideals, the vespid were fine with joining.

However, a throwaway, pointless line had to be chucked in to appease the people who could not handle the Tau being different to everyone else - nice, and not likely to kill on site. Some people could not accept this, so GW had to put in this line, and the one about the "Pheremonal Mind Control" to keep them happy.

Repzik
05-11-2007, 22:27

if they can control then then why dont they get an extra bounis for being in LOS of an etheral, and why dosnt the Price of failure rule effect them either?

DantesInferno
05-11-2007, 22:29
But, at the instruction of the Ethereals, the Earth caste constructed a communications interface device that facilitated a degree of understanding between the races. This device was later developed into the "communion helm" worn by Vespid leaders.

Uniquely at the time of their integration, the Vespids welcomed their place within the Tau empire. They bowed to the pre-eminence of the Ethereals completely and without debate. It has been whispered that this acceptance is linked to the fact that all of the race's leaders wear the interface helmets given to them by the Tau, but no evidence of this claim has proved forthcoming.

Make of it what you will...

The Vespid certainly proved valuable to the Tau Empire after they joined its forces, filling a niche in its armed forces with their unique technology.

For the Greater Good, of course.

The Orange
05-11-2007, 23:19
What about the masks the strain leaders have? Does it have anything other function than to translate communication with the Tau and Vespid?
That's exactly what their for.

I'm just wondering would the extra weight of the armor make it impossible for him to fly (like how heavy armor negates the Eldar fleet rule),
To be honest their really isn't much into either way. However female vespids are known to be larger and more resilient, thus they are the one's used to go into the depths of their home world to harvest crystals for their weapons. So I don't think extra weight is too much of a stretch.

However, a throwaway, pointless line had to be chucked in to appease the people who could not handle the Tau being different to everyone else .... Some people could not accept this, so GW had to put in this line, and the one about the "Pheremonal Mind Control" to keep them happy.
Yes of course, god (ahem greater good) forbid the Tau actually might use underhanded techniques to win once in a while :rolleyes:.

Tehkonrad
06-11-2007, 00:11
yeah the orange is right