PDA

View Full Version : Slaanesh Horde

Sleepwalker
08-11-2007, 23:44
I'm fairly new to WHF, having played 40k for a year and a half.

I've been thinking of picking up a Slaanesh orientated Hordes of Chaos force, starting at xmas.

My first aim is to get a 500pt Border Patrol going, then build from there over time, including the new Daemons release next year.

So far I'm thinking Exalted Champion with Mark of Slaanesh, 12 Warriors with Mark and a Chariot. Throw in a little magic for the Champion and that should cover a Border Patrol nicely.

Well, that's my thoughts. What do you think? And what added to this would be good to expand to 1000pts (my next target stage after 500)?

Cheers in advance for any assistance provided.

Briohmar
09-11-2007, 19:47
I've run this build a couple of times, seems to work OK. For a second 500 points, throw in a sorceror L2 with Power familiar 5 Marauder horse with flails and musician, 5 hounds, and 14 marauders with full command and flails, and you should be looking pretty good. Never underestimate the power of the hounds, especially in a border patrol as there is always someone with Night goblins with fanatics.

redyellowpinkgreen
09-11-2007, 21:40
i'd increase the warriors to 15 to get en extra rank

Sleepwalker
10-11-2007, 13:56
Thanks for the input.

I want my eventual force to have a unit of chaos knights as they are just mental, combined with the warriors to form the core. Was then think marauders could be the way to go for filling out the force.

Am also thinking of getting a Greater Daemon. They look good on paper. Are they actually good on the field?

sun tzu
10-11-2007, 14:11
Greater daemons are fire magnets:D
Marauders are not bad but their biggest weekness is the fact they come on 25mm bases, how you equip them is a big thing too
Slannesh magic is one of the harder lores to use well

Hounds are a must

Briohmar
10-11-2007, 16:41
Marauders are not bad but their biggest weekness is the fact they come on 25mm bases, how you equip them is a big thing too

Hounds are a must

I have actually found that in many cases, my marauders become the fire magnets. Most people know that with bows there's little chance of wounding a Warrior or Chaos knight, and even if they do, Slaanesh Mark troops aren't going to run away, so most players will focus their bowfire and artillery against the big marauder blocks just to get the kills. I find this rather humorous as I have a tendency to be pretty pedestrian with them to begin with. A good example of this, my mage on chariot decided that he didn't need to hang out near the front of the battle anymore against the orcs, so peeled off to claim a table quarter, but on his way back, he cast the frenzy spell on the marauders who had just charged a big unit of orc boys. He didn't even bat an eye at the thought of a D6 marauders dying every player's turn, just so long as they hit a lot with their flails on the first round of combat.
Greater Daemons will definitely get shot, and magiced to pieces in short order. Knights rock, and chosen knights are madmen. I have played a game at 500 points with a sorceror, 5 Knights, and 5 hounds. Believe it or not they did really well against anything they faced, though they were usually outnumbered about 20 to 1. (two greenskin players, 1 Skaven player, 1 VC Player, and 1 Empire player in the campaign with me.

sulla
10-11-2007, 19:06

Hounds are a must

Hmmm, with a march move of 18", I find it very easy to minimise shooting at a greater daemon of slaanesh.

And for me personally, Slaaneshi magic has always been the easiest and most powerful lore to get results out of. Magic missile heavy lores simply can't dent the armourand mage heavy forces i face around here. I might get perhaps one spell through per turn. With Slaaneshi magic, even one spell can be game breaking...

Briohmar
10-11-2007, 19:35
And for me personally, Slaaneshi magic has always been the easiest and most powerful lore to get results out of. Magic missile heavy lores simply can't dent the armourand mage heavy forces i face around here. I might get perhaps one spell through per turn. With Slaaneshi magic, even one spell can be game breaking...

Agreed, Enrapturing Spasms is potentially the most powerful spell in the game. I can't tell you how many times my troops have charged in with only a low percentage chance of winning a fight ending up winning by huge numbers because the enemy unit just stood there and let me hit them. being able to frenzy a unit, friend or foe, is also really great, as is the ability to make a particularly pesky unitmove out of your way, or expose its flank to you. I even found that an Empire elctor count, who is dumb enough to ride with IC knights will do some serious damage with his Runefang if he should decide to attack them. I watched 6 IC's die in two rounds, leaving only the General still standing. Though as a rule that spell is usually pretty weak.