PDA

View Full Version : Tyranid Codex Question

Brunificus
14-04-2005, 03:09
Will Old One Eye and The Red Terror be in the new Nid codex. I know a lot of people don't like them but I do and am hoping to see their reappearance.
*Dons flame retardant suit*

Tried Searchy for this as well, but try typing old one eye and see what happens.

Strikerkc
14-04-2005, 03:22
All information points to them no longer being in the codex. Assume they have been reabsorbed by the hive fleet and used to enhance future generations of bugs (like how all carnifexes can purchas a form of regeneration).

Brunificus
14-04-2005, 03:29
Thanks Strikerkc,
I didn't think they would be making a comeback, it's a pity but thems the breaks with evolution I suppose.

Brimstone
14-04-2005, 05:01
All information points to them no longer being in the codex. Assume they have been reabsorbed by the hive fleet and used to enhance future generations of bugs (like how all carnifexes can purchas a form of regeneration).

Correct and deepstrike for the latest generation of Raveners.

Lion El Jason
14-04-2005, 09:02
Correct and deepstrike for the latest generation of Raveners.

OOh! I hadn't seen this actually, if the "Torso mounted" weapon thing is true raveners will be quite cool...

Boduddley
14-04-2005, 09:07
Will Old One Eye and The Red Terror be in the new Nid codex. I know a lot of people don't like them but I do and am hoping to see their reappearance.
*Dons flame retardant suit*

Tried Searchy for this as well, but try typing old one eye and see what happens.

:)

I have the Red Terror. A great model which I also use.

:cool:

Are there no new characters in the new codex? Will every codex loose their characters also?

:confused:

The destruction of the Tyranids goes on... not by other players but by GW!

:mad:

Alpharius
14-04-2005, 13:31
Wha...???

"Special Characters" were a bit out of place for Tyranids to begin with.

As for other any other Codex that GW comes out with, I can guarantee you it will contain Special Characters.

In fact, check the newest one, the Space Marine Codex! It has, what? 4 or 5 special characters in it!

KhornateLord
14-04-2005, 14:49
Tyranid special characters always have been kind of weird. Although its nice having an 'ulti' carnifex etc in an army, they got really samey at tournaments (like 1500pts where you could take both).

Brimstone
14-04-2005, 16:04
OOh! I hadn't seen this actually, if the "Torso mounted" weapon thing is true raveners will be quite cool...

It's true, I can confirm that. :)

Imus
14-04-2005, 17:01
can i ask how you can confirm that?

Brimstone
14-04-2005, 17:19
can i ask how you can confirm that?

Because I've read the new codex, it's either that or the little leprechaun sitting next to me but he mainly tells me to burn things. ;)

Black Ambience
14-04-2005, 20:57
Tell me Brimstone, do you happen to have a cat named Mittens?

On a more topical note, has anything happened with the "Swallow Whole" ability? An option for another model? Or has it gone to that big Reclamation Pool in the sky?

Boduddley
14-04-2005, 23:34
Brinstone, can you confirm whether Tyranids will get any special characters in the new codex]?
:eek:
Will only other armies be given special characters?

:(

Black Ambience
15-04-2005, 16:24
Tyranid "special characters" don't really work though do they? More along the lines of Tyranid "rare creatures". There have been no reports of new sculpts for anything like a unique Tyranid, so I wouldn't bet on new ones.

Scythe
15-04-2005, 17:23
I think the 'swallow whole' rule has gone. It was a nice idea, but in practice it didn't work at all. Versus practically everything were you wanted to give up your 4+ hits to swallow the model, you couldn't use the ability cause the model had S (for which weapon upgrades like powerfists counted) or T5.

The Judge
15-04-2005, 17:32
What are these torso-mounted models? Don't they have them already?

Brimstone
15-04-2005, 21:00
On a more topical note, has anything happened with the "Swallow Whole" ability? An option for another model? Or has it gone to that big Reclamation Pool in the sky?

Gone I'm afraid, the hive mind kept the burrowing ability but didn't like disposing of the mess that half digested marines made when the Red Terror crapped them out.

No special characters in the codex as far as I know.

A Raverner can choose one Deathspitter, Spinefist or my favourite the Devourer as a thorax mounted weapon in addition to its two close combat bio-weapons.

Black Ambience
15-04-2005, 23:13
Now when you say thorax mounted, do you mean it is actually built into the body of the creature, or it is melded into the tertiary arms?

Cheitan Shadowless
16-04-2005, 22:40
A Raverner can choose one Deathspitter, Spinefist or my favourite the Devourer as a thorax mounted weapon in addition to its two close combat bio-weapons.Nice! So Raveners effectively get to have three bio-weapons?! :eek:

boogle
16-04-2005, 22:55
it would seem so wouldn't it!!!

Brimstone
16-04-2005, 23:07
Now when you say thorax mounted, do you mean it is actually built into the body of the creature, or it is melded into the tertiary arms?

Well I've yet to see a new Ravener with a weapon but I'd say it was built into the body of the creature but we'll just have to wait and see.

