PDA

View Full Version : Host of Yvresse - 2250

Alathir
11-11-2007, 04:52
Hey guys, I just recently bought the new High Elf book and am in love with it. My vision is to do an all infantry list, with not a single mounted model in the army. Since my other army is Bretonnian, I think it would be nice to step away from cavalry for a change.

This is just a sample list, tell me what you guys think.

Oh and just a note on my prince with the White Sword... I know many would disagree with that weapon choice but I put alot of stock in it. Last night, it cut down a Tzeentchian Chaos Lord on a Dragon and then proceeded to cut down an Exalted Champion in a chariot in the very next turn. Brilliant stuff.

Host of Yvresse

Characters:
Prince Baralei Athreal = 262
-The White Sword
-Dragon Armour of Caledor
-Guardian Phoenix
-Talisman of Loec

Calin - Noble = 164
-Battle Standard Bearer
-Heavy Armour
-Great Weapon
-Shield
-Temakador's Gauntlets

Tathar - Mage = 165
-Lvl 2
-The Trickster’s Pendant

Andrael - Mage = 185
-Lvl 2
-Seer Staff of Saphery
-Dispel Scroll

Core:
Spearmen x 20 = 205
-Full Command
-Led by Baralei

Spearmen x 20 = 205
-Full Command

Archers x 10 = 110

Archers x 10 = 110

Special:
Phoenix Guard x 25 = 440
-Full Command
-Guardian carries Gem of Courage
-War Banner
-Led by Calin

White Lions x 5 = 75

White Lions x 5 = 75

Rare:
Repeater Bolt Thrower = 100

Eagle = 50

11-11-2007, 07:20
Ok, with a footslogger list, I'm surprised by some of your choices. This might just reflect my preferences and habits.

* You're relatively magic light for a HE army. Considering you're often going to have your opponent coming to you, I'd think you'd want more magic to pummel him with, or slow him down.

* Regarding pummelling, 2 units of Archers is not what I would choose. You could drop one for another bolt thrower. Fewer shots yes, but more powerful. 3 RBT's will concern an opponent with Giants, Dragon's, and other big targets in ways 10 archers never will. Since your core is covered, I'd drop the other Archer unit for 7 Shadow Warriors. They can scout, screen, march block, hide mages. They're just more useful.

* Regarding slowing down, if you don't want to add another RBT, then definitely put another Eagle in there to redirect and march block enemy cav.

* 25 Phoenix Guard? Going for the fear-causing-outnumber-autobreak eh? Pretty expensive. I'd drop them to at least 21 if not 18, 6 wide. With the points saved I'd...

* Fix your White Lion problem. 2 units of 5 is a bad idea. They're resilient, but not invulnerable. Those will quickly be ineffective. Put them together and add a couple more - at least 12 in 2 ranks of six as flankers, which I believe is what you're using them for.

That's my food for thought. Interesting that the White Sword is working for you. 40 pts for Killing Blow seems expensive to me. With that Seer Mage, you might take Heavens for the guaranteed Second Sign of Amul just for rerolls to get those 6's, as well as for those single bolt RBT shots that need to hit.

Alathir
11-11-2007, 09:10
Very nice advice Avatar, and thanks for the reply. How would you consider enhancing my magic phase? short of adding an archmage?

I think its a good idea for the extra bolt thrower, I'll make that change to the list.

Yeah, the 25 Phoenix Guard is a definite risk. But I think these guys are so survivable that it will be difficult for units to break them. Plus, I am in love with the models and I find their resiliance to be a big help when it comes to combat.

Yeah.. the white Lions.. I'm not sure what I was doing... I was thinking even a small unit could go and hold a fully ranked unit with their stubborn and even minimize retaliation with strikes first. But flankers is their true purpose, you're right. I'll combine them for sure.

The White Sword + talisman of loec really works, for me at least, as you can take down vampires and such with little difficulty. Re-rolling their precious ward saves is very nasty for them.

Again thank you for the advice.

RavenBloodwind
11-11-2007, 15:27
I certainly concur with Avatar's suggestions.

One comment: this is the second HE list I've seen where the BSB was given a great weapon. Is this something new in the HE list? As far as I know no other army is able to take such a configuration. (guess I should have bought the HE army book yesterday)

11-11-2007, 15:35
I certainly concur with Avatar's suggestions.

One comment: this is the second HE list I've seen where the BSB was given a great weapon. Is this something new in the HE list? As far as I know no other army is able to take such a configuration. (guess I should have bought the HE army book yesterday)

Yep, it's allowed. Totally ridiculous, but allowed. How's he going to hold the banner with a two-handed weapon, in his butt-cheeks? Silly. And I'm a devoted HE player. A lance or single hand weapon is imaginable.

But, it is a fantasy game afterall.

Wreckage
11-11-2007, 16:05
Maybe he sticks it in the ground to fight... or maybe the big pole is his "great weapon"...

TheSanityAssassin
11-11-2007, 16:38
I personally like that thinking, with him burying the banner in the ground, drawing his sword, and daring anyone to come and try to take it.

Again though, I would like to see the suggestions on improving his magic, just to help with my own.

Alathir
11-11-2007, 23:13
Okay, here is the changed up list. Yeah, great weapons are legal. I really like the imagery of the guy planting it in the ground and unsheathing his sword.

Host of the Golden Dawn

Characters:
Prince Baralei Athreal = 262
-The White Sword
-Dragon Armour of Caledor
-Guardian Phoenix
-Talisman of Loec

Captain Calis - Noble = 162
-Battle Standard Bearer
-Heavy Armour
-Great Weapon
-Temakador's Gauntlets

Tathil - Mage = 185
-Lvl 2
-Ring of Fury +40
-Silver Wand +10

Andrael - Mage = 185
-Lvl 2
-Seer Staff of Saphery +30
-Dispel Scroll +20
*This guy will usually choose Second Sign of Amul for the re-rolls.

Core:
Guardians of Yvresse
Spearmen x 20 = 205
-Full Command
-Led by Baralei

Warriors of Silver Pass
Spearmen x 20 = 205
-Full Command

Calis’ Bows
Archers x 10 = 110

Special:
Dawn’s Disciples
Phoenix Guard x 23 = 410
-Full Command
-Guardian carries Gem of Courage
-War Banner
-Led by Calis

The Sunstriders
White Lions x 12 = 180

Rare:
Talons of the Golden Dawn

Dawnrider
Eagle = 50

feintstar
12-11-2007, 01:02
This list is much better than the first. Really very good.

My own advice is not advice, more a matter of informing you of my personal preferences.

I'd personally not bother with Temkador's gauntlets for the BSB. He'll probably either A. Kill his opponent outright in the ASF round or B. Get killed anyway. (now this isn't actually true, its just the way I think) So what I'd do is swap that plus maybe the dispell scroll (risky I know) for a Banner of Sorc. on the White Lions. I never leave home without one.

I'd tend to combine with a radiant gem for a BSB but I can't find anything to drop in your list to get you one.

But yeah, your magic is looking a lot more scary now - bound spells etc. And I Love the loadout on the Prince. He's perfect, don't change him for the world.

Alathir
12-11-2007, 01:40
Thanks alot Feintstar, I'm glad you like it.

As for the Banner of Sorcery, I think your right about it actually, it is a very handy banner and really can add some more punch to the magic phase.

Just a quick rules question... I'm assuming that to give a unit a magic banner you first have to buy the unit a standard bearer?