PDA

View Full Version : High Elf Prince with Battle Banner?

Bretonnian Lord
11-11-2007, 04:01
My high elf friend says that Princes can take the magic standard Battle Banner, while I say that only a commander upgraded to army standard bearer can take it. My friend says the Prince can take up to 100 pts of magic items and therefore can take the Battle Banner. Who's right?

Stella Cadente
11-11-2007, 04:12
I think your friends trying to be a jackass, a battle standard bearer can obviously take a banner because it says he can, so thats fine of course

HOWEVER, if I remember correctly there is a part in the rulebook that disallows characters taking magical items if they could not originally take a Mundane version

so a banner bearer can take a Magic banner, because he begins with a mundane one
BUT a prince can;t have ANY mundane banner, so taking a magic one would surely be impossible by those restictions

so I say in conclusion NO his prince cannot take a Magic banner

Alathir
11-11-2007, 04:22
No he cannot. Anyone who tried this with me would be greeted with a highly furrowed brow.

Stella Cadente
11-11-2007, 04:24
No he cannot. Anyone who tried this with me would be greeted with a highly furrowed brow.
special magic Item
the furrowed brow of disdain

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q250/sterling101_photos/furrowed_brow.jpg

Alathir
11-11-2007, 07:05
special magic Item
the furrowed brow of disdain

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q250/sterling101_photos/furrowed_brow.jpg

Hahaha the very same, my friend.

Griefbringer
11-11-2007, 08:52
I
HOWEVER, if I remember correctly there is a part in the rulebook that disallows characters taking magical items if they could not originally take a Mundane version

This only applies to magical armour, not to magic items in general.

For magical banners, BRB page 121 however says:

"The only character permitted to carry a magic standard is the army's battle standard bearer, and he can carry only one magical banner."

Tutore
11-11-2007, 11:58
You and your friend should both read the BRB and the armybooks carefully :) This rule is a very simple one, you shouldn't have problems with it.

SonofUltramar
11-11-2007, 13:06
Just to muddy the water further it does state that Wizards may not take armour unless specified in their Army Book and it does say under the Mage, Archmage and Dragon Mage entries, Magic Items: Any, up to a total of Xpts. The Army Book is therefore saying that you can take Any magic items from the list which would include Magic Armour but obviously not Banners as previously stated as there is a specific rule which clarifies this?

EvC
11-11-2007, 13:23
They can take "any", but only ones they are allowed to take, up to the points value listed. So no, they can't take magic armour, and nor can a Noble take Arcane Items...

T10
11-11-2007, 15:48
I notice that the High Elf BSB is not restricted from taking mundane equipment, which seems to indicate that he can take a magical shield. Whee.

-T10

Belerophon709
11-11-2007, 16:29
I notice that the High Elf BSB is not restricted from taking mundane equipment, which seems to indicate that he can take a magical shield. Whee.

-T10

Furthermore, the new HE BSB-mini is equipped with a shield. Whee x 2.

Bretonnian Lord
11-11-2007, 20:06
Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

Tutore
12-11-2007, 12:39
Unless a FAQ comes, yes, they have no entry saying they may only be equipped with light, heavy or dragon armour, as in 6th edition.