PDA

View Full Version : Space marine knowledge

khorne666
06-11-2007, 18:25
Are standard marines (ie. not high ranking as such) actually aware that the emporer is stuck in the golden throne? Just curious as it's not exactly essential for them to know but if they believe their emporer is stioll in fighting condition then many would fight all the harder in the hope of meeting him some day. Obviously many of the first founding chapters and deffinately the blood angels wouls know, but I mean everyone else.

ryng_sting
06-11-2007, 18:31
Yes - all of them.

Chaplain Dionitas
06-11-2007, 18:33
Space Marines go through extensive psycho-conditioning and hypno-training. They're quite intelligent. I'm pretty sure that all Marines know the story of the Heresy.

Kandarin
06-11-2007, 18:35
Not just Marines, but Guardsmen, Sisters, and more or less everyone in the Imperium save a few backwards extremist Imperial cults know about it. Imperial religion is very much based upon the idea of the god-Emperor suffering to protect his people.

sabreu
06-11-2007, 20:24
The Golden Throne and the Emperor? Yes

First Founding and Second Founding Marines know full story? Yes

Other Foundings? IMHO I would say no, but it's debateable.

Full History of the Heresy? Marines, Yes. Gaurdsmen, No. The Inquisition, Yes. Sisters of Battle, No.

The Average Imperial Citizen knowing anything except the first question I posted? Heck no!

OnlyInDeath
06-11-2007, 20:27
They know about the Emperor, and most people in the Imperium are aware of the Horus Heresy, probably as an ancient fable...I remember reading a story about a Navy pilot telling his squad the Horus Heresy story in the form of the Emperor as an Eagle and Horus as a snake.

sabreu
06-11-2007, 21:11
Theres been a bunch of statements in many rules books that the emperiums citizens usually don't know anything of that sort.

He who is doom
06-11-2007, 21:19
think of it ths way they need their weapons to know that the seeds of heresy can affect them. i would that the average citizan would know not of the heresy for to think that the space marines could fall would cause undue fear and mistrust of marines.

the guard would know of the fall too for they may have to face them someday

Burnthem
06-11-2007, 22:03
I know that the chances of your average imperial citizen actually coming into contact with a chaos marine are infintesimally (sp) small, but surely in the thousands of years since the Heresy word must have got about? Or is it a case of "There's a marine! He must be on our side!" *SPLAT*

As for the guard, some regiments would know the whole story, others wouldnt know a single bit, the universe is a big place, there would a huge variation of the amount of knowledge various people had :)

Maidel
06-11-2007, 22:07
I know that the chances of your average imperial citizen actually coming into contact with a chaos marine are infintesimally (sp) small, but surely in the thousands of years since the Heresy word must have got about? Or is it a case of "There's a marine! He must be on our side!" *SPLAT*

As for the guard, some regiments would know the whole story, others wouldnt know a single bit, the universe is a big place, there would a huge variation of the amount of knowledge various people had :)

Im not so sure about this. They will more than likely know about the horus heresy - its 'ancient history' to them - but I seriously doubt if they know that they are still a very REAL threat (unless we are talking about a gate world like cadia - even then Id be surprised if they knew the full story)

There are plenty of stories about entire imperial guard regiments being decimated BY THE INQUISITION because they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and were involved in the fighting of daemons. Please note this is NOT guard fighting WITH the daemons but imperial guard fighting WITH the inquistion AGAINST daemons.

sabreu
06-11-2007, 22:08
I think it's along the line of a 'A Marine! He must be on our side!'. There have been precedents before on that. But your right, there is a big room for huge variation. It just depends on the orginization, how old your unit is, etc etc. Those worlds directly involved with the Horus Heresy would no doubt have some sort of history on it, collected or verbal. Verbal stories change though and and those traditions will usually deride into a sort of myth or A.K.A Imperial foot notes found in the codex'. :p

Higherlander
07-11-2007, 01:03
IIRC, the short story "Liberation Day" was based on the *SPLAT* idea.
"Help! We're prisoners of the Orks!"
"No worries, we're on our way to liberate you, bwa ha ha!"

Burnthem
07-11-2007, 08:41
There are plenty of stories about entire imperial guard regiments being decimated BY THE INQUISITION because they happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and were involved in the fighting of daemons. Please note this is NOT guard fighting WITH the daemons but imperial guard fighting WITH the inquistion AGAINST daemons.

