PDA

View Full Version : What do you know about Cadia?

Cry of the Wind
08-11-2007, 18:59
I have always loved the look of the Cadian Shock Troops from their old metals to their new plastics. I've read as much background as I can on them but am not sure if my knowledge is complete or not. I'm trying to find as much about the planet and its people as my Inquisitor characters are almost all from that world as well as my Inquisitorial Storm Troopers. I've read almost all of the newer stuff that I could find but am wondering if there is any older pre 3rd Ed stuff that I have missed. Please share all your knowledge on Cadia with me and the others who are also interested and thanks to all who help out!

Iracundus
08-11-2007, 19:04
I suggest getting your hands on the Eye of Terror Codex and reading up also on the EoT campaign for the latest news on Cadia.

Essentially the planet is more than half overrun by Chaos. The original location of Cadia's High Command was reduced to slag by the Blackstone Fortress under Abaddon and Creed had to pull a Dunkirk-like retreat over the Caducades Sea to Kasr Gallan, where they are still holding out.

BrainFireBob
08-11-2007, 19:19
That's where they are currently.

The second book of the Eisenhorn trilogy has him going to Cadia. It's heavily militarized in a "modern military" kind of way. Military training starts as children, they may or may not all have purple eyes (a bit silly but understandable fluff idea), the entire planet is a fortress with pre-planned battle contingencies for every surface plotted out.

Cry of the Wind
08-11-2007, 19:45
Thanks for the input so quickly! I've read the Eisenhorn stuff and thats more the kind of stuff I'm interested in, the people and their background beyond the whole super soldiers from the crib stuff. I didn't participate inte the EoT campagin though I do have the codex, was there much non-battle related stuff in the EoT reports? Anything from before? What culture does the word Kasr come from (since that might give some insight into what GW was thinking when fleshing them out, i.e. use real history to create an image rather than make one from scratch)?

BrainFireBob
08-11-2007, 20:10
It sounds German or Slavic, but that's about all I can give you. Lookup words for "rock" and "stone."

Idaan
08-11-2007, 20:52
Kasr is Arabic for bastion I think. Read it somewhere one these forums, so a search for "Kasr" should do.

Iracundus
08-11-2007, 23:42
Cadia is a rather cold world with lots of plains and tundras. The Kasrs are described as rather spartan city/fortresses, designed to be difficult to storm, and where the population is either all mobilized or acting as part of the support industries necessary to support the Cadian armies.

The open land is used for training and live fire exercises. Upon reaching physical maturity, a Cadian becomes a Whiteshield (ie an IG conscript) and these Whiteshield armies continue their training in the field, against each other in mock battles. When they prove themselves, a Whiteshield is absorbed into a normal Cadian regiment.

However given the current state of Cadia, this above way of life has essentially ground to a big halt. Most of the Kasrs now either lie in ruins or are in Chaos hands, and the remaining Cadians gain their experience through actual combat rather than training exercises.

Cry of the Wind
08-11-2007, 23:48
Interesting, Cadia is now a ruined war wasteland rather than a fortress world now. I'm kind of regreting not playing a greater part in the EoT event (maybe played one or two games and never kept up with the reports). Anything else about their culture besides the military/paramilitary lifestyle? Any pre 3rd Ed fluff (I started 40k right at the begining of 3rd Ed and didn't pick up any of the older books before they were all gone)?

OnlyInDeath
08-11-2007, 23:55
Cadia- proving that real men don't need the Astartes.

DantesInferno
09-11-2007, 00:06
Cadia- proving that real men don't need the Astartes.

There are about 20 Chapters stationed nearby: the Adeptus Praeses Chapters, there to help guard the openings to the Eye of Terror....

Grim_Reaper46
09-11-2007, 22:53
Cadia a planet I feel sorry for,but that planet has been raped more than any planet in the universe I swear.I'm surprised the planet still exist in fact.

Iracundus
10-11-2007, 00:00
Also to note is that Cadia has (or had) a large number of Chaos cults and secretly corrupted Cadians. In the Eye of Terror Codex it states that the Ordo Malleus kept some Inquisitors permanently stationed there, and the Cadians had the Cadia Internal Guard for their use. A quote by an Inquisitor on Cadia's Chaos cults said "The place breeds recidivists like a pond breeds scum."

So behind the seemingly brave and stalwart martial glory surface of Cadia was also a festering underbelly. One which has boiled to the surface no doubt with the current Chaos stranglehold on the majority of Cadia.

Crazy Tom
10-11-2007, 02:03
The single event that sums up the entire Cadian theme has to be those Kaskrin in Xenos. You know... the ones that attack a daemonhost. With bayonets.

