PDA

View Full Version : The root of all (WD) Evil.....

Lucifer216
08-11-2007, 12:17
After a conversation with a couple of my gaming friends, it suddenly dawned on us, what is probably the main problem with White Dwarf (aside from the continual barrage of BUY NOW OR THE INQUISTION WILL COME FOR YOU!, etc).

It's simply that the game systems are not sufficiently detailed or complicated enough for any tactical advice to be better than that written by a gamer of average intelligence and experience. For example, a tactica on tanks almost has no choice but to go down the following route:

Different types and roles of tanks
The importance of focused fire and using terrain
Oh and the obligatory, 3 tanks are better than 1 paragraph.

Even if GW really wanted to go in depth, the discussion would cease to be about tactics and would become a case of pouring over the slight differences in probability and value for points between different unit and wargear selections.

scarletsquig
08-11-2007, 13:33
Actually, there's plenty of room for in-depth tactica within 40k and fantasy, just look at any white dwarf before 310 (that issue is when Guy Haley, following a brief from the men in grey suits, made the changes that permanently ruined White Dwarf), and you'll find loads of great in-depth articles about tactics.

The army-specific ones were always great to read, even if you didn't collect the army. I'd recommend the 3-part Tomb Kings tactica that came out when they were released as the "gold standard" of what makes a damn good tactics article.

They just don't do it because I believe that, like every other department of GW, White Dwarf has suffered from large staff cuts over the last 2 years. They no longer have people producing high-quality written content for the magazine, because they fired them. This is an educated guess at best, but I can see no other explanation as to why the wordcount of the magazine suddenly dropped by around 60%. They even made the font size massive in a desperate attempt to disguise the lack of actual text.

If they could produce them they would. It wouldn't surprise me if most articles are now written by the same people that photoshop the big flashy photos together. The writing is simplistic and screams "I am trying to fill the 500-word quota on this page by repeatedly stating the obvious" rather than having any real style or creativity about it.

Blutrache
08-11-2007, 13:44
The lack of "real" content could be offset by making WD bi-monthly perhaps...

Between a glossy bitz catalogue coming out every month and a mag with actual content every second month, I know what I'd choose.

/Cheers

Vishok
08-11-2007, 13:47
Or you can do like the rest of us and just pretend it makes sense.

Custard
08-11-2007, 15:35
There was a series of top reads by a fella called Jeff Leong or similar (haven't got the WD's anymore and cant remember the name exactly). As I recall he wasn't on the GW payroll, yet had several, well written, funny articles. So, they can do it if they want.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
08-11-2007, 17:29
After a conversation with a couple of my gaming friends, it suddenly dawned on us, what is probably the main problem with White Dwarf (aside from the continual barrage of BUY NOW OR THE INQUISTION WILL COME FOR YOU!, etc).

It's simply that the game systems are not sufficiently detailed or complicated enough for any tactical advice to be better than that written by a gamer of average intelligence and experience. For example, a tactica on tanks almost has no choice but to go down the following route:

Different types and roles of tanks
The importance of focused fire and using terrain
Oh and the obligatory, 3 tanks are better than 1 paragraph.

Even if GW really wanted to go in depth, the discussion would cease to be about tactics and would become a case of pouring over the slight differences in probability and value for points between different unit and wargear selections.

That, and us 'Vets' already know the tricks, hence why White Dwarf ISN'T FOR VETERANS OF THE HOBBY.

White Dwarf is an introduction, nothing more, nothing less. If you want satisfying articles, might I suggest the free, and rather spanky, Webzines this very site produces now and again.

This has nothing to do with me being a writer for the Watchman. At all. Oh no. Totally impartial.

But seriously, White Dwarf caters to the younger and newer gamers. Those who aren't quite au fait with all the ins and outs of the various tanks and troops in the game. If you read the articles and feel like you know everything, then don't buy the thing.

Rotten
08-11-2007, 17:49
I must agree that the standard of WD (the UK version anyway) have fallen enormously. I don't know if I can pinpoint out exactly when the changes happened, but the mags I get nowadays are nowhere near as good as those from five years or so back. Whereas I used to lock myself up somewhere and read through the entire magazine whenever I got hold of a new issue, now I just flip through the pages in search for cool pictures or conversion ideas. The last ten issues currently lie in a pile in a closet. I have no desire or intention of reading them anytime soon, and I think that's sad.

