PDA

View Full Version : The silly season

RavenMorpheus
11-11-2007, 02:10
Ok so Xmas is nearly upon us.

Now I don't know what it's like where you live but here in Braintree, Essex, UK it's the silly season.

By silly season I mean this - every bl**dy idiot comes out to do their shopping. You see people in the town you NEVER see the rest of the year, and it's because they're doing the xmas shoppping...

...little kids screaming cos mummy won't buy them what they want, dopey senile old people wandering around like they AND everyone else has all the time in the world - or just non-senile non-old people doing that, I could go on but you get the pictuure...

Anyway at the moment as it's only November 11th it's not too bad but I can guarantee that in 2 weeks or so it'll get worse.

So point to this thread - why do people leave the shopping so late and why does the world (my home town anyway) go completely stupid around xmas?

Is it like that where you live or do people actually act rationally and calmly?

Be interesting to know what other people's take is on this :)

I asked Santa for Peace on Earth and goodwill to all men last year, think he misunderstood me cos he delivered a PSP instead :D

der_lex
11-11-2007, 02:44
I think you got the better end of the deal with that Christmas gift, then ;)

I live in the centre of Antwerp, which is the biggest city in Flanders and the second biggest city in Belgium. When Christmas shopping season begins, it becomes absolutely impossible to get any shopping whatsoever done on a Saturday, since the streets are literally packed with people. That and there's the same old Christmas songs blaring out of every shop over and over again, which is enough to drive anyone mad.

Still, there's some good sides to Christmas here as well. There's a cozy little Christmas market set up on the main square, where they sell things like hot Glühwein (yum). In front of city hall, the city sets up a free ice skating rink each year, and there's all kinds of Christmas concerts as well.

All in all, it's a bit of a mixed bag. On one hand, the crowds can be maddening, but on the other, there's a generally cozy atmosphere all over that you can't help but like, which culminates in pretty much the whole city coming together to watch the annual new year's fireworks display at the city docks, and celebrate.

Best way to deal with it is to be smarter than the rest and get your Christmas shopping done early...and then only going out when you feel like being around people, or when you need groceries. That usually works for me! :)

Nephilim of Sin
11-11-2007, 08:12
Well, in the states Christmas sales start before Halloween. I think it is sad, really. I see Christmas decorations beside pumpkins. Then of course there is Black Friday, when everyone decides to go shopping to get their special deals. It is sad, in this nation, where we go christmas shopping two months before the holiday, then wait until April for an income tax return to get us out of debt.

sigur
11-11-2007, 16:21
Well, it's not as terrible here in Austria but there's a certain trend. I mean, Halloeween has been discovered by the broad masses (and therefore businesses) within the past 10 years so many businesses go for that while many still don't though. It's an interesting situation really.

Anyway, I saw the first few christmas-commercials on tv about a week ago and Vienna's second biggest shopping mile got their christmas decorations out already (but the lights are out until december I assume). So beginning of November seems to be the point where you can start doing commercials for christmas without getting burned on a stake.

Personally, I actually like all these shopping people around christmas. For me, being totally a child of materialism, tv and consumation, it's kind of a rush. Within the past few years, I made it my little ritual walking about on shopping miles and malls at the 23rd or 24th, just enjoying this total craziness. The fact that I usually am too lazy or plain stupid to buy all the presents way before christmas is only a minor factor of course.;)

The pestilent 1
11-11-2007, 16:45
I do shopping at the last conceivable possible moment.
And Online if at all possible (Yay, Amazon)

Colonel Deal
11-11-2007, 16:54
That's what I've done the past couple of years. Amazon, Ebay, etc.

squilverine
11-11-2007, 19:29
Bristol (were I live) is a giant building site at the moment as they are redeveloping the city centre shopping area so most of the shops still open are all on short leases and tend to be "every garment under a fiver" types of places, mmm classy. So its either head to the local out of town shopping centre where all of the shops are the same or buy online.

