PDA

View Full Version : 3RD try dwarfs 2250 points.

lector#1
12-11-2007, 09:10
ok been doing some thinking and im changing some of the units around.....

goes like this

king ulrik Praag
great axe
MRo kragg the grim
rune of fury
rune of cleaving
MRo gromril
rune of challenge

thane
great weapon
rune of fury
rune of fury

thane
shield
hand weapon
master rune of swiftness
rune of cleaving

runesmith
rune of balance
rune of spellbreaking

29 long beards
full command
rune of slowness

24 warriors
full command
shield

24 warriors
full command
shield

19 warriors
full command
shield

10 quarrelers
shield

10 quarrelers
shield

cannon
rune of reloading

cannon
rune of reloading

cannon
rune of reloading

thasts 2249 hows it sound?

thanx in advance for your advice

rexim
12-11-2007, 10:25
The lord wants shieldbearers and Ro stone instead of MRo Gromril.
You need to think over the runes on your thanes, Ro stone is one of the best runes there is. Your runesmith is good but maybe a GW or a shield.
3 cannons are not the most effeqtive way of using your points.

gazpage
12-11-2007, 10:54
Here are a few thoughts.

Lord
Agree with rexim, if you are going to take a lord, put him on shield bearers with rune of stone, much better than MroGromril alone. I think I replied to one of your lists before, but IMO dwarf characters should be geared for defence (except for Thane of Pain), rather than attack. Bear in mind that you will be striking last in nearly all cases. If you do want to go with a tooled up weapon, this is a good combo.

Thane 1
Can't take a great weapon with runes unless you take MRo Kragg the Grim. Either add this or drop the two runes. Bear in mind that this guy will have a 4+ armour save, so a fighty character or monster can waste him before he hits back.

Thane 2
Add RoFury here

Runesmith
Give him a shield, and maybe even a great weapon if you have the points.

Longbeards
This unit may be a little too big. It's a lot of points (assuming lord goes here?). I don't rate rune of slowness, too unreliable. Give them rune of battle, or the rune that doubles unit strength if you cut down the numbers.

Warriors
Warriors are great, but the special choices are amazing. Would try to have a unit of hammerers or ironbreakers. Slayers can be great for holding a flank.

Quarrelers
Good

Cannons
You can't have the same rune combination on these. Rune of Forging is generally a very good pick. Would suggest swapping some of these out for bolt throwers. You only really need cannons for monsters etc, so one should suffice.

Gaz

lector#1
12-11-2007, 11:24
ok that helps alot the reeason wy my lord isnt on shield bearers is because of 2 reasons 1 cant be bothered buying a new lord model from the gw site im trying to save money seeing as im buying new tv,xbox 360, and a full army of dwarves. and secondly i dont like the way it looks i prefer my lord on foot looks more realistic to me because i dont see why any one would carry some 1 into battle when they would do more on their own

gazpage
12-11-2007, 15:21
Those are pretty good reasons :D.

Would definitely go with what you think looks better! I think the shieldbearer lord looks great and very fluffy, but to each his own.

If I were you, and going to use this list, I would be tempted to try your list with the lord, but also try it with a thane general (possibly using the points saved for a BSB upgrade to one of the thanes) and see which works best. Guess you would have to cut down on the runes though, so may not be as effective.

Let us know how it goes.
Gaz

brambleten
12-11-2007, 17:53
you dont need the shields on the quarrelers
rune of forging on the cannons if you can drop something elsewhere. if playing lizardmen give one of the heros the rune which stops poisoned attacks, it annoys them :D

Prince Sairion
12-11-2007, 19:18
I like the basic idea of it. I still however (across the board) don't see why anyone needs a Dwarf Lord at 2250. It's not cheesy, wrong or overpowered, just a points sink at this size IMO.

I'd stick with just the three characters, tool them up a bit (thane of pain and a ws7 BSB) and use the other points on a unit of hammerers.

As for the cannons, take one, then two bolt throwers and an organic gun. Gives you an answer to everything.

And I'd keep the shields on the xbows.

Longbeards, knock 9 minimum off the size. Think about a single unit of thunderers.

