PDA

View Full Version : vampire lords

lector#1
06-11-2007, 04:44
what is the best type of character to lead a summon heavy magic list

can a blood dragon lord have magic levels and what is the max he can get i was thinking of him and 3 level 2 necromancers some fell bats black nights and then summon up lots and lots of skellies

Ward.
06-11-2007, 05:22
Necrachs I guess, yes a blood dragon can, but he generates less power dice.

Go with zombies, they're easier to summon, you get more of them and they're worth less victory points.

Also vampire counts are getting a new book soon.

EDIT: If you do go with skele's, start with many small blocks of armored ones.

lector#1
06-11-2007, 05:33
so necrach mounted in a unit of black nights?.

or is a vampire army better lead by a blod dragon with necromancer backing up?

eleveninches
06-11-2007, 13:15
best for summoning: lv4 master necromancer (cloak of M&S, plus either warrior familiar or obsidian amulet or powerstone and scroll)

Or, a lv3 count (necrarch, nehekharas noble blood, either dark acolyte or sword of unholy power, powerstone)

ViperMagnum357
08-11-2007, 02:46
Depends on your style and tactics. Taking a Blood Dragon is saying you really want to break something in half... tool him up and stick him with wights- turn the unit into a line-breaker, something difficult to do in VC without a vampire. In a footslogger horde, a strigoi usually makes a more reliable woodchipper for your opponent's elites, and one more power dice out of the bag. Necrarch's have the easiest time constructing a horde, but then you usually have to hold them back so they don't get insta-gibbed by powerhouses like tomb kings, other vampires:cries:, or loaded lord:wtf:s. What are you running for core and mobility? Von Carstein running with dire wolves throws a stick in the spokes of most battle plans, but leaves him vulnerable to combat resolution:skull:. Lahmia can mess with his general, but no guarantees. Overall, depends on what you want to use, but Blood Dragon or Strigoi for steamrolling units, necrarchs for hordes and range of power, Lahmia for assassination:angel:, and Von Carstein for anything else you can think of.

sainthale1988
08-11-2007, 09:51
i've got a von carstein count (with nearly obligitory ring and billowing cape) backed up by 3 necromancers (one with cloak of mist and shadows, one with book of arnak and black perift, one with power familier) so thats 4 lv2 casters in 2000pts and the general shouldn't die too easily (exept dwarf thanes with the damn rune of fire and empire fire wizards with van horstmans speculam......) i nearly always have more models on the board at the end that i started with.

Lucky24/7
08-11-2007, 09:56
well then you should be fine sain, cant see too much getting in your way. possibly think about taking a vamp lord ? but he dose become a point sink.

But I take a HLP that normally comes up to 325 points :D and then a casket that comes just past 300 so :D I LOVE point sinks :D

sainthale1988
08-11-2007, 10:13
no elves, they get in my way..... i h8 them so much with there good magic and accurate shooting (**** of you can hit me at 30" when i'm on foot and in a wood behind a wall!) also lots of zombies die and that 30pt per raised unit to the enamy + anything else they kill. also if my vampire does die then everything falls apart (literally)
as far as lords are conserned there too expensive in a 2k game, and at 3k or more i take manfread anyway