PDA

View Full Version : The Adeptus Mechanicus Project

Pages : [1] 2 3

The Hoff
11-09-2005, 06:33
Hi there,

Congratulations! you have found the temporary home of the Adeptus Mechanicus project. This is where I will be posting updates on the progress of what I hope will be a 2000pt Adeptus Mechanicus army (using Codex: IG).

Current status (18th October): In case anyone is wondering why there have been no updates, I am finishing off Uni for the semester and am up to my neck in assignments (all of which I should have done earlier). Project will go full steam ahead as soon as I deal with real-life.

MISSION STATEMENT
To create a fully playable Adpetus Mechanicus army, incorporating as many of their goodies as I possible can. I want to have 1750pts ready for my local tournament in June 2006 (G'Con Lismore Australia).

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2807/techpriest0vk.jpg

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/6550/admechwip0pz.jpg

Plasma death for the foes of the Omnissiah.
http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/153/plasmagunner3ie.jpg

This is the prototype model for the Praetorians, in future they I will probably give them some sort of chest armour for a heavier appearance
http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/2884/praetoriancopy0fv.jpg

I estimate the army to be about 1% complete at this stage.
Current progress
1 Sergent
4 troopers
1 Plasma gunner
1 Techpriest Enginseer
1 proto-type Praetorian
1/2 finsihed Heavy Weapon platfrom
1/2 finished jetbike

Lascannons and Autocannons teams will be mounted on small tracked platforms, Heavy bolters teams will be modelled as servitors (with the second man in the team being a little cherub type thing humping ammo on its back).

Two basilisks will be included in the finished army. I have considered a few ways to 'tech them up'. The first possibility is to order FWs Armageddon pattern Basilisk, costly, but looks very nice. However to make a more original model I think I will modify the standard kit myself. The crew will be replaced by servitors, and a loading servo arm will be mounted onto the hull.
Banks of computer screens from the Land Raider interior will also be added.
A few extra cables here and there, and some AM symbols painted on and they should look the part.

ARMY LIST

I will post a link to a WIP army list soon.

The Tech Magos and his bodyguard will be represented using the rules for a DH Inquisitor Lord.

Thoughts on Doctrines:

Update: The list I was previously pretty sure about is starting to bore me, so I was thinking of trying motorised organisation. Nice and fluffy.

Abhuman doctrines: A recent WD contained Chapter approved rules for abhumans. One of these doctrines (slave levy) grants models the 'feel no pain' special rule, at the cost that they become 'slow and purposeful'. Sounds pperfect for Ad mech troopers in my opinion. The 4+ chance of getting up nicely represents hits deflecting of bionics ect. And slow and purposeful fits my idea of the lumbering but unstoppable onslaught of the Skitarii.

In my current list I have not used doctrines. This may strike people as a strange choice, but after considering all the options I decided there was nothing I really wanted badly enough.
Carapace armour and bionics, whilst fluffy for AM, add a fair bit to the squad cost. I am a big believer in weight of numbers when it comes to IG, so I would rather take more troops than the 4+ Save, which can negated by many weapons.

Mechanised and Grenadier formations are both options I considered, however once again point costs drove me away. The main use of a mechanised list is for 'drive-by' type tactics, where the troops rarely dismount. I figure that Im putting so much effort into converting the troopers, I want them on the table all the time. Footslogging AM may strike some people as strange, but this is likely to be a army primed for defense and shooting, so lack of mobility is regrettable but not critical.

Please feel free to post suggestions, or shots of your own Mechanicus conversions, and to discuss all modelling aspects of this most high and mysterious order.

deus ex mortis
11-09-2005, 06:41
those look AMAZING!! i dont know which color to go with though because they both look so good

-Ed
11-09-2005, 06:55
You, my fine sir are simply a god. This pretty sums up everything I've ever wanted to do for an Ad Mech army and never been able to, leagues better than Brian Cook's Ad Mech Guard due to pop up next WD.

The Hoff
11-09-2005, 07:00
*blushing* Thanks guys,

Since you like them, Ill make sure to keep you updated with my progress on the army.
The Praetorians are the next thing Im going to try (they will be represented by allied GK rules).

The question stands though, gold or black?

edit- If you have something similar in mind Ed, the legs are from the High Elf archers box, the shoulder plates and lap armour are plasticard. The next one I make Ill take unpainted pics, so you can see what is what.

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
11-09-2005, 07:13
The black looks so amazing....i have to do this! Ive always wanted a skitarii force, but the cadian models did not look right for it, and im not exactly a conversion god so that was out of the question, but these, these are so simple i have to do them!

The black is very, very good. Gives them a grim feel...makes 'em look more ruthless.

Hurry up and post them will all their appendages!

EDIT: What are the heads made from?

The Hoff
11-09-2005, 07:18
The heads are mostly green stuff, the one on the right is based on the cadian sergent head (I had to shave it down a bit so the hood didnt make it look to big. The gold one is actually an bare Eldar guardian head, but seeing as it was all getting covered it didnt matter.

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
11-09-2005, 07:30
Oh god....you just slayed me. Ive never greenstuffed before, and im scared too.

If you could green stuff a few heads like that for me (like 60 of them) i would pay you. Handsomely.

Also if you could convert up 60 guys i would buy them from you. For an even handsomer price. And im being completely serious.

The Hoff
11-09-2005, 07:50
Well, when I complete my own army I would have no problem doing some on comission.
Though by the time I get these finished GW will probably have released their own ;)

Heres the plan/concept I used for the Skittari, plus my rough concept for the Praetorians. It is based on an Ad.Mech trooper illustrated in the 4th Ed. rule book

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/8019/concepts3ue.jpg

Other ideas Im running through my head, all the heavy weapons teams will be based on little tracked chassis (like the old rapier model). I plan to use 1/35 scale German 'Kettenkrad' kits as the basis for these, with a hardwired targeting servitor and a loading/ tech servitor.

Im also trying think how I could 'tech-up' the standard Leman Russ kit.

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
11-09-2005, 07:59
Hurry up and finish man! I want an army of these guys as bad as a crack addict wants crack rocks!

old guard
11-09-2005, 08:05
Those chap, are simply superb, but which to choose? Well my gut thought on seing them, before reading your question, was officer and trooper. So yeah why not use both.
Do you intend to go servitor heavy in your army? and if so where does you preference lie, the newer space marime ones or the older inquistor/SW ones?
Good luck. I loook forward to seing more.

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
11-09-2005, 08:16
Hmm....i think old guard is right. Using the gold for the sergeants and the black for the troopers seems like a cool idea to add some character (even though this army really doesnt need character, its already got tons just looking at the models).

Think star wars...the clone commanders have different colors on their armour, and that distinguishes them from the others. Since your army will be all androids, it would help if you could distinguish the sergeant from the regular troopers.

I might have to try this think myself...ive got all the components lying around, but i have no clue how to greenstuff it. If you could provide a picture of a greenstuffed head that isnt painted or primed, that would be awesome. Even better, could you post a green-stuffing tutorial? I would be in you debt forever if you could. I know it takes time to type it up, and take all the pics, etc, but it would be such a great help to me!

TomKamakazi
11-09-2005, 08:20
Those are spectacular! Keep us posted on your development please.

I'm going to agree with Old Guard here, the gold looks like an officer's garb compared to the more 'mundane' black.

If I had to choose one I'd say the black, because gold might make the models look a little bit too shiny with the metalic arms, faces and other what-nots I'm sure you have planned.

athamas
11-09-2005, 08:22
i wouls say deff. go with the black one!

any chance you could do some WIP shots of how you make the hease, as they are brilliant!

dogfender2
11-09-2005, 08:30
Those are some really nice conversions there. Mind telling us what 'head' you used for the one on the left? I think black would go better for an overall uniform look, though an uniform look would seem to suit them nicely. You could do black for troops and gold for srgs.

The Hoff
11-09-2005, 08:41
Well seeing as the consensus is forming for black troopers and gold sergents, I think Ill run with that, it also saves me repainting the gold one.

@Old Guard, I have a few servitors already done from my old Daemonhunters force, so they will go in, basicly Ill buy up every servitor I can find. Even the sages from the retinues will look good as targeters for the heavy weapon platforms.

My Magos is going to represented by an allied Inq. Lord, so he will receive a retinue almost exlcusivly made of servitors (btw- I plan on using the mail order exclusive Tech marine to base the Magos).

Im starting another of the Skittari tonight, so ill get some step by step photos as I go. Should be up in a day or so.

A few other ideas Im having,

Imperial jetbikes using the roughrider ruleset or Robot cohorts using the ogryn rules (model wise, ill replace the Commisar who leads them with an enginseer).

-Ed
11-09-2005, 10:07
While the MO techmarine looks ok, I'd reccomend using the forgeworld titan tech priest here. (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/amtp.htm)

mirakel_jocke
11-09-2005, 10:07
Dude! This is amazing! Those models are excellent conversions and are painted superbly. I'd say go for the black stuff for thetroopers and the gold stuff for the seargents and stuff. One thing though, use the little red line in the white part of the hood on all of them, it looks better then just the plain white.

/Mirakel_Jocke

Yodhrin
11-09-2005, 11:09
Stunnin'. Really though, that's some excellent work, especially the GS'ed heads.

Hmm, think Ill bookmark this thread for some point in the far, far future when my GS skills get that good :D

Guilliman
11-09-2005, 11:23
I agree with the black, it gives the dark feel of the Adeptus Mechanicus an it is a part of its colour scheme (right?). And paint the red line on all the models' hoods like Mirakel_ Jocke mentioned.

Great, GREAT, GREAT!!! models by the way. Love the heads, they are so.....so Adeptus Mechanicus!

Lord-Warlock
11-09-2005, 11:30
Holy wienerschnitzel! Those are quite simply amazing!

Colour scheme... Honestly I think both are looking superb, but if I would be forced to choose I'd say gold. Don't know why, just appeals to me.

The Hoff
11-09-2005, 11:33
For those who wanted to see WIP...the next one underway.

http://img369.imageshack.us/img369/5491/wip6fr.jpg

Having searched high and low I realised I dont have any Necron bits at the moment, which means I have to go shopping before I can finish these boys. Ill do that early this week.

For the hood markings mentioned above, I think I may use them as another sign of rank, so the sergents (gold) may stay unique from the others.
In addition, for the sarge I was thinking of mounting his las-pistol shoulder cannon style, that way he can carry a big tech axe across his body with both hands.

Still trying to choose what backpacks to use, Karksin ones are ideal, but expensive. Ive got heaps of spare marine ones about,so I may convert some of them.