As much as heading into Bristol to kick a few chav brats in the shins, as they run around unsupervised while thier Vicky Pollardesque mothers are busy adjusting their thongs and looking for the latest Elizabeth Duke catalogue, can be a lot of fun, I think that Amazon is the way forwards this year!

:evilgrin:

nurgle_boy
11-11-2007, 19:45
Bristol (were I live) is a giant building site at the moment as they are redeveloping the city centre shopping area so most of the shops still open are all on short leases and tend to be "every garment under a fiver" types of places, mmm classy. So its either head to the local out of town shopping centre where all of the shops are the same or buy online.

As much as heading into Bristol to kick a few chav brats in the shins, as they run around unsupervised while thier Vicky Pollardesque mothers are busy adjusting their thongs and looking for the latest Elizabeth Duke catalogue, can be a lot of fun, I think that Amazon is the way forwards this year!

and none of that is a lie! its very true, but bath is little better. the bus station area is all a mess, and vairous places have closed or moved...

its just stupidly busy, and all rushing around far too much...

what a pain, but I love it!

Shadowseer Crofty
11-11-2007, 19:52

The Amazon probably the best place to dump the little chavs and their single 17 year old mothers, where they will get eaten by savages and crocodiles.

We tend to avoid actually going out for christmas shopping, we either use amazon or send my dad somewhere in his lunch hour. This year that will change for me, as I'm now 18 and living away from home, so I think I'm expected to buy peoples presents myself. So I've got to brave Loughborough or Nottingham town centre to buy people stuff if amazon don't have what they want.

Some guy (UK)
11-11-2007, 20:37
Personally, I actually like all these shopping people around christmas. For me, being totally a child of materialism, tv and consumation, it's kind of a rush. Within the past few years, I made it my little ritual walking about on shopping miles and malls at the 23rd or 24th, just enjoying this total craziness. The fact that I usually am too lazy or plain stupid to buy all the presents way before christmas is only a minor factor of course.;)

I know what you mean- I love sitting in a coffee shop, the afternoon is drawing on, its raining a little bit, theres a Christmas song I can just about from a shop across the road, and thousands of people rush by as I sit in the golden warmth of some cosy coffee house.

I could say that just watching the doors at Primark any day of the year is the same, but it clearly isn't :p

skott4991
11-11-2007, 20:48
It gets annoying here aswell (good ol' Brum). Gettng to the bullring is difficult enough let alone trying to shop. I also go up there to my loal GW and the trains are always packed and on the few occasions you do get a seat every onegives you dirty looks because i put my case and bags on the seat next to me, nevermid the fact theres a bloke taking up six seats with all his Xmas shoping :wtf:.

One other thing that annoys me is the parents who let there 4 year old children wander off by them selves and get lost in he crowds, the screamings bad enough but the fact that they have no spacial awerness is far worse, ive been hit in the back off the legs so many times by a mates case as he quickly moves so he doesnt smack said child in the face:mad:.

And i like the xmas season :rolleyes:

The pestilent 1
11-11-2007, 21:29
One other thing that annoys me is the parents who let there 4 year old children wander off by them selves and get lost in he crowds, the screamings bad enough but the fact that they have no spacial awerness is far worse, ive been hit in the back off the legs so many times by a mates case as he quickly moves so he doesnt smack said child in the face:mad:.

And i like the xmas season :rolleyes:

What's worse are the parents who feel it their social given right to smack me in the back of the legs with a Push chair.
Or run over my feet.
Or take up the entire damned Aisle in shop X.

Alas. this isn't a Christmas only thing.

Arianwen
11-11-2007, 23:14
Ah, Christmas in Chester...

Pros
- my work shifts go much, much more quickly as I'm rushed off my feet
- nice shiny 50% staff discount generally means most people get Lush for Christmas, so I can shop while working
- er....