I generally dislike the turn GW has taken during the last years. GW has lost its soul. I see it in marketing, in WD, in the minis, in the new and "better" rules, in the activities at the retail stores, everywhere. I really hope GW will pull together and get back to what it used to be, but I have serious doubts. :(

jfrazell
08-11-2007, 17:50
Making it free would work. At this point its just a marketing catalog. I don't pay for catalogs.

Ethlorien
08-11-2007, 18:38
I hadn't picked up a White Dwarf in years, then went ahead and thought 'what the heck' and bought that one issue (don't recall the number, garbage long since picked up) that came with the two free tiles for Mighty Empires. Wow, talk about your pieces of garbage! I knew the magazine was just a big advertisment for their own products, but that one was ridiculous.

"Buy the wizard and you can do this, here's every part of him seperately and painted. Now, for those of you still awake, here's the hellblaster ... not yet comatose? Well then, here's the flagellants sprue!"

My mistake for buying it, I know.

happy_doctor
08-11-2007, 19:10
Let's consider for a while who used to write for White Dwarf, and who does now...

THEN (good old days)

Nigel Stillman (the guy responsible for most of the original fluff behind the armies)
Rick Priestly (the guy responsible for the development of the WH tournament scene)
Andy Chambers (best lad to ever write for GW: rules,fluff and fun-wise!)
Jake Thornton (great guy as well, in my opinion...really good editor)
Adrian Wood (the great warlord himself, he was really good back then; his articles would be 5000 words long at the very least!)
Paul Sawyer (he used to be my least favorite..imagine the competition!)
Jervis Johnson (before he became GW's new-shiny-stuff cryer!!)
Mike McVey (he taught all of the 'eavy metal team to do what they're doing right now..)

Back then, Gav Thorpe was contributing to the Journal, and there was no "Loremaster" crap going on..it was still a matter of team work. Not to mention that Alessio wasn't even working for GW...
Of course, i haven't mentioned many others that were decent enough but had to go (god knows why..): Warwick Kinrade, Steve Anastassof, Space McQuirk, Robin Dews, Jeff Leong, Mike Walker, Ian Pickstock (not really sad about seeing him go, to be honest..)

NOW (the dark ages...)

Guy Haley (what were they thinkng??)
Owen Rees
Gav Thorpe (the "loremaster"...loremaster my a$$!!)
Jervis buy-the-new-stuff Johnson

The old white dwarf is an encyclopedia compared to the new one... I'm not going into details about how it has gotten worse, most people here already know and have discussed this stuff..

But i remember a time when reading the WD would take the better part of a weekend... not 10 minutes in the toilet! I have WDs in my collection featuring 2 and 3 GREAT battle reports, as well as terrain articles and collector's guides and tactics articles and new sections and and and...

So, all i'm wondering is: What are they thinking? They have taken a profit-making, hobby magazine and turned it into a second-class miniatures catalogue..
But, come to think about it, corporations are known to make such moves...take Rackham's pre-painted endeavour, for example..:wtf:

Crube
08-11-2007, 19:27
There is plenty of scope for decent tactics etc in both WFB and 40K. Just check out the preponderance of deent threads here on Warseer, and also the Watchman and Firebase webzines....

Chaos and Evil
08-11-2007, 19:28
That, and us 'Vets' already know the tricks, hence why White Dwarf ISN'T FOR VETERANS OF THE HOBBY.

White Dwarf is an introduction, nothing more, nothing less.

Yup.

That is 100% the market that White Dwarf is aimed at these days.

There's nothing wrong with that either.

I must agree that the standard of WD (the UK version anyway) have fallen enormously. I don't know if I can pinpoint out exactly when the changes happened, but the mags I get nowadays are nowhere near as good as those from five years or so back.

Issue 316.

The one where the Fantasy Giant was released.

Crube
08-11-2007, 19:36
I agree with MDG, and Chas and Evil, in that I am a vet, and I probably know most of the tricks, but for some reason I still look forward to getting my WD each month...

I do agree that it lacks a lot of articles I'd like to see - tht's why, as I mentioned, I go for Interweb related sites, and webzines like the Watchman...

