PDA

View Full Version : ork special rules

shin'keiro
09-11-2007, 06:40
I managed to get a look at the special rules for ork squads..

furious assault, mob rules and waaagh!

All ork squads have these special rules including deffkopters and bikers... but why?.. most orks in the new codex are strength 3 and INi. 2 or 3... so with furious assault theyre only Ini 3 or 4 and strength 4 on the charge after that theyre same strength as guardsmen with a worse Ini. With most of the Elites the same points as Space marines. Didnt orks used to be strength 4 all the time?

The Waaagh! gives them 'fleet of foot' for one round, once per game

Mob rules allows them to choose their leadership at the number in the squad (more than 11 they become fearless.

Kasonic
09-11-2007, 07:00
Didnt orks used to be strength 4 all the time?

Nope.

The Waaagh! gives them +1 WS for one round, once per game

Nope, you're thinking of a piece of wargear.

shin'keiro
09-11-2007, 07:05
Nope, you're thinking of a piece of wargear.

yes sorry - ive edited it now to fleet

Hellebore
09-11-2007, 07:08
Basic orks are also cheaper than they used to be so the small downgrade shouldn't affect overall ability.

An ork warboss charging with a uge choppa is striking at S8 and I5 which isn't too shabby (and the instant death will be great even without ignoring armour saves).

I think the new ork codex is awesome and a great thing after waiting so long for a redo.

Hellebore

Reflex
09-11-2007, 07:43
well, space marines and necrons couldent be happier.. no choppa's... thank god!

i think thats the last of them... no more khorne choppers and no more ork choppers... i can finally take some terminators against orks... if i had terminators.... :(

Hellebore
09-11-2007, 07:48
I think that with the removal of the heavy close combat weapon rule, and the limit on power weapons they are making 3+ saves better without doing anything to the save itself.

We can see that they've scaled back the number of special rules for each codex so that now only a very few units get them, this also has made those few units stand out.

All in all I think it's a good thing...

Hellebore

Brother Siccarius
09-11-2007, 07:54
I think that with the removal of the heavy close combat weapon rule, and the limit on power weapons they are making 3+ saves better without doing anything to the save itself.

We can see that they've scaled back the number of special rules for each codex so that now only a very few units get them, this also has made those few units stand out.

All in all I think it's a good thing...

Hellebore

With the quite notable difference of the Ork codex and Eldar codex, where nearly every unit in it has special rules.

Hellebore
09-11-2007, 08:08
With the quite notable difference of the Ork codex and Eldar codex, where nearly every unit in it has special rules.

The eldar codex only has special rules in the form of Exarch powers which are supposed to be special.

The orks have their own racial special rules, just as the tyranids have theirs.

The space marines still have and they shall know no fear.

I was referring to USRs.

The only units in the new ork codex with USRs (excepting Furious Charge as a racial ability) are kommandos and dethcoptas afaik.

Gone are the days when you could purchase a half dozen USRs for every unit in your army.

Hellebore

Latro_
09-11-2007, 08:15
They may be as strong as a guardsmen but factor in all those rules, mob,warrgh, furious charge. Wrap it up with two base attacks, S4 shooty guns and the fact that they'll cost the same! per head as a basic guardsman and they're amazing!

Brother Siccarius
09-11-2007, 08:21
The eldar codex only has special rules in the form of Exarch powers which are supposed to be special.

The orks have their own racial special rules, just as the tyranids have theirs.

The space marines still have and they shall know no fear.

I was referring to USRs.

The only units in the new ork codex with USRs (excepting Furious Charge as a racial ability) are kommandos and dethcoptas afaik.

Gone are the days when you could purchase a half dozen USRs for every unit in your army.

Hellebore

I'm actually talking non-USR special rules that go specifically for certain units. There wern't any USRs in previous codexies because USRs didn't exist. The only codex where you could buy army special rules for certain units was Chaos last edition.

So, like I said, nearly every unit in both Ork and Eldar codexies have their own specific unit special rules beyond USRs. Which SM and CSM lack for the most part.

Hellebore
09-11-2007, 08:33
I'm actually talking non-USR special rules that go specifically for certain units. There wern't any USRs in previous codexies because USRs didn't exist. The only codex where you could buy army special rules for certain units was Chaos last edition.

So, like I said, nearly every unit in both Ork and Eldar codexies have their own specific unit special rules beyond USRs. Which SM and CSM lack for the most part.

Specific unit special rules? The new ork codex has very few units that have 'unit specific' rules.

The orks as a whole receive Mob Rule, Waaagh!, and Furious Charge

The only units that deviate from those are:

Warbikers (who have their Exhaust cloud cover save as a special rule)
Tank bustas (who have the glory hogs special rule which isn't an advantageous one)
Kommandos (who have Inflitrate and Move through cover - the standard pairing for scouting types)
Deffcoptas (who have Scouts and Hit and Run)

Every other ork unit has the standard 3 racial special rules.

So I wouldn't say that's most of the units, 4 of the 11 ork infantry/bike units types in the army is a little over a third.

Hellebore