PDA

View Full Version : First game against HE with my new Empire army.

Kahadras
11-11-2007, 18:47
Well I played my first game of Warhammer in years with a new Empire army that I've been building for the past month against a guy whose just started playing High Elves. We both only had 1000 points worth of troops and had just joined a Mighty Empires campaign.

We'd both agreed to challenge each other as we had a bit of a rivalry going from back in 6th ed. The lists looked something like this....

Empire

Captain on Pegasus
Battle wizard + extra level

20 Swordsmen + FC
10 Handgunners
5 Knights + FC

5 Pistoliers + musician
5 Pistoliers + musician
Cannon

Helblaster volley gun

High Elves

Noble + horse (and armour that gives him a rerollable armour save)
Wizard + extra level (had the Gen that gives him +1 power dice and something that allowed him to pick his spells)

12 Archers
12 Archers
20 Spearmen + FC

6 Silver helms + FC (banner of MR 2)

Repeater bolt thrower

My opponant chose the scout stratergy in the Mighty Empires book which totaly screwed any hope I had of kicking the game off on a even footing (I had to set up first and he got first turn)

The battle field was fairly open. I had two woods in my deployment zone (left and right flank. He had a wood in the center and some ruins on his left and right.

Rolling up magic he chose Curse of arrow attractionand Fury of Khaine. I decided to go for Lore of Metal and got Rule of burning iron and Distilation of molten silver.

I set up first. On my left flank I deployed both my Pistolier units. I deployed my HBVG tucked in behind the left wood to cover my center. In my center I deployed my Swordmen and Handgunners (I placed the Mage inside the Handgunner unit). My Captain and knights went behind the right wood and the Cannon went on the far right.

He then set up. His Silver Helms (with noble) and Spearmen (with wizard) went down opposite my Pistoliers. His archers went down in the center and he tucked his bolt thrower behind the wood (it could see my center but I couldn't draw LOS to it with my cannon)

The game started with him taking first turn.

Turn 1 - High Elves

He marches his Silver helms and Spearmen up. Everything else stays still and prepares to shoot. In the magic phase he tries to cast Fury which is dispelled he then succeeds in casting Drain Magic. In shooting he opens up on the Hand gunners with his RBT and first archer unit, killing three and forcing a panic check (which I fail even with the general within 12 inches). His second archer unit kills a couple of Swordmen.

Turn 1 - Empire

My fleeing Handgunners and wizard fail to rally. My Pistoliers move up. They maneuver around the Silver helms and end up within range of the Spearmen. My captain flies up 20 inches and my knights move out keeping out of LOS of his RBT. No magic as the wizard is running. In shooting my cannon kills a couple of spearmen (poor bounce doen't take it very far through his unit). My Pistoliers then tear into the Spearmen killing seven with shooting and forcing a panic check (which he passes)

Turn 2 - High elves

He declares a charge on one of my units of Pistoliers. In my first major mistake I take the charge and my stand and shoot fails misrably (no kills). His Silver helms reform to charge the flank of my Pistoliers (oh dear). No magic as his wizard is now in combat. In shooting the archers target the second pistolier unit killing two (I pass my panic check) and the Swordmen (a couple of swordsmen die)

Close combat. My folly is now obvious as my opponant gleefully points out that Spear elves can attack in two ranks on the charge (instead of one which I thought). I lose two Pistoliers, my return attcks pull down a single elf. I lose the combat, run and get caught and wiped out. My second pistolier unit then fails a panic check and runs. Poo.

Turn two - Empire

I fail my rally test yet again and the Handgunners and wizard flee off the table but my Pistoliers rally and move into range of the RBT (they fled sideways across the battlefield making it possible for me to get into range of the RBT). I declare a charge on the archers with my Captain. My opponant stands and shoots and knocks two wounds off the Pegasus but I make it into combat. My Swordsmen and HBVG move up as do my knights (still out of LOS of the majority of his firepower). No Magic. In shooting I can only see the archers with my cannon but the ball overshoots them. The Pistoliers knock a wound off the RBT

In close combat I hit the side of the archers. The one elf that can attack goes first, hits the Pegasus and kills it. The Captain strikes back killing a couple of elves and drawing the combat.

