PDA

View Full Version : How many High Elf chariots can you have?

Count Sinister
10-11-2007, 16:39
I've just been reading the new High Elf book, and I noticed that in the listings for characters, it gives a chariot as a mount option. Does this mean that you can put all your characters in chariots (both mages and fighting characters), as well as buying as many chariots as the new expanded special units slots allow? If so, I'm calculating that in a 2,000 point army you could have ten chariots - four as hero and lord mounts, and six as special choices. Is this the way that other people have read it? If so, I think I know what my next High Elf army is going to be!

Feedback on this would really be appreciated - it just seems like such a cool army, particularly so because the background info on chariots talks about 'Wind Hosts', or something similar, which are basically very chariot-heavy armies.

theunwantedbeing
10-11-2007, 16:50
Asssuming characters buy cahriots as a mount as equiptment I;de assume 10 in a 2k list max.
6 otherwise.

Count Sinister
10-11-2007, 16:58
That was my interpretation theunwantedbeing. If they're listed as equipment, then they don't take up a special slot. Ten chariots!

Lord of Skulls
10-11-2007, 18:09
I can't see how this is remarkable... You can easily fit 15 chariots into a 2000 pts Chaos army:p Are the new HE chariots that good?

theunwantedbeing
10-11-2007, 18:19
Well the lion chariots are.....they make the chaos chariots look a bit well...wimpy.

Griefbringer
10-11-2007, 18:44
Indeed, the stat lines for the lion chariot in WD looked quite nasty.

Plus the lions come with braided beards! :cool:

Chaos Undecided
10-11-2007, 19:47
Yep any normal lord or hero level character can take a Tiranoc Chariot as a mount replacing one of the crew in addition to any chariots you may want to take as special choices. Korhil's the only character that can buy a lion chariot as a mount however. Conversely you can take Eltharion without his Griffon should you wish to, guess you'd have to convert up a model for that seeing as he isnt blinded in this incarnation.

Chaos Undecided
10-11-2007, 20:46
Whilst on the subject of character mounts it would seem Malhandir is no longer a monstrous mount and therefore I assume Tyrion is now treated as a normal cavalry model albeit with a much stronger than normal horse? So no more ending up having to foot slog it across the battlefield :p

UltimateNagash
10-11-2007, 22:57
It's US2, so no, can't be randomised :)

Count Sinister
12-11-2007, 02:02
Excellent. Well, Lord of Skulls, the problem is that I don't play Chaos, but I have played HE and am interested in getting a new army of them together. To me, 10 chariots in a HE army is a lot. Use spearmen to hold your flanks, run a few chariots (lion chariots, maybe) down the middle, and on the outside flanks, run all the rest of your chariots.
Another question, on the same topic, in a way. If the battle standard bearer can be mounted in a chariot (which seems to be the case), and he takes the Banner of Ellyrion, does this mean that his chariot can move through difficult ground without destroying itself? If so, that could be nice tactically...
I'm tempted by this army, I have to say. I'll work out a 2,000 point list later to see what I can get into it.
And Chaos Undecided (cool name, by the way!), the Eltharion idea is nice. You could still have a special character in a chariot that way, if you didn't want to take Korhil. Cool.

Count Sinister
12-11-2007, 12:27
Sorry for double-posting, but the ten chariot HE army really has me hooked. So, another related question. Judging from the recent discussion of the new army book in WD, and the High Elf battle report, it seems that the white lions in a chariot get the strength bonus for their great axes as if they are models on foot (+2 Strength), and not mounted (only +1 Strength). My question is this: are high elf characters in chariots considered to be 'on foot' for the purposes of great weapons and also for the purposes of choosing magic items. Certain items (for example, armour) can only be given to a 'single model on foot'. Where do characters in chariots stand in this regard?

Atrahasis
12-11-2007, 12:32
No, the WD article is just (oh-so-typically) wrong.

Count Sinister
12-11-2007, 12:34
Really? So does that mean that a character in a chariot counts as being mounted? Does it also mean that the designer's notes are wrong too?

Tutore
12-11-2007, 12:34
Interesting thing: in the same WD there is another article where it is correctly said: S5.

Count Sinister
12-11-2007, 12:39
Ok, Tutore. That's the article I'm thinking of, but I remember it incorrectly. So, to clarify. Chariots count as mounts, so only +1 Strength for Great Weapons, and can't use magic items/armour/etc designated for single models on foot only. But what about the Banner of Ellyrrion? Does that make the chariot 'immune' to difficult terrain, if the battle standard bearer is carrying it and he's in a chariot?

Atrahasis
12-11-2007, 12:44
It did in 6th, so unless the wording has changed then it will continue to do so.

Tutore
12-11-2007, 12:51
The wording is the same. I guess there will always be that possibility. However, you can't mount the BSB on a lion chariot.