PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Pts Army of Saphery

TheSanityAssassin
10-11-2007, 04:55
Hey, List I put together to be the Ringer army at a local tourney I'm running. As such, it can slip a bit from the standards of my tourney (IE it's 6 levels of magic), and should show off some nastyness, while still being beatable (which I think it is). Most of all it should have a theme, and I feel like I've captured the idea of a Saphery Expedition fairly well.

Anything you would change? I'm looking for fluffyness + a bit of functionality, though not at all is this intended to be a tourney winning list. Just an interesting one. I want to include the Lion Chariot just because its cool, but I feel like it doesn't fit with the army theme, so I was thinking of changing it to a Tiranoc Chariot and using the points I save to upgrade my Spears to Seaguard, which I also feel will be more fluffy (IE the Seaguard and Bolt Throwers belong to the ship that ferries the mages around, the Chariot is his Herald, the Swordsmasters his bodyguard...the archers...fill a Core requirement :o )
High Elves

The Expedition of Loremaster Bel-Carathryan of Saphery

Lord:

Loremaster Bel-Carathryan
Archmage Level 4, Staff of Solidity, Jewel of the Dusk, Vambraces of Defence 350 pts
On a journey around the known world searching for lost artefacts of the ancient Elven empire.

Heroes:

Denaril, Battle Standard Bearer
Banner of Sorcery, Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor 193
Carries with him the Banner of Sorcery, bringing the light of Saphery to the dark corners of the globe.

Vashan
Mage Lvl. 2
Sacred Incense, Ring of Corin 185
Bel-Carathryan’s apprentice/servant. This junior mage seeks to make a name for himself by discovering ancient secrets.

Core:

20 Spearmen + Command 205

16 Archers + Command 201

Special

15 Swordsmasters + Command 265
+ Gem of Courage

15 Swordsmasters + Command 255

Lion Chariot of Chrace 140

Rare

Bolt Thrower 100
Bolt Thrower 100

Chiungalla
10-11-2007, 06:10
This army list is not legal.
The archmage carries two arcane items, if I'am not wrong (and they changed either the staff or the jewel to enchanted items).

And the BSB has items worth 75 points, but he only can have 50 points (and if they didn't change this in the new armybook too, no other magic items, if he carries a magic standard).

And why do you put the banner of sorcery on a BSB, and don't give it to an unit of swordmasters?
The Talisman of Loec will come handy from time to time on a swordmaster champion, and the amulett of light will be great, too.

Silver Helms or Tiranoc Chariots will do better with the fluff of the army list, then the lion chariot. Maybe also add an eagle or two.

Edit:
If you only take those archers to fill core slots, don't take 16 and a full command.
Never take a standard. Champions are not worth it, and only musicians can do fine in ranged combat units.

Take the points you save in the archers and the lion chariot, there to put in 5 silver helms with champion and musician and an eagle. Maybe you will fit in 5 shadow warriors, too.

TheSanityAssassin
10-11-2007, 06:37
Thanks for the tips. I'm a dedicated 40k player, but not a Fantasy player, so I miss things from time to time. I don't think the BSB's banner counts towards his Magical item alotment though.

patataman
10-11-2007, 16:19
You can´t have a maic baner and a maic item inthe bsb (I think this haven´t change in the book)

UltimateNagash
10-11-2007, 16:34
You can't have a magic banner and item on a BSB...

10-11-2007, 16:47
Hey, List I put together to be the Ringer army at a local tourney I'm running. As such, it can slip a bit from the standards of my tourney (IE it's 6 levels of magic), and should show off some nastyness, while still being beatable (which I think it is). Most of all it should have a theme, and I feel like I've captured the idea of a Saphery Expedition fairly well.

Anything you would change? I'm looking for fluffyness + a bit of functionality, though not at all is this intended to be a tourney winning list. Just an interesting one. I want to include the Lion Chariot just because its cool, but I feel like it doesn't fit with the army theme, so I was thinking of changing it to a Tiranoc Chariot and using the points I save to upgrade my Spears to Seaguard, which I also feel will be more fluffy (IE the Seaguard and Bolt Throwers belong to the ship that ferries the mages around, the Chariot is his Herald, the Swordsmasters his bodyguard...the archers...fill a Core requirement :o )
High Elves

The Expedition of Loremaster Bel-Carathryan of Saphery

Lord:

Loremaster Bel-Carathryan
Archmage Level 4, Staff of Solidity, Jewel of the Dusk, Vambraces of Defence 350 pts
On a journey around the known world searching for lost artefacts of the ancient Elven empire.