Turn three - High elves

The Spearmen move up behind the wood. The Silver helms move across the battlefield to get LOS on my Swordsmen. No magic as my opponant cannot see anything. Shooting sees the RBT kill a Pistolier, the other two fail a panic check and run. The archers target the HBVG but don't do anything.

In combat My captain cuts down another elf drawing the combat again.

Turn three - Empire

I fail to rally my Pistoliers. My knight move up to behind the wood (they can now can charge the archers next turn but are still out of LOS of the RBT). My Swordsmen turn to face the oncomming Silver helms. My HBVG lets fly at his unengaged archers. Despite a misfire on the first dice I roll a 5 and nothing bad happens; the other two barrels generate 10 shots which kill 2 elves. My cannon hits and kills a single archer (they have to take a panic check but pass)

In combat my Captain hacks down another elf drawing the combat again.

Turn four - High elves

My opponant declares a charge with his Silver helms onto my Swordsmen but is out of range (this is disasterous for him as it brings his Silver helms into short range of my HBVG). His spearmen struggle to get round the wood so he takes the desperate step of taking the wizard out of the unit and moving it round the wood to behind the HBVG. In the magic phase he gets off Fury which does 7 hits, killing a crew man and dealing a wound to the HBVG itself. He miscasts Curse which causes him to lose a wound. In shooting the archers and RBT fluff up and do nothing to the HBVG.

The combat between the Captain and the Archers drags on. I kill a couple this turn forcing a break check which he easily passes.

Turn four - Empire

My remaining two pistoliers rally. I declare a charge on the engaged Archers with my Knights (I can't reach the unengaged unit). The HBVG pivots to target the Silver helms. No magic. The HBVG opens fire, 12 shots, 4 hits, 4 wounds, 4 dead Silver helms (they pass their panic check). Cannon cannot see anything. Pistoliers are out of range.

In close combat the archers manage to kill a knight before being wiped out. The second archer unit panics and flees. My knights overrun off the board.

Turn five - High elves

His archers fail to rally and fall back off the table. My opponant is annoyed. He declares a charge with his Silver helms. My Swordsmen flee and he fails his charge again (and is now sitting almost right next to the muzzle of the HBVG). He moves his wizard to make room for his spearmen to wheel round the wood (a fatal error). He's now desperate to get rid of the HBVG and Furies it again (I have virtualy no chance of stopping it). He gets 4 hits (2 on the crew, 2 on the machine). I give a sigh of relief as he only kills on crew member. He then rolls 2 sixes to wound the warmachine and my HBVG is destroyed (I was a bit upset at this point). The RBT knocks a wound off my Captain leaving him on one.

Turn five - Empire

My Swordsmen rally (thank goodness). My captain charges the RBT (he decides to hold). My Pistoliers move left towards the Spear elves. My cannon pivots as I point out to my opponant that I can now draw LOS to his wizard (he's not so happy now). My knight come back on. In the shooting phase my cannon fires at his Wizard landing a cannonball directly on his head. Splat. My pistoliers kill a couple of spear elves.

The bolt thrower crew do nothing in combat and are easily cut down by my heroic captain.

To be continued

Kahadras
11-11-2007, 19:24
Turn Six - High elves

The Silver helms declare a charge on the swordsmen (I hold) and the spearmen declare a charge on the Pistoliers (I flee easily outdistancing the elves). No magic and no shooting.

In combat the swordsmen are soundly beaten but hold on.

Turn Six - Empire

I rally my Pistoliers. My Knights move into an uncontested table quarter. My captain sits down and has a breather. My pistoliers move up to harrass the Spearmen again. The cannon fires at the Spearmen (it can now see them thank to their failed charge) and kills a couple. The pistoliers also take down another two.