Arhalien
08-11-2007, 19:46
It does seem almost as if it was a big change; I have WD 311 (BT release issue) and it really is quite good; interesting designer's notes, very good batrep, LoTR painting guide (not an eavy metal one, but a good guide for painting stuff quickly and making it look quite good), 2 alternative army lists (Clan Moulder and Army of the Cairns), LoTR and WFB scenarios, and pretty light on the adverts.
Not entirely sure what happened just after that in WD terms, but if 316 is the one everybody rants about as being the turning point, it must have been a pretty rapid decline.

Mr. Smuckles
08-11-2007, 20:08
Honestly, if The Watchman came in a glossy format mailed directly to my cave I would be the first person to buy a subscription.

**** WD and the Privateer magazine while I'm ranting.

There needs to be an independent wargames monthly that discusses the hobby rather than pushing a specific agenda or product.

Rotten
08-11-2007, 20:21
But i remember a time when reading the WD would take the better part of a weekend... not 10 minutes in the toilet! I have WDs in my collection featuring 2 and 3 GREAT battle reports, as well as terrain articles and collector's guides and tactics articles and new sections and and and...

You took the words from my mouth. Those were the days indeed. I miss 'em.

I think the decline have been relatively gradual. I would say it began even before the 300th issue. Don't get me wrong, those issues were not nearly as bad as today's, but in hindsight I would say the first slight signs began to show about that time. That was Haley's period, wasn't it?

Arhalien
08-11-2007, 21:00
I think so; 311 was Haley's last.

violenceha
08-11-2007, 21:14
If this is the sort of attention GW thinks it's new hobbyists deserve it's little wonder most leave the hobby after two years, there is certainly not anything being offered to make them actually care enough about the armies to want to stay.

Cap'n Facebeard
09-11-2007, 00:03
Mike Walker, anyone? If there was a Mike Walker Magazine, I'd buy it.

Light of the Emperor
09-11-2007, 03:13
I also like the interviews they did with sculptors and articles on how models were made (like the new rhino!).

Read Firebase...you'll feel better.

Jedi152
09-11-2007, 08:06
White Dwarf could be so much more than just an introductory magazine and catalogue.

It's been said a hundred times, but they really do need less obvious and patronising advertising. Do we really need 30+ pages of introductions and adverts and how Grombrindal thinks that this is the best time ever to be a gamer?

I'd love to see more modelling and painting articles - look at all the recent potential - Cities of Death, Warhammer terrain. Instead of giving us pages showing the sprues, why not show us what you can do with them?

And i want more real gamers armies - not photoshopped 'Eavy Metal armies, or 'real' armies of staffers with obscene discount - remember the "all metal army*" or the "look how much discount i get!" army as it was?

I actually like the tactica articles now - mainly because i'm crap at the game and need all the help i can get.

It's sad, because i want it to succeed. I want to buy it, and still do occasionally - but it's just not living up to it's potential.

*Yes, i know it wasn't all metal. In fact it was probably about 50% plastic. Pity how the writer didn't notice that.

andyfair
09-11-2007, 09:28
Okay, I am relatively new to the hobby (since the early summer) but I am not a kid by any stretch of the imagination!

I have bought quite a few back issues of White Dwarf, the earliest being Issue 296 as far as I recall.

I prefer the new White Dwarf for lots of reasons

- It is a fantastic introduction to the hobby and a massive help to a new person who finds the rules incredibly complicated.

- I have no objection to the promotion of new releases. The photographs are superb. Remember WD is about the only mass produced magazine in that price bracket to feature NO external advertising whatsoever. (Similar stature magazines can have 25% external advertising included plus their own).

- Obviously the content is geared so that the younger readers can enjoy it as well. Heck, I didn't even realise that anyone else over 25 was into the hobby until we went to Gamesday.

- The older issues from 2-3 years ago were too 'niche' in my opinion. I find a lot of them impenetrable. The photographs for the battle reports were much smaller and nowhere near as good.

- If the statistic is true that more than 50% of people only paint and model and never (if rarely) play the game (and I include myself there), then we want to see the new products in all their glory with draw dropping photographs.

Of course there is room to improve but I have no real complaints with WD (other than the recent chopping of 8 pages) and for the price it is, its the best value magazine on the market.