The forgeworld tech priest is a damn sexy model, I suppose it would be a shame not to include him somehow, do you think he looks....beefy enough to be the commander?

edit-spelling and grammer

immortal99
11-09-2005, 11:36
While the MO techmarine looks ok, I'd reccomend using the forgeworld titan tech priest here. (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/amtp.htm)

i agree with ed the tech prist would look better. go with black and wow that work looks amazing :D it makes mine look like dog mess.....well thats going a bit far :D but you get the idea

EDIT: yes go with tech preist go with tech preist :D

Yodhrin
11-09-2005, 11:39
Just a quick point, slightly petty but still.

Perhaps you should carefuly scrape off the Imperial Eagle from the left chestplate segment and replace it with a cog or skull? Covering the entire left plate in a nice chunky cog would look very classy.

EDIT: Oh, and just an idea but you might like it. Seeing as you're doing a sculpt over all their mouths, how about an AdMech version of that genestealer head with the tendrils? Sculpt it with the eyesockets sewn shut and have a big cluster of "sensor" tendrils where his mouth should be or somesuch.

Shadowheart
11-09-2005, 11:43
Those are some impressive models. That's a standard I'd strive for. Kudos to you if you finish an army like that.

As for the colour of the armour, it depends on what style you're after. The black looks clean and "tight" (I hope I have my slang down), the brass has more of an archaic and typical 40K feel about it. Me personally, being a John Blanche fan, I'd go with the brass all the way, and use no blue whatsoever when painting.

I suppose you've already kept the Necromunda pit slave models in mind? Those might provide some useful bits, particularly the seperate close combat weapons like the rock drill (as per your sketch). Which I suppose would just count as close combat weapons. Plus there was a Necro bounty hunter with a seperate bionic arm (holding a chainsword).

To tech-up the Russ, I'd focus on the turret and sponsons. Replacing those with admech-looking things would change the look of the vehicle dramatically. The sponsons might be replaced by remote-operated weapon mounts akin to the ones on Space Marine tanks, with a liberal amount of cables and ammo feeds hanging out. Not sure about the turret, but perhaps that too could be replaced by a remotely (or automatically) operated unit, again like the ones on marine tanks (like the Razorback or Whirlwind), except of course with a bigger gun.

Gregorus
11-09-2005, 11:45
this is simply superb

thanks to you I finally decided to start a skitarii force myself

is it all right to you if I borrow some of your ideas?

Yodhrin
11-09-2005, 11:46
To tech-up the Russ, I'd focus on the turret and sponsons. Replacing those with admech-looking things would change the look of the vehicle dramatically. The sponsons might be replaced by remote-operated weapon mounts akin to the ones on Space Marine tanks, with a liberal amount of cables and ammo feeds hanging out. Not sure about the turret, but perhaps that too could be replaced by a remotely (or automatically) operated unit, again like the ones on marine tanks (like the Razorback or Whirlwind), except of course with a bigger gun.

On that point, it might be worth picking up a few of the Forgeworld Plasma Destroyer Exterminators. That's the sort of thing you would expect to see in a Skittari force.

The Hoff
11-09-2005, 11:59
thanks to you I finally decided to start a skitarii force myself

is it all right to you if I borrow some of your ideas?

Go for it, just make sure you show us what you come up with :)

Im liking your ideas on the Russ Shadowheart, I have a pair of pred sponsoons to spare (bought the Pred kit to get a better turret for a Chimera), and I have always been a big fan of hanging ammo belts and exposed cables.

The Plasma destroyer is another good option, are those generally legal for tournament play? I know our local one allows IA units, but the ones I plan on going away to may be stricter.

malika
11-09-2005, 12:23
What about some more high tech looking weapons:

multiple missle launcher as a rocketlauncher:
Missle launchers: please make them more high tech looking, perhaps even like multiple missle launchers. You could make one of these by taking a heavy bolter. Then remove the normal ammo box thing and put the missle ammo thing from the 2nd edition plastic missle launcher or find an alternative for that.
Then remove the barrel of theheavy bolter and put one of those Cyclon missle launchers from the Terminator armour on there.

What about Ogryn Servitors? Use the Ogres with those cannons from WFB Ogre kingdoms. :evilgrin:

tzeentchgiant
11-09-2005, 12:41
Go with the black, other than that ................................ *slips off chair in your superiority induced stupor*

*wakes up*

*sees models*

*slips back into stupor*

Really, those are fantastic, one model is amazing, I'd be knoced unconcious by a whole squad, and an army, well, that's a danger to my health.

Truely astounding.

TG

malika
11-09-2005, 12:43
check this out!!! :o :o :o

http://www.pbase.com/tepoc/image/45352480

http://www.pbase.com/tepoc/ig_skittari&page=all

Might give you some ideas for warmachines!!!

tzeentchgiant
11-09-2005, 12:46
Malika, are those yours?

*slips into stupor*

Not again....

They are brilliant, I'd love to see Hoff do something like that (hint hint Hoff, do something like that)

Very cool, and so original.

TG

CELS
11-09-2005, 12:47
To be frank, those are the best Tech Guard I've ever seen. I'll be sure to steal your idea ;)

So I'm guessing those are High Elf legs, right? What did you use for the shoulder pads? Did you buy some plastic tubes or something, and cut them in half? Oh, and did you use green stuff casting for these models, or is it all hand sculpted?

Again, awesome work. My hat's off to you.

Oh, and I think you should use the black carapace for the troops. Maybe the gold one for officers, as others have suggested. While the red/gold looks awesome up close, I have a feeling it would look incredibly garish with a whole army like that. I just don't think it would be as striking as red/black.

The Hoff
11-09-2005, 12:50
Oooo :eek: , Knights.

Now those are some serious kit bashes, especially the one with the Hydra auto-cannons, nice indeed.

Id love to see the VDR he uses for them.

edit- ^^ all hand sculpted GS at this point, I have a feeling Ill get tired of it before too long.
Here a legal question for anyone in the know, what would GW think if I made a cast of a few of these and did them in resin (for my own use, and comission painting). Im guessing thats the sort of thing they would be quite strict on.

malika
11-09-2005, 12:52
Malika, are those yours?

*slips into stupor*

Not again....

They are brilliant, I'd love to see Hoff do something like that (hint hint Hoff, do something like that)

Very cool, and so original.

TG

I wish they were mine :eek:

New Cult King
11-09-2005, 13:25
Holy Moly :eek:

I agree: use the black for the troops, and the gold for the officers.

Please tell me how you highlighted the black...

malika
11-09-2005, 13:38
Im very curious about the arms and the weapons of your troopers.'''

Perhaps you could better make the bionics from plastic card, or just heavily convert Necron parts (lots of greenstuff) to ass hydrolics and "goth" them up.

Zark the Damned
11-09-2005, 14:11
Those look really, really good!

I agree with the consnsus on this - use black for the troops, and gold for the sergeants.

RandomZombie
11-09-2005, 14:16
What kind of plasticard and how did you do the plasticard on these guys?

The Hoff
11-09-2005, 14:26
I promise a full tutorial once Ive got some arms on them.

The outer (smaller) parts of the shoulder plates are plasticard tube, sliced in half. The inner plates are made from .05mm plasticard, which I got in a 2mm strip. The front gets glued down, once thats dry I glue down the back, the card is thin enough to bend itself.

StugMeister
11-09-2005, 15:13
I'd go for the black armour, maybe reserve the gold for command and elites?

BTW - FANTASTIC looking stuff. Great design work too.

Agnostos
11-09-2005, 19:48
that must be some of the best minis ever! sell them to GW so that they cab make some for us! hahaha. i JUST love them!!

amazing

baneful
12-09-2005, 00:31
"the hoff is our omnissiah, perfection is machine incarnate. dues ex mechanica."

great work mate, as on the armour bronze or black. either way they look great.

i await for more updates

shutupSHUTUP!!!
12-09-2005, 00:40
Stunning work, I look forwards to your future updates.

TomKamakazi
12-09-2005, 05:07
edit- ^^ all hand sculpted GS at this point, I have a feeling Ill get tired of it before too long.
Here a legal question for anyone in the know, what would GW think if I made a cast of a few of these and did them in resin (for my own use, and comission painting). Im guessing thats the sort of thing they would be quite strict on.

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know for sure, but you could probably get away with casting parts without a worry. You might even be able to do whole models for personal use, but you'd be on very, very shaky ground if you were taking commissions on them or using them to make money.

Pillx
12-09-2005, 06:58
Nice job! I think the black offers better contrast than the gold but they both look very good. The two of schemes next to each other gives less of "the assembly line feel" as if they were tooled up from the local guild, I think.

Ya. I'm not a lawyer either but it should be safe to make castings for personal use.

Sojourner
12-09-2005, 09:20
Black. Gold is so overused in 40k.

malika
12-09-2005, 10:10
Look at what I found on Repent.be:
http://www.repent.be/WIPPHOTOS/WIP01AOUT2005.htm

The Hoff
12-09-2005, 11:36
Some good tricks in there, the guys sculpting skills are very nice indeed.
Is there any way I could get his email address (I hope he speaks English), I wouldnt mind sending him my pic.
How did you find those btw?, I have tryed to search for Ad.Mech pics so many times with no result.

Today I ordered the tracked chassis for my first heavy weapons platfrom, assuming it arrives this week, I can get one done over the weekend.

WIP on squad member 4, note the exposed bionic leg (the foot isnt finished yet).

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/944/wip24wd.jpg

malika
12-09-2005, 11:49
Is there any way I could get his email address (I hope he speaks English), I wouldnt mind sending him my pic.
I think you should look around on repent.be to find his email adress

How did you find those btw?, I have tryed to search for Ad.Mech pics so many times with no result
I found a picture of a terminator librarian on B&C which was on www.repent.be which led me to find this mechanicus stuff :chrome:

Today I ordered the tracked chassis for my first heavy weapons platfrom, assuming it arrives this week, I can get one done over the weekend.
Perhaps you could use those tracks also to create Praetorians?

About your new model, prehaps try to add an bionic eye to the head or something, it kinda looks very agile and Eldar to me ;)

Guilliman
12-09-2005, 11:53
Perhaps this can be of help: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83501&hl=golden+demon

The Hoff
12-09-2005, 11:57
haha, no the head isnt finished yet. I think Ill put another pair of large lenses on this one, Ilike the insect like look it gives.

Funny you mention Praetorians,
heres (http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=32502) the kit I ordered. It comes with two tracked chassis, the larger will be for the heavy weapons...and the smaller one...you guessed it, is going to be a Praetorian base.

The heavy weapons one will need a fair bit of work, but the smaller one, I can almost just glue the servitor body straight onto the top.

