PDA

View Full Version : My first WHF list attempt (2000p)

cochise
08-11-2007, 14:59
Ok, Ive played a lot of 40k, with nids and BA, so Im usually running to catch my opponent in CC.
Ive never played Fantasy, Ive only read the BRB and some army books, so..I really dont have a clue of what Im doing.
For my WHF army I wanted to try something different. Wood elves seem to me like a good option, as I see them they are very mobile, shooty and rely on some precision CC strikes to win games rather than on sheer numbers or brute force.
About my list selection, I tried to create a "guerrilla" theme, no trees or dryads or whatever. Only elves hanging from the trees. Nevertheless, I want to win some games too, so I will post the list and expect your experienced suggestions on how to make it competitive.

Highborn:
Alter Kindred, GWeapon , LArmour, Shield, Bow of loren, Crystal mere Stone, Arcane Bodkins

Noble:
Alter Kind, GW,LA,S, Helm of the hunt, Hail of Doom

Noble:
Scout Kind, Extra Weapon, LA, S, Hunters Talon, Peagant of Spikes

Spellsinger:
Lvl 2; 2 Dispell Scrolls

2x10 glade guards
3x5 glade riders
2x6 wardancers with musician
1x8 wardancers w.m.
2x5 waywatchers

Total: 2000 points

Thoughts?

RavenBloodwind
09-11-2007, 02:48
As a guerrila force it should do well.

A few thoughts:
Alter characters can't be your general so you're stuck with your scout noble as your general (his Ld is higher than the wizard). Assuming you deploy him with a waywatcher unit he can't pass on his Ld bonus to anyone because he'll be on the other side of the field.

Putting the lord on an eagle with no kindred is almost as effective but allows you to use his Ld 10 and keep him near your army until he is needed elsewhere, at which point his 20" fly move should be able to get him where you want. You give up the +1A from alter but 4 high BS shots with bodkins is usually plenty.

You're a bit light on magic defense, but if you use your alter nobles to assassinate enemy mages you should be able to do okay.

I'd give the glade riders musicians as their rally on 9 when away from the general will be a real boon.

Frankly the musicians on the wardancer units are probably not all that helpful but champions would work really well.

cochise
09-11-2007, 12:24
Thanks for the advice!
After a lot of reading, but trying to keep with the main theme of the army I have done some tweaking to the list, tell me what you think of it:

Highborn:
Alter Kindred, GWeapon , LArmour, Shield, Bow of loren, Crystal mere Stone, Arcane Bodkins

Noble:
Alter Kind, GW,LA,S, Helm of the hunt, Hail of Doom

Noble:
Scout Kind, Extra Weapon, LA, S, Hunters Talon, Peagant of Spikes

Spellsinger:
Lvl 1; 2 Dispell Scrolls

2x10 glade guards with musician
2x5 glade riders with musician
2x8 wardancers with sarge
1x5 wild riders with sarge
2x6 waywatchers

Total: 1997 points

Dropped the level on the spellsinger, added musicians to glade guards and riders, that should compensate the lack of a general nearly when attemting to rally.
Added wild riders for extra punch and adjusted the numbers of waywatchers and wardancers units.
As you said, the idea is to kill enemy mages and/or warmachines as quickly as possible and then "play" with the rest of the army. The 2 dispell scrolls should give me at least a safe turn to achieve this. Alter highborn should shoot at heavy armored knights and the like. It seems quite risky to me, if anything goes slightly wrong I will be done, but I think it should be great when it works.

Malorian
09-11-2007, 21:30
Looks like a great list. Make sure to post some battle reports : )