PDA

View Full Version : new army lots of choices!!!! help!!!!!

lector#1
06-11-2007, 09:08
ok i havent played fantasy for a long time well i havent played 40k for a long time either so treat me as a new commer im trying to find a good fast to build easy to paint competative list in mind i had

all infantry orc list (mostly savage)
vampire list (heavy summoning)
calvary heavy empire (lead by karl franz or kurt hellborg)
lizard men (lead by kroq-gar)
goblin magic heavy (lead by skarsnik)
dwarfs (lead by engineers with big guns) well its a gun line army.....

im aiming at any army really just not ogres and elves are ok but i tend to steer away from them low defence isnt my preferance
pleas help im very confused i have exactly 1 week to figure out what im going to do and get it started.

Grinloc
06-11-2007, 09:46
all infantry orc list (mostly savage): Orc boyz are way better than savage orcs and cheaper as well. Frenzied troops tend to get lead around by competent opponents and always have to pursue and overrun.
Additionally using frenzied troops can get quite dangerous when it comes to animosity.
Savage orc boyz might be good when charging but those disadvantages don't make it worth it.

goblin magic heavy (lead by skarsnik): This would be ok, but Skarznik isn't a shaman. He's just a CC general with light armor and a big fat squig, think gobbla is his name.
He counts as one model with 6 wounds, has a staff with a bound spell which shoots a magic missile with power level 5 and Gobbla can't be attacked seperately.
There's one thing about Skarznik which is nice: When deployment starts, everytime your opponent puts one of his units on the table Skarznik rolls a dice.
If the result is a "6" that one enemy unit isn't deployed as normal, but appears at the start of the opponent's first turn, as if it had pursued off the table.
Had that happen once against an empire gunline, we both were lying below the table laughing our rears off :).

When it comes to greenskin hordes in general you might want to look at black orc heroes/lords for a tool against animosity. Furthermore when it comes to magic heavy goblin hordes i guess you wouldn't want an army with its highest LD value of being 7.

Can't give any infos on the other stuff since i haven't played with it so far.

Killoran
06-11-2007, 10:57
I play with a Vampire Counts heavy summoning army at the moment. It is a reasonably fun army to play with, however i have found for the list to work correctly you must completely overload of necromancers or run the risk of having your spells dispelled a lot, which then usually leads to a defeat if you cannot raise the amount of units needed, or dance macabre them at a vital point. This can lead to the list beeing very boring to play with as it leaves very little room for different tactics or spur of th moment ideas to try and catch your opponent off guard. Also, with the new release of Vampire Counts scheduled for next year i wouldnt bother starting a new army, unless you dont mind having old miniatures...something i hate!!
Hope this is helpfull.

lector#1
06-11-2007, 11:09
yeah i hate having old minatures aswell so you just killed the vampires from my head im leening towards a gunline dwarf army

Grinloc
06-11-2007, 11:22
I frequently played against VC and sadly often enough it ended up in the same things Killoran mentioned. Summoning troops is one of VC's strong points.
What an opponent doesn't want naturally is losing combat against an outnumbering fear causing unit. Therefor i almost always loaded up on multiple shamans as scroll caddies to prevent any summoning from happening. I, as an O&G's player didn't need CC heroes since core skeletons (as an example) are (CC-ability-wise) basically fear causing goblins.
The often enough only thing my heroes would have been useful for is fighting those vampire lords. But those were usually so expensive that my heroes didn't stand a chance against them.

My usual recipe against them when it came to my hero choices (2000p):

4 shamans, 8 dispel scrolls. "Either cast your summoning spells with IF or it won't happen at all". Could this be considered somewhat "cheesy"? Maybe, but it just was an almost idiot-prove recipe for success more often than not.

Grinloc
06-11-2007, 11:31
When it comes to dwarves...

They are a very reliable army with outstanding shooting and magic defence.
Playing a dwarven army based on infantry instead of shooting can be considered challenging since those lil guys are pretty slow.
Wanting to play a dwarven gunline is basically fine, i just don't know if you are a type of player who would want to limit himself to more or less one style of play.

lector#1
06-11-2007, 11:34
hahahahah how do you figure that????

