PDA

View Full Version : Heroes, season 2 *SPOILERS*

der_lex
09-11-2007, 22:04
Prior warning: consider the entire thread spoiler tagged. If you're not up to 2.07 yet, consider yourself warned.

After spending tonight catching up on the last three episodes, I was wondering what everyone was thinking of the new season so far?

Personally, I think the first four episodes were rather dull, but it seems to be finally picking up: the storylines that were going absolutely nowhere and were dragging the show down (trailer-park girl complaining about her dead-end job, the god-awful teenage romance beween Claire and 'dear god, please have Sylar eat his brain' West) seem to have been resolved, and although I'm a bit miffed that they've used the 'hop to the future to see how horrible the world's become' thing yet again, the big plague offers some promising possibilities if handled well.

I'm looking forward a lot to seeing more of the Petrelli's this season... I really wonder what Nathan's little inner conflict and little nightmare visions of himself are about, and the idea that Peter might end up being partners with this season's 'big bad' is quite cool. Something tells me that when Sylar inevitably gets his powers back, we might be getting that big Peter-Sylar clash after all... but this time with Sylar in an uneasy alliance with the good guys.
And I finally want to know what ma Petrelli's power is, darn it...something still tells me she has one (suggestion?), and that she's a lot more than she seems.

On a closing note, I'll be sincerely pissed off if they really end up killing Noah, though, since he's still my favourite character. He should be smart enough to turn the situation to his advantage as always, though.

whiteshields1830
09-11-2007, 22:27
i reckon noah will inevitably get killed, everything that the painting depicts always happen (like the conflict between hiro and 'adam'). Might be killed by dr saresh (he WAS holding a gun in the painting)?

I reckon a highlight for me in the recent episode is parker gaining the ability to trap people in nightmares, even better at it that his father (after all he did trap his own dad - the expert in all nightmares - in a nightmare)

the peter petrelli bit i dont like. Hes become a hero that forgot what he can do - to me he always seem to be the uber hero.

as for 'adam' what power does he have other than immortality? is it like claires powers? ie. weakness is to stab him at the back of his head?

der_lex
09-11-2007, 22:52
I think Adam's power might be exactly the same as Claire's (which is neat enough in itself... virtual immortality's nothing to be balked at). Since there's some other duplicate powers out there, I wonder if there's some sort of pattern to it, or if the writers are just lazy.

I do like Adam a lot, by the way... but that's because I'm a bit of a David Anders fan. And I agree that Peter is too powerful, but that's why I'm excited about the possibility of all that power being on the wrong side for a change. It'll be interesting to see if the rest can take him down collectively, if need be.

Parker has indeed become a bit cooler now...wonder if he'll be able to handle all his new-found power. I'm glad they found a good arc for Suresh as well. Still not sure about Nikki, though. Just when she started to use her powers, they get taken away from her. Unless they give her a little more personality, she won't be all that interesting.

As for Noah getting killed... we've only seen that somebody who looks like him will get killed. There could be shapeshifting or such involved, and the person holding Claire in the painting might be Noah himself.

whiteshields1830
10-11-2007, 00:03
I think Adam's power might be exactly the same as Claire's (which is neat enough in itself... virtual immortality's nothing to be balked at). Since there's some other duplicate powers out there, I wonder if there's some sort of pattern to it, or if the writers are just lazy.

but immortaility isnt that great in the fact that there is a weakness (like whe peter or claire got stabbed in the back of the head - makes them in essence 'dead')

as for the noah painting, never really thought about that it could be a shape shifter (there arent any in the present crew other than sylar as i recall?). I reckon Noahs being abit too aggresive now, everything needs to be done HIS way, no excuses no arguements, hes always right according to him.

but i agree with parker, with his ability to trap people in nightmares, itll be very powerful, only peter can counter it (you cant get out of it unless you have the same ability yea?).

as for nikki (forgot about her) - she has the worst power ever in the series.

der_lex
10-11-2007, 00:28
On Adam- It's not flawless, but it sure beats aging and dying from natural causes :). I originally thought, by the way, that Kensei would turn out to be Pa Petrelli, whose head is so conveniently turned away on the group foto. I still don't believe the guy is actually dead...

On Noah - I'm actually happy he's back to his old self again...I kinda like him as a ruthless 'I'm so smart I don't need any powers' kind of guy. As for shapeshifting... there's Candice's illusion power, which Sylar may or may not have once his powers return (and if she didn't fake her own death with an illusion). The only problem there is that Candice reverted to her own shape when she died.

On Nikki - I don't know, super-strength is pretty neat. remember that her multiple personality disorder isn't actually part of her powers, it's a disease...unless sister dearest had to power to transfer her mind, and is actually really stuck in Nikki. I kinda doubt that, though. What I'm wondering is if the Company is helping Jessica become the dominant personality, and that it was actually Nikki trying to escape. When she introduced herself to Suresh, she seemed much more Jessica-like to me than Nikki-like. She could very well be Jessica 'playing nice' for now.

I also kinda like Elle (lightning girl). Wonder who her 'daddy' will turn out to be, and if she's really a company agent or in league with Adam.

Next episode should be interesting, though, since the title is 'Four Months ago'. Should fill in some blanks, at least.