I got a third one painted, cant wait to get some Necron arms.
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1120/wip38ml.jpg

Sojourner
12-09-2005, 11:58
Oh my god. Sinaer, marry me.

Incredible site, incredible conversions.

malika
12-09-2005, 12:05
Perhaps you could also use the Ork tracks? :)

And about the arms, they shouldnt all be bionic, also try to make a bunch of robed armed or bare arms with partial bionics.

I like the idea of a rocketlauncher which is carried around like the scout heavy bolter (just read my older post on the multiple misslelauncher) and then have a loader with it.

What about robots of the Legio Cybernetica? Just let them count as Ogryns or something?

The Hoff
12-09-2005, 12:18
I certainly agree that all the arms shouldn't be bionic.
The Cadian one basicly don't fit at all, because most of them have their weapons shouldered, which wont fit with the armour. Im looking for an alternative, basicly any human arm thats holding the gun at the hip will work. I might use Catachan arms, and conceal the ****ty muscle detail with robes of some sort.

Im liking the idea for the rocket team, it would be cool to have the loading servitors festooned with rockets, bent under the weight of them all. However I think ill be going mainly for Lascannons and heavy bolters in terms of heavy weapons.

Combat robots is something I definatly am thinking of (mentioned it early on), especially because the commisar leading the ogryns could be replaced with a tech-priest, and it would all be very fluffy :)
It may sound strange but when thinking of the robot, the first thing that comes to mind are the big shiny droids from SW Ep2, replace their blasters with storm bolter and you would have some sweet Legio cybernetica.

Man, my head is hurting just thinking of all the stuff I want to do in this army.

edit: spelling and grammer

blacksmith
12-09-2005, 12:19
They're amazing! Absolutely fantastic! Id say use the black for normal troopers and the gold for units with rank. I like your track idea for the heavy weapons troopers. I put mine on 4 spider-esque legs in my IW army.

Yodhrin
12-09-2005, 12:29
Hoff, your painting is excellent, I really love the rich red. When you do a tutorial, would you mind detailing the process you use to achieve such smooth transitions between the highlights and shade?

Luke
12-09-2005, 12:53
oh my. those are absolutely awesome! love everything! all the colours, everything! keep up the good work son, you got skills.

malika
12-09-2005, 13:00
Perhaps an idea:
http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99111399007&orignav=300808

See the gun this tech priest is holding? :evilgrin:

You might freak up a bunch of tech priests using the new Tech Marine backpack (the one with all those arms on it), what about that Patrician Gideon Catallus: Spyre Patriach model from Necromunda: http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060599149&orignav=300808

Aurelien
12-09-2005, 13:11
I think your work is fantastic.

With regards to casting, four your own use techically (as I understand it) is a little shaky, but I doubt there is much that could be done. Selling is illegal. Whether or not that stops you is a different story. ;)

For the Russ sponsons, might I suggest this: Use the servitor from the Throne of judgement to man each weapon. Rather than have it hardwired, have a servitor in a cupola/firing pit on each side, firing the weapon.

CaputMortuum
12-09-2005, 13:22
Well done, Cog Boy!
I'm praying the Omnissiah to bless you with strength and tenacity of a Land Raider.
Let us see more of your skill and talent.

caput

malika
12-09-2005, 13:29
oh that is a very cool idea indeed! :D

What about heavier servitors based on the Mega Armoured Ork models? There were a bunch of the GW site, but look at these by Migsula:
picture 1 (http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/28409619)
picture 2 (http://www.pbase.com/migsula/image/28409643)

The Hoff
12-09-2005, 13:39
I do love that =I= scale tech priest.

That mega-armoured servitor is giving me ideas for the praetorians, not so much the legs, but the way the servitor and weapons are intergrated, has a real techy practical look to it.

Sorry I got nothing new to show atm, once the tracks I ordered arrived, I should have some pretty things do post.

edit: When I do the tutorial I can certainly include a section on doing the red.

malika
12-09-2005, 13:43
Are you also going to play with this army or is it purely a modelling project?

The Hoff
12-09-2005, 13:51
I certainlyhopeto play with it, aiming for 2000pts.

Once Ive made everything, ill figure out what is what rules wise. I think the Praetorians will be the only tricky thing to classify, maybe Allied PA Grey Knight rules?

malika
12-09-2005, 13:55
What about Electro Priests and stuff like that? Those might be some very crazy models I guess :D

What about Chimaira's with plugged in crews? Perhaps a servitor sticking out of the hatch shooting the stubber, or perhaps even more intense, a servitor with an integrated weapons-system on his arms. :chrome:

Perhaps another crazy unit might be Tech Cultists, these would mainly be cannonfodder who want to die in the name of the Machine God, similar to how the Word Bearers use their Cultists. :evilgrin:

Crozius Arcanum!
12-09-2005, 13:59
Your work is simply AMAZING!

May i ask which Doctorines are you planning to give them (other then Techpriests)?
And from which plastic kit do you get their robes?

The Hoff
12-09-2005, 14:07
Doctrines, very good question.

Im only just starting to play around with a list, heres what Im thinking so far,

storm-troopers (I think their highly effective)
tech-priests
Ogryns (combat robots)
carapace armour
cyber-enhancement (nice and fluffy)

Robes are high elf archers.

malika
12-09-2005, 14:10
Check these doctrines we use at the Anargo Sector Project for our Protean Tech Guard: link to thread (http://anargo-sector.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=295)

Marty D
12-09-2005, 14:46
how about old school weapons? rapier laser destroyers, mole mortars and thudd guns - i remember servitors could operate thudd guns and the like in an old edition.

x-esiv-4c
12-09-2005, 15:22
Holy hell those are simply brilliant!

asmodai_dark86
12-09-2005, 15:28
I have to disagree with the gold only on the sargeants. This is a mechanicus based force after all - they'd whack anyone in any metals they had!

Do it squad variations - black, gold and silver, and have the leaders robes in an inversed scheme (so white with red trim in stead).

This of course depends on how many of these puppies you were going to have, and whilst I dont envy you if your planning a lot, I admire you for giving it a go, and will certainly trying that tonight. Although my sculpting is practically non existant so I'm going to use a wood elf hooded head instead hopfully.

Lasguns - why not try getting the old forgeworld lasguns?
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_IMPERIAL_ARMOUR_ACCESSORIES_19 .html

Bit costly like, but they will look very unique - I've never seen a guard unit tooled up with these and the fact that they look more like boltguns lends itself to the idea of them being more tech-based then your average regiment.

If you skills are up to it (and I think they are) you could get away with necron arms on all of them - just robe them up so its mostly hidden, and use gloves on a few (I watched star wars episode 5 right, bionic hands covered in gloves is still fresh in the brain, and no one can tell the difference!)

Theres a few things I hope you do with this army. The combat robots led by a magos could go very wrong, but I have faith in your skills to get it right.
I hope you try the rocket loader thing, that sounds pretty cool.

How about this though.
Use an ogre bull (or 6...), whack enough cabling on the fella and have him pulling an earth shaker platform. Gives you some artillary that hits - like they've dragged it from the forge world walls or something.

Oh and dont go for an all servitior kind of thing with the Magos' retrinue. Have some apprentice adepts, servo skulls, and definately try to make a servo-skull-scribe like in the daemonhunters book.

Sorry my writings become slightly confused, must stop looking at funky models.

Wulf
12-09-2005, 16:03
This is by far the best IG I've seen, period. Not only the best Skiitari but the best looking IG of all. Stunning. Simply stunning. :)

For Russes: Depending on what your aiming for. You could make walkers, abit like the ones already posted. Based on the Defiler one can build good looking walkers. The mail gun mounted on the hull/body. Sponsons on each side and the hullmounted wpn put either under or on top of the body of the walker. Another option is to build a jawa land crawler type of vehichle. But that would be almost all from scratch. I agree with what was said on using servitor operated weapons like on the throne of judgement.

Oh, and keep the sergeants and entire command squads in gold armour.

Please stick with it and finish this. This will end up as one of the best 40k armies ever. I'm so impressed - both with oncept and execution. Keep it up and good luck!

/Wulf

EffCee
12-09-2005, 16:44
Your painting and GS skills are superb, I take my hat off to you. As an army this could look absolutely fantastic. Definate Golden Demon material. I am deeply, deeply envious.
Good Stuff.

Brother Smith
12-09-2005, 19:13
For heavy support you have to have legio cybernetika ROBOTS!! They are the only true robots permitted in Imperial Society!

Edit: Oh, and how about having different squads in different primary colours? Most AM fluff it from RT era, and I remember AM pics from then with AM units wearing blue, and that the main colour or the AM was white, and finally, that skitarii / AM units that are individual to a forgeworld or it's subsector can quite often have different emblems and colours, so a forgeworld might have it's skitarii all in blue and white instead of red and white.

Just ideas...

Gregorus
12-09-2005, 20:38
for the russ, you can go the automated way, replacing the whole turret with just the chamber, an auto-loader, ammo feed and some wires/pipes on a rotative base, something like heavy-weapon-team autocannon on steroids

Captain Brown
12-09-2005, 20:40
I certainly agree that all the arms shouldn't be bionic.
The Cadian one basicly don't fit at all, because most of them have their weapons shouldered, which wont fit with the armour. Im looking for an alternative, basicly any human arm thats holding the gun at the hip will work. I might use Catachan arms, and conceal the ****ty muscle detail with robes of some sort.

Well another range of plastic parts is the Mordheim sprue (Empire Militia), while they are medieval in look, they are far less bulky than the Catachan and should not pose as much of a problem as the Cadian arms. The sprue also has a variety of heads you can convert and many of them are without helmets. With some robed sleeves added they can fill some of the non-bionic components without making all your troopers look like they are straight from a bodybuilding competition.

Beautiful work you have done so far. I do not know how you are going to sustain yourself for a 2000 point force, but if you can it will be one of those "gets featured in White Dwarf" versions. :)

Captain Brown

malika
12-09-2005, 20:56
What about sentinels and other warmachines armed with plasmaweapons? So instead of a Sentinel with an autocannon (or whatever it has) give it a plasmacannon :evilgrin:

You could also include Land Speeders in your force since the Adeptus Mechanicus also uses those! :D Same goes for Land Raiders and Rhinos (Rhinos are more common than Chimairas in the Imperium anyways)

What about some psycher unit, all modified with bionics and all that?

Marty D
12-09-2005, 23:27
cant ad mech use anti grav technology still too? i know they stopped using it widely because it was difficult to repair and maintain but im sure they would have a few for special occasions and such

malika
12-09-2005, 23:32
Well the "uncommonness" of technology in the Imperium is something that doesnt always make sense, I mean the Imperium is able to produce high tech stuff, Terminator Armour, plasma weapons, space ships, and yes anti grav tech are still being produced, however they are expensive to produce and certain elements are probably rare so they would be produced in smaller numbers, however I dont believe that the Imperium is unable to produce high tech goods...

