PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Selling Tactics?

Darkseer
11-11-2007, 13:32
When selling your fully painted army on ebay, is it better to sell it in one big lot, or as individual units?

I personally have always been irritated when I've seen a beautiful army split up into individual units and haven't bid at all.
Full armies tempt me to bid on them more.
Or is this because I can comfortably afford a whole army in one go?

What do you think?

twj
11-11-2007, 13:37
Obviously depends on how much you have to sell. If you have a massive amount (200pts +) you could sell it as a decentish army (1000 - 1500pts) and sell other units individually.

Also depends on how well it is painted/built. If it is brilliantly painted, I'd sell it individually, if crap sell in bulk.

catbarf
11-11-2007, 13:42
ALWAYS sell individually. Very few people are willing to spend $200+ online. With individual auctions, you can sell each one for a little more than they'd be worth as part of the big lot, and so the markup will make up for any that don't sell or go very cheaply.

Also, if you plan on selling anything now, wait until right before Christmas. You'll get obscene amounts of money.

LittleLeadMen
11-11-2007, 13:59
I've sold three full 2000 point armies online via Ebay. Everytime that I do it I get the same reaction.

First, I post it here, as well as at Dakka Dakka, 40k online, etc.
I always get tons of compliments, then I get annoying complaints and derogatory remarks re: the price. If I've learned anything selling minis it is this:

80% of wargamers are cheap crybabies. The remaining 20%, however are willing to pay for things they like.

So... I post the army on the fan sites. Usually no takers. But I always give it a chance. Then I take the same pictures and post the army on ebay. But the essential thing is that you HAVE to post a corresponding featured ad up on Cool Mini or Not with a link to the Ebay auction.

To date, all three complete armies have sold for a total of $3300. On top of that, two of the buyers liked the armies enough to spend an additional $900 on painting fees to expand the armies they bought.

If I add in one-off minis that I've sold on Ebay with CMON ads links, I've grossed an additional $750 (roughly). That comes to a grand total of $4950 over a two year period that I've made (gross) from selling toy soldiers.

If they are painted to a good standard, sell it as a single army on ebay with a CMON ad link. Don't let anyone else dictate how much they think your army is worth. Set a price in your head that you're willing to sell at, and stick to it.

Don't listen to any naysayers; none of them typically are willing to spend decent money on anything to begin with.

Some guy (UK)
11-11-2007, 14:03
If it is an incredible, well painted army, and the pictures you put up are brilliant, and providing a decent starting price etc, I've seen many such things go for high prices as one lot.

I'd say do some searches on Ebay for auctions of both kinds. Also I've seen units in Eavy Metal colours go for a lot more than single units in custom schemes, so I'd say be aware of that.

crandall87
11-11-2007, 14:31
I prefer to sell armies just so it's easier to post. Selling all the units means boxes going all over the place however in my experience you will make more money selling each unit.

Latro_
11-11-2007, 15:01
just dont put 'pro painted' it amazes me the amount of people that say that so somthing painted with a tank brush and a case of the shakes.

spikyjames
11-11-2007, 16:45
having tried both method's i'd say sell it as a whole. just make sure your picture's are good. i also find it's best to keep the explanation as brief as possible.

i think it's amusing the amount of talking up some people will do about themselves when the pic's will talk for themselves.

James

Darkseer
11-11-2007, 16:48
Cheers guys.

I ask, because I'm thinking of selling all this:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b135/AdamsMiniatures/Chaos%20Marines/tourneyarmy.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b135/AdamsMiniatures/Chaos%20Marines/DSCF0025.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b135/AdamsMiniatures/Chaos%20Marines/DSCF0004.jpg

Think 300 is a good estimate?
daemon prince
sorcerer on foot
10 possessed (converted)
X3 10 chaos marines: lucious champ conversions
10 havocs (androids)
5 bikers (converted)
3 obliterators (space crusade dreads)
1 dreadnought (big space crusade dread)
2 spawn
defiler (converted)
original predator

Latro_
11-11-2007, 16:58
dood you cant sell that, as i remember you spent ages finding all those models and stuffe.

Darkseer
11-11-2007, 17:08
dood you cant sell that, as i remember you spent ages finding all those models and stuffe.

Well...
I feel as I did with my Deathwing when the new codex arrived.
The flavour of the army was lacking and playing Chaos undivided used to fill me a great sense of cunning like I was playing the big overly dressed baddie in an epic saga.
But now I send my guys forward to die because they've got no skills, they cost too much and the goody goody two shoes marines can do everything they can do so much better.

Besides, I'm quitting the hobby and instead of trying to keep this awkward army going, it's simpler to just stop.

Like my Deathwing, I will mourn them and everyone on the Deathwing Tactica Thread knows how much I loved my Deathwing army. But I'll always cherish what they once were.
I won't sink to doing a Thousand Sons army!