Agreed it is not perhaps as interesting to the veterans other than for £2.50 an issue (on subscription) you can't really argue that you get to hear about all the new releases in great detail. Surely that is what the internet and clubs are for though. WD has adapted to appeal to a broader audience while the in depth articles and discussions veterans seem to want can be found on this and many other internet forums.

jfrazell
09-11-2007, 11:38
Agreed it is not perhaps as interesting to the veterans other than for £2.50 an issue (on subscription) you can't really argue that you get to hear about all the new releases in great detail. Surely that is what the internet and clubs are for though. WD has adapted to appeal to a broader audience while the in depth articles and discussions veterans seem to want can be found on this and many other internet forums.

Translation-WD has been transformed into a large advertisement for the newbies. And GW manages to get the newbies to pay for it. Now that’s brilliant.

You’re right. There is no reason to buy the monthly catalog at this point.

Mahatma
09-11-2007, 12:06
What happened to the writers of old? I vaguely remember Jervis Johnson, Chambers and McVey the painting guy from many years ago. Did they jump or were they pushed?

And what is so bad about Haley? I haven't been reading much of WD so I'm a little lost.

mistformsquirrel
09-11-2007, 12:22
<. .> Note to self: Don't buy WD. <-- had been considering it... now knows better.

Bob Smith
09-11-2007, 12:44
I haven't bought a WD magazine for quite some time. The first one I bought was about issue 148, the one where they re-released Vampire Counts. I read it and it was awesome.

It had a wicked battle report where sure the "army of the month" won but that was because of a sneaky trick, not just "I'm gonna pick a bad army." (IIRC, the VC player used flyers to force a Frenzied unit into a situation where they could be flank-charged). Also, it had an article about Dreadnought conversions showing various different ones people had sent in. On top of that was a hilarious article about a tournament someone went to, and all the beardy and oddball armies he found there including neon green High Elves, a lengthy interview with Alessio Cavatore about balancing the new army book and some other stuff.

Then the next issue had the Albion campaign, four narrative battle reports, new rules, a Chapter Approved with awesome new special characters, a new minigame (Giant Wrestling) and an Inquisitor feature.

The most recent issue I bought was 50% LOTR stuff, which doesn't interest me (the mechanics are interesting but the models less so), a dull battle report and no interesting articles. I even remember WD trying to resurrect "A Tale of Four Gamers" and failing horribly.

Jedi152
09-11-2007, 12:48
Presumably you mean 248. If you mean the UKWD, issue 148 was some point in the early 90's well before 2nd ed. 40k was even released.

andyfair
09-11-2007, 13:46
Translation-WD has been transformed into a large advertisement for the newbies. And GW manages to get the newbies to pay for it. Now thatís brilliant.

Youíre right. There is no reason to buy the monthly catalog at this point.

Ridiculous.

what a bunch of windbags on this thread! Moan moan moan.

Lord Malorne
09-11-2007, 13:56
All i want WD to do is campaigns new releases funny articles and of coarse extensive backround editions...eg. this army fought this army for this reason and this happened.

make the worlds more intresting. now they barely write a thing about there systems and black library suck. i want monthly battle news or snippets of battles that happened x amount of time ago...

WD has indeed become rather boring.

jfrazell
09-11-2007, 13:59
Ridiculous.

what a bunch of windbags on this thread! Moan moan moan.

1) Windbag? Do I know you? that comment is way too accurate ;) but i digress

2) Not moaning. The thread is discussing theories on what the problem is with WD. Please define how the argument that WD is purely a marketing bit at this point is ridiculous? Note I've walked the walk here and have bought only one WD since 2006 (the first part of the BA codex, the rest of the WD was gaggingly bad), but still check it occasionally in case its suddenly changed.

Chaplain Nikolai
09-11-2007, 17:00
I think our problems will be fixed if we can track down Andy Chambers nd convince him to work for GW again.

jfrazell
09-11-2007, 17:01
Only if he is not allowed to write any rules whatsoever.

de Selby
09-11-2007, 17:49
There are plenty of things wrong with WD. People don't seem to agree about what they are, however. For as long as I can remember people have been complaining about WD going downhill, long before WD300.

The main thing I wanted to say is how useful I find the painted component guides that now come whenever they release a new sprue. Anyone from WD reading this, please don't take them out!

