PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Army Composition Question

Glimfeather
10-11-2007, 06:27
I am going to try fielding an army with Dwarf Rangers as something new. I want to make sure that my army list is legal and am getting a little confused working out the relationship of Longbeards/Warriors/Rangers.

Here is the question:

Is the following unit composition "legal":

1 unit Warriors
1 unit Longbeards
1 unit Rangers

I thought I had read that you had to have a 1 to 1 relationship of Warriors to Longbeards, however I can't find that and all I see is "You cannot have more units of Longbeards than Warriors." The rules for Rangers indicate that you can upgrade 1 unit of Warriors or Longbeards to Rangers, but no where do I see how this rule relates to the Warriors/Longbeards ratio.

Also, if this list is not legal, would the Dwarf Lord "extra longbeard" rule have any impact on this?

Regards,

Chris

BattleofLund
10-11-2007, 07:04
Are your Rangers Longbeards or clansmen? Seems to me, that the intent of the rule is to make Longbeards 'not the mostest' (units). Thus, your Rangers would have to be clansmen if 'Ranger equals Longbeard/Warrior upgrade' is true.

WLBjork
10-11-2007, 07:05
The FAQ states that Rangers aren't Warriors, so by the same token neither are they Longbeards.

Thus, it is legal to take the group you indicate.

To minimise argument, I suggest you take the units in the following order:

Warriors
Rangers
Longbeards

(basically so that you don't have more Longbeards than Warriors at any point when writing your list).

T10
10-11-2007, 11:47
This has been debated some time ago.

http://warseer.com/forums/fantasy-rules/55129-longbeard-allowage.html

As far as I can tell, you are restricted from having (not upgrading: having) more units of Longbeards than you have units of Warriors, so the question, really, is wether the unit still counts as a unit of Longbeards.

They do not, otherwise the whole restriction is meaningless: If upgrading a unit means that it still counts as the type of unit it is upgraded from, then all Longbeards still count as Warriors. The implications of this should be obvious.

That being said, I'd advise against exploiting this obvious loop-hole as your friends may find it offensive rather than clever.

-T10

Glimfeather
12-11-2007, 13:31
Thanks for the help, guys. I went back to the FAQ and it looks like my original thought was correct.