Whilst that used to be true, that no longer happens, as seen in the IIUP Guard that fight Chaos are no longer routinely 'purged' as they once were, they are only killed now if there is obviously a taint present. i geuss that the sheer amount of Guard that were being wasted was too much for even the almost-infinite resources of the Imperium to handle.

LordXaras
07-11-2007, 10:45
And perhaps the Inquisition figured that soldiers from a regiment that had faced Chaos might actually be a resource for them rather than a liability (what I'm saying is that many Inquisitorial Stormtroopers would be recruited from such regiments. It would be obvious who was mentally broken and who was hardened by the event).

Kymar
07-11-2007, 13:47
From the conditioned teaching they get as initiates, the SM are definitely going to know the Emperor is on the Golden Throne, mortally wounded, but kept alive from his own devine power. Now as to the fact if most SM know that hundreds of innocents are sacrificed to "feed" the Emperor, or that the Astronomican is really created by the fevered worshiping of thousands of devotes psykers; I doubt most SM would have that knowledge.

Oh and as to the general citizens, they'd probably know the story of the Hersey, but from a skewed perspective where the Emperor is victorious and chaos was eliminated/broken.

And as to the identification of SM or CSM, most citizens would be freaked out either way: SM are the Emperor's Angels of Death, if you see one, you've undoubtable sinned and will die as penance. The only exception to that is the Salamander SM, because it is noted that they live together with the general populace of their homeworld and are greatly revered.

Burnthem
07-11-2007, 14:09
And as to the identification of SM or CSM, most citizens would be freaked out either way: SM are the Emperor's Angels of Death, if you see one, you've undoubtable sinned and will die as penance. The only exception to that is the Salamander SM, because it is noted that they live together with the general populace of their homeworld and are greatly revered.

Its not just the Sallies that are regularly exposed to normal citizens, dont forget that whatever planets a Chapter recruits from is gonna have a pretty good idea what the Marines are/look like. I think that the level of information about them available to the average citizen (is there really such a thing?) would be akin to what we know about our special forces today.

We know what they look like, roughly what equipment they use and what they do, you may if you're lucky actually see one, but only if your lucky. So i think that although they may be comparitively rare when compared to the untold billions of normal humans, i dont think that they are that much of a mystery, feared yes, but 'Astartes? Who?' no....

The pestilent 1
07-11-2007, 14:10
To be honest I think the Average Imperial Guardsmen knows roughly this of the Heresy;
"There's some bad marines to. If it has Spikes or is with some weird tentacle thing, shoot it"

Possibly in a similar vein to the Fallen angels of the bible, as far as I can recall abso-*******-lutely nothing of the War in heaven is mentioned, other than there being some bad dudes.

trigger
07-11-2007, 17:13
I think it's along the line of a 'A Marine! He must be on our side!'. There have been precedents before on that. But your right, there is a big room for huge variation. It just depends on the orginization, how old your unit is, etc etc. Those worlds directly involved with the Horus Heresy would no doubt have some sort of history on it, collected or verbal. Verbal stories change though and and those traditions will usually deride into a sort of myth or A.K.A Imperial foot notes found in the codex'. :p

Alot of imperials have never seen a marine they are fable ledgend
this includes guard , sisters and even some inquisitors , and in any case if you sor a marine chaos or imperial you would crap yourself, and know it ment trouble

Leftenant Gashrog
07-11-2007, 21:48
Whilst that used to be true, that no longer happens, as seen in the IIUP Guard that fight Chaos are no longer routinely 'purged' as they once were, they are only killed now if there is obviously a taint present.

Admitedly I'm not all that familiar with its actual contents, but I dont really see the IIUP as being all that relevant: its an in-character document, even if they did still routinely purge guard who had encounted chaos they surely wouldnt say so in the IIUP, since it would effectively be saying "in the event of encountering this enemy your only hope for survival is to switch sides" ~ hardly the sort of thing you want every one of yours soldiers to read..

OnlyInDeath
07-11-2007, 23:13
To be honest I think the Average Imperial Guardsmen knows roughly this of the Heresy;
"There's some bad marines to. If it has Spikes or is with some weird tentacle, shoot it.

Thats probably roughly it. I can see them showing a 50's esque Health Video

"But wait Billy, not ALL Space Marines are your friends!"

He who is doom
08-11-2007, 02:56
think about what happened to the hives in (lord of night) it is a good book and it gives some insite to the Iom