GuRu
13-09-2005, 00:07
For some quick and easy partially cybernetic heads, check out the van saar head sprue:
http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Individual&code=99060599137&orignav=300817&ParentID=253176&GameNav=300808&ItemNav=303929

asmodai_dark86
13-09-2005, 00:43
WOW they were sneaked out a bit.

Blood WD hidding the good stuff

Anyway I like the idea of the auto loaded - definately do it on... well... all the tanks if you can.

I remember seeing a flipped leman russ awhile back where the gun was mounted on the rear (might be forgeworld). Seeing as though there'd be no crew its literally a gun on wheels!

Okay I'm going to stop giving suggestions and ideas now. This guy is making something phenonminal and I dont want him stopping out of the sheer fear that this task is going to eat up his life.
However, if I were you, I'd finish a platoon in time for your local games day next year and go get yourself an open trophy or a slayer sword - which ever makes you happier :D

The Hoff
13-09-2005, 13:16
The WW2 kits I ordered arrived today.

I very pleased with thelittle tracked base on the right, perfect size to do praetorians (fits nicely on a 40mm base).
The larger chassis for the HW platforms was OK, but rather narrow. Ill do one up using it and see how it looks, you can all be the judges.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/7549/wip40cv.jpg

The servitors area older ones frommy Daemonhunters, ill touch them up for this army.

Melchor
13-09-2005, 13:30
The Hoff... You are now officially one of my heroes.
Those are about the coolest models I have ever seen. If you can do an entire army up to that standard, eternal praise and glory will be yours.

I second the Van Saar head sprue by the way. They've got lots of techy bits and are a lot more common than the bare heads on the Cadian sprue.

Keep us updated!

CaputMortuum
13-09-2005, 13:33
Nice, Kettenkrad looks good.

I've been salivating over the same kit to make me some Cadian Roughriders.
What do you think, is it too big? Which one is bigger, Kettenkrad or ork warbikes tracksection?

caput

StugMeister
13-09-2005, 13:43
Nice use of the Goliath there! I can't wait to see how the Praetorians come out.

The Hoff
13-09-2005, 13:52
The Ketternkrad is about the same length as an ork war-track, but much narrower. Too narrow in fact, I think ill either have to find an alternative, or do some serious plasticard work.

These two both came in the same 1/48th Tamiya kit (conventient eh,) only cost $17.50 Australian, so quite affordable.

slaaneshes_own
13-09-2005, 14:55
I'd go with the black armour

biggreengribbly
13-09-2005, 15:41
The black definitely, the gold really just seems a little bright for what I think the admech should look like!

But whatever colour you do them, these guys are AWESOME!!!

Kotobuki
13-09-2005, 16:12
I don't know if it was intentional or not... but it seems as though (in addition to the colors) the tabbards could be used as a rank insignia. The shot you have posted of the three together seems quite like a Private (one button at the top of the tabbard), a Sergeant (with the three buttons) and a Lieutenant (the gold with the bar on the tabbard). That may be somethig you could actively persue and work out, in order to give them some distinguishing organization?

malika
13-09-2005, 17:05
Could you post some better pictures of the heavy weapons platform and that servitor in the background? :)

Aother crazy idea: rough riders :D give the horses lots of bionics and also the riders, what about centaur based bionical monsters? :chrome:

maraxis
13-09-2005, 18:18
So far very nice, cannot wait to see what you do for the arms (anything like the concept drawings?)

asmodai_dark86
14-09-2005, 06:30
Second that for request for more pictures of the heavy weapon from what I can see it doesnt look to bad - looking closely the lascannon might look a bif heavy for it, but theres ways of fixing this; make it short barrelled for example

You sir are as bad as the guy with the gorgeous dark angels land raider. A man so bad he makes me wish I didnt play warhammer

*Looks at Skitarri once more, looks over to where his wallet cowers behind his monitor and cackles manically*

Mmmmm spending cash..

The Hoff
14-09-2005, 11:17
Okay, hi everyone

Small update here, I remodelled some Cadian arms to fit.

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/5629/witharms0gh.jpg

Still hunting for the Necron bits to do bionic arms.

I added this pic to the first post too, Ill try to keep that up to date as I go along.

Sojourner
14-09-2005, 11:20
These just look so much cooler every day. I might one day steal your ideas.

At the moment I'm making truescale space marines. Might include a large Tech pool contingent :D

The Hoff
14-09-2005, 11:26
Ah true-scale marines, the holy grail.

It always bothers me that my stormtroopers (Karskins) are taller than my PA Grey Knights :mad:

malika
14-09-2005, 11:26
That is simply amazing!!! :eek:

I would like to see a standard bearer unit, carrying a giant banner in the name of the Machine God :chrome:

But what's up with the blue hands? is he wearin gloves?

Sojourner
14-09-2005, 11:31
Right now, an old stormtrooper sergeant comes up to just above the bottom rim of the chestplate. He's a big lad :evilgrin:

The Hoff
14-09-2005, 11:32
Yes, latex gloves...like the ones Willy Wonka has in the new movie.

Though the Skitarii use them to hold weapons...not touch children :eek:

edit: ^ thats the way Astartes should be, are you going to post some pictures here?

malika
14-09-2005, 11:42
What about troopers who would have their lasgun integrated into their bionic arm? :evilgrin:

CaputMortuum
14-09-2005, 11:43
Oh man, I almost started crying when I saw the latest update. Yeah, it's that beutiful.
Keep up the good work!

Omnissiah bless you.

malika
14-09-2005, 11:46
@CaputMortuum: that picture in your avatar, is that mini yours? if so could you shows us more? :)

Sorry for the off topic here

@The Hoff (are you a real David Hasselhoff fan? :p ): You mentioned that you have more artwork (concepts and stuff like that), could you post those, Im very curious at what more ideas etc you got

CaputMortuum
14-09-2005, 12:29
Sure, my avatar is the commander of my army.
I wouldn't want to hijack anyones thread but as Hoffs work is so damn powerful it's nigh impossible anyway, so I guess it don't matter if I throw in couple of pics of my stuff.

Here's a pic of my command HQ, which many of you might remember from the "HQ thread" some time ago. Their bases have received some attention after this pic was taken.

http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/1994/commandhq26rh.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Here is my scratchbuilt Baneblade. It just needs some paint and weathering. All my vehicles are undergoing a repaint and will receive a camo scheme akin to one that Germans used in Italy in 1944. It's just that I can't find much time to paint at the moment, so the work is advancing very slowly.
Luckily, I can read forums during my work hours and drool over threads like this one. :p

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/8168/baneblade10og.jpg

caput

malika
14-09-2005, 12:36
You should make another thread for your forces, they are simply amazing I think, that baneblade is truly beautiful!

Sorry I made you sort of "hijack" this thread :angel:

Sojourner
14-09-2005, 12:53
My marine dude isn't worthy of his own thread yet, so I'm going to post him here. Realise he's very WIP and i'm just trying to get the proportions right. The blu-tack will go. The Admech shoulder pad is just there as a placeholder too.

C&C please

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/Sojourner01/Marines/TruescaleMarine5.jpg

The Hoff
14-09-2005, 13:07
Lookin good guys,

the Baneblade in particular :eek: ,

I think if I scratchbuilt anything that size, it would be a Leviathan.

Nice easy basic shape, with plenty of scope for super-detailing (ie. cathederal windows towards the rear with stained glass), crews manning weapons turrets and banners hanging everywhere.

edit: the Baneblade could look sweet in ambush pattern too.

More edit:
Heres the clearer pic of the HW platform that a few gents requested, heavy WIP of course.
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/4962/hwplat4oq.jpg

Having seen it, do people think it is too narrow? or could it work.

CaputMortuum
14-09-2005, 14:15
Thanks a lot, The Hoff. What is ambush scheme? Heavy camo pattern, finnished off with some vegetation?

Back to business..
Hmm.. I think that it could very well work. It looks quite nice as it is, but might do with a little bit of teching up, you know, it looks a bit WW2 at the moment. Not a bad thing, but to make it look part with all the other SciFi stuff around.

Seeing this picture, I think it will make a great rough rider mount. Thanks.

caput

cpl_hicks
14-09-2005, 14:20
*readys plans to kidnap the hoff and use him as slave labour*

those KICK ASS, (sorry)
i might just have to rip*cough* use you work as inspiration

btw what about integrated weaponary, also ive seen somewhere i think b&c where some one made bionics out of plastacard

The boyz
14-09-2005, 14:24
@ Hoff, the heavy weapon looks well good, I like the idea of putting it on tracks, it fits in well with the theme of the army.

good work.

@CaputMortuum, that scratch built Baneblade is bloody awesome.

Good work.

Red Gobbo
14-09-2005, 14:32
this is probably the greatest AM army i've ever seen! loving the troopers, they must take a lot of effort though... i hope you keep the dedication going and complete a whole army!

as for the guns on tracks... great idea, but i personally would have made some AM guns with IG rules... if you look at the sort of heavy guns the AM have in the horus heresy books and made them, that'd be awesome! but hey, it's your army, you do what you want!

Guilliman
14-09-2005, 14:41
I'm dreaming of making a true scale marine army based on an Index Astartes article I've written. Now I'm tempted to add something about Adeptus Mechanicus in the fluff to have an exuse to steal some of your ideas. :rolleyes:

I'd call it inspiration though. :D

Phyros
14-09-2005, 16:00
What model kit did you use for the heavy weapon chassis? It looks so dayum good I am going to borrow the idea for my IG just so it looks different from the norm.

malika
14-09-2005, 16:02
To quote The Hoff:

Other ideas Im running through my head, all the heavy weapons teams will be based on little tracked chassis (like the old rapier model). I plan to use 1/35 scale German 'Kettenkrad' kits as the basis for these, with a hardwired targeting servitor and a loading/ tech servitor.

Phyros
14-09-2005, 16:25
Thank you very much, I knew it was in there somewhere....

Legion
14-09-2005, 20:35
Id say the chassis of the heavy weapon is a tamiya 1/48th scale kettenrad chassis...

as for ambush camo it is this, or one of its variations.http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/05/images/canfora_tiger_02.jpg

*NOTE not my Tiger *

Scotty
14-09-2005, 21:50
Sorry if this has already been asked

HOw did you make the little extra guards at the top of the tourso where the arms would come out? I presume green stuff?

tzeentchgiant
14-09-2005, 21:56
A little plastic tube, and bent plasticard.

