PDA

View Full Version : Face it, you're not going to be an astronaut

11-09-2005, 05:39
I remember sitting on the floor in second grade with all my other classmates and the teacher asked everyone what they wanted to be. All the boys wanted to be baseball players, well, not only that they also knew which teams they wanted to play for. The girls all wanted to be doctors or at the least, vetinarians.

"I wanna be a footballer, baseball player, doctor, astronaut, and best of all, President (or Prime Minister)."

Fast forward. I am now a senior in college. First day of class the professor passed around little slips of colored paper and we were told to write answers to quirky little questions as a form of breaking the ice. This was my fourth year of doing this, however this was the first year I noticed the evolution of answers.

Question- What is your dream car?

Freshman answer- Rolls Royce or Bentley, Corvette, Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Lexus, random Italian sports car.

Some Sophomore, mostly Junior/Senior answers- simple sedan most likely Toyota or Honda, maybe a nifty jeep thrown in the mix. Most important thing about the car, reliability.

Notice anything yet? At some point in life reality comes crashing through the door, grabs hold of us and says we are not all going to be astronauts. So what did you want to be, when did you realize it wasn't going to happen, or is it going to happen? Do you think kids should be told to quit dreaming, if so when?

In less than a year I will have graduated College with an English degree, two internships (marketing and publishing) one computer support job, and knowledge on how to use many specialized programs, and I honestly have no idea what I want to do.

Though, I'm beginning to realize I probably don't have the agressiveness it takes to be a cagefighter.

starlight
11-09-2005, 05:47
Notice anything yet?

Yup. Most people give up on their dreams because of what others tell them.

So what did you want to be, when did you realize it wasn't going to happen, or is it going to happen?

I am what I want to be (as opposed to what everyone else wanted me to be). I own a business that I am turning into an obscenely effective engine for making cash/owning property/providing for me and mine.

Do you think kids should be told to quit dreaming, if so when?

No.

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
11-09-2005, 06:28
Do you think kids should be told to quit dreaming, if so when?

When a kid stops dreaming they have lost all hope for the future.

The people who go after their dreams are the people that are truly happy in life, like starlight. Maybe he thought to himself one day...hey, it would be really cool to open my own business. That way, i could make money while working on my own terms, not some jackass boss ive never met before. And instead of going the safe route and sticking with his normal job, he invested all his money into starting a business, and now it has paid off. It may not seem logical to chase after your dreams...but its damned fun, and when you actually attain that dream, you can then die in peace knowing you did what you came to do.

^The above post contains a (possibly) fictional story, a *slightly* exxagerrated view on dreams, and some cool words. Like jackass.

:0)
11-09-2005, 06:29
I remember sitting on the floor in second grade with all my other classmates and the teacher asked everyone what they wanted to be. All the boys wanted to be baseball players, well, not only that they also knew which teams they wanted to play for. The girls all wanted to be doctors or at the least, vetinarians.

Notice anything yet? At some point in life reality comes crashing through the door, grabs hold of us and says we are not all going to be astronauts. So what did you want to be, when did you realize it wasn't going to happen, or is it going to happen? Do you think kids should be told to quit dreaming, if so when?

Why should you prevent a child from being optimistic about his future? What about the children who actually do become astronauts and baseball players? Plenty of girls become veterinarians, too. I don't see a point in forcing a child to stop believing in himself; I'm not heartless.

Kohhna
11-09-2005, 06:58
Hell no. My Ambitions have not narrowed in scope but only become more specific.

Gavmo
11-09-2005, 08:04
When I was a wee tike in year 6, (about 12 years old) I topped the class in a maths test. It was shapes and area and stuff. My teacher said to me that I might one day become an architect. So for about 4 years I was determined to become an architect, till I was nearing the final 2 years of high school. This is where I discovered beer and realised that I didnt really want to be an architect either.
The problem with this was that it seemed like everyone else in my year at school had worked out exactly how they wanted their lives to turn out but me.
There was a lot of pressure for me to make sure that I picked the right subjects for the last 2 years of high school as this would ensure that I had the prerequisits to get into my desired uni course.
This was a major problem for me as I had NO idea what I wanted to do with my life. So with no direction I picked useless subjects, (Like Indonesian) and did a really half **** job at school. I had a lot of fun at the time though. :evilgrin:
Then I proceded to waste a few years doing bugger all and its now one of my biggest regrets.
Luckly nowdays, I seem to have been kicked in the **** by a rainbow as I have a good job and a GREAT girl.

So I guess the moral of my story is:
Dreams are great. They give you drive and direction. But when something changes, you MUST find a backup or you will be screwed. And there is too much pressure put onto teenagers at school level to make a decision that will heavily impact on their lives. I was an idiot when I was a teenager, and yet I was required to make very adult decisions. But unfortunatly, thats the way the world works. As our principal said to us on our formal night, "Life is not fair." :(

Chuffy
11-09-2005, 08:16

Yes, reality came crashing through for me when I was 11, as did my dreaming. Why? Because I'm a rational, cynical, sarcastic ********. I just applied common sense one day; "Oh wait, I'm not going to be Prime Minister, I'm not going to own mircosoft, I'm not going to go into space, thats stupid."