Sasquatch_Man
10-11-2007, 02:36
I'm really enjoying the second season of Heroes. In Oz we are only up to the sixth episode I think('line in the sand'). Really liking the 'Nathan and Parkman', 'Hiro and Kensei' and 'Peter' storylines. Though to me they have WAY too many storylines running at the same time. I'm sick to death of Claire being so whiney and West just existing.

I'm hoping Noah doesn't die though it looks likely it still might not happen(after all, they changed the future before, they can do it again). Also, whats with powers being replicated all of a sudden(besides Peter's mimricy). Really looking forward to next weeks ep.

-S-

kortholaxthedamned
10-11-2007, 09:27
Pretty good, some parts I could do without (West, the Japanese plotline dragged on a few episodes too long) and not nessicarily up to the standard of the first few episodes of the first series, but even a duller episode of Heroes is still good. It's took them a while to get around to the overall story arc (the plague) and it should hot up from here on in. Hopefully.

der_lex
10-11-2007, 13:29
The Japan plotline could've been better, IMO, if they'd shown some more of the actual fights and Kensei/Hiro shenanigans needed to 'fill out' the legend. Instead, because of budget constraints, it was several episodes of Hiro mooning over his princess. Now that he's back in the present, I'm wondering how they'll tie him back in to the present... he'll probably g back to NY to investigate his father's murder, but I wonder if he might not go back in time and try to prevent it instead?

vcassano
10-11-2007, 16:45
Didn't Hiro going back in time make Takezo Kensei/Adam bad and thus kill his father? That is, assuming Adam was the one behind the attempt at killing all of those in the picture.

kortholaxthedamned
10-11-2007, 17:28
Didn't Hiro going back in time make Takezo Kensei/Adam bad and thus kill his father? That is, assuming Adam was the one behind the attempt at killing all of those in the picture.

Well, that remains to be seen...

nurgle_boy
10-11-2007, 20:53
Oh my days... Just caught up on the past three as well, and my was I impressed. I never even thought that adam could be kensai.

The virus plot intrigues me, although has there been any info i have yet missed on how it spreads?

and Sylar being all sinister with the whole 'I'll kill you' thing...

love it!

bring on episode 8!

der_lex
11-11-2007, 02:55
The virus spreading from 'supernaturals' to humans, you mean? Not really. It's a mutation of the virus that Shanti and Molly had... possibly the one that Nikki stuck inside herself. I think Sylar might have it as well, since he's currently de-powered.

I always figured that Kensei would carry over into the present, but I thought he would turn out to be pa Petrelli after seeing the group photo of the Twelve (I still wonder if that's an X-Men reference or not)... that sideways shot of pa really looks a lot like Kensei if you look closely. But unless Adam is really Pa Petrelli, I guess I was wrong.

piotrov
11-11-2007, 05:13
I always figured that Kensei would carry over into the present, but I thought he would turn out to be pa Petrelli after seeing the group photo of the Twelve (I still wonder if that's an X-Men reference or not)... that sideways shot of pa really looks a lot like Kensei if you look closely. But unless Adam is really Pa Petrelli, I guess I was wrong.
Except that what I've read in the online comics make it appear that Papa Patrelli doesn't have powers, leaving Mama Pateelli to be the powered one in the family. So, what is her power, anyway...?

Not to say that they won't reveal him (Papa P.) to have powers anyway, so who knows. I'm still not convinced that his death was anything as simple as a suicide, so maybe Adam was the one that killed him. Hmmm....

El_Machinae
11-11-2007, 13:23
I'm enjoying Heroes, don't get me wrong. But there seems to be a new trend in TV, where there are multiple plots and each of them go very slowly, with almost nothing actually happening to a character over the course of episodes. I feel like the stories drag, but we're still fixated on the TV with pleasure.

Reabe
11-11-2007, 18:01
Funnily enough, the creator, Tim Kring, has apologise for the poor performance of the current series. Here (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20158840,00.html)'s the link.

Personally, I found West annoying and I felt the Death-Eyes-of-Death-Twins Storyline was going to take far too long. (Mexico to New York? They won't get there 'till series three!) And Sylar's Card Carrying Villainy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CardCarryingVillain) was getting boring. Hadn't anything that had happen so far proven anything to him? Someone was trying to help him, who he could then later kill and eat her brain, but he just couldn't wait and killed her anyway.

First Eden, then Charlie, then Simone and finally Candice. Women die as easily in Heroes as they do in Comic Books (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WomenInRefrigerators)!

der_lex
11-11-2007, 22:30
Except that what I've read in the online comics make it appear that Papa Patrelli doesn't have powers, leaving Mama Pateelli to be the powered one in the family. So, what is her power, anyway...?

Not to say that they won't reveal him (Papa P.) to have powers anyway, so who knows. I'm still not convinced that his death was anything as simple as a suicide, so maybe Adam was the one that killed him. Hmmm....

I never read the online comics...but it looks like I might have to start, then, despite the god-awful interface.
Interesting and odd thing is that Adam's referred to as someone who co-founded the Company, yet he's not in the group photo at all...unless he was already trapped when the picture was taken, or is the one holding the camera...

Funnily enough, the creator, Tim Kring, has apologise for the poor performance of the current series. Here (http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20158840,00.html)'s the link.