The tube is the smaller one, the plasticard the bigger bit.

TG

Captain Brown
14-09-2005, 22:25
The Hoff,

Like the arms on the latest model. I admit I am more a fan of the less mechanical Skittari, but obviously some of them would have been 'repaired' by their Adeptus Mechanicus Overlords.

Again, fantastic conversions.

Captain Brown

nurgle_boy
14-09-2005, 22:28
i diddnt realise i hadnt posted here yet!
verry sexy indeed.
the models and conversions are good, and the painting is great!
such a deep rich red, and perfectly sharp black.

top job!

asmodai_dark86
15-09-2005, 00:44
Hoff keep that heavy weapons platform it looks excellent as is.

Then again, who am I to dare even question your stuff

If you want a unified thing then you should change it, but as is with the lascannon I'd be quite proud to have one of those in my forces

CaputMortuum
15-09-2005, 06:12
Thanks, Legion.
That camo is familiar just didn't know that it was called that.

caput

malika
15-09-2005, 09:43
@CaputMortuum: check your PM ;) (sorry for going off topic here)

For the rest, I would like to see some sort of close combat unit, perhaps troops with drills on their arms like in your concept sketch.

Nineswords
16-09-2005, 01:40
The Hoff - Good concept, great convesions and colour scheme, id love to see a step by step on how you managed to get that red so rich.

Turds all over my Skitarii troopers anyway!

Yodhrin
17-09-2005, 16:52
Hoff mate, you might want to check these models (http://www.solegends.com/citrare/citadeptmech.htm) out. Old, and only available through the old US version of the Skullz promotion, but they would make your army even more unique. Perhaps you can find them somewhere.

malika
17-09-2005, 17:01
Hmm...dont use those models!!! Immitate them! As in you make them yourself since lets face it the models you made are more detailed, taller and better looking than these old models. Cool as they are, I believe you can make better ones!

Kind of try to make big robed figures and take more current loking weapons and bits to make their equipment (Tech Marine exo armour bits come to mind)

The Hoff
18-09-2005, 00:03
Ill use them for ideas, some of the tech-bling and stuff they have is really cool.

But as Malika suggested, they would be quite short compared to the Skitarii.

WIP Sergent for the squad (the old ones getting repainted black)
http://img302.imageshack.us/img302/8624/wip61tw.jpg

Aurelien
18-09-2005, 00:17
Damn that looks good:) Can't wait to see it painted!

shutupSHUTUP!!!
18-09-2005, 00:20
Don't forget to add his pistol somewhere, I'm attentive to details like that personally...

malika
18-09-2005, 00:59
What about some shoulder mounted weapon? The Inquisitors sometimes use a similar weapon.

Nurglitch
18-09-2005, 02:08
Good work on the Skitarii. Ever thought of doing some casting?

Side-Note - Tepoc's my brother. Nice to see what he's been doing in his time in Montreal. I should check out his gallery more often...

The Hoff
18-09-2005, 02:55
Malika read my mind on the shoulder mounted las-pistol (in fact I mentioned it early in the thread), Im just trying to make it small enough so it doesnt look clumsy.

by the way, Necron arms are too big :(, so all bionoic limbs will have to be scratchbuilds.

drivemytankupyourbutt
18-09-2005, 03:44
Have you looked at alternative bionic arms?. Theres some good ones in the necromunda miniature range. Also some of the Ork bionics mignt be useful., just type bionic into the serach.

pitslaves (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=List_Models&code=301284&orignav=300808)
bionic arm (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947059906402&orignav=9)

Awesome models by the way, I wish I had as much talent as you.

The Hoff
18-09-2005, 03:53
Yeah some of those pit claves arms would be really nice, the rock drill in particular = drool :chrome:

(Looks in empty wallet)

cultist
18-09-2005, 06:08
by the way, Necron arms are too big , so all bionoic limbs will have to be scratchbuilds.
18-09-2005 01:08

If you cut the skinny forarm part of his arm they will fit decently the onply problem is they are not bulky enough for imperial tech

malika
18-09-2005, 10:28
These thingies might be handy:
Servo Skulls (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947010700505&orignav=10)

You might be able to convert these into close combat servitors:
Arco Flagellants (6 models) (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99110108058&orignav=10)

Might be some sort of Tech Priest with a bit of converting:
Inquisitor Daemonhunter Body 2 (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947010701203&orignav=10)

Arm?
Bounty Hunter 2 Bionic Arm
(http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947059906402&orignav=300808)

Electro Priest:
Wyrd Telekinetic (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947059905301&orignav=300808)

Some weapons and heads perhaps:
Chaos Space Marines Obliterator (1 random model (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060102075&orignav=10)

Some handy parts for tech priests:
Fabius Bile
(http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060102006&orignav=10)

Borsil
18-09-2005, 10:41
dear....god....emperor.... i think i need to go to the hospital!

damn you! now i want a skitari army :/

CaputMortuum
18-09-2005, 14:36
Your Sergeant is amazing!
Can't wait for the shoulder mounted laspistol.

(the old ones getting repainted black)

I think that is for the best, although the golden one was very good too.

caput

cpl_hicks
18-09-2005, 18:46
i must control my wallet and not buy parts to make models

*may have to go to plan B* (see sig)

firestorm40k
18-09-2005, 20:32
Hoff, I've only just found this thread, but your Skitarii are simply beautiful, stunning, and all round jow-droppingly great! :D

I am ashamed to admit that when my girlfriend saw the first pic of your painted guardsman, she said 'Father Christmas' :wtf: but she knows nowt about 40k apart from what I tell her :p so I'll let her off!

Nice work again. :cool:

CallOfTheBeowolf
18-09-2005, 22:47
Hoff, steller work. Along with the others i'm awaiting a whole army done to this standard.

I know it's been said before but have you considered rough riders? for mine i'm using a half wood elves horse / half inquisitor scale cyber mastiff mix. Still very much in the planning stage but i've almost finished one. With a bit of tweaking with the scale it all fits quite nicely. I'll finish the other 11 once i've worked through the platoons.

Not expecting you to act on it, just giving my advice.
CallOfTheBeowolf

malika
18-09-2005, 22:57
Post a picture of that horse when its finished! Im very curious how that would look like!!!

CallOfTheBeowolf
18-09-2005, 23:12
Once I finish, get a camera and an ounce of photography skill, I'll try.

Hoff, the sargent is indeed looking snazzy but whats the hanging thing in his right hand? Anything in particular or just a weird ad-mech techie thing?

The Hoff
18-09-2005, 23:34
Looks at Cpl_Hicks sig,

walks to the front door, looks out into the darkened garden with narrow eyes.
Did that bush just move?

A dog barks somewhere in the distance...

I also look forward to seeing your cyber-horse Beowulf, good concept.
I wondering if Imperial jetbikes would be a good fit for the RR rules.

edit: right hand is a tech artifact (possibly a brazier of some sort) he found back at the temple, it was very shiny, so he decided to carry it into battle. After the battle he will take it to bed with him.

malika
18-09-2005, 23:40
Make some Land Speeders! :D Perhaps try to make them look more like the 2nd edition Land Speeders.

Whole retinues of Tech Magos and Priests might also be cool, you could go very veeeeeeeeeery crazy there!

The Hoff
19-09-2005, 09:50
Sergent nearly finished, still some touch ups to go.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/3349/sarge9gl.jpg

Aurelien
19-09-2005, 09:55
Sure looking forwards to seeing a squad of these guys!

You're going to do a scenic display base for them right;)

CaputMortuum
19-09-2005, 13:06
Oh, man, it's getting better and better. The "trinket" is definitely a nice touch.
But what happened to the shoulder mounted laspistol?

caput

malika
19-09-2005, 13:07
What about creating an Incarcerator for your commander or other character?

INCARCERATOR: Overview (http://oz.games-workshop.com/games/40k/witchhunters/gaming/scenarios/repent/incarcerator1.htm)

The Hoff
19-09-2005, 13:41
Shoulder mounted las pistol is to come, I couldnt wait to paint him though :(

When you say for a commander, do you mean have him suspended in the cylinder, sort of like a tank/dreadnought hybrid type thingy?

Heavy weapon platform MKII, Im much happier with this one. Its made with a 1/72 American tractor. Still heaps of detail to add on the rear section.
http://img173.imageshack.us/img173/8206/wip105gt.jpg

Melchor
19-09-2005, 13:46
That lascannon is looking quite nice. Not sure if I like it better than the earlier version though. Maybe the two can be used side-by-side for a little variety?
The Sergeant is great. As usual. :D

malika
19-09-2005, 14:03
Shoulder mounted las pistol is to come, I couldnt wait to paint him though :(
You have been forgiven

When you say for a commander, do you mean have him suspended in the cylinder, sort of like a tank/dreadnought hybrid type thingy?
Yeah, or perhaps some prisoned psycher.

Heavy weapon platform MKII, Im much happier with this one. Its made with a 1/72 American tractor. Still heaps of detail to add on the rear section.

Looks pretty awesome, eventhough I think it would be cooler with twinlinked lascannons though (just take the turrets from the land raider), but yeah that wouldnt work with the rules.

19-09-2005, 14:30
.:damn:.

I hope you keep inspiring us all hoff.

x-esiv-4c
19-09-2005, 15:27
Simply brilliant work.

Agnostos
19-09-2005, 16:49
wow dude! you sure do work fast!!

Maxxev
19-09-2005, 16:55
did you spot these, fantastic work by the way i think i just bought my 12th army... damn you

http://www.pbase.com/tepoc/deathwheel_wip

malika
19-09-2005, 17:06
Deathwheels are really kick ass, Im more impressed by his Knights though

tzeentchgiant
19-09-2005, 17:17
Inspiring stuff you have there, and yeah, do a scenic base to go with all the fantabulous models.

TG

Chris
19-09-2005, 18:09
A couple people have already mentioned it, but for your leman Russ, you should be thinking... MINI-TITAN :D

God of War
19-09-2005, 22:23
Hi, new member. I wanted to say, first up, that your models are great hoff. Perfect without being too over the top. Also, I dont know if you have picked the look for your heros yet, but the old 40k rulebook has some nice art in it. I dont have a scanner but there is a sweet page on 107, showing some priests who have undergone more cybernetic implants. So Hoff, great models, I know we all look forward to the end result.

Haarken
19-09-2005, 22:49
I just found a link to this page on the ASP and what can I say? This is an awe inspiring project, I only wish that I had your modelling and painting skills. Keep up the great work. :)

The Hoff
19-09-2005, 22:54
Thanks guys,

wow, Dave McLeod's Deathwheels are very cool, they remind me of those things the droids use in SW Ep2.

