PDA

View Full Version : Charge to the front or flank?!?!

Lorquas
07-11-2007, 14:26
Hi

The following arose in a battle the other day.

I had a unit that could only see an enemy units flank zone. However, my unit (due to its size) was actually more in the enemies front zone than it's flank. There was no way my unit could wheel to charge the front so I said it had to charge into the flank. Is this correct or could my unit simply not charge as I couldn't reach the zone my unit was "mostly" in...

Thanks

Lorquas

Guyver OmegaX
07-11-2007, 14:32
I don't know any rule references, but I would support the flank charge in this case.

sainthale1988
07-11-2007, 14:35
if you are unable to see the front of the enamy unit (eg. they are already engaged by something of yours which is blocking the way) and you can see even a bit of the flank and its in range you flank charge. so you were right. the 'majority of the unit' thing is if you had the choice to charge front or flank

Lord of Skulls
07-11-2007, 15:09
if you are unable to see the front of the enamy unit (eg. they are already engaged by something of yours which is blocking the way) and you can see even a bit of the flank and its in range you flank charge. so you were right. the 'majority of the unit' thing is if you had the choice to charge front or flank
Are you sure about this? A page reference would be nice...

sainthale1988
07-11-2007, 15:25
yea, i was realy pived when i got told that one of my beast herd HAD to charge into the front rather than flank becuase it could see it as well. i'll find a page reference when i get home

T10
07-11-2007, 15:35
The charging unit's position in relation to target's rear, flank and front zones dictates which side it must engage.

This can produce the odd situation that y can see and reach the target unit, but will be unable to engage the appropriate side due to interposing terrain or units.

-T10

WLBjork
07-11-2007, 15:46
I agree with T10.

Atrahasis
07-11-2007, 16:41
You simply can't charge, as said by T10. Charging the correct facing is an absolute requirement.

DeathlessDraich
07-11-2007, 17:05
Can I add, that if the charger can reach the front/ flank corner, the charge is successful

Atrahasis
07-11-2007, 17:10
Yes, if and only if they can reach that corner as the first point of contact.

sainthale1988
08-11-2007, 09:24
yea but it get even more compliated with a large beast herd, where you need 1/4 to be in range and you can spread out A LOT!

TheDarkDaff
08-11-2007, 12:02
In that case you follow what the BRB tells you to do and "slide" the charging or charged unit (or both) to maximise contact even though it seems a wierd thing to do(pg 21 & 22) under the title "aligning the Combatants"..

Atrahasis
08-11-2007, 12:33
Sliding is explicitly against the rules, but is suggested as an amicable solution where both players agree.

TheDarkDaff
08-11-2007, 21:41
Seriously. The "Aligning the Combatants" section on pg 21 & 22 is very specific that you move one or both units to maximise contact for "free" as soon as the charge is found to be able to make contact.

Atrahasis
08-11-2007, 23:39
Yes, but "alignment" is not sliding.

The Errata/FAQ make very clear that alignment is a wheel of sorts and that sliding is not allowed by the rules.

TheDarkDaff
09-11-2007, 00:51
So the basic thing that happens is as you cant really wheel the charging unit you wheel the charged unit to face the chargers. This means that it could be possible to break the originally charged unit and continue your charge into the next units flank. Now you just have to find something to get in the way of your chargers to force the charged unit to wheel (it would have to move in the compulsory movement sub phase to beat the chargers or be an earlier declared charge in very specific circumstances most of the time).

theunwantedbeing
09-11-2007, 00:58
You are allowed to allign the enemy unit to your own once you have moved as far as is physically possible for your own unit assuming you made the greatest effort to reach the appropriate side.
Although this will be a rare occurance.

In the case of a large allignment required its better to simply fail the charge even if it is within reach as to avoid such circumstances.

T10
09-11-2007, 07:39
In the case of a large allignment required its better to simply fail the charge even if it is within reach as to avoid such circumstances.

That's just rubbish. If you are within reach you are within reach.

-T10