Agrip. Varenus Denter
11-11-2007, 17:12
Darkseer - gorgeous. :) But may I recommend 250?

Darkseer
11-11-2007, 17:13
Darkseer - gorgeous. :) But may I recommend 250?

Any particular reason?

Carry case included!

Agrip. Varenus Denter
11-11-2007, 17:16
Nothing in particular other than looking at asking prices for similar quality armies... but with case? Toss in a Codex or something and I bet you'll land the 300 easy.

Darkseer
11-11-2007, 17:24
Nothing in particular other than looking at asking prices for similar quality armies... but with case? Toss in a Codex or something and I bet you'll land the 300 easy.

Codex + bag of dice coloured to match the army. = yellow, purple, black, bone and gold.

max the dog
11-11-2007, 17:31
My advice based upon years of ebay purchases and 60% of it GW;
1 Accept paypal and any and all other form of secure payment. Exclude no bidders no matter how lame their payment is going to be.
2 Only accept checks from people with positive buyer ratings of at least 95%.
3 If paid by check wait at least 3 days after it cleared to send it but let the buyer know. I've seen checks bounce after they supposedly cleared.
4 Post good pictures and talk up what kind of a paint job you did. Listing the colors and methods used could help. If you run out of picture space post a link to photobucket where you can post additional pictures.
5 Mention if any model is rare, out of print, limited edition, etc....
6 Don't sell individual models except vehicles, special characters, and rare models.
7 Sell entire units rather than the entire army. But do sell the entire army within the same week. A person who already bought a couple of units will pay more for matching units later on. It's a means of encouraging a bidder war.
8 Private message bidders who won or failed to win previous auction of yours that a new unit is being listed and give them a link. If they liked your stuff before they may be willing to buy from you again.
9 Be clear that you wil combine shipping and agree to ship anywhere on the planet (I'm actually intrested myself).
10 Tell the buyers if your shipping method is going to be good.
11 Mention your gaming experience with the army especially if you know a particular unit is effective.

Good luck and I'm sure I'll think of more advice but what I listed is pretty good.

Agrip. Varenus Denter
11-11-2007, 17:41
Codex + bag of dice coloured to match the army. = yellow, purple, black, bone and gold.

See... now you're tempting me, which will anger The Emper... errrr... the wife. :)

Darkseer
11-11-2007, 17:45
Well, if we make it 300, I can throw in the 3 original rhinos still on the sprues.
They should be arriving in the post by the end of next week.

*tempts you, tempts you*

LittleLeadMen
11-11-2007, 19:46
having tried both method's i'd say sell it as a whole. just make sure your picture's are good. i also find it's best to keep the explanation as brief as possible.

i think it's amusing the amount of talking up some people will do about themselves when the pic's will talk for themselves.

James

That's good advice. The only text you should really have are the following:

1. A detailed and accurate list of everything that comes with the army. Just clear descriptions of the items (2 sergeants with power fists, 8 marines with bolters & Forge World shoulder pads, etc)

2. Clearly list if any "bonus" items come with the army (dice, templates, codex) and clearly list your shipping methods, payment requirements, and shipping expenses. I've had more problems with dumb things like "hey, the pictures showed dice, where are they?" etc....

As for the army- it's great. There's no reason you can't get more than 300 quid. That's ONLY $600. That army can fetch $800 to $1000 if you are persistent about its value. I'd also suggest comprehensive pictures of each unit separately. Take the time to put a blue gradiant behind them, as well.

Quick story as an example. I once had a mini that was on CMON and selling on Ebay. It didn't sell and my CMON rating for the mini was around 6.5 to 7. I took the same picture and digitally removed the background and replaced it with the blue gradient. I did NOTHING to the actual picture of the mini itself. I only changed the background. Just by doing that, it sold and my CMON rating for mini (when reposted, as an experiment), was in the high 7's.

People aren't logical. They go by gut. For some reason, the nice blue background convinces them that the image is important an worth more. It makes no logical sense, but it works.

Go for more money- you can get it.

Visionary
11-11-2007, 19:49
That's the only ebay army that would be easy to intergrate into my own...

Ah dammit!

Darkseer
11-11-2007, 21:44
I'll take some more photos tomorrow.
Then it's all going on ebay!
300 here we come.
PM me if you want it before I do put it on ebay though.

Norsehawk
12-11-2007, 01:10
I personally hate when armies are broken up. If its painted and I don't intend on stripping, I better be getting the whole army in one big chunk rather than getting in bidding wars over every single unit trying to get an army that matches.

That being said, I have bought several armies on ebay over the years, and I almost always strip everything eventually. The only time I bought piecemeal was when I was trying to get a ton of stormtroopers (which I still need to paint)