I'm suprised it took you to college to realise that.

Kids shouldn't be told to quit dreaming, even if it does make them stupid.

Wraith
11-09-2005, 09:22
There’s only one acceptable ‘dream’ in today’s world and if it isn’t ‘making money’ then you’re screwed.

Some person might have a lot of passion and commitment to achieving their ‘non-career’ focussed dream but because they lack the money from not having a well paid job because they don’t have the interest in their job they are screwed.

The question about ‘what’s your dream car’ made me laugh what about the people who couldn’t care less about what they drive? I wouldn’t be surprised if this question was sponsored by big business ( ;) ), I see too many people harp on about items they ‘want’, which wont make them happy, and just lead on to wanting something else (good for the economy, torture for the individual).

Kids should be told the truth – some people have talent enough to become an astronaut but here are your exact chances of becoming one…

Dreams are fine; it’s when they are manipulated by others for their own ends which cause problems. When parents and/or teachers make comments like “well, if you work hard, perhaps…” they are all to often presenting a false reward which the child will work towards because the child trusts it’s care giver. The child does not know the reality that the parents/teacher just wants them ‘educated’ so they don’t become a burden on them/society, instead the child is setup for great disappointment plus the realisation they were deceived by those they trusted most. This is an act of selfishness.

You have a job so you can eat; few people manage to get paid for living their dream, few true dreams can make you money.

Sojourner
11-09-2005, 09:32
I haven't, yet. I can still believe that maybe I'd be good enough.

Snoozer
11-09-2005, 09:41
Well my dream was to make computer games when I grew up, right now I'm studying computer programming so it's not that bad :p

Oh and never tell anyone to stop dreaming.

:D

Shadowheart
11-09-2005, 09:50
As far as I'm concerned, a job's a job, nothing more. It's not a way of life, it's just something you do to make money. When I was asked what I wanted to be when I grew up the answer was never a profession. That's something you do, not something you are. Sometimes, happily, what you do can be close to what you are, but most of the time what people do doesn't have much to do with the people they are.

And I don't see why dreams should need to be realistic. Even if they will not come true, they will have been good dreams. I'd rather be someone who dreams of being Jerry Cornelius and ends up working as an accountant, than someone who doesn't dream and ends up working as an accountant.

My favourite 40K quote is the famous "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment." which, if you take the time to concider it, is not only a true statement, but a positive one. It doesn't say all hopes are doomed to end in disappointment, but that any disappointment must have been preceded by hope. When you stop being disappointed, you have stopped hoping.

As to what I think we should tell kids, I think it's equally a question of what we shouldn't tell them. A lot of people have this messed up ideal about childhood innocence which kids have forced upon them. They're brought up with a false, distorted, censored image of the world and then have to go through a painful process of coming to terms with the reality of life. Nobody Can Win (http://www.alwaysontherun.net/garbage.htm#nob) says it all.

Mind though that hopes and expectations are different things. The former need not be bound by reality. Hope is a foundation of life, a matter of strength, of doing your best. We all want the best. But we'll learn to settle for less.

NaT
11-09-2005, 09:59
Anyone can have big dreams. But it takes a special something to achieve them.

Dedication, Determination and of course luck all come into play. It's that we get too lazy to dream big. How many people do you know who have set out to achieve something difficult (for example, acquiring enough money to buy one of the high roller cars) and actually succeeded?

Kensai X
11-09-2005, 13:12
In this day in age, it's all to likely that a kid won't make it to become an astronaut, or doctor, or an actor... but that doesn't mean you have to tell them that. Little Johnny will become exactly what he wants to be through his actions. He earns his grades, keeps himself sharp, and physically fit, and below 6'2 in height.... He just might become a astronaut...

Hell in second grade I told my teacher I wanted to be a knight. She laughed and told there was no such thing as knights anymore... What job do you think I now have...

Kohhna
11-09-2005, 13:50
If anyone really is interested in these moments of epiphany you can see plenty of them on The X Factor. This is fast becomming my favourite show at the moment. The sad thing really is the amount of people who seem to belive that their lives are worthless now they aren't going to be the next Celine Dion or Elton John. That guy who said "now i just don't have anything else to look forward to" or the girl who said "I have to be good at this because i've failed at everything else in my life" - you have to have a heart of stone if you can sit through that without laughing.

They probably should grow up or at least aquire an ambition beyond sitting on your **** all day, going to parties with celebrities and doing the odd concert to pay the rent (which is what they probably imagine being a professional singers' life is like).

I think people should dream, but an essential part of growing up is having a realistic appraisal of what you are like as a person, your strengths and weaknesses and the things that you can do that will trully make you happy, and that life is f##king hard work most of the time.

