PDA

View Full Version : Expanding my Wood Elf army

Caligula
09-11-2007, 14:27
Hey once again everybody. I've been using this 1000 point Wood Elf army for a good while now, and have had an excellent rate of success with it. I'm very happy with the force as a whole as it stands, but am wanting to take it to the next level. That's right, the coveted 2000 point level. Here's the army as it is now at 1000 points.

Wood Elf Noble-
Great Weapon
Light Armour
Alter Kindred
Helm of the Hunt
Hail of Doom Arrow

Branchwraith-
A Cluster of Radiants
A Pageant of Shrikes

10 Glade Guard

10 Glade Guard

5 Glade Riders-
Musician

8 Dryads

8 Dryads

5 Wild Riders of Kurnous-
Musician
Standard Bearer
Wild Hunter

Come out to exactly 1000 points if I recall. Anyway, what I'm looking for is suggestions on what to add and/or change in this force to make it into an effective 2000 point list. I'd like to keep all the current elements of this list in there, as I'm very happy with their performance for the most part.

So, what would you suggest adding to create a 2000 point WE army?

Chaos Undecided
09-11-2007, 14:55
Personally I'd suggest something along the following.

I think at least one mage is a definite requirement for the list, maybe taking the lord level spellweaver or a pair of spellsingers and then consider upgrading your alter kindred hero to a highborn.

I'd suggest another unit of glade guard upgraded to scouts for war machine hunting although warhawk riders and waywatchers could perform the same role but for more points,and waywatchers are a very nice unit to take in anycase.

Consider increasing the size of your Dryad units to at least 12 per unit and add a champion at least to which ever unit presumably that the branch wraith doesnt join.

I'd also recommend investing in a unit of wardancers as well they can be very effective if used right.

Not keeping track of exact costs but you'll probably find that uses up most of 1000pts especially if you take a reasonable sized unit of waywatchers.

darkprincewilson
09-11-2007, 15:06
I would consider adding the Treeman.
I also second the use of Wardancers and a high level mage.

I have found my Treeman to be extremely beneficial. The Wardancers will also be successful when you can get them into combat. Getting them there can be a little tricky.

Caligula
09-11-2007, 15:19
Okay, thanks for the advice! I don't want to go too magic heavy with these guys, but I do understand that, at the very least, some magical protection is needed. Here's the additions I've planned in accordance with some of your advice.

Highborn-
Wild Rider Kindred
Elven Steed
The Dawnspear
Stone of the Crystal Mere

Spellsinger-
Level 2
Ranu's Heartstone
Dispel Scroll

7 Wardancers-
Musician
Bladesinger

5 Waywatchers

Treeman

Comes to 1000 points, and combined with the above force, I think should do pretty well. Thoughts?

darkprincewilson
09-11-2007, 17:32
Personally, I would have 2 spellcasters at 2K. I have gotten in trouble blocking spells and lost a game because of it.

Other than your characters, I like your list.

Malorian
09-11-2007, 20:23
I play woodelves, I have zero magic casters in my list, and I do fine.

Because I don't have magic it allows me to take a dragon at 2000, and with that dragon I make sure my opponent doesn't have casters for very long.

I've even beaten magic heavy TK (although magic heavy chaos gave me a thrashing)

What I'm trying to say is, you wanted the second 1000 to match the first, so don't feel pressured to add things you don't want.

I'd suggest taking your first list, double it, and then look at what you know thing you have too much of and what you want to add.