PDA

View Full Version : Snakebite Fluff ??

sugarwookie
07-11-2007, 00:19
I don't have the older codex books going past 3rd edition and I'd like very much to build a Snakebite army when the new rules come out. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with some info? I'm trying to figure out what I should and shouldn't use for mini's......

Thanx,

Wookie

Argastes
07-11-2007, 01:00
Here's what the 2nd Edition codex says:

"Snakebites use technology reluctantly and always feel more comfortable with simple machinery and well-established Orky ways and values. They preserve, some practices that other orks have long since abandoned, and shun certain aspects of recently developed technology. Probably the best example of this is their practice of riding into battle mounted on the back of a ferocious warboar!

The Snakebites can be distinguished from other orks by their tattooed skin, clothes, furs, and rather backwards appearance. Their name comes from the strange initiation rites of the clan, which involve the new Snakebite being bitten by poisonous snakes and then sucking out the venom straight away to prove his toughness. They are a nomadic clan who rarely settle in one place for long, and always seem to "lookin' fer sumfink" and "wanderin' orf". They always carry a selection of snakes with them when they migrate to a new planet, just in case the local serpents should prove unsuitably inoffensive."

Well, there you have it. As far as modeling them goes, I would say to make sure all your boys are suitably primitive-looking; lots of furs, leathers, hair-squig topknots, severed heads hanging from belts, and so forth; and not a lot of helmets, armor plates, etc. If you mix in parts from the WHFB Orc Boys sprue, that would go a long way towards making them look primitive (one of my own slugga boy mobs is done that way, and it works quite well). The distinctive troop type of the Snakebites, the boarboys, are unfortunately no longer a part of the Ork army list, but you could always use boarboy models and treat them as warbikers. I know the current codex allows you to field them without the big shootas for reduced points cost (which would make more sense, because I never saw a boar-boy with a pair of big guns on his boar), but I can't say whether the new codex will have the same option. I hope so, but who knows. Other than that, I would say steer clear of too much orky tech; no mega armor or kustom mega-blastas, not too many vehicles (especially not battlewagons and dreadnaughts), no zzap guns, no shokk-attack guns, no lootas, and so forth. Big gunz batteries made up of lobbas, modeled as squigbomb catapults, would fit in quite well. And of course, lots of squigs (attack squigs as wargear items, and also just squigs modeled onto bases without any rules representation). Also look into the Lizardman bits range for snake models; they'd probably look cool on bases, or used as attack squigs, or used in whatever other clever conversions you can think up.

Oh, and if you do want to include many vehicles, consider using squiggoths of various sizes to represent them. A squiggoth model would make a pretty good battlewagon.

sugarwookie
07-11-2007, 02:09
Thanks a heap! That's a good start! I'd love to find someone who's actually converted some boars into bikes using available models. It'd make for a great look I'm sure!

Weavetoucher
07-11-2007, 13:43
I am sure there was a 'feral ork' army list published in WD a couple of yeard ago, just after the 3rd war of armageddon i think, iIIRC it had rules for boarboys and squiggoths and stuff...

adders
08-11-2007, 07:26
Here's link to the PDF of the Feral Orks list if you're interested.

Link to Games Workshop site (http://uk.games-workshop.com/orks/feral%2Dork%2Dlist/1/)

Cheers