In combat there is a lot of failure on both sides. No casualties are caused and I win the combat by 1 (my opponant passes his leadership check)

Turn Seven - High elves

Authors note. This has one of the best games I've had of Warhammer ever. There were loads of people cheering us on and everybody was having a great time. At some point in the game the turn dice was accidently knocked over without anybody realising leading to an extra turn being played. If the game had finnished here I would have probably won

The spear elves move out of LOS of my cannon. The combat continues between the Silver helms and the Swordmen (I win again due to no casulaties being caused but again he passes he leadership)

Turn Seven - Empire.

Nothing much happens bar my swordsmen run after losing the combat with the Silver helms. My opponant over runs them and gets their standard. The game ends. I win by aproximatly 50 VP which works out to be a draw.

Kahadras

Gazak Blacktoof
11-11-2007, 19:43
Quick point about the pistoliers.

Fast cavalry and can only move and shoot after rallying having voluntarily fled as part of a flee charge reaction. If they flee due to any other reason or rally after their first opportunity to do so they are treated as any other unit after rallying.

During turn 2 the pistoliers appear to run due to a proximity to a lost combat and then rally and immediately begin moving and shooting, they should not be able to do this.

____________ ______________

Two very shooty armies which I'd have though would have resulted in a far larger number of dead elves, I suppose that's the special scenario rules paying off for them.

Despite not being cursed in the normal exploding manner that HBVG seems to be rather unlucky.

szlachcic
11-11-2007, 19:45
Sounds like a hard fought battle which are always my favorites. How powerful would you say the new HEs are now that they strike first? After seeing the battle report in the last White Dwarf I didn't think they looked as powerful as many people were making them out to be, so I was just curious of what you thought.

Great battle and it was too bad you had to fight that extra turn, but as long as you had a good time then that is all that matters.

Kahadras
11-11-2007, 20:17
After action analysis.

So a solid draw with my army on its first outing. I'm fairly pleased with how things turn out in the end and a draw was probably the fairest result. I couldn't help feeling that my opponant had the better portion of the luck in the game but I was still able to pull things back towards the end.

I'll look at the thing that really annoyed me first which was the Mighty Empires scout rule. This ment I was totaly screwed over in the first turn. Not only could my opponant see exactly what I was doing and deploy to counter me but also got the first turn as well to really add to the pain. I got shot before I could move up and I couldn't redeploy my Pistoliers effectively (I got a bit conjested on the left flank)

I've already cited it but luck was against me as well. I had three oppertunities to stop my Handgunners/wizard running away and I failed all of them. My opponnat had some bad luck as well (misjudging the Silver helms charge and his second unit of archer running away was a blow). Unfortunatly I lost my magical support as well which hurt me later on in the game (I could have countered his Furies with the extra dice to throw into the dispel attempts).

My one tactical blunder was the Pistoliers. I repeated the mantra of 'stay out of combat, stay out of combat' to myself but overwhelmed by my success in blowing away a good chunk of the spear elf unit I decided to stand and shoot and try to deal out even more damage. In return lost the unit and got the spear elves closer to my lines.

My opponant played a pretty good game IMHO. He took down a lot of my ranged support early on in the game. He lamented the fact that he didn't have any fast cavalry to deal with my cannon but overall felt that his army performed well.

My feelings on the new HE book were that the new ed certainly is a nice bit of kit. ASF is pretty big IMHO but my view is coloured by the fact he managed to take out my Pegasus with his archers before I could hit him. This makes even small defencive units pretty nasty to take on with lightly armed flanking units.

Man of the match goes to my cannon. It killed 4 spearmen (36 points), 2 archers (22 points) and his wizard (180 points) giving it a grand total of 238 points killed. Every guess I made was pretty much spot on and caused my opponant a lot of grief. Over all the battle was great. The fact that I've played a lot of Warhammer back in 4th and 5th ed was canceled out by a new army, new edition and a difficult senario which balanced out the fact that my opponant had played less Warhammer than me and only had the army box set to build his army from.