Freak Ona Leash
11-09-2005, 13:52
Hell in second grade I told my teacher I wanted to be a knight. She laughed and told there was no such thing as knights anymore... What job do you think I now have...
That sounds remarkbaly like Tommy "Valharic" Noble's story...yeah, I spned too much time in the SCA. I've always dreamed of being a soldier and no noes ever larfed at me for that. Though, some people have said that no army with sound-minded leardership would let me within five feet of a working gun but hey, dreams are cool. :D

The pestilent 1
11-09-2005, 13:59
for the last Sixteen years of my life i have wanted to be a Paeleontologist (or, "dinosaur digger" or even "eh! eh!" at that really young age)
no bugger has yet managed to change my mind, and i dont forsee them doing it.

edit: ofcourse my backup dream is, and has been for a long time, to have a vast army of evil.
hey, miracles happen to bad people aswell you know.

CELS
11-09-2005, 14:25
Having a dream is usually a good thing, as long as you work hard to achieve it. But then you have the kids who have dreams but don't want to work to achieve them. Like the kids who want to be rock stars, professional soldiers or computer game designers, and use this as a reason not to do their homework. Tends not to work out that way.

Tomasaurus
11-09-2005, 14:33
I'm living my dream and doing my best to attain the rest of them, thats where I am different from most people I know. No kid should ever stop trying to attain a goal no matter how outlandish it is.

Wraith
11-09-2005, 14:53
No kid should ever stop trying to attain a goal no matter how outlandish it is.

You have to have 'something' to live for right? :rolleyes:

"The tragedy of life is what dies inside a man while he lives."
- Albert Einstein

Wolf Scout Ewan
11-09-2005, 15:23
When we are kids we are told the world is our oyster and all we gotta do is get out there and make the future ours.

The reality is rather disapointing.

I spent my teenage years not knowing what I wanted to be when I left school and grew up. Now I'm 28 I still dont know what I want to be when I leave uni and grow up haha!

According to one of my chums from UO the type of people like us are called "IDFK"'s or "ISDFK"

Use ur imagination heh!

Scythe
11-09-2005, 18:58
What is your life really worth when you have no goals or dreams you want to realise? No mather how extreme your dream is, I think it's better as having no dream at all. If you completely give up all your dreams, you've given up hope, and life itself in my opinion. Kids should discover the world and absurdness of their dreams themselves. Other people shouldn't try to interfere or influence this, whoever they are.

Just my 2 cents...

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
11-09-2005, 19:04
The reality is rather disapointing.

Reality sucks,thats why we play warhammer! And thats why different universes like star wars and games like world of warcraft are so popular....they pull you away from the **** that is your day-to-day life and put you somewhere where you can be a hero, and people will know your name.

Yorkiebar
11-09-2005, 19:14
Reality sucksUnfortunately, 'tis true. Reality can suck.

As for dreams, don't let anyone give up on them excapt by their own choice. It is totally possible to become an astronaut or footballer if that's what you want to do with your life, and you're prepared to work for it.

Kohhna
11-09-2005, 19:25
No kid should ever stop trying to attain a goal no matter how outlandish it is.
Yeah but Linda Lovelace an Lolo Ferrari are dead and Diana Rigg and Jenny Agutter are real old now. How am I going to have a record breaking 96 day sex marathon with them now?

Lostanddamned
11-09-2005, 19:36
I wanted to be a marine biologist when I was a kid (well... work with sharks)

for years I worked for that, until recently I abandonded it.

I now want to be a Marine Zoologist.

I am working towards it well as well.

starlight
11-09-2005, 19:41
So for us non-college folk, what's the difference?

Lostanddamned
11-09-2005, 19:43
Zoology is Big Stuff eg whales, sharks, fish and Biology is little stuff eg Plankton, plants, boring stuff

I'm not in college, im in a sixth form college... (16-18/19)

And a nitpicker (clearly)

starlight
11-09-2005, 19:51
Ahah! Vacation here, we have many big marine thingies :D that we charge people to watch. UVic is also know for it's marine program (my cousin went there).

http://www.seacoastexpeditions.com/

I'm not in college, im in a sixth form college... (16-18/19)

Which makes absolutely no sense to me at all. :confused:

:0)
11-09-2005, 19:53
Yeah but Linda Lovelace an Lolo Ferrari are dead and Diana Rigg and Jenny Agutter are real old now. How am I going to have a record breaking 96 day sex marathon with them now?
By being a necrophilliac and a granny f***er, of course.

Lostanddamned
11-09-2005, 20:00
Sixth form college is a UK thing, its kinda a transfer from schools to university.

nurgle_boy
11-09-2005, 20:31
all i strive for in life, is to win a slayer sword.
i love to paint, its what i want to do when i grow up, and i want to win.
yeh, i may never do it, but it doesnt stop me trying.

just because the competitions good,doesnt make me go, ah well, better not try then.

in youngbloods this year, the competition may be good, but i still think to myself "hey, im gonna win me a daemon!"

and i keep telling myself that!

giving up on dreams is for losers, and thats all there is to it...

tzeentchgiant
11-09-2005, 21:08
Giving up on dreams maybe, but dreams change, your priorities change, there is nothing shameful about changing your ambitions, just so long as you keep them high, you can't go wrong.

TG

Wolf Scout Ewan
11-09-2005, 21:23
Reality does suck a big one.

I dreamt about marrying the girl I loved. I dreamt of getting a good job and supporting myself. I rdeamt of being a "proper adult". Pretty much failed all those.