Heroes:

Denaril, Battle Standard Bearer
Banner of Sorcery, Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor 193
Carries with him the Banner of Sorcery, bringing the light of Saphery to the dark corners of the globe.

Vashan
Mage Lvl. 2
Sacred Incense, Ring of Corin 185
Bel-Carathryan’s apprentice/servant. This junior mage seeks to make a name for himself by discovering ancient secrets.

Core:

20 Spearmen + Command 205

16 Archers + Command 201

Special

15 Swordsmasters + Command 265
+ Gem of Courage

15 Swordsmasters + Command 255

Lion Chariot of Chrace 140

Rare

Bolt Thrower 100
Bolt Thrower 100

For Vaul's sake, NEVER put a command in a unit of Archers and most times even a musician isn't worth it. And take no more than 10. Diminishing returns.

Take those points, drop the Lion Chariot (I know, it's a superbad model, but not at 2000 pts) and get two Tiranoc Chariots. They can guard the flanks of your SM's which should be on either side of the Spears. One Lion Chariot is a magnet for shooting and magic and just as fragile as the cheaper versions.

Forget Seaguard for now. You have Archers and 2 RBTs (and 4 bows in the chariots) which is enough shooting in a 2000 pt list.

SM's in 7x2 with a spare in the back.

For your Archmage, I would suggest Staff of Solidity (good choice!) + Ring of Fury + Scoll (or Silver Wand). Forget the Vambraces, just keep him a way from combat by hopping from unit to unit as needed. In all my games using an Archmage with only one infantry block, he got killed in combat only a couple of times.

For your Mage, drop the Ring of Corin it's not worth it anymore as a one use item. Sacred Incense + Scroll or Jewel of the Dusk. Obviously this guy goes with SM's to give them that shooting protection.

For your BSB, as said above he cannot take a magic banner AND magic armor. And the Banner of Sorcery can go in the SM's. Consider putting him on a barded steed, with Dragon Armor and a Shield, even if he's with an infantry unit, he'll get a 2+ save, which our fragile Elves need. Also, you could put him in one of the Chariots with the War Banner. It's now US 5, can negate ranks and brings +2 CR (+1 BSB, +1 Warbanner) to the fight. Or, if you can scrounge the points, slap the Battle Banner on him and put him in that one unit of Spears, which will make them much more of a threat. That way your opponent will be facing 3 tough infantry units. But that's a lot on top of the Banner of Sorcery.

TheSanityAssassin
10-11-2007, 16:54
Sorry. As I said, I'm a 40k player, and my knowledge of the fantasy book is a bit old. I'll fix it up.

10-11-2007, 18:04
Sorry. As I said, I'm a 40k player, and my knowledge of the fantasy book is a bit old. I'll fix it up.

No apologies! That's what we're here for. You're off to a good start.

Zensunni
10-11-2007, 18:43
"I would suggest Staff of Solidity (good choice!) + Ring of Fury + Scoll (or Silver Wand)."

Only problem with this is that you cannot take the Silver wand and the Staff of Solidity because they are both arcane items. The ROF is good and a dispell scroll is also good. Tough choice on how to kit out the archmage. Been thinking about this myself. Staff or silver wand? 4 spells or 5 spells nearly promising you get the spells you want. ;) The staff is good because it can protect against a magic bomb going off in your mages head. :eek:

Any suggestions from others out there on how to kit out the archmage???

TheSanityAssassin
11-11-2007, 04:04
My feeling is to keep the staff (I'll update the list in a minute...fighting HellWyrm in FF12), as with banner of sorcery, he'll have ALOT of dice to hurl around, and with 4 spells+drain magic I'm still content that he'll have enough to cast to be useful.

I like Avatar's suggestions about putting the BSB in the Chariot. I know it could be dangerous as it would make him easier to lose if it gets hit by a cannon or somesuch, but despite my lack of knowledge of the game, I'm an accomplished 40k player, so I don't doubt my ability to keep it safe on the board, and making the flank charges will be quite handy.

I'll give you guys a heads up on the models I have other than what's up here (just starting out the army with some new stuff, plus a few remnants)
I also have 15 phoneix guard, the dragon kit, both hero/mage kits, another bolt thrower, and about 10 Silver Helms...also 12 shadow warriors, and Caradryan.

11-11-2007, 08:05
Only problem with this is that you cannot take the Silver wand and the Staff of Solidity because they are both arcane items.

Indeed, my bad. I'm still getting used to the new changes.

brambleten
11-11-2007, 11:18
for a solid core try some phoenix guard.