PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's 1,000 pt Skaven (for casual play)

Rhamag
11-11-2007, 01:27
Hi folks,

Brand new to Skaven, but I've played Tomb Kings badly for a few years, and Orks and Marines with moderate sucess for a while also.

This is basically the contents of the battalion box with the two heroes added. I like the monks a lot, and may theme my 2000 pts towards Pestilens.

There's not a lot of flexibility on the models (as I don't have any more except maybe some rat swarms from the sprue bitz) but any comments are welcome, especially regarding the magic items/banners.

Cheers!

PS. I know it comes to 1006 pts. That's another thing for me to think about...

Plague Priest - Plague Censer, "Bands of Power", "Warpstone Amulet" (136)

Warlock Engineer - Warp Pistol/Blades/Condenser/Accumulator, "Storm Daemon" (120)

20 Clan Rats - Spears, Full Command (145)

20 Clan Rats - Full Command (125)

6 Giant Rats & Packmaster (30)

2 Rat Swarms - Plague (130)

20 Plague Monks - 2nd H/Wpn, Full Command, "Umbranner" (220)

2 Rat Ogres & Packmasters (100)

Wreckage
11-11-2007, 01:44
Drop the giant rats unit. A unit of 7 is just begging to be blasted first turn to cause mucho panicko. Just dont use them until you have more.

Drop spears off of the rats unless they're already built. Also, get them up to 25+ ASAP--you need to keep your rank bonus with skaven.

The Plague Monks with Banner of Burning Hatred is really really fun, deploy them 7 wide and slap your hero in there for maximum carnage. 7 wide plaguemonks equals 22 attacks with re-rolls to hit if they have the banner of hate!

Whichever upgrade is the one that gives your engineer an extra dice is worthless, since he can only cast on three anyhow. (I forgot what the name is)

It looks like a solid, fun list.

Gorthor21
11-11-2007, 02:12
id say dump the umbanner, and go for more rats in the two mainstay units
those rank bonuses could really come in handy when addin the points to ur leadership
ur gonna have to play around withe the giant rats as maybe a sheild for the plague monks, frenzy is their best weapon and their greatest weakness
if the engineer is for magic defense, which he should prolly be, id say drop all effort to make him offensive in anyway, since hes not going to beast the magic phase that much
as said drop the spears and focus on making ur clanrat units bigger, work with ur monks so they dont get pulled into some kind of trap and get bogged down and overwhelmed, especially if ur gonna put the priest in the unit
as a whole is pretty solid and should do battle pretty well against most 1000 point armies.

Rhamag
11-11-2007, 02:12
Thanks for the quick reply, Wreckage.

I see what you mean re: giant rats. I'd rather have proper Skaven, so I'll use the (fairly un-Giant IMHO) plastic models to make more plague rat swarms with.

I also dropped the Engineer's Accumulator as you suggested. I can't believe I didn't notice that when I wrote the list! Comes from playing TK, I think, and not having to think about power dice in the same way as everyone else and being able to cast the same spell multiple times.

The spears have already been built, I'm afraid. I just liked the way they looked! Any more units will have swords. I'll boost them up to 25 (in bigger lists) then leave it there I think.

This now gives me 39 pts to spend. Lacking more Clan Rat models (at least for a few weeks), and not having enough points for another base of plague rats, I've gone for "Death Globes" for the Engineer. As he already has a pistol, maybe this is pointless but I guess it gives him a choice of weapon depending on the target.

EDIT: Thanks also, Gorthor21. I'll write a proper reply soon...

EDIT 2: Regarding the Umbranner, I thought a 4+ Ward vs most shooting & magic missiles for a combat unit with no armour was pretty cheap at 30 pts. I don't have any more models at the moment, so I'll have to make a list without the extra clan rats.

I know the Engineer is not the best wizard in an average 1000 pt list, but the 2D6 Warp Lightning at PL 3 and also D6 version at Bound 4, helps the Priest use his Bound 4 Bands of Power for the lovely S10 attacks in the first round of combat when my opponent has used dispel scrolls up.

Taking your comments regarding the spears and the clan rat unit sizes, I've played around and come
up with this:

Warlock Engineer - Warp Pistol/Blades/Condenser, "Storm Daemon" (105)

30 Clan Rats - Full Command (175)

4 Rat Swarms - Plague (260)

20 Plague Monks - 2nd H/Wpn, Full Command, "Umbranner" (220)

I plan to use the plague rats to screen the monks, as they can see over the swarm, but not charge through them. This will hopefully stop them wandering off chasing shadows. When I get to where I want to be, the swarm will charge sideways to a different target to allow the monks to charge their intended unit. The Engineer joins the clan rats and tries to Warp Lightning any suitable target before charging. The rat ogres go inbetween to get a flank charge to assist whichever needs it most.