However, I do have my dreams.

I dream of meeeting someone really special. I dream of walking and living on a world untainted by the hands of men. I dream of finishing all the stuff I have yet to paint and GW to release. ^^ I dream of filling my house with terrian I have made. I dream ofa job that doesnt make me want to kill the next person I see. I dream of never suffering from depression and anxiety again!

celestine
11-09-2005, 21:29
I have wanted to work with babies all of my life. Their so cute and cudly and they seem to like me too. I've now narrowed my subjects at school and am aiming for medicine. I plan on becoming my dream exactly. I want to work with kids and help people. It will take a hell of a lot of work to go through college, med school, resideny and then all the buisiness of trying to go private but i am so up for it. I achieve top marks in all science and math subjects and have some of the highest results in tests in year at school. I am going to make it. No matter what. Poeple of any age should never e told to give up their dreams. It's what makes people different and imaginative and not just say "I want to work behind a desk in an office block pushing papers all day."

Celestine

Wraith
11-09-2005, 21:50
What is your life really worth when you have no goals or dreams you want to realise? No mather how extreme your dream is, I think it's better as having no dream at all. If you completely give up all your dreams, you've given up hope, and life itself in my opinion.

And what's wrong with giving up on life?

I think you're being rather provocative with that comment giving up on life would be commiting suicide surely? Unless you mean becoming the living-dead -- you do what you need to do to survivie but you're mind/spirit is 'dead'.

I think it's better to live reality than live a dream, if that means giving up on what you call 'life' so be it. Hope leaves you so very open to being exploited...

Sojourner
11-09-2005, 21:52
Well, what's the point if not? Mundane goals or not, they're still goals.

Kohhna
11-09-2005, 23:11
By being a necrophilliac and a granny f***er, of course.
Genius, you have shown me the way.

You see, never give up.

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
11-09-2005, 23:34
The more of this thread i read, the more depressed i get. Ive got dreams, weve all got dreams, but hearing all these stories of shattered dreams really wrenches you out of your comfortable life and makes you realize that when you get out in the big bad world it wont be fun and games anymore.

Lets organize a mass suicide where we sacrifice ourselves in the most bloody and horrific way and see if somehow, someway, we can summon a bloodthirster.

starlight
11-09-2005, 23:58
While I'm quite the opposite. I see stories of people trying. I've changed my path several times as different things have appealed, but I've never stopped and I never will.

Heck given the amount of money I'm looking at, why would I quit now? :confused:

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
12-09-2005, 00:29
You see the thing for me is ihave maybe 10-15 years between graduating college and taking over my dads business. What am i going to do those years? I could move to europe and become a "footballer" or something, or maybe open an independent retailer with my friends. I really dont have any dreams anymore...which is sad.

starlight
12-09-2005, 00:42
Welllllllllll, If I had 10-15 years to get ready to take over my dad's business (my dad died when I was in my mid 20's so that isn't an option) I'd be getting ready to run the best darned business out there. Quite frankly 5upr3m3 h4xx0rz, all I'm hearing is a bunch of griping because a seemingly prosperous, successful life is pretty much handed to you and you don't seem to want it. :eyebrows:

Tell your dad to give me a call and *I'll* take over his businesses and you can sit on a beach somewhere until you figure out what you want to do with your life. :eyebrows:

Wiseman
12-09-2005, 00:58
If a 5 year old comes up to ou and says he wants to be an astronaut, what are ya gonna say to him? "No kid your not, in all likelyhood your not going to be anything more then middleclass, working hard for a pittance for the rest of your life while the government taxes you to an early grave." You cant tell a kid how life really is because it will crush them, sure it hurts when reality knocks on your door, but nothing is ever easy, learning that life isnt all roses is part of growing up. Though you have to keep dreaming your entire life, dreaming will give you hope for a better future to make it seem like everything your doing at the moment will be worth it, chances are though it wont.

Bmaxwell
12-09-2005, 01:01
Stuff like this makes my blood boil thats what is holding humanity back. not enough beliveing that they can make them selves better and break the mould. It makes me sad when people settle for something less then want they want. and its not the big things it little things that make you who you are for example

my Tech teacher wanted me get into lights instead of sound. now I want to learn lights but sound is my true passassion (along with Filmmakeing) so I strogny but clamly told him id rather do sound fearing that he would get upset with me. but he didn't most people don;t have enough self-estem to do what they want.

my 2 cents

Strictly Commercial
12-09-2005, 01:12
I've noticed any time somebody strives to do something worth doing there is always somebody trying to drag them down. Always somebody who knows so much about your capabilities, who is an expert on what you can't achieve. Who will try to argue that there are too many obstacles to be overcome.

I think someone like Bill "Superfoot" Wallace might find that attitude flawed, seeing as how he is one of the greatest martial artists of all time and has one leg paralyzed. Or Bruce Lee who at one time was paralyzed from the waist down, he never listened to those who said he couldn't come back. I'm sure Walt Disney, with a dishonorable discharge from the military, never listened to everyone who said his life was down the tubes.