Yes, I read that as well...I think it's a bit of a weak move, to be honest. When you make something, and you're not compromised by the studio in any way, be proud of what you're created, even if others bitch about it later. It's your vision, not anyone else's...you're fans don't 'own' the show.

If there's anything Kring should apologize for, it's not going ahead with his original plan and make season Two about a completely new cast. Now that would have been a bold move... but I guess the network put too much pressure on him. That's probably why Claire is still wasting space on screen, even though her character doesn't seem to be able to evolve beyond the self-involved teenager stereotype. She's back to where she was at the beginning of season one, without any of the character development she had toward the end.

Personally, I found West annoying

I don't think anybody will be arguing with you about that :D

and I felt the Death-Eyes-of-Death-Twins Storyline was going to take far too long. (Mexico to New York? They won't get there 'till series three!) And Sylar's Card Carrying Villainy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CardCarryingVillain) was getting boring. Hadn't anything that had happen so far proven anything to him? Someone was trying to help him, who he could then later kill and eat her brain, but he just couldn't wait and killed her anyway.

I'm still willing to give the twins the benefit of the doubt, especially since it might be fun to see a relatively innocent character such as Maya corrupted by her power, with a little help from our favourite brain-eater.

I'm not too bothered by Sylar killing Candice. I still see him as a junkie, utterly addicted to getting more and more powers. That and they needed to get his power loss across quickly, from a plot point of view...and not just the loss of his old powers, but his ability to acquire new ones as well.

First Eden, then Charlie, then Simone and finally Candice. Women die as easily in Heroes as they do in Comic Books (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WomenInRefrigerators)!

That's what they get for stepping out of the kitchen ;)
Seriously, though, I do agree that it's a shame most of them were killed off (except for Simone, she was a pretty annoying character that served no purpose other than creating a clichéd love triangle with Peter and Isaac), especially since both Eden and Candice still had a lot of potential. especially Eden's death seemed a bit pointless.

Thinking along those lines, though, I just realized that the only actual heroes that ended up getting killed were a Hispanic guy and a black guy... guess the writers of the show are not just misogynist, but racist too ;)

John Wayne II
11-11-2007, 22:39
I'm not too bothered by Sylar killing Candice. I still see him as a junkie, utterly addicted to getting more and more powers. That and they needed to get his power loss across quickly, from a plot point of view...and not just the loss of his old powers, but his ability to acquire new ones as well.

I think it is suggested in the show that Sylar still has his original power, since there are a few times when he's observing someone (usually Maya), and you hear the faint ticking of a clock. Also, when he kills the guy who owns the car he's travelling at the station we not only hear ticking, but we also see a cockroach on the dead guy's body, which was the last image we were left with last season and seems to be a recurring motif. One interesting theory I have heard of is that Sylar is actually an empath, like Peter, and only thinks he has to eat people's brains to acquire their powers.

der_lex
12-11-2007, 01:14
That's an interesting idea. It would conflict with the idea of his power being 'knowing how things work', though. Personally I kinda thought he might have a nonlethal version of the Shanti virus, or someone actively blocking the use of his power. The cockroaches appear in a lot more places in season One, but I never thought they 'belonged' to Sylar. I think another, as yet unrevealed, character might be using them as spies of some sort.

Inquisitor Engel
12-11-2007, 02:38
On a closing note, I'll be sincerely pissed off if they really end up killing Noah, though,

Don't you call him that! His NAME is Mr. Bennett!

:p

der_lex
12-11-2007, 02:45
Mea culpa, mea culpa... I usually just call him 'Horn-rimmed glasses', but that's such a handful to type ;)

He's still by far the coolest character in the series, though. His interrogation scene with the Russian was the high point of the season so far.

kortholaxthedamned
12-11-2007, 16:51
I never read the online comics...but it looks like I might have to start, then, despite the god-awful interface.

Oh god, I read them. The artwork was butt-ugly, but if you can stand it they offer a good insight into some characters backstories and fates (The Haitian, Hana Gitleman, Candice) and parts that the show missed out (How Sylar got from The Bennet's to Zane Taylors house, or who really stole Claire's car)

nurgle_boy
12-11-2007, 18:19
Oh god, I read them. The artwork was butt-ugly, but if you can stand it they offer a good insight into some characters backstories and fates (The Haitian, Hana Gitleman, Candice) and parts that the show missed out (How Sylar got from The Bennet's to Zane Taylors house, or who really stole Claire's car)

is there a link to this at all? im intrigued now...

kortholaxthedamned
12-11-2007, 18:30
Sure thing, I don't know how to link words, so here's the whole address.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Heroes_graphic_novels_%28Season_One%29

Just click the title of the comic to bring it up. It needs Adobe, and you'll have to trawl past the Nissan Versa ad in EVERY comic. But it's interesting.

nurgle_boy
12-11-2007, 18:38
dang. my machine is too slow to load it effectivly... balls...

ah well. I just had a thought- has anyone compiled all of the powers and who owns them into one list yet. I'm not talking 'peter can use other peoples powers' something more specifics, such as peter-Empath. It would just be a nice reference to have, as some of the ideas that heroes is throwing up for powers would be lovely for RPG references :D

anyway, just a thought
NB

kortholaxthedamned
12-11-2007, 19:51
dang. my machine is too slow to load it effectivly... balls...