Kahadras

Kahadras
11-11-2007, 20:21
During turn 2 the pistoliers appear to run due to a proximity to a lost combat and then rally and immediately begin moving and shooting, they should not be able to do this.

Whoops. Never mind I'm sure we made some other mistakes along the way as well (I also forgot that my Pistoliers had musicans for a vast portion of the game and it took someone reading my army list to point that out to me).

Kahadras

sainthale1988
12-11-2007, 19:19
good game, well writting clear report, just to clarify but the HE player was using thier new rules right?

brambleten
12-11-2007, 19:58
nice report, nice to see an empire win

Kahadras
12-11-2007, 23:28
good game, well writting clear report, just to clarify but the HE player was using thier new rules right?

Yes.

nice report, nice to see an empire win

Thought I was in for a pasting on turn three. I'd lost my Battle wizard, handgunners and a unit of pistoliers and all I'd managed to do was kill a few spear elves. The thing which swung it for me was the failed charge on my Swordsmen as it brought his Silver Helms into short range of my HBVG which tore them to pieces. This forced my opponant to take drastic measures to try to kill them (running his mage out of the Spearmen to get LOS) which then got the Mage sniped and I was well back in the game.

Over all I though my army peformed as I had expected it too. My major dissapointment was the amount of leadership checks I failed. In total my opponant passed all but a couple (the main two failures being his second unit of archers that ran off the board denying him the last of his firepower)

Kahadras

Lucky24/7
13-11-2007, 10:38
Nice read. I think High Elves will be at there most potent at the 2k range tho. Just try and avoid him then ;)

Kahadras
13-11-2007, 10:48
Nice read. I think High Elves will be at there most potent at the 2k range tho. Just try and avoid him then

Personaly I don't think so. At 2000 points they will still be lacking the same things as at 1000 points i.e numbers. OK they get access to lord choices and the like but at the end of the day it still won't counter the HE weaknesses.

Kahadras

maze ironheart
13-11-2007, 13:06
Personaly I don't think so. At 2000 points they will still be lacking the same things as at 1000 points i.e numbers. OK they get access to lord choices and the like but at the end of the day it still won't counter the HE weaknesses.

Kahadras

Nice report just asking what strength is the fury of khain spell because if it's strength 4 he should not of been able to wound it as it is toughness 7.

Solonor
13-11-2007, 14:30
Nice report just asking what strength is the fury of khain spell because if it's strength 4 he should not of been able to wound it as it is toughness 7.

nope T7 can still be hurt with St4 on a 6 only T8 models are immune

Des
13-11-2007, 14:38
2 things about the HE list:

1. The wizard seems to have 2 arcane items (by your description he seems to have the jewel of the dusk and the seerwood staff).

2. Silver Helms are no longer able to take magic banners.

Kahadras
13-11-2007, 21:47
1. The wizard seems to have 2 arcane items (by your description he seems to have the jewel of the dusk and the seerwood staff).

2. Silver Helms are no longer able to take magic banners.

I wuz robbed!

No wait....

At the end of the day I'm not that worried. We both hadn't played in a long while and we were sure to get things wrong (I messed up with my pistoliers). I'll be sure to point out those things to him next time we play though.

Kahadras

sainthale1988
14-11-2007, 08:26
he wizards can have the jewel of dusk and seerwood staff as they are 15 and 35 points respectively thus not over 50pt limit, but yes the helms arn't alowed magic banners

Des
14-11-2007, 11:29
he wizards can have the jewel of dusk and seerwood staff as they are 15 and 35 points respectively thus not over 50pt limit, but yes the helms arn't alowed magic banners

Wizards may not have more than one Arcane item, with the exception of scrolls. I have not seen an exception to this in my HE book.

sainthale1988
14-11-2007, 11:34
realy? where does it say that?

Des
14-11-2007, 12:00
In the magic items section of the rulebook. You may not put two of any type on one character unless it is a scroll or scrolls on a wizard and another non-scroll item, or the specific item description says so (TK enchanted chariot icon for example).