PDA

View Full Version : The Pheonix Blade

Defender of Ulthuan
11-11-2007, 18:30
I'm thinking GW needs an errata section already...

So, the question is, does Caradryan get +1S when using the Pheonix Blade?

The exact descriptin is:

The Pheonix Blade (Magic Weapon)

This ancient halberd was enchanted for the Captain of the
Pheonix Guard Kor-Baelan.

All attacks made with the Pheonix Blade are flaming attacks.
In addition, it causes not one but D3 wounds against enemy models with Unit Strength 2 or greater.

So what's the answer?? In the fluff-description it says halberd, but to counter this, in the rulebook it says "Magic weapons always ignore any special rules that apply to an ordinary weapon of the same type unless otherwise specified in the description of the weapon."

I leave it to you, WarSeer. Is the Pheonix Blade a one-handed weapon with special abilities, or a halberd with special abilities?

Thanks,

Defender of Ulthuan

theunwantedbeing
11-11-2007, 18:33
Does he have a sheild?
If not then it doesnt really matter.

Defender of Ulthuan
11-11-2007, 18:36
What matters is if he's S4 or S5.

TheSanityAssassin
11-11-2007, 18:44
I'd take the fact that the description of the weapon says "This ancient halberd" as a pretty clear statement that it's a halberd.....

Kroxigore
11-11-2007, 19:25
I'm thinking GW needs an errata section already...

So, the question is, does Caradryan get +1S when using the Pheonix Blade?

The exact descriptin is:

The Pheonix Blade (Magic Weapon)

This ancient halberd was enchanted for the Captain of the
Pheonix Guard Kor-Baelan.

All attacks made with the Pheonix Blade are flaming attacks.
In addition, it causes not one but D3 wounds against enemy models with Unit Strength 2 or greater.

So what's the answer?? In the fluff-description it says halberd, but to counter this, in the rulebook it says "Magic weapons always ignore any special rules that apply to an ordinary weapon of the same type unless otherwise specified in the description of the weapon."

I leave it to you, WarSeer. Is the Pheonix Blade a one-handed weapon with special abilities, or a halberd with special abilities?

Thanks,

Defender of Ulthuan

"Magic weapons always ignore any special rules that apply to an ordinary weapon of the same type unless otherwise specified in the description of the weapon."

You've said it yourself. It doesn't matter, what the fluff description sais, the rules for the weapon don't say, that it confers +1 S, so it doesn't. It also doesn't say, that it is carried in both hands, so you can use a shield with it.

Palatine Katinka
12-11-2007, 02:55
Yeah, sadly no +1 S for Caradryan and unfortunately he can't use a shield with it because he's a named character without option for a shield and no one else can take that weapon. He does get to chop up trolls good and proper though! ;)

sulla
13-11-2007, 02:54
Yeah, sadly no +1 S for Caradryan and unfortunately he can't use a shield with it because he's a named character without option for a shield and no one else can take that weapon. He does get to chop up trolls good and proper though! ;)

And more importantly, when he (inevitably) dies, he's got a good chance of taking the other guy with him unless he's got a good ward save...:evilgrin:

eldrak
14-11-2007, 17:10
He gets the +1S if you use Vauls unmaking on him.

Seems like a fair trade off ;)