ah well. I just had a thought- has anyone compiled all of the powers and who owns them into one list yet. I'm not talking 'peter can use other peoples powers' something more specifics, such as peter-Empath. It would just be a nice reference to have, as some of the ideas that heroes is throwing up for powers would be lovely for RPG references :D

anyway, just a thought
NB

Your wiki-fu is weak....there are lists of most Heroes characters with powers on there.

thegnome
13-11-2007, 01:23
I'm just glad that with the last couple of chapters, the show has really picked up again. A late convert to the series (I bought the DVDs upon release the day before a surgery, so I had a lot of time to watch them), I was disappointed with a lot of what Kring apologized for. I'm looking forward to tonight's episode, and hopefully some more Elle. Call me a Veronica Mars fanboy, but I'm intrigued...

piotrov
13-11-2007, 06:13
I'm looking forward to tonight's episode, and hopefully some more Elle. Call me a Veronica Mars fanboy, but I'm intrigued...
If you haven't already seen the new episode, I don't think you'll be disappointed. A lot of ground is covered, but we do get to see a little bit of Elle in all of it.

As far as the comics, I thought the art was very hit or miss. Some was "butt ugly", but a good chunk of it was really quite good. You can read them all at the NBC website (http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/novels/novels_library.shtml) as well, without Acrobat, but the viewing system isn't really any better or faster. But DC comics just released a hardcover collection (http://www.amazon.com/Heroes-One-Various/dp/1401217052/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194938128&sr=8-3) of the first batch/season of comics, and it's also got some extras like a Tim Sale art gallery and interviews. Pretty cool (but I'm waiting for a softcover version).

Oh, and another thought I had tonight:
I wonder if Maya will be able to kill Adam, since nobody else can. I would think that whatever she does isn't something you can "heal" from, per se.

Inquisitor Engel
13-11-2007, 15:11
I wonder if Maya will be able to kill Adam, since nobody else can. I would think that whatever she does isn't something you can "heal" from, per se.

God, I hope not. The Maya/Alejandro line is so incredibly dull. Even Sylar isn't making it any better. I don't know what it is, but their overdramaticization of everything that occurs to them just gets on my nerves.

Besides, why would you want to kill Adam! :evilgrin:

der_lex
13-11-2007, 17:49
I've been thinking the same thing about Maya as well...she doesn't make much sense as a character otherwise.

I was a bit disappointed by Four Months Ago, but possibly because I was expecting some big revelations...instead, a lot of blanks got filled in in exactly the way I had expected to, or in an utterly inane way (DL's death...what a lame way for him to go). Elle was the big high note of the episode, though 'her little recap of her past, and especially the 'paranoid sociopath' line, was hilarious...

whiteshields1830
13-11-2007, 19:52
I agree with DLs death being lame, and just a excuse to clear out some characters.

In this episode, adam doesnt make out to be the 'bad guy' at all like in the nippon era, very deceiving.
As for the peter-adam partnership, its getting me excited for the next episode. Bob seems to be a pretty bad character. I reckon hes like Noah in his aggressiveness to bring 'sick people' to be tested, but without the aggressive capture (rather he negotiates).

as a aside: kristen bell is hot...

nurgle_boy
13-11-2007, 20:09
just saw the latest episode, and it was a bit meh, but still good. oh, and am i just being a bit dense, but who was the flying blokey that carried peter to safety, or was that peter carrying nathan... I'm not sure... either way, they both shouldve had their hair burned off, so it was silly :D

and yes, DL's death was the poo... why is it he can phase out when punched, but not when he is about to be shot? silly really...

der_lex
13-11-2007, 20:27
It was a post-explosion Peter carrying Nathan.

And I'm looking forward to Adam and Peter 'saving the world' together... heh.

nurgle_boy
13-11-2007, 20:32
It was a post-explosion Peter carrying Nathan.

And I'm looking forward to Adam and Peter 'saving the world' together... heh.

ah, my mistake. but then, why did he still have hair:confused: silly comic book physics...

I to am intrigued as to what 'saving the world' will be like.

kortholaxthedamned
13-11-2007, 20:48
ah, my mistake. but then, why did he still have hair:confused: silly comic book physics...

I to am intrigued as to what 'saving the world' will be like.

I can hazard a guess.

'Hey, check out this neat virus. We can use it to...woops'

*Smash*

*WORLD DIES.*

Dirty Fingers
14-11-2007, 01:52
YEah I like Adam a lot. He doesn't have the whole "obviously creepy, why do the characters not realize it" thing that Sylar has. In fact, he looks and acts pretty normally, which is awesome.

Question though, and i've never understood this since the end of season one, and i think may've missed something this episode, cuz i still don't get it.

Why did Nathan have to fly peter up? CAn't Peter fly himself? Is it because he can't control his power when he's going nuclear?

Also, how did Peter survive going nuclear unscathed?

der_lex
14-11-2007, 02:15
Last episode, Peter actually mentioned in midflight to Nathan that he couldn't use any of his other powers because all his control was needed to keep from exploding. After the explosion, he could fly and use his other powers again. The healing power he copied from Claire probably kept him from taking any serious damage from the blast (his clothes were pretty frazzed up, though).

