PDA

View Full Version : High Elf List made from Army set.

Nabeshin1106
11-11-2007, 04:40
I'm just starting out with High Elves, and I got the Army Set. I'm not trying to be super-competitive with this list, but I don't want to be crushed, either. Also, I'm playing Dwarfs, so I'm not used to buying Magic items, and I wanted to be sure I wasn't breaking any rules.

2000pts

Archmage
-Lvl 4 Wizard
-Sacred Incense
-Seerstaff of Saphery

Mage
-Lvl 2 Wizard
-Barded Steed
-Jewel of the Dusk
-Talisman of Saphery

Noble
-Battle Standard Bearer
-Battle Banner
-Great Weapon
-Heavy Armor
-Longbow

16 Spearman
-Full Command

16 Lothern Sea Guard
-Full Command
-Shields
-Banner of Ellyrian

12 Archers
-Light Armor

12 Archers
-Light Armor

8 Silver Helms
-Full Command

Lion Chariot of Chrace

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers

I was planning on having the Archmage and BSB join the Seaguard unit, and the Mage join the Silver Helms. I could replace something with a Mounted Noble w/ Star Lance, too.

I haven't built any of my Core choices yet, so if anyone suggests doing one big block of either Spearmen or Sea Guard, I can do that, or just change the squad sizes.

Any help is appreciated.

AFoolProofPlan
11-11-2007, 06:55
I can't give you too much advice since I'm fairly new at this, and also play Dwarfs, so I'm no good at magic either
But I think you could use more block of units.
Do you have any more models aside from the ones you got from the Army set?
Aside from the Silver Helms, you only have Spearmen, and Sea Guards. So it'll be hard to cover for both of your RBT, and Archers. Not to mention, Silver Helms could probably use a unit for a charge bait.
I'd suggest either getting more RnF troops or trying a slightly smaller army until you get more units.

11-11-2007, 07:58
Welcome to the ranks of the Asur!

Acknowledging that you're working with what the box set gives you, here are my thoughts on this list:

* For the Archmage, you might consider Seerstaff + Ring of Fury + Sacred Incense. For the Lvl 2 I'd advise Silver Wand + 2 Dispell Scrolls (or Loremaster's cloak) With the Cloak and Incense on the mages with both in the same unit, the enemy is going to have a hard time shooting or zapping them. Oh, do not put your mages on steeds. They shouldn't be getting into combat so you don't need the extra save.

* Since you're not taking any magic armor or weapons, give the BSB a magic banner. I'd suggest Sorcery to pump up your magic phase.

* 16 spears and LSG are too small even for 2000 pts. Make them at least 20 spears, perhaps 24 since you have the models. (I'm not sold on LSG yet.)

* 24 Archers?? With Light Armor?? No, no, no, no, no, NO! Never take light armor or command groups with Archers, period. No exceptions. OK, you don't need 24 of these. Take 10 and if you must take 2 units of 12. I'm assuming you don't have any models but these, but when you do, don't take any more than 10 and if you've filled your core with 2 spear blocks, drop those 10 and get another RBT. For now, maybe field 12 and convert or use the rest to "count as" 7-8 Shadow Warriors. Give 'em the capes off the Spear sprues and paint them a darker color.

* 8 Silver Helms (or any cav for that matter) is not a good number. But, that's what they give you in the box. Field 5 or 6 with full command or a "hammer unit" with 10 - 12. Better yet, buy some Dragon Princes. Again, 5-6 per unit.

* Lion Chariot - alone this is going to get shot up. Better to have two Tiranoc Chariots for the points. But it's what ya got. Always use it in combination with the Silver Helms. Use it to charge the front of a unit and get the Helms into the flank because they can negate ranks and the chariot can't.

* 2 RBTs - Nothing wrong here.

In general, you badly need some White Lions and/or Swordmasters. 16 of either/each will be enough for starters.

Also, Dragon Princes and Eagles will be good investments. Consider another chariot too.

That's what I've got for you.

Horrido!

Wreckage
11-11-2007, 13:28
All good advice above from Avatar.

Since you'll have the model anyway I'd run a 4th Noble on horse instead of all those extra archers.

Nabeshin1106
11-11-2007, 19:03
Welcome to the ranks of the Asur!

Acknowledging that you're working with what the box set gives you, here are my thoughts on this list:

* For the Archmage, you might consider Seerstaff + Ring of Fury + Sacred Incense. For the Lvl 2 I'd advise Silver Wand + 2 Dispell Scrolls (or Loremaster's cloak) With the Cloak and Incense on the mages with both in the same unit, the enemy is going to have a hard time shooting or zapping them. Oh, do not put your mages on steeds. They shouldn't be getting into combat so you don't need the extra save.

* Since you're not taking any magic armor or weapons, give the BSB a magic banner. I'd suggest Sorcery to pump up your magic phase.