So go ahead and say it, if it makes you feel better. But the kids who are going to be astronauts aren't going to be stopped because you say they can't. The only person that can convince you that you can't succeed at your goals is you.

Bmaxwell
12-09-2005, 01:15
amen!! Preach it Commercial!

glad to see some people still belive in human potienal

5upr3m3 h4xx0rz
12-09-2005, 02:21
Welllllllllll, If I had 10-15 years to get ready to take over my dad's business (my dad died when I was in my mid 20's so that isn't an option) I'd be getting ready to run the best darned business out there. Quite frankly 5upr3m3 h4xx0rz, all I'm hearing is a bunch of griping because a seemingly prosperous, successful life is pretty much handed to you and you don't seem to want it. :eyebrows:

Tell your dad to give me a call and *I'll* take over his businesses and you can sit on a beach somewhere until you figure out what you want to do with your life. :eyebrows:

The thing is...i want to do something i like. I want to be able to wake up at 4 in the morning eager to get up and go to work. I cant do this with my fathers business...im not partial to fur coats. But i guess youre right...i should learn to like it and i should be ready to run the best damned business out there.

And im not one of those people who believes the human race is doomed. On the contrary, i believe we have the potential to go much farther than we have. The depressing thing about life is that at some point people begin to think that, maybe because of old age, maybe because they dont have the time, or maybe for some other reason, they wont fulfill their dreams, and thats why our world is as it is today. If people who dreamed about world peace actually strived to fulfill their dream, our world might nor be filled with belligerent, idiot politicians, but with intelligent people who want to do the best for humanity and not for themselves.

starlight
12-09-2005, 02:52
im not partial to fur coats.

Ahhh, but is that *really* what your father's business is all about? :eyebrows:

Or is it about providing luxury goods to high-end clients? :eyebrows:

Or is it about providing excellent service and customer care to high-end clients? :eyebrows:

Just because your father runs it a certain way today, does not mean that you must run it the same way or that the world will even support it when you take over.

Wal-mart used to be a five and dime.

Nucor Steel used to be the Nuclear Corporation of America.

Boeing used to exclusively build bombers for the US military.

My company used to exclusively cater to high-end residential clients, now we serve the commercial sector as well, in addition to having our own construction division.

The answer to what you can do with your (father's) company can be answered by answering these three questions:

What can you be the best in the world at?
What drives your economic engine?
What are you deeply pasionate about?

Don't think about taking over a *company* think about taking over an *oppotunity*!

I'll dig up my suggested reading list for business people.

Alco Engineer
12-09-2005, 02:58
I guess compared to lots out there I've been quite lucky. I had parents who beleived in me and supported me regardless of what I wanted to do. When I was in yr12 and finding the study hard they suggested leaving and taking up a trade or going to TAFE. I had always thought I'd go to uni and thought that those were expectations on me. When I realised there weren't I realised I was doing it for myself and that was enough.

My childhood dream was to become "a doctor or a lawyer" until I was 16. Then I realised Lawyers suck and I hate writing. In the end I realised I wanted a prestigeous job. Not nessisarily to become one of these. I realised after yr10 that I was good at chemistry so I figured chemical engineering was a good choice as I could do what I liked in a prestigeous type career. Then i thought about becoming a Pharmasist as I thought that'd be good too. My decision was made the night I got my HSC results where i could pick either and decided to stick with Engineering. I completed my degree in the 4 year period that many of my class mates extended to make it easier. I failed 1 subject which I did the second time around and although it made it a little harder at the time I'm glad because if I was "given" a pass mark and hadn't had to do it again I wouldn't have really understood it and in the end it's the most fundamental subject to my current job.

I haven't pushed myself really hard but I have driven myself towards what I want and I have acheived it while leaving time to smell the roses along the way. Sure I have a good job that interests me. I also have a wonderful Fiance who we have both shared our fair share of hardship (living 5hrs away from one another for 4 years) but we're both living together and things couldn't be better.

Sure I had mates that made things harder at times and people who put $hit on me. In the end I went after what I wanted and I have it now. Things are never picture perfect but if you "Always look on the bright side of life" then the hard things are put in perspective and most of the time it'll all work itself out IMO.

I don't think a kid should be told. "You will never amount to your dreams" because they can. Realistically there wasn't much hope of an Australian Astronaught but Andy Thomas has been up there and I bet that was his childhood dream.

I think we shouldn't say you can't become a doctor/vet/marine bioloist but instead ask why does that kid want to have a certain job? Is it becasue it sounds like fun? If so then maybe they'd like to do something else that would also be fun and instead of them thinking they never acheived their dreams they can just realise what it was they were really dreaming of....

Inquisitor Engel
12-09-2005, 04:10
When I was but a child, I don't think I ever had my heart set on a career.

When I reached High School, I think I wanted to do something like be a Psychologist or Psychiatrist, and I followed this for a while, at least until I got to College and realised how much science it would take. I enjoy science, I really do, but to do science I have to do Math, and I hate math. Biology isn't my gig either.

So I figured I'd do something with a talent most of my teachers and professors have said I do very very well - writing.