AFoolProofPlan
13-11-2007, 00:57
What do you guys mean by Thane of Pain? I searched it but couldn't find it anywhere.

As for the list, I think a unit of Ironbreakers would make a nice solid anchor in your lines
You already have 3 units of Warriors, why not swap one unit out for Ironbreakers.

Also I'd definitely consider Thunderers, and an Organ gun.
Quarrellers are nice, but won't to much against anything with half decent armour saves.

3 cannons might be a bit of overkill. I personally prefer to take 2 cannons over a cannon, and 2 bolt throwers, but I find I have better luck with Cannons than any other warmachine.

lector#1
13-11-2007, 02:18
ok the reason why i have my lord so expensive is i have alwaysed had a big point lord its more for the fluff and for local fun games we play fluff because he is the king of my own guilded dwarfs and he needs to be able to prove it
(story is getting written as i speak) and secondly because when we have character bashes in my gaming group its with the most expensive lord you can field i used to do lord of tzeentch on dragon withh 100pts of magic items it was fun but got boring after a while so now im doing a dwarf army and i want to use the tooled up lord (and in one of the character bashes i used him exatly as he is there and i loved him him and the 29 long beards took out 5 chosen knights) i laughed for 20 minutes that day.

AFoolProofPlan
13-11-2007, 04:15
I do the same thing with my Lord. He's usually around 270 ~ 304 pts. I would never do it for a serious list, but for casual game against friends. Most definitely.
Nothing's more satisfying than seeing a single Stuntie taking out an Ogre Tyrant and his Irongut Bodyguards

lector#1
13-11-2007, 10:38
is it better to stick my lord in a unit of hammerers/ironbreakers/or longbeards which is the best unit for him???

gazpage
13-11-2007, 12:41
Usually hammerers is the best to make use of the bodyguard rule. Don't have the book in front of me, but adding the rune that allows you to take one break test on 1d6. Combined with the MRoChallenge on the lord.

Amusing to get attacked by hard cavalry unit, say new dragon princes with a tough character.

-DPs charge in, you make challenge with your lord. Admittedly they rack up quite a few kills, but you butcher their champion. Now you have to make a a saving throw on 9 (stubborn) on 1d6 (other rune).
-Challenge again, tying up and (hopefully) munching their character and DPs can now only hit on their lower strength.
-S6 GW hit back, and you win.

Nice.

Also, would definitely keep shields on your missile troops. Most enemy fliers (barring monsters and pegasus cavalry), will bounce right off these guys.

AFoolProofPlan,

Thane of pain is a thane with MRoSwiftness, Rune of Fury and Rune of Cleaving. 4 ASF attacks at S5. IMO best point for point character in the game and great for stopping charges.

maze ironheart
13-11-2007, 12:51
Just to point out you can't have the same rune combo on a warmachine as it breaks 1 of the laws of rune making.Why not drop the thane with the 2 runes of fury and a cannon for a BSB with master rune of stromni red beard all units recieve +1 to combat if the BSB is within 12 of them then your dwarfs will be hard to budge in combat.

lector#1
16-11-2007, 06:09
so how many hammerers would be a good size i wil have them in ranks of 6

beezlebubbles
16-11-2007, 17:41
you dont need the shields on the quarrelers
rune of forging on the cannons if you can drop something elsewhere. if playing lizardmen give one of the heros the rune which stops poisoned attacks, it annoys them :D

Of course you should keep the shields im actually a dwarf player and find them invauble there is nothing more helpful when you have a 4+ save in combat and a 5+ save normally in keeping them alive rather then just a 6+.

beezlebubbles
16-11-2007, 17:44
i would also say have at least 3 ranks without characters in no matter how big your ranks are as you are automatically getting 3 for combat res and so it is a lot less likely that you will lose espically with runic banners added on.

static grass
16-11-2007, 21:10
Thane of pain is a thane with MRoSwiftness, Rune of Fury and Rune of Cleaving. 4 ASF attacks at S5. IMO best point for point character in the game and great for stopping charges.

This is my thane of pain too. The ASF means he can take the sting out of the charge so you can get stuck in with the hammerers.