Scythe
14-11-2007, 07:38
And those healing powers made him regrow his hair after the blast, as well. ;)

I liked the latest episode a lot. Yeah, DLs dead felt rushed, but then, everyone assumed he had died due Linderman anyway. He was just brought back as a plot device to get Nicky enter the company. On the company: am I the only one loving Bobs character? He seems a bit like the evil manipulator, but he also seems to have other sides (eg, Mohinder convincing him not to use the 'cure' on the copycat girl). Great character, his true motivations and thoughts still seem to ellude me.

The latest episode also made me like Adam a lot more. During the Kensei arc, he was just cardbord, but the manipulation of Peter was done rather nicely.

Inquisitor Engel
14-11-2007, 13:55
What I really, really want to see is more of the copy-cat girl . She's cool.

Also, I want to see Bob turn someone into Gold. That too, would be awesome.

der_lex
14-11-2007, 18:17
Bob is definitely cool, not in the least because Stephen Tobolowsky is an awesome actor (loved him in Deadwood). I don't know if he can turn non-metallic objects into gold, though.

Copycat-girl definitely has the potential to be cool now that she's not whining about how unfair her life is anymore... wonder if she'll go down the 'costumed crime-fighter' route like the character from the 9th wonders comic.

thegnome
14-11-2007, 23:57
Kring has said that Bob can do more than just turn things into gold, so hopefully we'll see some of that in the December 3rd possible finale.

Dirty Fingers
15-11-2007, 02:05
Thanks for the explanation, i figured i missed something that Peter said (loud housemates).

I too am enjoying Bob a lot, and second that seeing him turn someone to gold would be fifteen shades of awesome.

Anybody have any idea what Ma Petrelli can do? I have a feeling it'd be beast. I'm leaning towards wondering whether she has control over the weather, in light of Bob showing that Miami storm headline.

Inquisitor Engel
15-11-2007, 05:55
Anybody have any idea what Ma Petrelli can do? I have a feeling it'd be beast. I'm leaning towards wondering whether she has control over the weather, in light of Bob showing that Miami storm headline.

That's possible - I'd have thought it was Adam for a while, but since he's clearly healing it's not him. I'm curious to know what Nathan and Peter's father could do as well.

Scythe
15-11-2007, 07:26

Last episode I thought for a second it was something like mind influence or mind control when she 'persuaded' Nathans wife while holding her hands. Still, seems that would be a bit off...

der_lex
15-11-2007, 12:32
The 'touch and suggest' is something she's done a few times in season 1 as well...

nurgle_boy
15-11-2007, 13:10
The 'touch and suggest' is something she's done a few times in season 1 as well...

meh, weve already seen that woman from season one use the whole 'suggestion' thing. I want to watch heros, not play D&D!

It's a bit poo to be honest, I want something interesting, not someone who is just really pursuasive...

Dirty Fingers
15-11-2007, 14:25
meh, weve already seen that woman from season one use the whole 'suggestion' thing. I want to watch heros, not play D&D!

It's a bit poo to be honest, I want something interesting, not someone who is just really pursuasive...

lmao, i already had totally forgotten that character. shows how memorable i found her. i admit to remember very much disliking the actress.

Scythe
15-11-2007, 14:42

Multiple people seem to have the same or similar abilities in Heroes.

I think it fits her quite well. The Petrelli mom has always been a sort of 'silent force' behind the brothers. Persuasion would supplement that really well. Not everyone has to be throwing out fireballs and lightning strikes to be interesting...

Minibull
15-11-2007, 14:45
How Sylar got from The Bennet's to Zane Taylors house, or who really stole Claire's car

Okay, I'm slow :D. I've read the comicx and didn't see who stole Claire's car, unless it was Mohinder when he was taking EMP man out of the hospital. That it?

kortholaxthedamned
15-11-2007, 15:22
Okay, I'm slow :D. I've read the comicx and didn't see who stole Claire's car, unless it was Mohinder when he was taking EMP man out of the hospital. That it?

One of the newer ones, you know Derek? The bloke Maya and co. met up with? He did it.

Minibull
15-11-2007, 15:30
One of the newer ones, you know Derek? The bloke Maya and co. met up with? He did it.

Ah, the one that Syler killed when he went to use the phone? For some strange reason, I wasn't connecting that Sylar was riding in Claire's car now...

warboss48
15-11-2007, 15:36
I'm really enjoying the new series, but did find DL's death a bit... disappointing. I really liked him.

Minibull
15-11-2007, 17:28

Ah, there is a 'bonus' comic on the Heroes site now that shows Derek and what happened to Claire's car.

kortholaxthedamned
15-11-2007, 17:38
Ah, there is a 'bonus' comic on the Heroes site now that shows Derek and what happened to Claire's car.

Yeah, although at the end, when he's been initiated into the frat-group of whatever it is, his friend's still with him. I thought the comic would end with him in the jail.

I never connected it either, until I read the comic.

Scythe
16-11-2007, 06:57
Is it strange that I made the connection of Sylar traveling in Claires car without reading the comic? For some reason, I noticed that from the start...

warboss48
16-11-2007, 14:40
Is it strange that I made the connection of Sylar traveling in Claires car without reading the comic? For some reason, I noticed that from the start...

I noticed that straight away as well.

der_lex
20-11-2007, 21:59
***2.09 spoilers ahead***

Just saw 2.09, and it's left me with mixed feelings.