Getz
20-09-2005, 00:12
A couple people have already mentioned it, but for your leman Russ, you should be thinking... MINI-TITAN :D

You know, aside from not being a Walker, the Stats of a Demolisher or Russ would make for quite a good Knight... Perhaps you could model up some knights and have them "count as" Leman Russ Variants...

shutupSHUTUP!!!
20-09-2005, 02:31
I saw a guy at my local store use a converted defiler standing on two legs, you could do this for your lema russ perhaps. He didn't even use any extra parts, the claw became legs and arms, it actually looked quite good, with an autocannon underslung on each arm and the battle cannon mounted on the chest as usual.

You could replace the autocannons with arm-mounted heavy bolters or something and take the chaos insignia etc off, if you don't put a mask on the defiler's head it has a more techy head looking appearance anyway.

Aaric
20-09-2005, 04:36
I must say that I really like the army and I eagerly await a tutorial!

Earlier someone mentioned electro-preists (I think that's what they are called) an i think that you should include them as they are a great modelling opportunity and there is not a whole lot known about them. "What rules to use for them?" you might ask. Grey Knights. They might not seem like the obvious choice, but allow me to explain.

First off, the weapons. Have to storm bolter count as lighting that they can shoot (they can shoot lightning, right?) and have the Nemesis weapons count as electified attacks. The different levels could even be different levels of power that the priest possesses. They armor save: abnormally tough, bionic; electrical tatoos protect them.

Someone also mentioned making Knights and counting them as Leman Russ varients. I would like to second that idea. It would look cool, and it fits the rules. The 12 inch movement could be attributed to the longer legs. If it moves 6 inches it can fire a weapon because it is stable enough to aim. if it moves 12 inches it is just haulin' a** and moving to fast to aim.

Good luck!

Zark the Damned
20-09-2005, 08:56
Personally I'd use allied Witchunters for the Electoo Priests. Arco-Flagellants will do the trick. Downside is you need to feth up your firing line and include a Priest.

The Hoff
20-09-2005, 09:44
I think Death-cult assasins would be a better rules representation of Electro-priest, I dont like the fact that arco-flagellants have to charge and all that...too hit or miss.

Munchy
20-09-2005, 10:38
:) Very nice models!

Maxxev
20-09-2005, 11:11
i think you should use one of these guys as the basis of your leader.

http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99060105175&orignav=9

also check out the old adaptus guys painted, i know they've been suggested before and discounted due to hieght, but still take a look

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.steve-dean.co.uk/images/40k/space-marines/ad-mech-5.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.steve-dean.co.uk/images/40k/space-marines/ad-mech-3.htm&h=300&w=200&sz=18&tbnid=mPTFDKjGkaAJ:&tbnh=111&tbnw=74&hl=en&start=8&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dadeptus%2Bmechanicus%26svnum%3D10%26h l%3Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff

Skrit
20-09-2005, 13:21
Absolutely stunning work there Mr. Hoff! I hope that you won't mind if I uhmm...borrow some of your ideas?! ;)

Kargos Bloodspit
20-09-2005, 13:31
Any chance you could detail about how you achieved such a well done red-robe effect?

Maxxev
20-09-2005, 14:20
oh and on those line i'm sorry but i'm making me some of these....

one other suggestion if you know anyone collecting woodies you could liberate some of the scout waywatcher heads, i dont hanve any about my person at the moment but i think 1 or two of the hooded heads might look ok... it wiuld haep you mass producing them

Phyros
20-09-2005, 15:04
Another idea for electro-priests is Ogryns. You could say that all the body modification they go through puts their strength, toughness and intellect on par with the Abhumans stat line, while staying within the bounds of the IG Codex.

x-esiv-4c
20-09-2005, 15:51
Perhaps give electroo priests more of a "tesla-coil" look.

Chris
20-09-2005, 19:59
Personally I'd use allied Witchunters for the Electoo Priests. Arco-Flagellants will do the trick. Downside is you need to feth up your firing line and include a Priest.

I like this idea, particulaly caus eyou could have some fun making the (tech)priest model.

TheologianOfGash
20-09-2005, 21:39
I think Death-cult assasins would be a better rules representation of Electro-priest, I dont like the fact that arco-flagellants have to charge and all that...too hit or miss.

Thats kind of what I do in my skittari army - though there not exactly electro priests.
Mine are just very weedy but nasty looking tech priests(inspired by the pic in the necron codex with the Corteswain story) - tall and gaunt with little/no obvious bionics in cool poses(I've done three, one with the arms over the chest like that picture, one with arms out in a cross and one pointing with a single arm looking down it), black robes and lots of mechadendrites.

Being that the AM is so wide and varied(weird and wonderfull) you can really explain away any unit/euipment combo you might find in the IG dex(and the inquisition, for that matter - my 'main' character fluff wise is a Xenos inquisitor lord with full retinue - veterans are veterans, servitors are servitors, medics/torturers magos biologis, acoloytes adepts(with man catchers - mechadendrites), priests tech priests(more of them), savants + familiars just a mechanicus equivalents - lexmechanics, servo skulls, icle robots, that kind of thing).

I find it much more fun to make the best fig + fluff I can then try and mash some rules to fit it.

Boom Boom
21-09-2005, 04:54
What you are doing is great and you should be proud of it. I would love to see the first squad finished and then if you could get a few of the other special troops into the force that would be great.
P.S. I heard that David loves treboR mints, the extra strong ones.
Boom Boom.

The Dragon Reborn
21-09-2005, 07:07
How did I miss this thread??

when the first picture came up I was blown away then I read through everypost and just drooled. how long have you been painting? can you post other projects of yours Because I would just love to spend this and everynight looking at models painted like that

Kargos Bloodspit
21-09-2005, 10:29
Perhaps give electroo priests more of a "tesla-coil" look.

why??

I'd take a model (dunno which yet.... either fully clothed or just a tabbard, and then paint a circuit tattoo onto his back and body (which is what is called an Electoo). Then perhaps have some "electrical energy" greenstuffed coming out of his hands.

And as for spelling:

The priests is an Electro Priest
his tatoo is an Electoo, it isnt an Electoo Priest (just to set the record straight...)

The Hoff
21-09-2005, 10:40
How did I miss this thread??

when the first picture came up I was blown away then I read through everypost and just drooled. how long have you been painting? can you post other projects of yours Because I would just love to spend this and everynight looking at models painted like that

The Dragon Reborn is most generous in his praise, the Hoff thanks you :D

I will at some point post images of my Daemonhunters, they are straight from the box however, so nothing especially new.

malika
21-09-2005, 10:42
What about creating a Thudd gun platform? sort of a look back at old times :D

A special grav patform might also be cool for some weapons.

Wolflord Bloodangel
21-09-2005, 10:48
I think Electro Priests would be some of the hardest guys ever to represent as models. Theyer one of my favourite types of soldier in the entire 40k universe, but theyre not easy to represent. They look just like a normal human, covered in shining tatoos, and surrounded by an auro of sparks and discharging electricity. What makes them so unique is the way they move, jerked about by powerful electric charges, as if on strings. This motion is impossible to represent on a static model. Still, it could be done...

Rules-wise theyd be simple, as I think Arco-flagellants really are perfect to represent them.

charlie_c67
21-09-2005, 10:48
Thought this pic might help you with your ideas for stormtrooper-esque guys. Assuming that's what the praetorians are gonna be.

malika
21-09-2005, 10:52
Uhm those are the crew of a BFG ship :eyebrows:

Praetorians are servitors on tracks with big weapons.

The Hoff
21-09-2005, 10:59
I actually had a Praetorian finished ready to paint, but the more I looked at it the more I hated the thing, so Im going back to the drawing board.

Ive decided I will finish one troop squad before I move onto the really fun stuff, not to worry though the squad wont take too long.

charlie_c67
21-09-2005, 11:02
Uhm those are the crew of a BFG ship :eyebrows:

Praetorians are servitors on tracks with big weapons.

Ah well! They're there for inspiration ;)

Nineswords
21-09-2005, 12:25
Thought this pic might help you with your ideas for stormtrooper-esque guys. Assuming that's what the praetorians are gonna be.

In which case, I would order from Forgeworld the Titan Crew - they look amazing, if the poses are a little static, and im sure you could base some awesome elite Skitarii squads on them.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Adeptus%20Mechanicus/teamp.jpg

I particularly like the shoulder piece with the Omnissiahs gear logo on it - your good enough with greenstuff to scuplt something similar - and I look forward to seeing more of your stuff!

malika
21-09-2005, 12:35
I think it would be cheaper to just get the old Stormtroopers (the metal ones before the Karskin came out) and model them a bit up! What about Adeptus Arbites models with bionics and all? I heard resin is a a very difficult material to work with.

Kargos Bloodspit
21-09-2005, 13:29
I actually had a Praetorian finished ready to paint, but the more I looked at it the more I hated the thing, so Im going back to the drawing board.

I was looking at some peoples ideas for conversions on the net the other night. Somebody was thinking about using a track set with a Terminator Torso all wired up with weapons etc. May be worthwile to try.

Maxxev
21-09-2005, 13:30
check out the junkrer exo-suits here for some inspiration

http://www.urbanmammoth.com/um/html/home.htm

Scactha
21-09-2005, 15:05
Truly amazing stuff The Hoff. Please keep us posted.

Yoghurt
22-09-2005, 08:10
Wow.

Really, what else can I say. Wow.

It makes me proud to be an Australian, it really does.

Keep up the great work The Hoff.

Boom Boom
22-09-2005, 08:25
I'm happy that you have decided to finish the first squad before you start something else. What have you got planned for the special weapon? And did you have any conversions planned for the vox-caster(if you are including one)?
Please don't do what that guy did in the upcoming White Dwarf.
Boom Boom.

The Hoff
22-09-2005, 13:16
I think ill go for a plasma gun Boom Boom, nice and techy and using the plastic SM bits not to hard to do. Plus I place great faith in Plasma weapons, they dont seem to blow up too often when I use them :)

Maxxev
22-09-2005, 13:53
tell you what looks good, remove the tubing in between the plastic flamer barel and the bulk of the weapon, you get a brutal high tech looking melta styley gun.

tzeentchgiant
22-09-2005, 15:39
Done anything more since your last update?

Also, although I really like your new avatar, I thought the old one was better, suited you even more than the current one does.

TG

Skink Master
22-09-2005, 20:24
I think ill go for a plasma gun Boom Boom, nice and techy and using the plastic SM bits not to hard to do. Plus I place great faith in Plasma weapons, they dont seem to blow up too often when I use them :)

Famous last words... :rolleyes:

But yeah, plasma guns are fun. BOOM! Take lots, they're very high tech, suits your force perfectly.