Cons
- all the people/tourists/idiots/kids/etc
- my being rushed off my feet at work
- lack of money due to the family members who don't like Lush stuff
- I had to wear a Christmas apron today and listen to Christmas music :mad: and this will continue until Dec. 25th
- late night shopping on Thursdays means I don't get home til 9.30pm at least, if I'm working

RavenMorpheus
11-11-2007, 23:23
Ah, Christmas in Chester...

listen to Christmas music :mad: and this will continue until Dec. 25th

Oooh don't get me started on xmas music - if I even hear Iiiiiit's christmas I swear I'll smash Tesco's PA system. :D

The Dude
12-11-2007, 00:40
- I had to wear a Christmas apron today and listen to Christmas music :mad: and this will continue until Dec. 25th

You mean they stop the Christmas music on Christmas over there? We cop it until about the end of January :(:cries:

We had the Christmas Pageant in Adelaide on Saturday. So many Tweenies! Suppressing that urge to kill was one of the hardest things I've ever done ;)

alexh
12-11-2007, 11:37
Oooh don't get me started on xmas music - if I even hear Iiiiiit's christmas I swear I'll smash Tesco's PA system. :D

I used to work in a CD shop so I Know how you feel. :mad:

Bubble Ghost
12-11-2007, 13:21
I like the whole stupid Christmas rush thing. I find people really are nicer to each other at Christmas time (on balance - there are always exceptions), and it's like a yearly, regular pulse that helps your internal clock keep ticking. Yeah, it's stupid. Embrace the stupidity. It has sparkly lights.

Angelwing
12-11-2007, 13:22
I'd like to add that I can't stand christmas! Stay in, bolt the doors!

Venomizer
12-11-2007, 13:32

I know what you mean - having a leisurely walk around the shopping centre or sitting in a cafe or coffee shop in the last few days before chirstmas, watching the masses doing their shopping & soaking in the atmosphere - it's a pleasent feeling

of course this is helped all the more that all my Chirstmas shopping is done before December 1st :D

Snoozer
12-11-2007, 19:09
I usually do my Christmas shopping like a week or a few days before the 24th, so I'm not getting all this "why are people getting gifts so late", it's only November. Al though this time I did order Warhammer related products for friends and my brother already so maybe there still is hope for me.

But I live in quite a small town so Christmas has never been a really crazy thing over here, but we have to see what happens this year, as there are a dozen new stores including an IKEA so maybe we get a few buss loads of crazies this time around.

:D

snurl
13-11-2007, 05:25
I'd like to add that I can't stand christmas! Stay in, bolt the doors!

Is your heart 2 sizes too small?

Tonight you will be visited by 3 ghosts. Expect the first when the bell tolls one........

Get in the spirit. If you dont like the crowds, shop online.

Jedi152
13-11-2007, 08:46
I dislike Christmas shopping. Mainly becuase my GF has just got her birthday money and decided to treat herself to a Wii, but we can't find one anywhere because they've all been brought up by parents wanting to spoil their kids...

Sods. :(

Also, i used to get the bus home at night, and since i work on the main bus route from town it used to be a bugger getting a bus.

Cycorax
13-11-2007, 09:10
In St Ives, Cornwall, its just as bad as you desciribe your hometown. People running around everywhere like lost sheep and annoying christmas songs blaring out everywhere, along with evil singing christmas tree's with faces that scare the living S**t out of you!..
Well at least when i was a kid, i remember running around a garden centre practically crying because every corner i turned there was another one of these evil tree's that went "..BLAAAHHHHH!! OOHH I WISH YOU A MERRY.." They're pure evil i tell ye!

Angelwing
13-11-2007, 13:11
Is your heart 2 sizes too small?

Tonight you will be visited by 3 ghosts. Expect the first when the bell tolls one........

Get in the spirit. If you dont like the crowds, shop online.

*laughs* :D
I fear no spirits!
Shopping is no problem. I don't do any.
Christmas for me = Lies, greed and hypocrisy. I don't do any of those, and I have no religion, so I don't want or need christmas. I take affront from being cast as a social deviant or pariah because I don't celebrate a 'religious' :rolleyes: day.

snurl
14-11-2007, 08:50
Sorry, I did not mean infer that you are an outcast or pariah for not being into Christmas.

While Christmas does have its roots as a religious holiday, The secular end of it has far surpassed the religious part for me. I just like to get together with my friends and family and have dinner, take some time off work, give and get some gifts and see all of the new movies. Not to mention putting up way too many christmas lights on the house. I think it's fun.:D

Angelwing
15-11-2007, 01:15
Sorry, I did not mean infer that you are an outcast or pariah for not being into Christmas.

No offense taken. I worded it wrong. I meant that society in general casts those who don't celebrate christmas as 'scrooges' etc.

Cap'n Facebeard
16-11-2007, 00:35
Our local shopping centre has 5 santas. FIVE. Kids must be attributing some wicked teleportin' skills to Santa nowadays.

Brotherdraagor
16-11-2007, 08:36
Got most of my Christmas shopping done over a month back, as both Sheffield town centre and Meadowhall become impregnable once December hits. Only things left for me are cheap laughs for friends, socks for dad and something (God knows what) for the dearly beloved.

I do like the lights and decorations though (even if they're usually turned on by some prat off of Eastenders), and being in a choir kind of makes me immune to the annoyance of repeated Christmas songs, as I do that anyway.

Shadowseer Crofty
16-11-2007, 10:37
Got most of my Christmas shopping done over a month back, as both Sheffield town centre and Meadowhall become impregnable once December hits. Only things left for me are cheap laughs for friends, socks for dad and something (God knows what) for the dearly beloved.

What cheap laugh will I be getting?
And for the dearly beloved, hows about something every wargamer's ladyfriend wants-new plastic Orks!:p

I do like the lights and decorations though (even if they're usually turned on by some prat off of Eastenders),

be fair, not all the cast of eastenders are prats. Or at least, the alsatian (sp?) isn't.

Brotherdraagor
16-11-2007, 13:44
Surely being such a wise Shadowseer, you should already have seen your Cheap Laugh in the tea leaves (or beer dregs, which ever is closer to hand)? Rest assured it is an exceptionally cheap laugh to the thriftiest degree.

Hmmmm, Orks would be perfect, if I wasn't perfectly aware that she would roll up the nearest newspaper and thwack me on the nose.

You are right of course; most are perfectly talented thespians, and everyone is down on their luck at some point.

Oh, and might I ask what the terrible fate you suffered was? PM me if it was naughty.

Shadowseer Crofty
16-11-2007, 14:21
Surely being such a wise Shadowseer, you should already have seen your Cheap Laugh in the tea leaves (or beer dregs, which ever is closer to hand)?
definitely the beer dregs, I have never used tea leaves (and haven't drank any tea since before I came to uni)

Hmmmm, Orks would be perfect, if I wasn't perfectly aware that she would roll up the nearest newspaper and thwack me on the nose.
But what about the "aaaaaawww, how cute" factor of squigs? surely she would love them the moment the squigs look up at her with those puppy eyes (or more correctly rabid wolf eyes)?

Oh, and might I ask what the terrible fate you suffered was? PM me if it was naughty.

not so much naughty, but I don't want to derail the thread, so I'll PM you

Brotherdraagor
16-11-2007, 16:58
But what about the "aaaaaawww, how cute" factor of squigs? surely she would love them the moment the squigs look up at her with those puppy eyes (or more correctly rabid wolf eyes)?

You know you've been playing too much 40k when the models start looking at you. I advise some fresh air, a strong cup of tea and some good old fashion Christmas shopping to cure you; you can start with my present:D.