Gazak Blacktoof
09-11-2007, 18:02
I know it used to be expensive for them but one of the primary reasons for buying WD when I started buying it at issue 200 (prior to that it was too expensive for me) were the bits of card they gave away and the background articles.

From what I remember every month the WD included extra wargear or magic item cards, tiles for warhammer quest, scenery etc. Heck there were even 3 new stand alone games with card components included in the mag*; one a jousting game called "full tilt", the second a bar room brawl game and last a BFG precursor game that laid down the foundations of the game and had a chaos and imperial fleet. The full tilt game even included some nice little tents you could put on a warhammer battlefield.

There seemed to be innovative ideas in the magazine, the actual bits of card weren't important (except the WHQ tiles). What was important was that you felt you were getting something that would add to your games and hence your enjoyment of the hobby rather than purchasing a soulless shiny catalogue.

The only mag I've bought in recent years was the one with the plastic tiles for mighty empires on the front and I bought it purely for the bits. I read the reviews on the forum now and then in the hope that they'll breathe some life into the mag but it hasn't happened yet.

Whatever they do with the mag Grombrindal needs to go.

*There were other mini games included in the mag these are just the ones I remember off the top of my head- I'm fairly sure they included the rules for a chariot racing game and a giant rock throwing game as well.

Lucifer216
09-11-2007, 18:15
One other thing which I find ridiculous about WD is when I compare my own output as a Deputy Editor/Copyrighter to the content in WD. I work for an energy and power magazine. For each article I write, I pretty much have to spend an entire day trawling the internet for every last scrap of information. While at the end of the day, the WD crew basically just have to make it up (in the case of background) or make it up and then play a couple of games.

selfconstrukt
09-11-2007, 18:19
*sigh*
Whatever happened to the good ol' days?

Remember when WD had templates to make your own Baneblades and Whirlwinds? Eavy Metal, when you actually had proof John Blanche existed! Nowadays we hardly ever hear from him.
Does anyone remember the card game "Chivalry" that was in WD one month? You cut out the combat cards and glued them to cardboard?

I liked the old White Dwarf, the one where you actually got something, other than 60 or so pages of toilet paper.

happy_doctor
09-11-2007, 18:20
I think our problems will be fixed if we can track down Andy Chambers and convince him to work for GW again.

Hmmm.. I don't think he'll be interested.
He now runs his own indeependent games studio,called "Red Star Games", and, being a communist at heart, he helps new games developpers produce their games without sucking their life-force!
What's more, Blizzard has tracked him down and he is currently working on Warcraft games series (don't know if it's the CCG or the pc-games, though!)

That goes to show that GW used to have the BEST of the trade, they made GW a multinational, and in turn the board of trustees or whatever chose to let their greatest capital go away!!!

Mad Doc Grotsnik
09-11-2007, 18:57
I think our problems will be fixed if we can track down Andy Chambers nd convince him to work for GW again.

It'd be more tracking him down, and asking GW very nicely to take the stroppy git back....

Rotten
09-11-2007, 22:01
I liked the old White Dwarf, the one where you actually got something, other than 60 or so pages of toilet paper.

You don't even get that. The paper quality is too poor. :p

Rossco
09-11-2007, 22:51
Does anyone from WD frequent these boards ? I don't agree with all the comments but most of them have the distinct pain of truth about them. If there is anybody from WD who's reading and interested, is there a good way we long servers could make our points in a constructive way ? after all GW have had QUIDS off us and we deserve at least part of our magazine back !

Batwings
09-11-2007, 23:18
"It'd be more tracking him down, and asking GW very nicely to take the stroppy git back...."

Yes, I'm sure Andy would be only to happy to jack in his job at Blizzard in Southern California as Creative Director on StarCraft 2 to sit in an industrial estate in Lenton, surrounded by a gaggle of incompentent middle managers.

dodicula
10-11-2007, 02:08
Actually Doc,
its more accurate to say White Dwarf is not the Magazine for veterans ANYMORE. I loved it my first twelve years in. Haven't bought one in two years though. Now, let me ask you something Doc, if the proper role of WD is introductory, why do they need to publish it every month? Does the hobby change that much every month, that it needs a new introduction? Ok, maybe they can't cover everything in one issue, fine, but it has been "introductory" for 2 years+ and running. Are you honestly telling us the GW hobby needs 24 volumes to introduce us to the hobby 1500+ pages? Really? Ok, lets say you are right, that the GW hobby is so fantastic and broad that we need 1500+ pages to view it in all its glory (500 pages per game). Does that mean at some point the introduction will be done and they will publish it in voluminous tomes for future gamers and we can go back to having an actual magazine as opposed to glossy toilet paper?