Mojaco
22-09-2005, 23:02
I didn't post before, but I've been admiring this work for some time now. I was thinking of making a Skitarii kill-team to go with my Warlord Titan and this has definatly pushed me over the edge. Thanks for the inspiration. And you're quite mad for wanting to make a full army :) Good luck.

Lord of Skulls
22-09-2005, 23:03
If you want flamers this one (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=9947010131208&orignav=10) might look good;)

Oh, and I love your work, by the way:) Good luck with the rest of the project.

devolutionary
22-09-2005, 23:04
I'm starting to think Court Jester and The Hoff should have a duel to see who can do the most impressive army :D

The Hoff
23-09-2005, 00:29
Done anything more since your last update?

Also, although I really like your new avatar, I thought the old one was better, suited you even more than the current one does.

TG

Project has slowed down a little, temporarily, due to immediate lack of funds. At this point Im just adding arms to all the half finished ones, and trying to hunt down more High Elf legs (I only had about 5-6 pairs to begin with).
Still working on getting the HW platfrom looking nice, expect an image of the complete build sometime over the weekend.

I agree about the avatar, I wouldnt want to deprive Warseer's of the stunningly manly vision of manliness that is....The Hoff!

Devolutionary, pistols at dawn then?
The place will be determined the evening prior, so if you could notify my opponent :chrome:

Nkari
23-09-2005, 16:01
word of advice tho on the weapon platforms, Dont put things infront of the "Gun" since it will hamper the elevation of the gun, etc, put it behind instead.. or mount the lascannon a bit further forward on the tack base..

Overall I like your stuff very very much.. :)

Kaaijer
23-09-2005, 17:13
Damn, I envy this army! If only had the time, money and commitment.

Excellent!

Boom Boom
23-09-2005, 22:36
I had a brain wave last night(I know my first and I'm so proud) and I was thinking about how you could represent Electro-priests. Just use normal priest rules and give them all eviscerators. With enough of them to add to your command squads you could have some powerfull squads that can help out in an fight. But if you want to include them like this then you will use up another doctrine point. This way you can use them in an army that does not include allies(Daemon/witch hunters).
Boom Boom.

Wert
24-09-2005, 11:43
Those models are amazing, totaly mind blowing. This army is so good its ashame it will be using "counts as" rules. Someone should be writting a damn Codex: AdMech, just for this army.

Puffin Magician
24-09-2005, 13:51
I haven't really been interested in 40k for the past few weeks but this has dragged me back in no time at all. These are simply the best Adeptus Mechanicus models I've ever seen, and I've been hunting for pictures for my own AM ideas for years. Absolutely stunning; you should be well proud.

I've read most of the thread and haven't seen a comprehensive 'how-to' on how you're making them. High Elf legs, Cadian torso, various heads, possibly Necron arms or legs, plasticard armour, and a bit of Green Stuff is the jist of it, right? Seems pretty pricey buying two boxes and only using half the bitz, but what an astounding result.

As for other things;

• Orgyns are good proxy rules for certain Robots, but IMO not all. There are 5 classes of Robot and only two of them are assault types. I'm planning on using the following units for the different types of Robots:

*Feral Ogryns - two combat weapons
*Standard Orgyns - assault gun & combat weapon
*Powerlifter Sentinel - high strength combat weapons
*Standard Sentinel - heavy weapon
*FW Support Sentinel - rocket launchers

• That little tank kit [not the Lascannon one] is a perfect size for a Cyclops Demolition Vehicle.

• You might want to consider using Tarantula Sentry Guns in your army, they seem fitting for an AM force.

• I agree with Zark 100% in that Arco-Flagellants are perfect for Electro Priest rules. The manditory Priest is a great excuse for a characterish unit with some hefty wargear and unique conversions.

• A Leman Russ or any other tank is a great opportunity for Knight-style walkers. The FW variants are superb for unique weapon; especially the Conqueror and Executioner. Mount the turret weapon on one arm and the hull weapons on the other.

• You could also consider the Atlas Armoured Recovery Vehicle if you want some special centerpiece units; it's not all that useful in the game but it simply exhumes an Adeptus Mechanicus aura.

That's all for now as my AM brainstorming files are on another PC, but when I can access them I'll be more than happy to share my plethora of ideas with you.

Keep up the good work and make sure the updates keep coming too.

Boom Boom
25-09-2005, 04:08
The squad is coming along beautifully. I can't wait to see the heavy weapon and the special weapon. Any more ideas on how you would use a vox-caster? Are you going to be using any at all?
On the topic of the Imperal jet bikes, two squads with hunting lances would be very hard hitting. I was thinking that a combo of a cross between the Star Wars- darth maul and imperal storm trooper bikes would look great. A long, chunky look would suit the imperium well. Just try not let them look to much like Eldar jet bikes.
Boom Boom.
P.S. the colours look better the more models that you paint up for the squad. Can't wait to see the rest.
Boom Boom.

sheep
25-09-2005, 04:24
Hey, always impressed with your work Hoff, i'll have to get you to show me how to do gasmasks like these for my own project, or just wait for the tut.

Loving the rich red, and all the psuedo religious icons on the sarge. the hands could use a little more deffinition, but they're better than any i've done so far.

Btw BOOM BOOM (nice name, suits you ;) ) the only problem i can see with using priets with eviserators as electro priests is the Initiative is to low to represent crazed martial batteries. From my reading of the 2nd ed fluff they would quite quick, compared to normal humans or bionically enhanced humans.

Cheers son,

Sheep

malika
25-09-2005, 10:28
Look at this for perhaps a walking tank:
link to the dakkadakka thread (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakka/Default.aspx?tabid=27&g=posts&t=10872)

This machine might also give you some ideas:
Tallarn Heavy Sentinel (http://www.miniaturespace.net/vdr_talarn_heavy_sentinel.htm)

The Hoff
25-09-2005, 10:58
Respect to the guy, thats one of the craziest VDR I have ever seen. However at this point Im tending toward a FW Ryza Pattern Russ turret and Mars Alpha hull. Makes a much meaner, sleeker looking Russ. That conversion kit, combined with a few techy extras should work out nicely.

If I do a walker, it will more likely be a Knight, along the lines of those you linked earlier in the thread.

WIP on a jetbike,

Tell me if im on the right track, and what needs to be added/changed.
Maybe a pair of small fins at the back?

Theres still a lot of detail to go at the front.

Ill make a crew and paint it up either way, because its hard to tell how it really looks until its finished.
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/561/jetbike20zu.jpg
http://img374.imageshack.us/img374/5108/impjetwip5dj.jpg

Ive been going over the possible army list, and Rough Riders/ Jetbikes are locked in as the first 'fun' thing to do, I will be running at least one, maybe two squads of 8 at 1750pts.

I cracked open a cheap wrist watch today and got some tiny little cogs that should make nice 40k scale bandsaw blades, to go on the end of Praetorean servo-arms.

malika
25-09-2005, 11:09
Look at these ideas for Imperial jetbikes:
jetbike1 (http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=98724.0)
jetbike2 (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=70491&hl=jetbike)

Puffin Magician
25-09-2005, 11:19
I'd build the jetbike model around a large central engine with plenty of intake & exhaust space at the front/rear. The prow should have a big glorious Imperial Eagle or an equally large Adeptus Mechanicus symbol. I can't imagine anything else being on the nose of the Jetbike. Make the angle of the nose less steep, closer to a 45°. Seems a bit high now [~60°?].

I cracked open a cheap wrist watch today and got some tiny little cogs that should make nice 40k scale bandsaw blades, to go on the end of Praetorean servo-arms.
You ingenious git, that's a great idea.

Lord-Warlock
25-09-2005, 11:25
Look pretty nifty to me - infinitely better than these (http://solegends.com/citrt/tsf18jetcycle.htm), anyways ;) That said, some fins could probably look good.

Oh, and have I mentioned you're my new object of worship?

The Hoff
25-09-2005, 11:49
*Dissappears into workshop*

Much tapping, sawing, cursing and grunting is heard.

*Re-appears triumphant!*

Is this better?

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/5634/jetbike31va.jpg

malika
25-09-2005, 11:49
Hmm perhaps the front parts of Imperial Cruisers (BFG) might be cool looking for the Jetbike "nose"

I dont know if the Adeptus Mechanicus also use the Imperial Eagle...the skull might be more fitting

The Hoff
25-09-2005, 12:01
Curses!

We could say they stole it from from some marines, in all the confusion of the Heresy.

Asides from the un-fluffyness, does it look ok though? or is it too pointy now.

I know the Aquila is less Ad.Mech, what if I add the skull sybmol as well?

sillywopper
25-09-2005, 12:15
looks great man,and i think the eagle looks just great,although perhaps the thing needs more 'tech' bits,like cables and cogs and whatnot.it kinda reminds me of that bike darth maul rides,for some strange reason.. :cool:

tzeentchgiant
25-09-2005, 13:05
I'm sorry to go so far off topic, but lightbinder, having been told off in you thread for double posting, by non other than an admin, what makes you think it would be acceptable here. It is becoming a habit of yours to post more than once without replies and post in txt talk, which is also unnacceptable, buck up son, honestly you make yourself annoying to read.

Also, with reference to the thread, great bike, fancy sharing with us the plans for most of your future projects for this army, adn also, maybe getting us a squad shot of what you've done so far.

TG

Rabid Bunny 666
25-09-2005, 13:15
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/rabid_bunny_666/doubleposters2zs.gif

just edit your posts to single posts

nice work there 'Hoff, *is jealous*

any ideas for your HQ as of yet? there is something in the next UK WD, a techpriest in a glass tank on tracks, sounds odd, i'll try getting a pic of it

that jetbike is awesome, where did you get the eagle bits from?

Nineswords
25-09-2005, 13:24
Curses!

We could say they stole it from from some marines, in all the confusion of the Heresy.

Asides from the un-fluffyness, does it look ok though? or is it too pointy now.

I know the Aquila is less Ad.Mech, what if I add the skull sybmol as well?

No no, defintely keep that. A. It looks awesome, and just how I envisaged an Imperial Jetbike, and it looks different from the Chaplain on bike with the winged front shield. Id probably say you need to reposition the gun underneath it otherwise youd be shooting into the eagle beak, but thats a minor point.

Have you looked at the Horus Heresy art book series (I assume you have), theres loads of great source material there, and I think your pre heresy jetbikes fit in perfectly with your fluff; after all, the servants of the Ohmnissiah are still staunch imperialists, and only the fabricators of Mars could maintain jetbikes over 10000 years old....