Being a Journalist is a good way to get prestige without necesarilly doing lots of freakishly hard work, but not without some work. My "career" in Journalism has earned me some cash, and my professor put in a recommendation for me at Rolling Stone for an internship today, so we'll see what comes of that. I'm reviewing concerts for the school and local paper now, with my big peice on the Weezer/Foo Fighters (which I was already going to...) coming up. :)

I may not have wanted to do this as a kid. Who dreams of writing for a newspaper?

But I'm damned happy.

Wiseman
12-09-2005, 04:18
I've noticed any time somebody strives to do something worth doing there is always somebody trying to drag them down. Always somebody who knows so much about your capabilities, who is an expert on what you can't achieve. Who will try to argue that there are too many obstacles to be overcome.

I think someone like Bill "Superfoot" Wallace might find that attitude flawed, seeing as how he is one of the greatest martial artists of all time and has one leg paralyzed. Or Bruce Lee who at one time was paralyzed from the waist down, he never listened to those who said he couldn't come back. I'm sure Walt Disney, with a dishonorable discharge from the military, never listened to everyone who said his life was down the tubes.

So go ahead and say it, if it makes you feel better. But the kids who are going to be astronauts aren't going to be stopped because you say they can't. The only person that can convince you that you can't succeed at your goals is you.

i completely agree, (and yes i do know my last post does seem a tad depressing). Ive been constantly told ill never get anywhere with my football, for years, that its to hard, its not worth it, or im not good enough. ive ignore them and now play for a club in my countries top flight of soccer, morale: ignore other people cos they know nothing about your potential

starlight
12-09-2005, 04:53
my professor put in a recommendation for me at Rolling Stone for an internship today

WOOT! Congratulations Engel! Good Luck.

morale: ignore other people cos they know nothing about your potential

In Spades!

In fact I recently read a story of 40+ year old lady who decided to go back to school to become an Engineer. She lost quite a few friends and family because they refused to support her and (in some cases) tried to hold her back because she *couldn't* do it. Today, she's an Engineer.

Another lady I read about dedicated her Med School Grad speech to all the people who said that she'd fail. :p

Scythe
12-09-2005, 07:55
And what's wrong with giving up on life?

I think you're being rather provocative with that comment giving up on life would be commiting suicide surely? Unless you mean becoming the living-dead -- you do what you need to do to survivie but you're mind/spirit is 'dead'.

I think it's better to live reality than live a dream, if that means giving up on what you call 'life' so be it. Hope leaves you so very open to being exploited...

You should have some form of ambition. I mean, why are you here otherwise? It might be as small as making the people around you happy, or life to become happy, if only for a short amount of time. Having a dream or an ambition doesn't mean you have to walk around like a naive fool, and doesn't mean that you can't be realistic. However, it gives your life a purpose.

Otherwise, you indeed become the living-dead.

Wraith
12-09-2005, 09:15
You should have some form of ambition. I mean, why are you here otherwise?

Why am I here? Three options I can see --

(A)First cause exists ('God') it has a plan for me = purpose.
(B)First cause exists ('God') it doesn't have a plan for me = no purpose.
(C)First cause doesn't exist ('God') = no purpose.

Now I don't subscribe to this 'make your own purpose' bull I just find it rediculous short of wanting to live. Even if the the first cause exists and has a purpose for you doesn't mean you're even going to like it.

It might be as small as making the people around you happy, or life to become happy, if only for a short amount of time.

I think in the context we are discussing 'being happy' isn't a dream it is the (hoped) result of following one's dream.

Having a dream or an ambition doesn't mean you have to walk around like a naive fool, and doesn't mean that you can't be realistic. However, it gives your life a purpose.

The last time I had a dream was when I was kid and I wanted to be a Jedi ( :rolleyes: ) -- where should I go from here?

Why is giving yourself 'a purpose' a good thing to do?

Otherwise, you indeed become the living-dead.

And the hazy boarders around reality start to roll back, through your ever increasing indifference to the world you begin see it for what it truly is -- a construct world full of fools, lying to themselves, fighting bloody wars because they disagree on their 'dreams', spending their lives 'hoping' while others harvest the fruits of their struggle, sacrifical lambs to the god-economy.

[EDIT]

My entire point really is this dream business is a joke, really all people want, is food, shelter, warmth, to be safe, and for their loved ones to be safe. Anything more than those desires listed in the world has been spawned because we are all competing with each other, we all want to be top dog, we all want to look down on others, we all want to be ‘the most desirable’, we all want power. This competition has been harnessed at some point, someone found a way to exploit it (big business), and at the alter of the economy all the varied ‘careers’ get spawned etc and the entire society is changed to support the notion of a ‘dream career’. So much of our world is a lie, constructed because of our greed, when in reality all we really want in life is those very basic things I listed in the first sentence.

Luke
12-09-2005, 09:19
for like 17 years i wanted to be some kind of artist or designer. then upon losing 6 and a half stone of buBbLinG FAT i decided i wanted to be a gym instructor. i am now 21 and am a FULLY qualified gym instructor.

sadly though im far too lazy to change from my current job, maybe its just fear of the unknown. i would have to go through that whole new transition phase and i absolutely hate it.

