PDA

View Full Version : how many dispel dice to expect in 3k?

mortetvie
07-11-2007, 22:06
I am playing in a 3k point tournament with my tombkings and I have a **** ton of magic that can go off, just wondering how many dispel dice I can realistically expect at that level from all sorts of armies? I am guessing between 6-9 tops?

ViperMagnum357
08-11-2007, 01:28
In a 3k game, most armies will field at least 2-3 wizards, probably one as a second lord. medium magic armies (i.e. not Vampire Counts, Tomb Kings, or most Tzeentch builds) will usually stick with this, plus 2-4 dispel scrolls and a couple of bound items. Enough to take the edge off your raising and movement aid, with scrolls to stop crucial castings. Against magic heavies like VC, TK, and Tzeentch, you are probably looking at 4+ wizards; in the case of Vampires and Tzeentch, they can get away with it and not get tied down on hero slots, since their spellcasters are also powerful fighters. With them, upwards of 8 dispel dice is common, and you will cry if you see a Tzeentch player's power dice. Scrolls range from none (Tzeentch broken dispel staff of ridiculous awsomeness:evilgrin:) to upwards of 5 for a defensive VC army. Suggest staff of sorcery from common list: Surprisingly effective, especially versus armies that rely on sheer number of spells to push through the ones they want :eyebrows:(VC, Tzeentch). Staff has more staying power than two scrolls, and can help you through a long game, like most versus TK and VC.

Lucky24/7
08-11-2007, 08:53
I belive Viper is probly right.

I would suspect a littel more, a mean last week at gt 2k i dont know of an army i played wihtout 2 scolls some with 4 :S + the usual 4-5 dispel dice.

But playing Tk and taking a HLP you should find the scrolls should have disapeared by turn 2 and then your normally free to run amock with 1 dice casting.... god i love that :D

ithilmar
08-11-2007, 10:19
Against Khorne armies i would rather not know mny dice they have. For a high elf/dark elf army i would guess something like maybe 6 dice and 3 or 4 scrolls, assuming they take lvl 4 and 2 lvl 2 mages.

neo_ebrick
08-11-2007, 16:27
right?? 6 die??? when i play high elves at 3k i take a lvl 4, 3*lvl2 at least! thats 7 without items id say 8 in a med magic heavy high elf army.

mortetvie
08-11-2007, 16:43
Yeah, with a tomb prince, tomb king, 2 liche priests, liche high priest and casket I think I have the magic phase dominated by turn 3 or 4 when scrolls are gone and tomb scorpions hopefully take out some mages. That is 3 spells cast on d6, 3 cast on 2d6 (with casket) 2 cast on 3d6. Not to mention bound spells like banner of undying legion and staff of ravening.

smileyface
08-11-2007, 16:50
I am playing in a 3k point... I can realistically expect at that level from all sorts of armies? I am guessing between 6-9 tops?

Id say plan for five dice, some sort of bonus, and a couple of scrolls at the bottom end. As the points go up the potential for a lot of magic becomes more frightening, so people take more insurance. You could wind up facing a fairly magic heavy HE build and it could have 8 DD, a bonus, and 3-4 scrolls and still fit in some combat characters. Mostly people will have less than that, but the potential is there.