PDA

View Full Version : FAQ Please

kamedake88
10-11-2007, 18:12
Does anyone else think some of these threads need a FAQ. I mean seriously its painful coming to this forum anymore. As I browse all I read is the... How many people in the Imperium. What is the emperor. Who should I play ( I have even posted this). Who were this missing Primarchs, every other day. Seriously. I dont mean to knock any body and if you really don't know all the more reason to do something like this. I vote on a compendium or at least a sticky of Links to Lexicanium and Wikipedia.

Some guy (UK)
10-11-2007, 18:32
This should really be in the 'Future of Warseer' section at the bottom of the forum listings.

As to what you have said, I'd agree, but even FAQ's don't stop people doing the same thing. Look at the 40k rumours section for instance- an FAQ that says 'do not post rumour questions here', yet they still happen. People just seem to avoid them entirely, or fail at using the search function.

Actually, I'm sure there was a background FAQ/ general questions thread, but it dissapeared I think.

Inquisitor S.
10-11-2007, 18:53
As to what you have said, I'd agree, but even FAQ's don't stop people doing the same thing.

Right, the same topics will come up, but they can mercilessly be crushed, uhm, closed/ deleted by the moderators because of the posters being to stupid to look up the FAQ :)

Kage2020
10-11-2007, 19:05
No one ever reads the FAQ anyway. The same threads have always been posted over and over again. It is the way of 40k-fu. Portent, Warseer, BL/GW forums, etc. Heck, it's amazing when something truly original does come up. :D

Kage

DantesInferno
10-11-2007, 22:04
Still, it might be a useful resource to have, if only to be able to direct people to/cut and paste from.

Alternatively, we could resurrect the "Ask the Commissar" thread (or even rename it so it's more self-explanatory: "Minor Questions Thread", for instance).

bertcom1
10-11-2007, 23:12
A problem relating to having a FaQ is this.

How many of the "frequently asked questions" relating to the 40k background can be answered using phrases such as "It depends", "The galaxy is a large place", or similar accommodating sentiments?

Also, there is the whole "Everything you have been told is a Lie", and contradictory pieces of background, plus the occasional piece that manages to be self-contradictory, plus such things as whether or not old background is still valid.

This means that the amount of "facts" in the 40k background is so minimal as to make a FaQ, that contains useful information beyond the most basic statements, impossible.

e.g. relating to Space Marines.
Facts:
They are modified humans that wear powered combat suits. That's about it in terms of things that everyone can agree on.
Things that "Depend"
Their abilities, tactics, how old recruits have to be, where they recruit from, whether the 1000 marines are the entirety of a chapter not just the infantry, and so on.

A FaQ that contains facts would be so basic as to be useless, while a FaQ that contains more would be the groupthink (or worse, one individuals) interpretation of the contradictory background. Interpretations are not facts, and can and should be argued against.

So while you may think it tedious that the same questions keep on turning up, there isn't much that could or should be done.

Every time a question is asked, it is an opportunity to encourage people to think for themselves, to learn to interpret things for themselves, to use their imaginations, and the use of imagination might stimulate someone to come up with something original.

DantesInferno
10-11-2007, 23:37
A FAQ shouldn't necessarily restrict the interpretations available, and it needn't merely contain "facts".

For instance, in our recent "Commander Farsight" thread, the 5 or 6 most common theories were produced from the start, their benefits and disbenefits discussed and analysed. If a FAQ were to include Farsight, that's the sort of thing it could have: mention the most plausible and commonly held views. I don't think it would lead to some sort of groupthink on the matter, or limit people's imaginations.

Kage2020
10-11-2007, 23:56
At this point it becomes an issue of whether we need four hundred FAQs on the various forums, or whether it would be useful to support a common effort? It's difficult to be able to balance the supposed "canon" with interpretation, which ultimately the fans are just as interested in. (I saw the 40kOnline version and it became... glitchy -- lots of value judgements about what was relevant and what was not. Not that this was a bad thing, but it is something to contrast against the ultimate goal...)

Kage

Noserenda
11-11-2007, 03:14
Whilst getting a consensus on some things might be next to impossible, why not some links to previous threads with common questions? Then they can at least see a discussion, ofc this will doubtless lead to rampant thread necromancy :rolleyes:

TheBigBadWolf
11-11-2007, 17:07
There should be a massive bit at the top of the forums that says google your insanley stupid question first. If the mods can find a question that could be answered from the most simple of tasks then it should be removed and the poster be whipped naked through the town square for not using the most holy of resources google

IJW
11-11-2007, 18:25
The only line needed for a large number of FAQ stickies is:

"Use the search function before starting a new thread."

Inquisitor S.
11-11-2007, 18:28
There should be a massive bit at the top of the forums that says google your insanley stupid question first.

Won't work, 99,9% of the repeat offenders (at least that's the term according to my dictionary) aren't able to spell what they are actually looking for.

Khaine's Messenger
12-11-2007, 02:39

Yeah, but the search function apparently can't find >this (http://warseer.com/forums/40k-background/8688-background-faq-discussion.html)< thread, even if you search for "FAQ." *shrug* I can only find it because it's the only thread I've actually started. ;)

And yeah, I think at this point a FAQ would be kind of pointless. What we need more than anything else is to cultivate an accepting atmosphere where our first impulse is not "RTFM, newb"...and I know that I'm a repeat offender when it comes to that.... Ask the Commissar (http://warseer.com/forums/40k-background/6493-ask-the-commissar.html) was nice in that respect.

EDIT: A "best of" thread with important links would probably be better than a FAQ, really.

Inquisitor S.
12-11-2007, 08:14
Yeah, but the search function apparently can't find >this< thread, even if you search for "FAQ." *shrug* I can only find it because it's the only thread I've actually started.

Which would not be necessary if the FAQ were made a "sticky" thread.

LexxBomb
12-11-2007, 08:24
The biggest problem I can see is that it could be thought of as a fluff bible and we all remember what happened the last time that thing was published online.

also alot of it happens after GW realeases another text and we all instantly start arguing points of view. I know Im an offender there.