PDA

View Full Version : A Dogs of War Idea.

mistformsquirrel
11-11-2007, 11:47
So... as I so often do... I had an idea.

(Better start running now...)

I was wondering - if they were to revamp Dogs of War at some point in the future (and I hope they do, I think they're pretty interesting) - I had an interesting idea as a possible rule for them... but I want opinions!

That is - any Core or Special choice (but not Rare); from any other army, could be fielded as a Dogs of War Rare choice (with an 0-1 limit on it)

This would allow Dogs of War to field, for example, a unit of Mercenary Elves, of several different possible flavors, or Mercenary Greatswords, or a Mortar, etc...

Its not so much looking for an advantage - but rather a way to add an interesting bit of theme to a Dogs of War army. Dogs of War seems to me to be the most likely army to be made up of several races, but as it stands its pretty much Humans, a few Dwarves and Orcs, and then Ogres.

Is there something imbalancing about this I'm missing though? I wouldn't want it if it would cause real trouble; its merely one of those moments of "This could be kinda nice to have..." - so I was wondering what you all thought of the idea; so that maybe I could write up a real suggestion and email it to GW. Not that I expect they'll necessarily listen, but I'm a notorious suggester; and occasionally I even come up with good ideas!

Rodman49
11-11-2007, 12:03
I like the general idea but can't see it happening and it is to open to abuse. Everyone would end up taking Swordmasters or the like would be my guess.

Plus I believe the Regiments of Renown already kind of serve this purpose.

antin3
11-11-2007, 13:28
I like the idea, it's great and perfectly plausible. Why couldn't any renegade or mercenary unit from any army take their skills with them when they turn. I think there should be restrictions though. Mine would mostly be dictated by fluff. I never liked the idea of Orcs or Skaven fighting beside humans or as in the above example, I can't see the highly disciplined and trained swordmasters going mercenary. I think that is why the list is made up mostly by humans, dwarves and a few other select choices from othe races. Maybe the new DoW army list could be made up like this - you would take a race specific mercenary force with other units you could add as fluff dictates. ie an Orc renegade band with hobgoblins,humans, ogres and giants but I would think the human units wouldn't be that great as they would probably be more or less slaves. A human merc force would probably allow dwarves and elves and ogres, probably even DE. I can't see lizardmen going renegade either. Well that's just my ideas, I 'm sure there would be naysayers no matter what the list looks like.

last akodo
11-11-2007, 13:54
I also like the idea but it is terribly open to abuse. Allowing them to choose one core from any race would help to mitigate that to a certain degree but never the less there would have to be some exceptions I'm sure.

Mercenary dryads FTW?

mistformsquirrel
11-11-2007, 13:59
Perhaps have a section at the back of the list that mentions certain units that cannot be selected (Such as Swordmasters) and Unit Exclusivities (like no taking Orcs AND Dwarves in the same army)?

It wouldn't have to be too complicated I wouldn't think, just a couple of reference charts... it could really make the Dogs of War one of the most customizable armies out there.

It'd also be cool to have a 'Build a Lord" system - where you pick your lord's race, a "mercenary skill" (along the lines of the Virtues of Bretonnia), and then magic items, and all that together decides the points cost of the lord, and perhaps adds or removes certain restrictions on the army list.

Like perhaps a Human lord, being somewhat average all around compared to others; could have a special "Diplomacy" Skill, allowing you to take otherwise unobtainable combinations... of course you're paying for that with a general who's less capable of taking on enemy Lords in the field, and doesn't have Magic beyond their items; when an Elven general would give you a better fighter with Ld10 (instead of 9), an Orc leader would be a real bruiser, a Dwarven leader might allow the army some extra Magic Item choices perhaps, etc...

... This could get very interesting...

(Can anyone tell I like Dogs of War?)

Red_Lep
11-11-2007, 14:31
Perhaps have a section at the back of the list that mentions certain units that cannot be selected (Such as Swordmasters) and Unit Exclusivities (like no taking Orcs AND Dwarves in the same army)?

It wouldn't have to be too complicated I wouldn't think, just a couple of reference charts... it could really make the Dogs of War one of the most customizable armies out there.

It'd also be cool to have a 'Build a Lord" system - where you pick your lord's race, a "mercenary skill" (along the lines of the Virtues of Bretonnia), and then magic items, and all that together decides the points cost of the lord, and perhaps adds or removes certain restrictions on the army list.

Like perhaps a Human lord, being somewhat average all around compared to others; could have a special "Diplomacy" Skill, allowing you to take otherwise unobtainable combinations... of course you're paying for that with a general who's less capable of taking on enemy Lords in the field, and doesn't have Magic beyond their items; when an Elven general would give you a better fighter with Ld10 (instead of 9), an Orc leader would be a real bruiser, a Dwarven leader might allow the army some extra Magic Item choices perhaps, etc...

... This could get very interesting...

(Can anyone tell I like Dogs of War?)

The French GW has something along those lines, it gives you the choice of High/Dark Elf Lord, Dwarf Lord, Orc Lord, or Ogre Lord. I still need to figure out how to translate thoug:rolleyes:

last akodo
11-11-2007, 14:34
In an old WD they had entries for various races as a DoW general. It didn't take too much room either. I don't think there should be too much restriction as to who can join forces though. They are all doing it for the cash after all. Just put an animosity type rule in for troops that hate each other and let the generals hatred restrict what you can choose.

Bingo the Fun Monkey
11-11-2007, 18:21
Wasn't that the same WD that the 5th ed VC were featured in? I do sometimes miss Nigel Stillman and most of the old guard....