PDA

View Full Version : first attempt at the new High Elves

Warboss Bremy
08-11-2007, 22:45
heres my first attempt at a 2500pts High Elves list, please tell me what you think of it.

Lords

prince with heavy armour, shield, barded elven steed, star lance and temkadors gauntlets.

Heroes

Dragon mage, level 2 with guardian pheonix and armour of caldor

Mage with dispell scroll and jewel of the dusk

Troops

10 Archers with command group

20 spearmen with command group

20 spearmen with command group

Special

15 swordmasters with command group

15 white lions with command group

8 Silver Helms with shields and command group

Lion Chariot of Chrace

Rare

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Gret Eagle

Total 2497

So what do you think?

EndlessBug
08-11-2007, 22:55
Dragon mages can't take the armour of Caledor (as far as I know it doesn't let you use magic while wearing armour) Take the silver wand instead (+1 spell) much better for this character. Also upgrade the 2nd mage to a lvl 2, it's useless as a lvl 1. drop the SM's to 14 (2 ranks of 7 = 15 attacks) to do this (you need to find another 12 points as well)

8 silver helms? You'd be better off with dragon princes, I think you can get 5 for that cost with a magic banner (maybe the one that lets the unit move through terain with no penalties).

Other than that, looks good.

p.s. make sure u cast the 5+ ward on SMs every turn with the normal mage, they will get shot to bits.

neo_ebrick
09-11-2007, 04:29
i agree also drop the silver helms, but also the archers. i would try to change a unit of spearmen to sea guard 3pt bows. and also dp's the new single best high elf unit! with the sea guard you can use the as a screen and shoot. reform before a charge stand and shoot then still attack first. i think were going to see a lot of seaguard in competive list after all the buzz of the spearmen wears out. but go with a unit of dp's

TheSanityAssassin
09-11-2007, 07:50
now I don't make alot of WFB armies, but why put a command group in Archers? They'll generally be set up 10 wide, and expected to die if they get hit in CC. A Hawkeye maybe for BS5 shot, but why Standard and Musician?

EndlessBug
09-11-2007, 08:35
good point TheSanityAssassin, didn't spot that one, if you drop the standard and musician from that unit you could then pay for all the slight changes I suggested, if you wish to take them on board of course.

eleveninches
09-11-2007, 10:26
why would anyone NOT want to give the dragonmage the gem of sunfire?

10-11-2007, 02:42
Agree with Endlessbug et al.

a) Drop Silver Helms for Dragon Princes + a magic Banner
b) Drop Archers for Shadow Warriors. You've filled your Core requirement. At the very least get rid of that command group.
c) I'm not sure the Lion Chariot is a good idea. It will be a magnet for magic and shooting. Time will tell. Two Tiranoc Chariots might actually live longer and give you more flexibility.
d) I'm not convinced Seaguard's the way to go. At 7 wide without a hill you could get better shooting from Shadow Warriors and a better (Skirmish) haven for your foot mage.

a & b are emphatic
c & d are suggestions

10-11-2007, 02:45
Oh, one more thought.

With such an infantry-heavy list, you might exchange the Prince for an Archmage for magic dominance. And for that extra something, put the Banner of Sorcery on the Dragon Princes (or SM's or WL's).

neo_ebrick
10-11-2007, 06:48
don't put the banner of sorccery on sm they will get shot up and dp will be the target of every cannon out there. put the on the white lions they have better protection agains shooting.

Chiungalla
10-11-2007, 07:27
- The dragon mage can't get the armor of caledor, so drop him, if you don't want a sitting duck worth 400+ points with equipment.

- Add one hero and one mage level 2 for the points saved, or a mage level 2 and put your prince on a star dragon.

- Give your mage the 2. level.

- Give the Lord the dragon armor, not the heavy one, the few points more are very often very good used ones.

- Drop one unit of spear elves.

- Don't drop the archers. You will need all the shooting you can get, to deal with your opponents shooting, and therefore longbows with bowskill 4 are great.

- But drop the command group of the archers, maybe take a musician but no standard (worth 100 VP if captured) or champion (to expensive).

- Drop the silver helms and add Dragon Princes.

- Give the Ellyrian Standard, Banner of Sorcery, Lion Standard and War Banner to three units.

The Lion Standard will work at its best on the white lions, but the Banner of Sorcery will be, too.

I would go for:
- Ellyrian Standard > Dragon Princes
- War Banner > Spear Elves
- Lion Standard > White Lions
- Banner of Sorcers > Swordmasters

(If you don't use Dragon Princes, don't use the Ellyrian Standard.

Gadhrain
10-11-2007, 08:22
How come everyone is so sure that the mage can't take armour?

I'm not on top of the new rule book but as far as I know the 'mages can't cast spells if wearing armour' part is gone from the rule book. Ie the reason that Eltharion can still cast spells when wearing heavy armour.

Instead there is a fussy paragraph about that 'you can only choose magic armour if you can take the non-magical equivalent if nothing else is stated'. And in the HE army book it clearly sais that the mages can take 'any' magic item.

So based on this, is it really so that HE mages can't take armour?

/Gadhrain

Ecclesiastes
10-11-2007, 09:28
Instead there is a fussy paragraph about that 'you can only choose magic armour if you can take the non-magical equivalent if nothing else is stated'.
/Gadhrain

If you can't take the mundane equivalent of the item, you can't take the magical one, so most mages still can't wear armor nor magical armor

10-11-2007, 16:53
don't put the banner of sorccery on sm they will get shot up and dp will be the target of every cannon out there. put the on the white lions they have better protection agains shooting.

True, White Lions are probably optimal, but in 40 or so games with a Banner of Sorcery in a 5 strong unit of DP's, I only lost it a couple of times. But that was the only unit I had that could field it.