Delicious Soy
10-11-2007, 03:02
Actually Doc,
its more accurate to say White Dwarf is not the Magazine for veterans ANYMORE.Dammit. Stole my point.

The truth of the matter is that GW has a problem because, bieng a small company, I imagine their pull means they can only get the guys who only just scraped through their marketing degrees. This leads to some very simplistic advertising which isn't good for something thats going to be raked over the coals by a fanatical fan base.

What I'm specificalyl thinking of is the Army Designer Notes and their de-evolution over the transition from 6th - 7th WFB and 3rd-4th 40k. For the tenure of 6th and 3rd eds the designer notes were at times controversial but the point was that they at least put forward a good arguement regarding how things changed and evolved, right or wrong, we could see the design process in action and the reasoning behind certain design paradigms. This was good, we could debate the merits of these decisions and GW attempted to engage with its customer base by raising issue within their product and how they were setting about addressing them.

We haven't had any of that since the great DE revision crisis.

Maybe that was the trigger (like the Wave Serpent and the slow erosion of previewing upcoming stuff) but since then we have got nothing of the sort when a new release arrives. The language has been downgraded, the debate and admission of previous failings is gone. What takes its place is typical marketing doublespeak, these units are enhanced, look at the cool shiny stuff! Now maybe this is because these are simple buisness people in dire need of some old fashioned humanities education, but this sort of action has consequences.

The net result of the approach of the current WD is seperation. WD was a reflection of the gaming community at one stage, it had debate (hell, Nigel Stillman was pretty much their professional naysayer!) it admitted problems, but it was still about how cool GW was. THis was good as it provided an outlet for gamer concerns because it implies an element of awareness within GW for shortcomings which implies that they will be addressed. In its current incarnation GW does not do that.

Instead the face of GW has become increasingly monolithic. Perhaps this is the objective of the current higher ups, the sentiments of 'if you're a vet go do things yourself!' would certainly fit into this. Call it what you will, its effectively making GW no longer a 'hobby' but a corporate product that you may appropriate and interpret, so long as it is done at great distance from GW itself.

Given that GW does not utilise advertising and is therefore reliant on the participation of a communal fanbase, one would've thought that focussing on a core market would've been a better idea than attempting to broaden appeal in an attempt to compete with more broad based entertainment such as gaming consoles.

GW needs to become more aware of the social commonality of its player base if its to survive; painful though it might be to executives dreaming of becoming the next playstation, they are a niche product that lacks broad based support that no amount of simplification of rulesets or 'dumbing down' of WD will ever overcome.

In summary, if GW wants to improve its situation the solution is glaringly obvious; reconnect with its fanbase. This is not to say that going back to the 'old ways' in necessarily the correct path: in part what previously happened was the result of a much smaller player base than exists today. However, what should be done in the global sense is to rebroaden the appeal beyond the simple attempt to draw in more '2 year birds of passage.' The most obvious starting point for such action would be raising the level of discourse between GW and its fanbase at it most basic points: Stores and even more importantly in the global sense, White Dwarf. White Dwarf is a reflection not only of current releases but of how GW percieves its target customer base. Simply expecting us to do all the work does little other than to encourage us to seek devious means around them. If GW isn't going to provide for its extened customer base, why should we provide them with sales?

Agrip. Varenus Denter
10-11-2007, 15:43
I'm a veteran player and I do get White Dwarf every month... have for years and years. No, it's not the same mag that it used to be - but I still think it's fun. There are the occasional nice bits of fluff, good painting and modeling tips, and class-act photography. That's why I get it.

Do I know it's pretty much just a monthly catalog? Yes. Do I think posters like Delicious Soy made excellent points? I certainly do. I miss the freebies, the old staff, the way it was written...

But it's White Dwarf. I really just can't help myself.

RavenMorpheus
11-11-2007, 04:55
Actually, there's plenty of room for in-depth tactica within 40k and fantasy, just look at any white dwarf before 310 (that issue is when Guy Haley, following a brief from the men in grey suits, made the changes that permanently ruined White Dwarf), and you'll find loads of great in-depth articles about tactics.