Nice! So Raveners effectively get to have three bio-weapons?!

Correct, you get a choice of 2xscytals or scytals and rending claws plus the aforementioned weapons.

Nazguire
17-04-2005, 02:57
Well I've yet to see a new Ravener with a weapon but I'd say it was built into the body of the creature but we'll just have to wait and see.

Correct, you get a choice of 2xscytals or scytals and rending claws plus the aforementioned weapons.

It seems as if the Ravener is turning into a decent fast attack choice, as it should be. Does the Ravener still move and assault 9"? or has that been dropped in favour of the Deep Strike ability?

Brimstone
17-04-2005, 06:46
It seems as if the Ravener is turning into a decent fast attack choice, as it should be. Does the Ravener still move and assault 9"? or has that been dropped in favour of the Deep Strike ability?

They don't move and asssault 9" anymore. They are now classified as beasts so they move 6" and FoC then assault 12" in addition to the deep striking.

Scythe
17-04-2005, 09:32
Can they always deep strike or just when the mission allows it? On simular subject, are gargoyles (or anything with wings) still able to deep strike?

Brimstone
17-04-2005, 10:05
When the mission allows deepstrike Raveners are allowed to.

Gargoyles can always deepstrike.

Wings count as jump infantry so no deepstike (except gargs).

Black Ambience
17-04-2005, 11:47
So they have in fact made Raveners a little bit faster than they already were... Interesting! We should see a lot more of them now (Hive Mind willing). Anyone know how much they are going to cost (cash terms)?

boogle
17-04-2005, 12:00
i would say 7-9 (most likely 8)

Brimstone
17-04-2005, 12:02
well the US price is $15 (for one I think) which should be around 7-9 in the UK.

Boduddley
17-04-2005, 12:16
When the mission allows deepstrike Raveners are allowed to.

Gargoyles can always deepstrike.

Wings count as jump infantry so no deepstike (except gargs).

I always wanted to get some Raveners. Now I will definitely be getting some! They can replace my Old One Red Eye.
:)
:(

The 12" attack range will either give them some respect or attrack a lot of fire power. Either way I come out on top.
:cool:

Brimstone
17-04-2005, 12:29
Well their statline hasn't changed so they are still pretty fragile, so your best bet is going to get them into combat ASAP.

I also want to try single Raveners to harrrass the enemy but that uses up too many FA slots and I cannot afford to loose my winged warriors.

Scythe
17-04-2005, 13:58
Do they have access to biomorphs like toxin sacs and adrenal glands now? That would help them out big time.

I've used units of single warriors before with various effect under the 3rd edition rules. If lucky, they can be really devastating taking out squads (I remember great feats like whiping out a small marine biker squad or assault squad). However it usually only takes one volley to get rid of them. Point is tough, that multiple raveners in a single squad are still easy whipe out. In the end, I figured I needed those FA slots for more effective and reliable gargoyles, and, when I converted them, winged tyranid warriors. The tyranid warriors with wings are currently superior to raveners in all aspects. They have a better overall movement, synapse, S5, and a very important 4+ save (it would be nice if raveners can upgrade to 4+ save now; would make squads more survivable) for the same pts as a ravener with rending claws / talons. The raveners advantage was the extra attack, movement trough cover, and a minimum unit size of 1, but in the end it didn't weight against the warriors advantages.

Brimstone
17-04-2005, 19:42
Do they have access to biomorphs like toxin sacs and adrenal glands now? That would help them out big time.

Nope no biomorph upgrades at all for Raveners.

I'm still undecided between winged warriors and Raveners for my FA choices, I'm going to try both and see what I prefer using.

boogle
17-04-2005, 19:54
well it ain't like you'll be using Gargs so 1 each from Spore Mines, Flying Warriors and Raveners should suffice in most games

Scythe
18-04-2005, 18:18
Nope no biomorph upgrades at all for Raveners.

That's a shame. Biomorph upgrades had some potential on Raveners.

well it ain't like you'll be using Gargs so 1 each from Spore Mines, Flying Warriors and Raveners should suffice in most games

Depends on how expensive Gargoyles will get pts wise. Currently, they are great, but if they get in the 15 pts range (about the points you pay when making a Gargoyle from the create your own hive fleet tables in the back of the current codex), they would cease to be effective.
Anyway, if you want to have Raveners in units of 1, you need some extra FA slots.

boogle
18-04-2005, 18:41
i think that Bioplasma has changed so you don't double your iniative anymore, so they may not be worth taking now

Scythe
18-04-2005, 18:44
But then the fleshborer got more effective and they don't get killed for flying into a forest. We'll just have to wait I guess.

Brimstone
18-04-2005, 19:01
i think that Bioplasma has changed so you don't double your iniative anymore, so they may not be worth taking now

Bioplasma remains the same.

Gargoyles are more expensive now but not to the levels speculated upon.

Scythe
18-04-2005, 19:39
He, how creative can we be avoiding real pts values... :D

Maybe we should state it this way in the future; model X is worth a space marine minus a krak gernade in pts.... ;)