Wreckage
11-11-2007, 02:51
Death globes are good fun. Keep the pistol because you can use it in CC as an additional weapon, getting you 2 attacks...

Don't listen to gorthor re:magic. 3 power dice + 2 bound is pretty dang good for 1000pts.

Try the banner of hatred on the monks, you wont be disappointed.

Rhamag
11-11-2007, 03:49
Thanks again Wreckage. Here's Version 3...

Warlock Engineer - Warp Pistol/Blades/Condenser, "Death Globes", "Storm Daemon" (125)

30 Clan Rats - Full Command (175)

3 Rat Swarms - Plague (195)

26 Plague Monks - 2nd H/Wpn, Full Command, "Umbranner" OR "Burning Hatred" (268)

(999 pts)

Dropped a swarm base to pay for the Death Globes. Decided I can proxy some giant rats as plague monks for a little while so I added 6 more monks. Depending on my opponent, I'll switch between banners. Sneaky for casual play? Maybe, but they are Skaven, after all!

Wreckage
11-11-2007, 13:24
I liked it better when you had two clanrat units, but try it out and see

heinrichvoncarstein
11-11-2007, 13:57
i would have a unit of 20 clanrats and 20 slaves and 2 rat swarms and for those points you can now get a unit of plague censcer bearers. also, keep the umbranner since the plague monks have no armour saves, against a army with some shooting power like the empire or high elves they will get shot down pretty fast

UltimateNagash
11-11-2007, 14:10
Personally, I don't feel you need full command on everything, except on things defending your general/BSB/wizards...
So, by dropping the Champion on the Clanrats, you should just have enough points to have 20 Slaves and 20 Clanrats with Musicians... Probably don't banners on them either - use them to screen your Monks and to control them (so they don't charge some random unit)... With Frenzy, it's fine for them to be behind the other rats.
Maybe to be really sneaky, have two Plague Monk units of 20 (if you have the models obviously...), each one with a different banner... and Musicians and Standard Bearers (obviously ;))

Rhamag
15-11-2007, 05:32
Thanks for the comments, Wreckage, heinrichvoncarstein and UltimateNagash. I've decided to get another box of clan rats, and was too weak-willed in GW the other day to avoid buying a warp lightning cannon... I've taken on board your comments, and come up with something like this:

Plague Priest - Flail, "Bands of Power", "Warpstone Amulet" (124)

Warlock Engineer - Warp Pistol/Blades/Condenser, "Death Globes", "Storm Daemon" (125)

25 Clan Rats - Full Command (140) it's an aesthetics thing, sorry!

25 Clan Rats - Full Command (140)

2 Rat Swarms - Plague (130)

20 Plague Monks - 2nd H/Wpn, Full Command, "Umbranner" OR "Burning Hatred" (220)

1 Warp Lightning Cannon (100)

(999 pts)

I plan to use the plague rats to screen the monks, and the clan rats on either side, so (while the monks are still frenzied) if one breaks the other will be too far away to need to make a Ld check. The cannon will advance behind for a turn or two then rip rip between the units into the enemy.

heinrichvoncarstein
15-11-2007, 15:08
rats can't screen as tey are small you can shoot the targets behind them

UltimateNagash
15-11-2007, 18:40
Since I don't have the book on me, I'm not sure on the exact points cost, but I think this would work:

Plague Priest - Flail, "Bands of Power", "Warpstone Amulet"
Warlock Engineer - Warp Pistol/Blades/Condenser, "Death Globes", "Storm Daemon"
20 Clanrats - Musician, Standard Bearer
20 Clanrats - Musician, Standard Bearer
20 Plague Monks - 2nd H/Wpn, Musician, Standard Bearer, "Umbranner"
20 Plague Monks - 2nd H/Wpn, Musician, Standard Bearer, "Burning Hatred"
Warp Lightning Cannon

Little Aaad
15-11-2007, 21:21
Quit Skaven and start DE?

UltimateNagash
15-11-2007, 21:53
Not sure what that's meant to help with :rolleyes:

And I missed off the Cannon, oops... :angel:

Meriwether
15-11-2007, 23:23
Quit Skaven and start DE?

Buy the ~3000 points of skaven I've been wanting to sell for six years and have never gotten around to? $200 American, plus shipping, and they're yours...