PDA

View Full Version : is a Wolf Rider army viable?

Gratan
06-11-2007, 13:05
I was over at a friendís house playing a friendly game and I was borrowing his goblin army. I had a few units of Wolf riders and I was really impressed with them, their speed and maneuverability. I was talking with my friend about them and wondering how a whole army of Wolf Riders would work. Is this a possibility to be an effective army at 2000pts? I was thinking 3 big units of 12 (6x2) with Spear and shield (no longer fast cav so they get rank bonus). The rest would be units of 6 with spears for flanking. Heroes would be a Warboss and 3 scroll caddy shamans. Maybe a few Wolf chariots for extra hitting power.
It sounds like a really fun list to play but I was wondering if it would even be worth it as an effective force. I know thereís Animosity to deal with but thatís part of the fun! They are Goblins after all! Has anyone had experience fielding or facing an army like this?

Buckero0
06-11-2007, 13:15
I was over at a friendís house playing a friendly game and I was borrowing his goblin army. I had a few units of Wolf riders and I was really impressed with them, their speed and maneuverability. I was talking with my friend about them and wondering how a whole army of Wolf Riders would work. Is this a possibility to be an effective army at 2000pts? I was thinking 3 big units of 12 (6x2) with Spear and shield (no longer fast cav so they get rank bonus). The rest would be units of 6 with spears for flanking. Heroes would be a Warboss and 3 scroll caddy shamans. Maybe a few Wolf chariots for extra hitting power.
It sounds like a really fun list to play but I was wondering if it would even be worth it as an effective force. I know thereís Animosity to deal with but thatís part of the fun! They are Goblins after all! Has anyone had experience fielding or facing an army like this?

It's viable, anything is viable if you're a decent general. As you can imagine, you're going to have to get a whole lot more points on the board somehow to reach 2000. They are super cheap. Very few people would want to play you, and as with all goblin hordes, one bad leadership roll will send you off the table.

Avian
06-11-2007, 14:54
It's probably not an army I would recommend unless you have a good deal of experience at the game, because they do have some problems and 12-14 pts for a WS2, T3, Ld6 model with unimpressive armour save is a bit problematic to build your army around.

A block of 12 wolf riders is slightly less than 200 pts, though, and you are going to need quite a few more than 3 of them if you want an all-wolf army. A mixed cavalry army (which I am currently running) is probably more viable and interesting to use and I would probably recommend you try that instead.

Very few people would want to play you,...
Eh? :confused:

Gratan
06-11-2007, 15:14
I think he means it wouldnt be fun because if I fail a few panic checks my entire army could run off the board *grins* It definitely possible...

I had meant 3 big units of 12 as non fast cav units and then 4-6 units of 6 as fast cav for flanking.

Avian
06-11-2007, 16:12
That's approximately 1,000 pts. You can throw in four chariots as your Special choices to add another 250 pts, but 750 pts of goblin characters to get you to 2,000 pts is a bit hard to do ;)

RogueGeneralHunter
06-11-2007, 16:13
Is that you S?

I think it's a darn viable army. Considering how well the Wolves (And Spiders) did. I do think that relying on a Ld 6 General is a problem. I took the same army against a 1000 point Skaven horde the next day. I attempted to use the same tactics as Gratan but the Ratmen would have none of it. By the third turn I did not have to make animosity rolls any more. All of the goblins were in combat, Running from combat, or dead because of combat. :cries:

By the end of turn 5 only two wolf rides remained on the board. I now have a healthy respect (And hatred :mad:) for Plague Monks and Plague Censer Bearers.

I think a mix of Wolves and Spiders might work better.

R.G. Hunter