Grinloc
06-11-2007, 11:42
I'm guessing, that's all.
Two players of my local community became interested in trying dwarves, but didn't want to "switch" to them due to the difference in power between a highly functional gun line and a quite less powerful infantry based army. Not to mention they normally tend to play armies with cavalry and dwarves simply don't provide that.
I'm not saying that infantry based dwarven armies can't be successful, but getting outmanouvred can happen quite easily against some armies.

lector#1
06-11-2007, 11:55
ohhhhhkay but all of my fantasy armies i havent used gunlines or calvary like i used chaos and only had 1 unit of knights and the rest are marauders or warriors.

the reason why im going for a dwarven gun line is because it seems you can tool out a dwarven lord to be good at ranged attacks and be sufficently backed up with good ranged units the reason why im going for a gunline army is because its a change of pase im getting bored with magic heavy armies and fast pased armies and combat orientaded armies.

and the drunk little guys with big guns seem to be a fun idea and i have a funny conversion in mind.
either a double barreled gun (gonna use the organ gun bits) but if they are to big im going to put 2 normal guns together and just widen the tips of the barrels to look like to old school pirate shot guns:evilgrin:

Kroxigore
06-11-2007, 12:21
ok i havent played fantasy for a long time well i havent played 40k for a long time either so treat me as a new commer im trying to find a good fast to build easy to paint competative list in mind i had

all infantry orc list (mostly savage)
vampire list (heavy summoning)
calvary heavy empire (lead by karl franz or kurt hellborg)
lizard men (lead by kroq-gar)
goblin magic heavy (lead by skarsnik)
dwarfs (lead by engineers with big guns) well its a gun line army.....

im aiming at any army really just not ogres and elves are ok but i tend to steer away from them low defence isnt my preferance
pleas help im very confused i have exactly 1 week to figure out what im going to do and get it started.

I am a fan of Lizardmen. I think they are awesome. And if you're looking at an army, that are good at taking damage (or rather not taking damage), they might be the thing, you're looking for. Though I personally prefer the Slann as a leader (ld 9 with cold blooded is unbeatable!), I think, they should also work well with an oldblood.
The point about Kroq Gar, that I don't like, is Saurus Cavalry. I'm not a fan of them. Though they are really awesome against all sorts of regiments, they get shot down too easyly for their points cost imo.

Onisuzume
06-11-2007, 13:52
As for being "shot down too easily" they're still high toughness reasonable armour save units. S3 shooting weapons won't be the thing you'll have to fear(much)

put 2 normal guns together and just widen the tips of the barrels to look like to old school pirate shot guns
Like a Blunderbuss?
If so; I suggest you look at the Chaos Dwarfs range.
They have plenty of blunderbusses.
There might also be one or two around in mordheim.

Kroxigore
06-11-2007, 14:37
As for being "shot down too easily" they're still high toughness reasonable armour save units. S3 shooting weapons won't be the thing you'll have to fear(much)

Like a Blunderbuss?
If so; I suggest you look at the Chaos Dwarfs range.
They have plenty of blunderbusses.
There might also be one or two around in mordheim.

Yeah, strength 3 isn't anything to fear, but that's normal for Cavalry. The point is, they are admittedly really good at killing things, but if you compare them with other armies' heavy cavalry, they honestly suck. If you compare them for instance with those imperial knights of the inner circle, those don't have to fear anything below str. 5 due to their 1+ armor save. And in this weapon category, a toughness of 4 doesn't really make a huge difference to 3. Plus those guys are that much cheaper than Saurus Cavallery, that they don't need two attacks to break an enemy (especially with that banner, that gives the unit fear on the charge and the fact, that they do have strength 6 on the charge!).
Well, all in all, I think, there is a use for them in a Lizardmen army, but I wouldn't field them en masse.

Darwin_green
06-11-2007, 21:11
well, if your thinking of Savage orcs.. take a look at these models

http://www.webstoreinchhighgames.com/savage-orc-10-pa.html