The army-specific ones were always great to read, even if you didn't collect the army. I'd recommend the 3-part Tomb Kings tactica that came out when they were released as the "gold standard" of what makes a damn good tactics article.

They just don't do it because I believe that, like every other department of GW, White Dwarf has suffered from large staff cuts over the last 2 years. They no longer have people producing high-quality written content for the magazine, because they fired them. This is an educated guess at best, but I can see no other explanation as to why the wordcount of the magazine suddenly dropped by around 60%. They even made the font size massive in a desperate attempt to disguise the lack of actual text.

If they could produce them they would. It wouldn't surprise me if most articles are now written by the same people that photoshop the big flashy photos together. The writing is simplistic and screams "I am trying to fill the 500-word quota on this page by repeatedly stating the obvious" rather than having any real style or creativity about it.

Totally agree with that, WD has gone seriously downhill since the "changes" at GW were made. The only reason I can see for it is £/$ saving.

Oddly enough I hadn't noticed the wordcount has dropped so making the font size bigger obviously works, but then I never really counted the words anyway, just noticed the quality of the articles slipping.

What they need to do is re-employ the writing staff they fired or get some new equally good ones and keep the photoshoppers, I like their bits - photowise anyway, but I doubt that'll happen.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
11-11-2007, 09:55
So don't buy it.

Support your local online, free to download, made by idiots, for idiots Webzine. Like Firebase, or the Watchman.

Choc full of spanky new, never before seen (if you discount the author, his proof reader (yes, I have one!) and the editorial team) articles about the games you love, on the subjects you want to read about.

Yes, Firebase/The Watchman. It's the choice of a new generation (hope Pepsi don't sue)

Oooh, that reminds me, I better write that follow up article on npc forces in a campaign....bugger.

Delicious Soy
13-11-2007, 06:40
So don't buy it.

Support your local online, free to download, made by idiots, for idiots Webzine. Like Firebase, or the Watchman.Like I said it does nothing to fix GW or WD, in fact all it does is play precisely into their hands. We can do that with or without GW fixing itself. THe problem is things are going to keep going downhill till we're left with a very poor base to build upon.

dodicula
13-11-2007, 07:25
"So don't buy it", ok I won't, no skin off my back, thanks for solving GW's problem so cavalierly Doc. Oh wait, dammit, that still leaves GW with the slight problem of parting me from my money both in terms of direct loss of ~70 bucks a year and the indirect cost of losing the opportunity to market to me. Btw... I seem to recall GW sales were down AGAIN. Can't be that there is a connection between making their #1 marketing tool unappealing to a large swath of their (used to be) best customers and tanking sales, nah it must be because of the California real estate bubble, yeah thats it.

dodicula
13-11-2007, 07:32
Like I said it does nothing to fix GW or WD, in fact all it does is play precisely into their hands. We can do that with or without GW fixing itself. THe problem is things are going to keep going downhill till we're left with a very poor base to build upon.

I think you give GW's hands too much credit.

Luckywallace
27-11-2007, 19:03
Goodness, I agree about Mike Walker.

That man should have an article in every issue.

My collection goes back to WD 194 (had Necromunda on the front) and I also agree that it was about WD311-316 when things started to go wrong. Before that it was still awesome.

Angry Lawyer
27-11-2007, 19:51
Everyone knows that White Dwarf was the best back in the late 80's, where there'd be pages and pages of crazy backstory and some of the maddest painting and conversion ever :D

-Angry Lawyer

Agrip. Varenus Denter
28-11-2007, 04:39
... I actually disagree with the painting skills between the WDs from say #80-100 as compared to now... even their 'Eavy Metal projects wouldn't be good enough to compete with painting from today.

Adept
28-11-2007, 11:55
Wow, talk about your pieces of garbage!
My mistake for buying it, I know.

Well, what would you have liked to see?

I know I personally would like to see:

Detailed painting and modelling articles, explaining various techniques (such as layering, shading, stippling, feathering, etc). The ones we have now are adequate, but not exceptional.

Terrain workshops, possibly using some generic hobby items and scenery items from other manufacturers.

And of course, more focus on LotR!