Bennett- As glad as I am that Bennett lives, the situation felt like a bit of a cop-out. I also wonder why the Company would revive him, since he knows all the dirt on them. The only reason I can imagine is that they'll use him as a bargaining chip to deal with Claire. He was, as always, all kinds of awesome in this episode, though. His conversation in the car with Mohinder was pure gold.

Claire - Hope she'll become a bit less of a bratty teen after this, and reverts to the way she was when she jumped out a window to help out in the season 1 finale. I also hope the regenerative capabilities of her, Adams and possibly Peters blood won't prove to be too convenient a plot device to prevent character death, though. It could be a bit too powerful if handled improperly.

West - Alright, so he's not with the company, he's simply a really whiny kid with an attitude problem. I still hope Sylar gets his powers back and eats his brain. Afterdisemboweling him. Slowly.

Mohinder - I wonder where his brain has gone... he seems to be acting very irrationally this season. They might have to show his moral dilemma in a different way, because right now he just comes across as a whiny Company stooge.

Bob/Elle - Still two great characters. Interesting to see subtle manipulator Bob slip up for a change, but it also seemed slightly out of character. I wonder who'll turn out to be worse in the end, he or Adam.

Hiro - A nice way to answer the inevitable 'why doesn't he go back and save his dad' question. The exchange between Hiro and his younger self worked really well for me. The 'big reveal' that Adam killed Kaito didn't...I can't think of anyone who hadn't seen that one coming, so that big drama surrounding it seemed out of place. The 'frozen time' shot looked nice, though.

Parkman - His interrogation of Angela was the highlight of the episode for me, especially with the subtle indication that he had crossed the line when he added the woman's name to the picture at the end. I have to applaud the writers that they have made the blandest character of season 1 so interesting this season. I'm looking forward to seeing him deal with the inevitable corruption that his newfound power brings... And if he'll turn into 'fascist Parkman' from the future or not.

whiteshields1830
20-11-2007, 22:31
park man is choc full of powers this season. Indeed, one of the most boring in season one, now he can hear convos in heads, power of pursuesion, lock people into living their nightmares. Crazy.

As for noah, he was really good throughout, hes hardcore; talk with mohind and elle/bob. It goes to show that future cannot be changed no matter how in the end part of the series.

as for hiro...its cool he reasoned to why he didnt rescue his father, but was pretty bland streotype hero stuff (strength, 'something-i-forgot' and justice - its like spidermans shytty motto: great power comes great rsponsibility)

i dont care about the claire/west love story interest, never did, so i wouldnt start now.

Scythe
21-11-2007, 07:21
The future was changed tough; isaacs painting of new york being blown up never became reality (or... not yet perhaps?). Also, the trips to the future in season 1 and 2 of Hiro/Peter don't seem to be in the conventional time line either.

I really enjoyed last episode. For a moment, I really thought Bennet was killed of for good. I wonder who brought him back tough (Mohinder with a bad consiousness?) I must say, I love characters like Bob and Bennet this season. They really seem to blur in the area between what is right and wrong. And it seems Parkman and Mohinder are slowely slipping down the slope as well.

Dirty Fingers
21-11-2007, 15:29
The future was changed tough; isaacs painting of new york being blown up never became reality (or... not yet perhaps?). Also, the trips to the future in season 1 and 2 of Hiro/Peter don't seem to be in the conventional time line either.

I really enjoyed last episode. For a moment, I really thought Bennet was killed of for good. I wonder who brought him back tough (Mohinder with a bad consiousness?) I must say, I love characters like Bob and Bennet this season. They really seem to blur in the area between what is right and wrong. And it seems Parkman and Mohinder are slowely slipping down the slope as well.

I figure it's Bob for one reason or another. They couldn't've shown him taking Claire's blood for no reason.

That being said, it'd be pretty awesome if it turned out to be Adam, though i doubt it.

edit: i can also guarantee that Mohinder still thinks Bennet is dead. No way Bob would want him knowing that he's still alive. Also makes Mohinder more of a company guy if he thinks he killed Bennet.

nurgle_boy
21-11-2007, 17:53
hmm, all sounds good, and ive got ep9 buffering at the moment (so i read the spoilers! i dont like suprises)

i shall add my opinion once my pc has decided it wants to work quicker :rolleyes:

Scythe
22-11-2007, 07:16
I figure it's Bob for one reason or another. They couldn't've shown him taking Claire's blood for no reason.

That being said, it'd be pretty awesome if it turned out to be Adam, though i doubt it.

edit: i can also guarantee that Mohinder still thinks Bennet is dead. No way Bob would want him knowing that he's still alive. Also makes Mohinder more of a company guy if he thinks he killed Bennet.

Well, they needed Claires blood anyway to create a cure for the disease striking down the 'special ones' (and to cure Nicky, but that's not the main reason).

Makes you wonder tough; they imprisoned Adam for 30 years. Didn't they get the idea to take some of his blood in that period?

It would indeed be nice if Adam turned out to be Bennets saviour tough. I can imagine him being usefull for Adam, with his knowledge of the company. It would be rather neat to have Adam try to get more people to his cause.

nurgle_boy
22-11-2007, 22:38
ooh, apart from the predictable near-ending (shooting and all) i really enjoyed it, especially the fact that Noah was kept alive.

Although, thinking about things, if adam is effectivly immortal, as his cells regenerate, surely those who take his blood into theirselves will have said blood constantly coursing around innside them (due to the 'adam' cells regenerating theirselves) and would this gain the regeneration power as well. is there some loophole that prevents this, or have noah and nathan become effectivly immortal.

I think I'd rather have a loophole to be honest... otherwise things just get boring...

Scythe
23-11-2007, 07:29
I am pretty sure there will be a loophole. After all, otherwise everyone would end up immortal. Probably the blood cells cannot regenerate indefinitely in a foreigh host.

der_lex
23-11-2007, 13:17
A possibility could be that Maya's power destroys the cells faster than they regenerate. That way she could purge the cells from people who don't make them themselves, and actually kill Peter/Adam/Claire.

vcassano
23-11-2007, 15:26
A possibility could be that Maya's power destroys the cells faster than they regenerate. That way she could purge the cells from people who don't make them themselves, and actually kill Peter/Adam/Claire.

That's what I was thinking. I think Maya doesn't actually cause any damage that can be regenerated, though I am just speculating of course.

der_lex
27-11-2007, 20:18
**Episode 10 spoilers ahead**

The episode was good, but felt a bit rushed. I guess they needed a setup for the big mid-season episode next week.

High points:

- Sylar being a wonderful manipulative b*stard, and killing Alejandro off to boot (I hope he's dead, at least). I do hope he gets his powers back with Claire's blood, once he gets his hands on Mohinder. I loved the subtle way in which he ran his finger along Maya's scalp as he held her :D

- The Mica/Monica tag team breaking into the house

- Hiro (and, according to the episode summary for Ep 11, Nathan and Parkman) vs. Peter and Adam...whoo boy. Hope this is the fight the season 1 finale should've been.

Low points:

- Mohinder still isn't using his brain...

- Claire: to honor my father's memory and to thwart the company, I will do...the exact opposite of what he always wanted, and go public with my powers *slaps forehead*

- Adam doesn't really come across as someone with a centuries-old master plan yet. That, and it seems to be very easy to incapacitate the guy. I hope his threat level will go up a bit in the second half of the season...

Inquisitor Engel
27-11-2007, 20:48
I hope his threat level will go up a bit in the second half of the season...

If it goes on, It could be a looong time before anything gets done because of the writers' strike. Masi Oka (Hiro) said in an interview on G4 that what they're referring to as "Season 3" (instead of the break last time around) was outlined, but not fleshed out enough to begin filming.

I am so glad we're at least rid of Alejandro, mainly because we'll be rid of Maya soon, both of whom are overdramatic and whiney.

der_lex
27-11-2007, 21:12
If it goes on, It could be a looong time before anything gets done because of the writers' strike. Masi Oka (Hiro) said in an interview on G4 that what they're referring to as "Season 3" (instead of the break last time around) was outlined, but not fleshed out enough to begin filming.

Yeah, the writers' strike, tell me about it... I think they're absolutely right for striking, but since subtitling TV shows is my main source of income, I'll probably be feeling the effects of this as well if it carries on for too long.

I'm all in favor of Sylar eating Maya's brain, though. And then he can acquire the power of flight be eating someone even more annoying... :D

Scythe
29-11-2007, 09:12
Adam doesn't really strike me with having a centuries old master plan. I figure he is more bored as anything else. People around him annoyed him more and more, so he decides to kill them off. You have to keep yourself busy when you are an immortal I guess. ;)

I like the way he is manipulating Peter tough. He turns the companys own weapons against them.

nurgle_boy
29-11-2007, 19:51
I wonder... d'you think that sylar wil be able to kill people and still eat their brains if he uses mayas power on them? it would be an interesting twist if her were to try using it, and then realise he wasted all that effort on a useless goal...

bring on the frustrated killer says I!

der_lex
06-12-2007, 20:59
Well, just saw the season 2 finale. Once again, a mixed bag (spoilers, of course):

Good:

- HRG back with the company (and suspected by most fans to be Nathan's shooter), even though the reason seemed a bit forced.

- West might be out of the picture now.

- Sylar getting his powers back.

- If she's dead (and she probably is, since apparently Ali Larter wanted to leave the show), Niki went out with a bang, finally doing more than whine.

- Micah using his powers in a neat way again

- The Hiro/Peter confrontation

- Peter/Adam carving through the guards

- Elle's little revelation after saving lives for a change

- Ma Petrelli and HRG in general...

The bad:

- It feels like the writers thought 'this season didn't work at all, so let's just hit a great big 'reset' button and pretend it didn't happen'

- Maya being brought back (I really don't see much potential for the character, and the actress is really, really overdramatic and annoying)

- Nathan being shot (surviving his heroic death in season 1 just to be criminally underused in season 2 and then shot? Come on... There also throwing away a great character if they kill him)

- Peter still being out there (I still think he's way too powerful to have as a regular cast member)

- Hardly developing Adam as a villain at all, and then discarding him.

All in all, the season was a bit directionless, with a lot of plotlines feeling half-finished (even before the strike was announced). Hopefully the writers' strike will end up being a good thing, and season 3 will be a little better...

nurgle_boy
06-12-2007, 21:09
I really enjoyed the last episode, although this may well be in comparisson witht the slightly dodgy rest of the season.

I did however think that the way adam was gotten rid of was quite nice. buried alive! how cool!

I am intrigued as to who shot nathan, and whether the rest of the 12 wil be included next season.

very nice to tie things up a little, and i want to see how the other characters, especialy sylar, develop more.

Inquisitor Engel
07-12-2007, 03:24
- It feels like the writers thought 'this season didn't work at all, so let's just hit a great big 'reset' button and pretend it didn't happen'

This wasn't supposed to be the 'end' of Season 2, just the middle-crisis. (The "Save the Cheerleader" portion of this season) rather than the final. I get the impression that Adam wasn't supposed to be put out (hence why Hiro didn't kill him, they can bring him back) to pasture quite yet and do some more bad things while Zachary Quinto took some more time off to get his powers back and film Star Trek.

- Maya being brought back (I really don't see much potential for the character, and the actress is really, really overdramatic and annoying)

She was much, much better once Alejandro was taken out of the picture. Not anything close to as cool as, well, anything, but somewhat tolerable. More tolerable than West.

- Nathan being shot (surviving his heroic death in season 1 just to be criminally underused in season 2 and then shot? Come on... There also throwing away a great character if they kill him)

I dunno, all they need to do is pump him full of Claire's blood because apparently that works for an almost indefinite amount of time. (Or at least a while).

- Peter still being out there (I still think he's way too powerful to have as a regular cast member)

He's out there to FINALLY have a balls-to-the-wall-multi-power-showdown with Sylar.

- Hardly developing Adam as a villain at all, and then discarding him.

I concur, but see my first point - I don't think this was supposed to be the end.

der_lex
07-12-2007, 05:37
This wasn't supposed to be the 'end' of Season 2, just the middle-crisis. (The "Save the Cheerleader" portion of this season) rather than the final. I get the impression that Adam wasn't supposed to be put out (hence why Hiro didn't kill him, they can bring him back) to pasture quite yet and do some more bad things while Zachary Quinto took some more time off to get his powers back and film Star Trek.

Yes, I know it's not a 'real' full season. And the 'Villains' moniker for next season does give them the possibility of bringing him back. Come to think of it, if he becomes a bit more insane after being locked in that coffin for a while, and after that little 'survival of the few, the proud' speech he gave Hiro, he might become the Apocalypse of the Heroes universe...
Glad that the writer's strike will at least give us more Sylar next season, though. He'll be done with Star Trek before the writing starts...

She was much, much better once Alejandro was taken out of the picture. Not anything close to as cool as, well, anything, but somewhat tolerable. More tolerable than West.

I actually mind the actress more than the actual character (although her power seems really limited in story possibilities). Her acting seems like it comes straight out of a Latin American soap opera...overly dramatic and exaggerated, in a way that doesn't match the rest of the show at all, and is quite frankly painful to watch.

I dunno, all they need to do is pump him full of Claire's blood because apparently that works for an almost indefinite amount of time. (Or at least a while).

Or possibly the blood of any other 'healer'. As cheap as it might be, I truly hope they'll go for that approach... I really like Nathan, and think he might've made an excellent leader character.

Speaking of the hit...if the Company did it, it was an extremely sloppy way of handling the situation. Much more effective would have been sending the Haitian (who'll pretty much do what HRG asks of him) to simply scramble Nathan's powers. Just imagine Nathan telling the world 'I can fly', and then being able to do jack squat...instant credibility loss.
Still, I guess this was a clear warning signal to prevent people from ever trying to go public again...although Peter could still put on quite a show.

He's out there to FINALLY have a balls-to-the-wall-multi-power-showdown with Sylar.

I've given up hope on this. As much as I love Heroes, they're not very big on providing truly satisfying action sequences or battles between characters with powers. As much as I like the Peter/Hiro confrontation, it could've been a lot more interesting.

Scythe
07-12-2007, 07:26
A few thoughts on the last episode. I felt it was a bit rushed. Especially the Noah / Claire development seemed a bit out of place. ‘yeah, I am still alive, but don’t do what you want to do, I’m off again’. Meh. It remains to be seen if Nathan is really dead this time (after all, he did turn out alive at the start of season 2). On the other hand, the possibilities for his characters involvements seem to bee slinking. Also, I am quite happy Ellie didn’t die either. She has grown on me this season, hardly the psycho bitch she was portrayed as in the early episodes.

Adam’s end quite surprised me. Quite a cruel solution from Hiro. I hope he gets out somehow, I kind of liked him, manipulating people to do the dirty work for him. He had quite some potential as ‘evil puppet master’. To be honest, I hope Sylar finally gets killed in season 3. It is not that I dislike him, but the number of life-threatening situations he got away from is now getting ridicules. Also, other ‘villains’, who deserved more screen time imo, like Adam and Linderman, were neutralized relatively easy.

Inquisitor Engel
07-12-2007, 13:20
(although her power seems really limited in story possibilities).

Not if she learns to TARGET it. ;)

der_lex
07-12-2007, 14:07
Not if she learns to TARGET it. ;)

No, I had already taken that into consideration. Its use is still limited to killing (or temporarily weakening) people, even if she can target it. Doesn't give much story options, and isn't really heroic. I think Maya could work, but only as a villain...