Sojourner
12-09-2005, 11:03
Heh. I never realised you were Blowfish. Howdy.

ironduke
12-09-2005, 11:29
Its very difficult to put this into words. Me i had no ambition, no drive, no dreams. The reason is they were dashed by moving to a foreign country for two years.
Maybe it doesn't sound right for this to be the reason but i have done alot of self assessment and this is where i believe i hit my first hurdle on the bumpy road that is called life.
I was 11 and had loads of friends and was enjoying school it was then we had to move. I don't blame my family because it was something we had to do (my dad is in the RAF). I had no friends so i had to make new ones at school. Here is the problem the only English school in Holland in the area that i lived was in Germany on a camp. Solution i had to go to Boarding School. I have hever hated so many people in my life. The teachers that were there were obnoxious, arrogant bstards who did nothing but quash your spirit and rip you to pieces metaphorically speaking.
So this is where i had to be during the week and there was nothing to do after school so it became very dull and boring and i was stuck reading the same books over and over again. I came home at the weekend to a place where there was no one of my age or remotely reaching it ergo boredom and me wising up. It is here that i matured into the person that i am today. I'm now stuck in the rut where i want to be one thing but financially it is unsound but i have to do another because i am pressurised by the society around me and its members.
Reality sucks to put it into a few words.

Scythe
12-09-2005, 12:29
Why am I here? Three options I can see --

(A)First cause exists ('God') it has a plan for me = purpose.
(B)First cause exists ('God') it doesn't have a plan for me = no purpose.
(C)First cause doesn't exist ('God') = no purpose.

Now I don't subscribe to this 'make your own purpose' bull I just find it rediculous short of wanting to live. Even if the the first cause exists and has a purpose for you doesn't mean you're even going to like it.

*snap*

Why is giving yourself 'a purpose' a good thing to do?

It is what acknowledges your existence, even if only for yourself. It is what makes conscious, aware beings what they are, and not just automatons, like a lot of animals. I do not believe in any 'God' or wathever outside our reach. However, beings aware of themselves can create their own purpose, because they can think about it, at least that's what I believe.

My entire point really is this dream business is a joke, really all people want, is food, shelter, warmth, to be safe, and for their loved ones to be safe. Anything more than those desires listed in the world has been spawned because we are all competing with each other, we all want to be top dog, we all want to look down on others, we all want to be ‘the most desirable’, we all want power. This competition has been harnessed at some point, someone found a way to exploit it (big business), and at the alter of the economy all the varied ‘careers’ get spawned etc and the entire society is changed to support the notion of a ‘dream career’. So much of our world is a lie, constructed because of our greed, when in reality all we really want in life is those very basic things I listed in the first sentence.

If that's really true, humanity would be a stagnant beast. Apperantly there are still people who try to change this world, and have succes with it, no mather how small it might look. Despite the hardness of this world, there's still room for change, and dreams. The moment that's gone, society does really turn into an endless, never changing automaton. Maybe this will happen with humanity sometime, but we're not at that point yet.

x-esiv-4c
12-09-2005, 14:53
I wanted to be the first man on Mars, now I design howitzers.

Meh...

Wiseman
12-09-2005, 14:57
maybe you could make a howitzer that can shoot you all the way to mars? wouldnt that make you live your dream (and still get to muck around with guns)

x-esiv-4c
12-09-2005, 15:02
Well, It could be done and to an extent has been ( well not to Mars, more like orbit ) however only one creature has survived the G-loading of something like a 16" cannon and that was a cockroach, nasty Barbados one too. If one was to find a way to resist the initial G-loading, then yes it would be possible.

Wraith
12-09-2005, 15:30
It is what acknowledges your existence, even if only for yourself. It is what makes conscious, aware beings what they are, and not just automatons, like a lot of animals. I do not believe in any 'God' or wathever outside our reach. However, beings aware of themselves can create their own purpose, because they can think about it, at least that's what I believe.

I think this thread needs to define what a 'dream' is -- people have been talking about 'wants', 'goals' and 'dreams' and I don't think either one of these are the same thing.

I don't believe in creating one's own purpose because it's so arbitray, and rediculous it's like how I view the Nazis who just decided one of their 'dream' was a world without Jews.

Humans are really automatons, we just have the ability to consider the future, I don't see us above other animals.

Apperantly there are still people who try to change this world, and have succes with it, no mather how small it might look.

I don't get your point with this I can change the world just by picking something up, or sneezing etc.

Despite the hardness of this world, there's still room for change, and dreams.

There sure is room for 'dreams'! Every economy in the world relies on you the average joe to persue 'dreams' ('dreams' which are promoted via the media), 'trying to achieve a dream' is big business (tax money for government, revenue for business), and if you don't have a 'dream' you're libel to be stigmatised, called names, and viewed as a 'lesser human being'.

I don't understand your refference to 'change', humanity has been the same for around 7,000 years now -- the rise of civilisation, the economy, and business, as soon as these things were able to be created they were and nothing short of a natural disaster of titanic proportions or a nuclear global war is going to change things.

...society does really turn into an endless, never changing automaton.

