PDA

View Full Version : Dark Apostle, thoughts and complaints?

Orion the Lost
06-11-2007, 19:15
I just finished this book and, after slogging through Descent of Angels, I thought it was very good. It's nice to see some of the inner workings of the lesser known chaos legions. SPOILER. I will say that the part in the book where a handfull of terminators take down a Imperator titan was almost too much. All in all it was a fun and fast paced read. My favorite character was probably Varnus, the enforcer that becomes a slave. What are some of your thoughts?

kortholaxthedamned
06-11-2007, 19:20
I dunno about it. It seemed decent enough, and I like the Adeptus Mechanicus making an appearance, but...it was lacking something. I can't put my finger on it.

Joewrightgm
06-11-2007, 19:29
I liked the absolutly brutal look into the life of a chaos labor slave. I kind of felt cheated with the appearence of the Necrons at the end though. As soon as I read "Jet Black" "obsidian" "pyramids" in no particular order, Necrons jumped up from the shadows as the boogeymen that were to out-do the Word Bearers.

Earthbeard
06-11-2007, 20:09
The only bit of this Book i didn't like really was the be brutal and honest THE END, just felt tacked on and cheapened the rest of the book.

As for the above mentioned spoiler, thats what Marines and Terminators do!

Dreachon
06-11-2007, 20:12
It's nice to see fluff that doesn't protray the chaos legions are bands of madmen, I do agree on the poor ending and the appereance of the necrons could shouldn't be.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
06-11-2007, 20:14
I dunno about it. It seemed decent enough, and I like the Adeptus Mechanicus making an appearance, but...it was lacking something. I can't put my finger on it.

I totally agree with you. I loved the first book Grey Knights, and it was awesome to see the life of a normal human on a Chaos-controlled planet, but the book just seemed to kind of trail off at the end. It didn't mesh well. It was like, good story, good story, WHAM! it's the end. Maybe I'm crazy, I'll go back and read it again.

Damien 1427
06-11-2007, 20:15
I have to chime in with the ending. "Suddenly, Necrons appear!" :rolleyes:

Beyond that, it was good. Nothing special, nothing earth-shattering. Just a typical by the numbers Black Library book.

vipernyc
06-11-2007, 20:22
Yeah, the necrons just had no place in there. I thought it did a good job of showing the fine line between ambition and obedience that all chaos marines need to walk in order to survive, though.

Orion the Lost
07-11-2007, 02:12
Yeah, I will agree the necrons almost seemed too much. But, I've pretty much accepted them as the go to "lost xeno tech" race. Before them, writers could say it was some long dead race and be really vague about it. Now, however, it seems just easier to give it a name and to not be so vague.

Plus, the Word Bearers didn't seem to know what they were. And they weren't over the top. They were just there. Which, I guess, is not that great in and of itself. So, apparently I just talked myself in a circle and now think that writers should go back to "unknown xeno" races.

The thing I really liked was seeing how close the Word Bearers are to Imperials. If not for the subject of their worship, they could almost fit into the echlesiarchy.:angel:

Warp_touched
07-11-2007, 05:29
I hated every bit of it.

I thought it was poorly written, totally unplausible, and all in all, a big rip off of Storm of Iron.

I forced my way through the ending, throughout the rest of the book it was mediocre at best.

Honestly, how did you enjoy it?!

kortholaxthedamned
07-11-2007, 15:56
I hated every bit of it.

I thought it was poorly written, totally unplausible, and all in all, a big rip off of Storm of Iron.

I forced my way through the ending, throughout the rest of the book it was mediocre at best.

Honestly, how did you enjoy it?!

Because people enjoy different things to you, no doubt?

Halcyon504
07-11-2007, 16:07
I'm a sucker for Word Bearers. I love every little thing of those hate filled Chaos Zealots. :D

But I'm still on the fence when it comes to Dark Apostle. I felt that the book could've been written better at some parts, such as introducing and developing Guard characters that die on the next page, and that **HORRID** ending. On the other hand, it's a great example of what Chaos/Marines do best...kick ass. Was the action enough to justify me liking the book? Not really. I do like substance in what I read other than just action, so it was a bit of a let down in that regard as well.

I love how intelligent and "sane" these Chaos Marines were represented, especially Warmonger(?), the "sane" Chaos Dread. Pretty interesting character there. I keep sayin' that even though Chaos Marines are throw into the folds of Chaos, many of them still kept the same tactical and strategic thinking of their loyalist counterparts, and this book displays that too.

On the ending....ugh. It's why I hate Necrons. They just seem to force themselves into everyone's fluff even in places they just shouldn't be.

Savior Angel
07-11-2007, 16:10
I thought it was a great book.

Vaktathi
07-11-2007, 16:29
I'm actually reading through this book right now, I'm about 2/3rds of the way through and I'm really liking it so far, although it IS getting old with every book that has marines in it killing anything thats not a marine by their hundreds for every one of them that falls.

nazrag
07-11-2007, 16:56
The book itself was quite amusing actually. Finally a book where the kill-count makes sense!

Allthough the end is standard GW of late; The C'tan did it! :rolleyes: