PDA

View Full Version : Yey, first game played!

Ecclesiastes
09-11-2007, 22:26
After playing high elves several years I finally got my chance to try my long-tweaked (everything is relative) 7th Ed. High elves army... Ow yes, versus lizardmen.

So here's what I figured:
- Shield of Saphery is a magic phase beast. Why? Because your opponent hasn't got a clue of what to do with it... it can easily be cast with 2 dice, and with my 2 lvl 2 mage setup (which is quite common), it could at least be cast 2x in the magic phase... Your opponent thinks it is a waste to spend any scrolls on it, actually doesn't wanna use dispel dice either cuz he is utterly convinced that you got more nasty stuff up your sleave. So after 2 casts, your opponent is either out of dispel dice, or you've got 2 units with a nifty 5+ ward. Now for some dmg spells...:D

- Spearmen still die... Kinda saw this one coming did you? :D Ok, but they die to the usual infantry-breakers (in this case a unit saurus cavalry with oldblood) But the main difference this time was... The Gem of Courage, yey, this itty little thingie won me the match. My spears holded the charge, and after that he got eaten by a chariot and phoenix guard in his flank.

- Units need heroes, yup, with a nice big sword preferably. Use the heroes to cover up the weaknesses of the unit they are in. I stuck a hero with 2H weapon in my phoenix guard, the unit couldn't even dent the scar-veteran who got a accidental overrun into the unit, but my hero reduced him to pulp without him even getting a chance to do some dmg.

- Units need champions, again this fact won me the match (you figured that I've won by now didn't you?) My spearman champion got utterly mauled by the oldblood in a challenge, but those 5 wounds overkill saved me 5 dead spearmen. Which in turn kept my unit strength above his, saving me for an autobreak cuz of fear. As a nice bonus, those 5 spears that the champ got sacrificed for did get to hit in the next turn....man did he regret that challenge :p

To bad I couldn't get my white lions in a serious combat before the end, and my bolt throwers still can't seem to hurt that stupid stegadon. But still, I like the new setting high elves got, eventhough I am forced to paint almost a completely new army. (I used to use cavalry as my main blocks)

Hope it helps some of you guys out there building your own list :)

Arnizipal
09-11-2007, 22:31
Your opponent thinks it is a waste to spend any scrolls on it, actually doesn't wanna use dispel dice either cuz he is utterly convinced that you got more nasty stuff up your sleave.
You do know that you're supposed to tell your opponent what spells you rolled and what their effects are?

Ecclesiastes
09-11-2007, 22:38
You do know that you're supposed to tell your opponent what spells you rolled and what their effects are?

Absolutely, but you dont have to tell them which ones you are going to cast, I also rolled flames of the phoenix and for the other mage fury of khaine... ppl tend to underestimate spells that dont directly hurt them. So they decide to save some dice, and if they dont, they also have to spend 2 dice minimum. so thats 2 power dice for 2 dispell dice, the first usually being more numerous :) (ofcourse, later in the game when a deciding combat is going on or about to take place, you cast in a different order)

Havock
10-11-2007, 10:55
Isn't shield of saphery a remain in play spell?

brambleten
11-11-2007, 10:39
no, it gives a unit a 5+ ward save until the start of the casters next magic phase, so im sure this doesnt count as a remains in play spell

Havock
11-11-2007, 20:26
pretty fun spell.

Meh, Lore of Tzeentch needs more buffing IMO :p

Chris_Tzeentch
12-11-2007, 11:22
Sheesh tell me about it!

I am still very fond of Green Fire though.

I have been working on a high elf army, and I was quite impressed with the White Lions myself. Having not touched elves for a number of years, I was quite surprised at the cost. The army isnt much bigger than my Chaos Cavalry army of Tzeentch.

Braad
13-11-2007, 04:05
ppl tend to underestimate spells that dont directly hurt them.

That is so true! A long time ago (well... not that long) I played Heroes of Might and Magic III, probably some of you know it... And for spells I was always casting things like missiles and rockets, but after a while I found out that it is actually the own-unit-supporting things that work best. Something I will never forget.

WAAAGH

Rodman49
13-11-2007, 10:06
That is so true! A long time ago (well... not that long) I played Heroes of Might and Magic III, probably some of you know it... And for spells I was always casting things like missiles and rockets, but after a while I found out that it is actually the own-unit-supporting things that work best. Something I will never forget.

WAAAGH

Mass-Haste or Mass-Slow FTW. I'm still trying to beat Heroes V now . . .