On topic: A negative about the holiday season I've come across today: Somerfield seems to have chosen elves that look as though they've had a labotomy to advertise their Christmas wares. This will undoubtedly haunt my nightmares for some weeks to come.

RavenMorpheus
16-11-2007, 19:04
On topic: A negative about the holiday season I've come across today: Somerfield seems to have chosen elves that look as though they've had a labotomy to advertise their Christmas wares. This will undoubtedly haunt my nightmares for some weeks to come.

What does an elf whose had a lobotomy look like?

I totally agree with Angelwings point about being labelled a scrooge if you don't celebrate xmas.

I only buy presents/cards cos I have to, if I could get away with it I wouldn't, to me xmas is just another excuse for shops to stick prices up a bit and sell us tat, much like easter and most other religious "events" - the "message" has been lost, and although it's not really relevant if you're not of the christian religions I still think the spirit of xmas nowadays is too heavily centred around shopping and spending money. :mad:

slaaneshes_own
16-11-2007, 23:25
I asked Santa for Peace on Earth and goodwill to all men last year, think he misunderstood me cos he delivered a PSP instead :D

You sir have just reminded me of possibly my most favourite Eddie Izzard quote - "Jesus was not born to Father Christmas." 'Ho ho ho, and what would you like for Christmas Baby Jesus?' "Peace on Earth, and goodwill to mankind" 'Well, how about this clockwork train?' "Oh yes, much better!"

Sorry bout that, but yes, I know what you mean, but pretty much every woman in work apart from the younger element have finished their Christmas shopping back in August! See now to me that's just... beyond... What if you have a child to buy a present for, I know from experience that as a kid you could change my mind by blowing in my ear! One minute it'd be "Mummy Mummy, I wanna Ghostbusters car!" and then the next it'd be "Mummy Mummy, I wanna Optimus Prime!" and then the next it'd be "Mummy Mummy, I wanna baby sister!" And guess what? I never got any of those things, (No, I landed up with Gribb's instead so technically... :p) but my point is this - with a mind and a wishlist that changes every twenty seconds, you buy something for a kid, and the "latest thing (TM)" will be at the very least, old hat by the time Christmas comes around, and the kid'll loathe you for not getting it the "latest thing (TM").

This is why I love it when my job pays me between 8 and 9 days before Christmas Day - plenty of time to do my shopping, and I thank my lucky stars that I don't have to worry about buying for wee sprogs - I leave that to my parents and just pre-sign a load of labels ready! :D

With that in mind, compliments for the silly season ahead of us folks! May all have fun and those poor wretches of us who work in retail not have to work too many late night openings...

Joe

aenimosity
17-11-2007, 10:27
If you think christmas is bad in your own countries, be glad you don't live in Australia. We have to deal with the christmas kangaroo to get our presents.

RavenMorpheus
17-11-2007, 18:40
If you think christmas is bad in your own countries, be glad you don't live in Australia. We have to deal with the christmas kangaroo to get our presents.

Is that like the drop bear :D

aenimosity
18-11-2007, 02:03
Is that like the drop bear :D

Go to youtube and search for christmas kangaroo and you'll see...

Incidentally I had an English chick I worked with convinced that:

1. Drop bears exist.
2. When she said she was lucky that she lived in a city, that urban drop bears existed.
3. Traffic cones were designed off the urban drop bears butt.
4. When the humidity is high enough, jellyfish will actually crawl out of the sea and sting people while they sleep.

Good times.

RavenMorpheus
18-11-2007, 02:06
Go to youtube and search for christmas kangaroo and you'll see...

Incidentally I had an English chick I worked with convinced that:

1. Drop bears exist.
2. When she said she was lucky that she lived in a city, that urban drop bears existed.
3. Traffic cones were designed off the urban drop bears butt.
4. When the humidity is high enough, jellyfish will actually crawl out of the sea and sting people while they sleep.

Good times.

Err ok, she was well adjusted then :D