Keep going!

Lord of Skulls
25-09-2005, 13:25
that jetbike is awesome, where did you get the eagle bits from?

I don't know about the wings, but the head is from the backpack in the SM Commander box, right?

The Hoff
25-09-2005, 13:36
Affirmative on the eagle head, SM Plastic commander box set (Im not a huge fan of that backpack, so I had no qualms cannibalising it).

The wings are from the Witch-hunters vechile sprue, off some sort of cherub blowing into a vox caster. I forget how I came by the bit, seeing as I have never bought any WH stuff. If I do the whole squad this way I guess ill bitz order that sprue by itself.

edit:

@TG, if it would interest people I can post the current armylist and annotate it to give people an idea of what the army will look like on the table top.
Other than that, Ill update the front page with more detailed info.

@Radib Bunny, Someone linked something similar to that early on. Although there was no techpriest in it, interesting thought though.

Currently for HQ, Im going to buy the standard guard Command squad on the cheap to fulfill minimum force requirments. However the main man for the army, that is the Magos Lord and attending servitors, will be represented using allied Inquisitor rules.

Of course there are experimental AM lists floating aroung the net, including here (http://thewarp.net/war/millenium/house/adeptus_machine_codex.htm) for example, but I want a tournament legal army before I start looking at those.

Lord of Skulls
25-09-2005, 13:38
You'd probably be better off asking WH players for spare ones... The sprue is rather expensive. (Unless you find uses for all the other stuff you get on it.)

malika
25-09-2005, 14:31
What kind of elite units would the Adeptus Mechanicus have? You could have some heavily armoured unit which you could count as Death Watch or Grey Knights?

tzeentchgiant
25-09-2005, 15:09
@TG, if it would interest people I can post the current armylist and annotate it to give people an idea of what the army will look like on the table top.

There's no need for that, although thanks for the offer, I just wanted to really know the jist of what you'll be doing, like tanks and such, that'd be cool.

Cheers

TG

Sweeper
25-09-2005, 15:13
The bike is very cool, reminds me kind of a pic from the origianl Rogue Trader maybe. Had a marine on a skimmer buzzing around in an Arizona looking old west type area. Very cool.

If you were going to add the cog/skull, the sides of the fuel tank or maybe the headrest would seem to be a good place. The eagle looks good on the front, I don't think I'd change that.

Puffin Magician
25-09-2005, 15:44
The Adeptus Mechanicus are a [somewhat independent] branch of the Imperium so yes they use the Imperial Eagle; have a look at Titans. That Jetbike looks pretty good, although a bit short for my tastes.

What kind of elite units would the Adeptus Mechanicus have? You could have some heavily armoured unit which you could count as Death Watch or Grey Knights?
According to Tim Huckleberry, they have Praetorians, Electropriests, and Techmarines. Praetorians are heavily armed and armoured, but not as much as Grey Knights. IIRC they're όber-servitors mounted on tracks, but I can't recall whether they're armed with assault weapons or heavy weapons.

The AM don't have many elite units, just a lot of fancy wargear.

malika
25-09-2005, 15:46
Well the idea of havng a unit of tech marine students might be cool, however they would still just be armed as normal marines with fancy stuff, so similar to the Death Watch for the rules?

Puffin Magician
25-09-2005, 17:18
It's not a whole unit of Tech's, merely a 0-2 option like in the IG Codex. The closest thing to a Deathwatch Squad in an Adeptus Mechanicus army would be a Mentor Legion Cohort [which is the perfect unit to be represented by DW rules].

Gazak Blacktoof
25-09-2005, 21:15
I've been browsing this thread for a couple of days and I have to say the admech troops are looking fantastic. I'm not however so keen on the jetbike. Whilst the imperial eagle still gets used by the adeptus mechanicus I don't think it should be displayed so prominently. If you look at the forgeworld titans (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/QUATERMASTERS_STORE_TITANS_31.html) the aquilla is quite discreet on the lucius pattern, the same with the crew and I can't see an aquilla anywhere on the titan techpriest. It is displayed quite boldly on the mars pattern though, so if you think it looks cool go with it. Perhaps different forgeworlds have different levels of communication with the imperium and so have adopted its icons to varying degrees.

EDIT- Oh and you should certainly go and get yourself one of the titan techpriests, its one of my favourite forgeworld models.

Aquilla
25-09-2005, 21:36
These models are fantastic!
Do you mind if I borrow a few ideas?

Keep up the great work!

:chrome:

baneful
26-09-2005, 12:35
Hoff,

lismore G'con 2006 you say. i attended this year and am deffinatly going back next. hows about a round one challange my elysian drop troops (phantine skyborne) vs your adeptus mechanicus.

ive only just started the army aswell so i should be ready if your up for it... something photo worthy for sure

although i now know who has won painting/beauty contest next year and here i was thinking my elysian would stand a chance

The Hoff
27-09-2005, 07:08
A quick WIP/ preview,

Praetorean
http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/3853/preat20kf.jpg

As always thoughts and suggestions are welcome, wait till you see it painted before make a final nay or yay decision though.

Right arm is a heavy bolter, left is one of the combat servitor arms (one with drill and chainfist). I may or may not add another thin servo arm like the one that is on there, still looking fore the perfect sizes bandsaw blade, some just too small, others just too big :rolleyes:

New Cult King
27-09-2005, 07:35
Man that's scary - almost *identical* to how I pictured them when reading about them in the fluff. So good.

violenceha
27-09-2005, 07:42
can't wait to see it with arms and painted, it looks amazing

Boom Boom
27-09-2005, 09:03
That is coming along very nicely. Can you show the first one that you started? I'm really interested in what it looked like compared to this one.
Have you figered out how you are going to use them yet?
A squad of three all armed the same cold represent a heavy weapon squad. Then you could make up some servitors to represent the weapon loaders or use the inquisitor henchmen sage models to accompany them. Either way they would look amazing.
Using them as heavy weapon squads makes them different to the normal heavy weapons in the squads.
Can't wait to it them painted.
Boom Boom.

ironduke
27-09-2005, 09:34
Has anyone got any pics of the new white dwarf cause somebody did a Tech priest commander in a tank (of fluid ) on tracks that could be useful for more ideas.

The Hoff
27-09-2005, 10:21
Can you show the first one that you started? I'm really interested in what it looked like compared to this one.

It was, ahem...destroyed.

As I said, I really wasnt happy with it :evilgrin: . I used the discription you gave me the other day for this new one, its a bit messy in most areas, but since its the concept model thats acceptable.

http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/8935/praetwip114yn.jpg

Area I will work hard to improve on with the next one are around joins between the chassis and the torso. Theres a Necron spines in there somewhere, and it looked good, I just went a bit overboard with the wiring.

Rules wise, I think they would fit GK rules well, as the Praetoreans are supposed to be close combat beasts (S6 represents that well). Obviously the heavy bolter will not be WYSIWYG, but it looks cool so Ill go with it.

Skink Master
27-09-2005, 10:30
Dear sweet mericful cheese lumps.... :eek:

That thing just kicks so much ass! It rocks like a stony object! It has more rockitude than an entire rock carnival!

Your painting is indeed fantastic, your modelling skillz just as great, and the entire concept makes me drool..

ironduke
27-09-2005, 10:30
"Dribbles"

OH MY GOD!!! My heart failing (collapses behind the keyboard)

nuff said

Inquis. Jaeger
27-09-2005, 11:25
awesome, hoff, just awesome. No words...

Marty D
27-09-2005, 11:51
as always it looks awesome - jawsome as the streetsharks would say

one thing - is it gunna look too heavy on the back? there seems to be alot of gear on the back and nothing at all on the front end of the tracks

the bare chest looks a bit out of place when placed along with a face full of bionics

The Hoff
27-09-2005, 11:59
the bare chest looks a bit out of place when placed along with a face full of bionics

This is true,

I guess I wanted to show that there was something that was once human under all the hoses and lenses, hmmm.

I was going to make segmented chest armour (basicly Roman Lorica Segmenta) in a similar manner to the leg armour from the Skitarii , but decided to go the bare chest at the last minute.

With full chest armour theres nothing to indicate that this thing isnt a robot, however I kind of agree with oyu. Quite a dilemma :D

sheep
27-09-2005, 12:08
Maybe to help show that its human albiet augmented ou could put a steel plate where the sternum would be, bolted or sutured into the flesh.

Very nice, i must say that i like thr tri-eyes much more than the bug/binocular eyes.

Cheers

Sheep

ironduke
27-09-2005, 12:29
I think there is nothing wrong with the bare chest it shows that under all that metal and bionics there is a heart that beats true and pure... awwww!

Do more models, must have more

Wulf
27-09-2005, 12:58
Right arm is a heavy bolter, left is one of the combat servitor arms (one with drill and chainfist).

Lovely stuff! My 2 c. on Praetorians: Grey Knight rules will work fine. And keep them suitably in focus. To keep close to WYSIWYG you could try to modify the heavy bolter atleast somwhat. Any slight modification than using the "straight out of the box" heavy bolter should do it, to make it more of an oversized stormbolter. Atleast put two (smaller) barrels on it, instead of the one big heavy bolter dito. That should do the trick.

It looks great! And keep the bare chest! On a few you could have cables coming straight out of his chest. Look at Fabius Biles chest to see what I mean.

Keep it up!

/Wulf

Marty D
27-09-2005, 13:41
are there any reference pics for preatorians? (sp)

the only pic i could find was a pic from UK WD269 in the inquisitor battle report

The Hoff
27-09-2005, 13:48
Im not sure I like that one overall, however it does look more heavily armoured than mine, which fits the description better.

If I dont have the bare chest on the next one it should work well I think.

Marty D
27-09-2005, 13:59
on the subject of vehicles - have you seen some of the components for the exorcist tank?

exorcist (http://uk.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.uk?do=Individual&code=99140108054&orignav=10)

the servitor loader and the 'organ bay' both look techy and cool

baneful
27-09-2005, 14:01
there bare chest looks good. shows that the army is still human for is not the omnisiah a machine of flesh.

cpl_hicks
27-09-2005, 14:06
the preatorians? (sp) should each be differant, some with humans heads, some with 1 human arm ect, to show that they are all differant ad mech creations

the Immolator and exorcist, top hull look really good (where they taper up), i been thing of doing a conversion on that specific bit for a while now

The Hoff
27-09-2005, 14:18
on the subject of vehicles - have you seen some of the components for the exorcist tank?

the servitor loader and the 'organ bay' both look techy and cool

have had my eye on them, also the two servitors from the Throne of Judgement, at least some of these will probably find their way onto my Basilisks.