* 16 spears and LSG are too small even for 2000 pts. Make them at least 20 spears, perhaps 24 since you have the models. (I'm not sold on LSG yet.)

* 24 Archers?? With Light Armor?? No, no, no, no, no, NO! Never take light armor or command groups with Archers, period. No exceptions. OK, you don't need 24 of these. Take 10 and if you must take 2 units of 12. I'm assuming you don't have any models but these, but when you do, don't take any more than 10 and if you've filled your core with 2 spear blocks, drop those 10 and get another RBT. For now, maybe field 12 and convert or use the rest to "count as" 7-8 Shadow Warriors. Give 'em the capes off the Spear sprues and paint them a darker color.

* 8 Silver Helms (or any cav for that matter) is not a good number. But, that's what they give you in the box. Field 5 or 6 with full command or a "hammer unit" with 10 - 12. Better yet, buy some Dragon Princes. Again, 5-6 per unit.

* Lion Chariot - alone this is going to get shot up. Better to have two Tiranoc Chariots for the points. But it's what ya got. Always use it in combination with the Silver Helms. Use it to charge the front of a unit and get the Helms into the flank because they can negate ranks and the chariot can't.

* 2 RBTs - Nothing wrong here.

In general, you badly need some White Lions and/or Swordmasters. 16 of either/each will be enough for starters.

Also, Dragon Princes and Eagles will be good investments. Consider another chariot too.

That's what I've got for you.

Horrido!

Thanks for all the tips. As of right now, I'm just working with the box, but I eventually want to have a White Lions themed force, so I'll have more Chariots and a couple of White Lions units.

The BSB is carrying the magic Battle banner (+D6 to Combat Res.), so he'd be sitting with the spears.

I guess with the way these guys will be kitted out, the large block of Spearmen would be a good idea. Maybe have them counts as Sea Guard later to test em out.

Overall, I like all of your suggestions, they pretty much fixed all of the misgivings I had with list.

Thanks a ton!

brambleten
11-11-2007, 19:33
if anything, at least split the archers into 2 blocks, that way you cover more targets.

Nabeshin1106
11-11-2007, 19:47
if anything, at least split the archers into 2 blocks, that way you cover more targets.

I would have split them up. Guess I didn't specify on that, huh?

Belerophon709
11-11-2007, 21:58
Just to add to what Avatar said:

Silver Helms are poo compared to dragon princes now. Convert if you must, but the few (7 I think?) extra points per model are well worth it.

Other than that I completely agree with him - I did before as well, just wanted to elaborate ;)

Bele

Nabeshin1106
12-11-2007, 00:13
How does this new list look?

Archmage
-Lvl 4 Wizard
-Seerstaff
-Incense
-Ring of Fury

Mage
-Lvl 2
-Silver Wand
-2x Dispel Scrolls

Noble
-Battle Standard bearer
-Heavy Armor
-Banner of Sorcery

Noble
-Barded Steed
-Star Lance

22 Spearmen
-Full Command

10 Sea Guard
-Full Command
-Shields

12 Shadow Warriors
-Shadow Walker

8 Silver Helms
-Full Command
-Shields

Lion Chariot

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers

Characters on foot join the Spearmen, Mounted Noble joins Silver Helms. Archers, Sea Guard, Shadow Warriors, RBTs and Magic can soften enemy units up as they come in. Probably use the Silver Helms and Chariot on one side to get flank charges, Sea Guard on the other side to help support the Spearmen. Shadow Warriors can help where needed.

Sound Okay?

Wreckage
12-11-2007, 01:22
Icky...
8 Silver Helms is bad, especially if you want to add a hero. 5-6 is good

12 Shadow warriors is way too many. 5-7 is best per unit.

10 Sea guard is really bad, you wont get to use martial prowess... bare minimum 15 to be worthwhile

22 Spearmen is a wierd number... 20 is plenty.

Nabeshin1106
12-11-2007, 01:47
Icky...
8 Silver Helms is bad, especially if you want to add a hero. 5-6 is good

12 Shadow warriors is way too many. 5-7 is best per unit.

10 Sea guard is really bad, you wont get to use martial prowess... bare minimum 15 to be worthwhile

22 Spearmen is a wierd number... 20 is plenty.

I had 22 Spearmen because there's going to be 3 Characters joining the unit. that way they make another rank.

The Sea Guard are really just there as a backup for now. I'll be bulking these units up as I go along, but for right now I'm just working with what I have from the Army set.

Wreckage
12-11-2007, 02:51
Just remember that command models from the unit take up 3 of the 5 front rank spots, so you can only really add 2 characters... the third would end up in the second rank and would be unable to do anything.

Nabeshin1106
12-11-2007, 04:35
The Lvl 2 Mage casting support spells on the unit?

Yeah, you do have a point. I'd probably drop the Musician in favor of one of the characters.