PDA

View Full Version : 2000-3000pts High elves

Stella Cadente
08-11-2007, 23:53
ok so I'm building a High elf force, as the title obviously states, HOWEVER, I have very little money, so I have to make a list I can actually afford to make

Unfortunately this does mean that units like swordmasters, lions, guard etc etc aren't very practical for the beginning, since making a survivable unit of them would cost quite a bit of cash

so my armies basic construction of 2000pts will be made from 2 of the ever useful High Elf battleforces and a few nice bits and bobs to expand to 3000pts

anyway here we go

Dragon Mage of Caledor
lv-2
Staff of solidity
Guardian Phoenix
=430pts

Mage
lv-2
dispel scroll
the Skeinsliver
=180pts

Noble
Standard bearer
Biting blade
Armour of Caledor
=145pts

10 Archers
Musician
=115pts

10 Archers
Musician
=115pts

20 Spearmen
full command
=205pts

20 Spearmen
full command
=205pts

7 Silver Helms
Full command
=201pts

7 Silver Helms
Full command
=201pts

repeater Bolt thrower
=100pts

repeater Bolt thrower
=100pts

and now the next 1000pts (well 1003 to be precise) to make it 3000pts

Mage
lv-2
elven steed
Dispel scroll
Jewel of the dusk
=182pts

Lion Chariot of chrace
=140pts

Lion Chariot of chrace
=140pts

Great Eagle
=50pts

Great Eagle
=50pts

15 Lothern Sea Guard
Shields
full command
=220pts

15 Lothern Sea Guard
Shields
full command
=220pts

I've gone with the old tactic of two of everything makes the best

very defensive, but some faster elements to wrap around the enemy flanks and take out warmachines and wizards, while the center holds out with the help of magic and the banner, waiting for a rear attack from the sent out units

neo_ebrick
09-11-2007, 04:23
as an old high elf player i would like to say what were you thinking? The new rules came out for a reason, i know that you are facing issues with cost, but where are the new heavy hitting units? 2 lion chariots, 2 units of sh? only st5 you have. if your going to build a good list cost will be a factor since now theres so many good special choices look at the awsome-ness of the new dp's my personal favorite with a noble and the new lance they can break any unit they hit at only 6 modles.

Stella Cadente
09-11-2007, 15:08
as an old high elf player i would like to say what were you thinking?
I was thinking "oooh plastic...oooh cheap"

The new rules came out for a reason, i know that you are facing issues with cost, but where are the new heavy hitting units? 2 lion chariots, 2 units of sh?
sh?...oh silver helms, well unfortunately cost is more important to me at the moment, but I don't really see a huge need for heavy hitters, and although Dragon princes may do more damage, there a smaller unit and will not last as long

if your going to build a good list cost will be a factor since now theres so many good special choices
yes there are, but considering for example a 15 man unit of Swordmasters (the minimum number I would consider taking) will cost me 36, thats almost an entire battleforce

look at the awsome-ness of the new dp's my personal favorite with a noble and the new lance they can break any unit they hit at only 6 modles.
dp?...OH dragon princes, christ I HATE abbreviations, they only hit at 6 models yes, but also hit at 42, again thats pretty much a battleforce, those prices are just too unrealistic for me to afford

EndlessBug
09-11-2007, 15:34
I see your points on cost, btu 5 Dragon Princes x2 is MUCH better than 7 Silver helms x 2, by miles. other than that good lists.

SV_Harlequin
09-11-2007, 16:06
Hey matey, Proxy some Silver Helms minis as DPrinces until you can afford some and if you want instead just covnert them to be DPrinces. The Dragon Shields, paint the steeds black, the armour in Red and or Green and a banner with the old DPrince rune get the DPrince Champion Arm use bits from the new Dragon Mage and Prince/Noble Boxes.

Stella Cadente
14-11-2007, 04:30
Proxying is frowned upon in my area unfortunatly, I can barely get away with it once in my 40k force, a whole unit would really be pushing it, anyway it kinda suits me new feel, I like the idea of Citizen levy forces, with a few nobles to keep them in place and show them how its done

I've redone the lists slightly, mainly just refined and re-shuffled the characters and there items, but kept the basics of the force the same

Archmage
Lv-4
2xDispel scrolls
Silver Wand
=310pts

Mage
Lv-2
Dispel Scroll
Jewel of the dusk
=170pts

Noble
Battle standard bearer
Dragon armour
Enchanted Shield
=126

Noble
Armour of Caledor
The Skeinsliver
great weapon
=118pts

10 archers
Musician
=115pts

10 archers
Musician
=115pts

20 Spearmen
Full command
=205pts

20 Spearmen
Full command
=205pts

6 Silver Helms
Shields
Full command
=178pts

6 Silver Helms
Shields
Full command
=178pts

2xBolt Throwers
=200pts

1xGreat Eagle

=1995pts

and now the 1005pts to make the full 3000pts
the plan is to make this additional 1000pts as mobile as I can, and 4 flying beasts and 3 chariots will hopefully be mobile enough, AND still hard hitting, the flyers can attack war machine crews and rears of units, while chariots concentrate on flanks

Dragon Mage of Caledor
Lv-2
Dispel scroll
Staff of Solidity
Talisman of Protection
=435

3xLion Chariots of Chrace
=420pts

3xGreat Eagles
=150pts

Eldem
14-11-2007, 04:59
I like the 2nd list a lot actually And I don;t see any real flaw to it other than speed mabey some shadow warriors you can probably get last editions cheap on ebay

Stella Cadente
14-11-2007, 05:10
I like the 2nd list a lot actually And I don;t see any real flaw to it other than speed mabey some shadow warriors you can probably get last editions cheap on ebay
I was actually VERY tempted by shadow warriors, and I know a friend who's selling 10 of them for 10, if he has them still, then I'll have an 8 man unit to replace 1 chariot

14-11-2007, 05:27
Congratulations on choosing High Elves. Condolences on not being able to afford the units that make a competitive list.

It's all about the (expensive metal model) elite infantry. Six special choices and you cannot afford most of them. That's a damn shame.

To be honest, you're going to struggle with what you've got. That's totally okay if you're focused on learning the game and getting familiar with parts of your army. Be prepared to lose frequently. You've got no hitters.

Suggestions: Find opponents who'll let you "count as" for the time being. Tell the hard-noses to sod off. Better to play with 2-3 understanding opponents who'll let you get up to speed.

I'm in a gaming group that has some of the top indy tournament players in the US. They have some of the best painted armies too. And yet I've seen them proxy all manner of weird stuff, including empty bases, while they're experimenting with a new army or their models are at home on the painting table. They play against newbies with unpainted or crap painted armies too.

Let eBay be your friend. You can get some old-style Dragon Princes for cheap. Maybe even some Swordmasters, Phoenix Guard or White Lions at a good price if they have crappy paint jobs. No bother - let 'em soak in Simple Green and then scrub them with a toothbrush (not yours). Viola! Prime and paint.

Good luck.

Stella Cadente
14-11-2007, 05:37
To be honest, you're going to struggle with what you've got. That's totally okay if you're focused on learning the game and getting familiar with parts of your army. Be prepared to lose frequently. You've got no hitters.
I don't mind losing too much, being competitive and winning is far far down on my list of priorities, winning is just an added bonus to me

Suggestions: Find opponents who'll let you "count as" for the time being. Tell the hard-noses to sod off. Better to play with 2-3 understanding opponents who'll let you get up to speed.

unfortunately its a Store rule, so the opponent doesn't really come into it