Light of the Emperor
10-11-2007, 03:15
Also from the Eisenhorn trilogy comes the "law of legibility" or something like that. Since land is at a premium and so many lives are lost fighting an endless battle, cemetary plots are constantly replaced. When the tombstone can no longer be read, a new body can be interred and the process repeats.

Cadia also has(d) the Cadian Pylons which are ancient monolithic structures that tower above the surface. They are supposedly closing the eye though it is thought to be nothing more than the babbling of madmen...

Iracundus
10-11-2007, 05:09
The Cadian pylons don't close the Eye. The pylons are strongly hinted almost to the point of being explicit as being part of the Necrons' incomplete Great Work. Like the pylons they built on Medusa V, the Cadian pylons hold back the warp and may be responsible for why the region of the Cadian Gate is the only large scale stable route in and out of the Eye of Terror.

During the Eye of Terror, many of the Cadian pylons began to crumble under the strain of resisting the surges of warp storm Baphomael.

OnlyInDeath
10-11-2007, 05:30
I think its a foregone conclusion that if GW ever advances the story, Cadia is gonna hold. Imperial Heroism...people eat it up.

Light of the Emperor
10-11-2007, 13:51
I think Quixos was the one who thought they could eventually close the eye, but you are right that they do hold back the warp.

chris.seraphim
10-11-2007, 14:02
I think its a foregone conclusion that if GW ever advances the story, Cadia is gonna hold. Imperial Heroism...people eat it up.

Why? Cadia holding effectively maintains the status quo in that part of the galaxy, so it would hardly be advancing the story? I'd say it'd be more interesting to have Cadia fall, and have a loyalist human resistance trying to regain their world, as the chaos fleets now have free reign into the Imperium...

They dont have to win, just mix it up a little - and the stubborn heroism of those left remains....

Iracundus
10-11-2007, 15:01
Quixos's reasoning was along the lines of: "If some pylons can hold back the Eye enough to create a stable route, then maybe replicating the pylons and building more of them can close the Eye up entirely." Of course, that seems to be what the Necrons are busy doing anyway.

Given GW's backing away from its earlier pledge to advance the storyline as a result of the EoT campaign, I highly doubt unfortunately them actually doing anything with Cadia other than doing the tired old "eternal war" on the world.

As a sidenote, one does have to wonder why the local senior Commissar hasn't had a "chat" with Creed, given the poor overall Imperial performance on Cadia. One might argue that it was Creed's subordinates that let down the Imperium or that circumstances were beyond his control, but the Imperium's Commissars were never portrayed as the most understanding or reasonable of men.

Cry of the Wind
10-11-2007, 15:15
There seems to be a lot of info more recently on Cadia, but is all of this brand new or is some of their character based on older stuff?

I'm wondering if the Cadians had any personality before or were they just another regiment of guard who happened to be kindda modern looking and so people liked them enough that they eventually got plastics and a bigger part in the story due to their location? I'm looking for some info from the times when say Mordians and Praetorians had fluff being written about them, was it all just battle stories back then or did they also go into the culture of the planets?

Iracundus
10-11-2007, 15:20
Cadians had a few paragraphs from 2nd edition at least though most of their detail and information comes after expansion with 3rd ed., the Eye of Terror codex, and Eye of Terror campaign.

The Mordians have a little story from 2nd ed. but they've had relatively little since then.

kanluwen
10-11-2007, 19:57
I'll see what I can find for you from the 13th Black Crusade background book. Off the top of my head though:
Cadia has its own Inquisitorial branch, the Ordo Cadia. It seems to function much like the Ordo Hereticus, relying more on the stormtroopers and inquisitors than any outside intervention.

The general terrain seems to be tundra/moorland, think about the Northern Russian areas, cold most of the year, dark, gloomy, and wet. The cities are built to be held in sections, where each section can hold for months, even years if supplies last to that point. The only distinguishing factor between the troopers and the general populace seem to be the colors of the fatigues; urban colored/moorland colored with plain colored shirts and jackets for the "civilians", with various fatigues of the serving units stationed in the towns.

Cry of the Wind
11-11-2007, 01:01
Well thanks to everyone who's posted info so far. Not too much from pre 3rd Ed it sounds like so I've read pretty much everything out there already it sounds like. If there is anything else in the 13th Black Crusade background book that hasn't already been mentioned I'd love to hear it kanluwen but it seems like everything else has been stated. Once again thanks for helping me out!

Edit: Cool 500 posts...certainly taken me long enough to get here...