Society / civilisation is just that, it's a conveyor belt which spews out humans, which it gives arbitray 'dreams' so they can live out their lives in pursuit of it, in doing so the humans pay tax, earn money, and spend money, give birth to the next generation of tax slav.. err, I mean 'payer' and die.

What happens when a person who's dream is to be rich actually gets rich? They don't know what to do with themselves and can only decide that they have to make 'more money'! The mentality of big business in just one human mind.

You ever wondered if everyone wasn't so enthralled by the idea of 'making it' in what ever pointless persuit they have convinced themselves that they have 'chosen' what people would do? Most people would get the most basic medium payed job, with the least stress possible, and earn just enough to keep alive.

Life is indeed a biological machine, the human brain has developed lots of little delusions for itself to stop it going crazy like a belief in an after life (so it isn't all 'pointless') and in the modern world this new age 'dream' pursuit which people can dedicate their pointless little lives towards.

Kohhna
12-09-2005, 15:36
The good old negative conception of human nature. With an outlook like that I'd say you are either an Anarchist or a Thatcherite.

Wiseman
12-09-2005, 15:43
Wraith your more cynical then me! and call me an idiot (most people do) but what is a Thatcherite?

Wraith
12-09-2005, 18:06
The good old negative conception of human nature. With an outlook like that I'd say you are either an Anarchist or a Thatcherite.

I don't see how it's negative rather realistic, I'm not a thatcherite, anarchist is much too much of a catch all term but yeah.

Wraith your more cynical then me! and call me an idiot (most people do) but what is a Thatcherite?

A thatcherite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thatcherism) [**shudders**] would actually like the reality of the world I described in my last post while an anarchist would be completely apposed to it.

Flame Boy
12-09-2005, 19:50
Well, When I was a child I remember telling my father that I wanted to be a train driver, a soldier and an astronaut all at once, so unless I invaded Mars with my Space-Train, the odds were against me.

I decided at some point that I liked Ancient Egypt and considered studying Egyptology, but the closest thing I could find to study was History. I gained my grades in school and 6th form, got to uni, got seriously depressed and dropped out. I just felt I was sitting around, achieving nothing, I couldn't get a job and my landlord was siphoning money from me constantly, every attempt to get a job on the side to pay for tuition was met with failure because apparently in London, everyone must be born with at least 2 years of experience in a career and some kind of certification/qualification to promote themselves.

I began to feel that even if I did succeed, I was still failing because I'd lost interest in my "Dream" and all I wanted was to have a job I enjoyed and to win the heart of an old friend of mine. I couldn't win her over, and everything I aimed for as a personal goal seemed worthless. As Wraith put it quite succinctly, I bypassed the career goals, I just realised I knew where I wanted to be in life, and that I wasn't ever going to make it.

I feel better now that I've let go of my dreams, I'm still good friends with the friend I formerly loved, we still get on well together and I still care for her, but I know now it isn't my role to be with her.

I live for myself, and if you think that seems selfish, you may be right, I guess it is, but I don't feel I need someone else to be happy, and if I eventually find a job that pays well and doesn't frustrate me or bind me, I know I'll be okay. Perhaps these are the modest ambitions of a broken man, I don't know. However, I'm happy.

I'm going to save up for a holiday, learn to drive and find somewhere new to work. I guess the one think I look forward to is handing in my resignation and watching the realisation on my old manager's face as she realises she can't keep trying to use me as her department's personal servant regardless of my position in the company. The realisation that she might actually have to do some physical work herself. That will be immensely satisfying. I might just bring a camera for that day.

Wraith
12-09-2005, 20:20
…the modest ambitions of a broken man…

I guess the one think I look forward to is handing in my resignation and watching the realisation on my old manager's face as she realises she can't keep trying to use me as her department's personal servant regardless of my position in the company. The realisation that she might actually have to do some physical work herself. That will be immensely satisfying. I might just bring a camera for that day.

:D :)

Poignant post Flame Boy, I can relate considering the similar happenings of my own life…

Inflammable
12-09-2005, 23:30
Hi, my name is Felix. I'm 17 years old and i haven't had future dream as far as I can remember, I guess I'll let life punch me in the face when I finish school. :)

cpl_hicks
12-09-2005, 23:50
i always wanted to be a palentologist (study of dinosaurs), i realised that i would never do this in secondary school, i come from a background that is that well off, we wernt poor but then we wernt rich, and to be a palentologist you really need to have money in the family to go to the top colleges/unis

i went into IT cources, ive got a HND in computing and im going on to do a degree, i want to be a web designer or a IT techy

you dreams dont change they just evolve, wanting to be a palentologist was a dream being a it tech/web designer isa reality

also i did want to be a astronaut i still want to go into outerspace i just look up at the stars some tiems and wonder what is up there

Adept
13-09-2005, 00:20
I wanted to be in the SAS. However, I realised at about age 18 that the requirements are simply too harsh for the type of life I want to live.

So I'm going to be a Commando instead. The difference? You call the SAS when you want to sneak in the back door of a house, shoot one guy in the head, and sneak out again. You call the Commandos when you want to blow up the front door, shoot every one in the house, and burn the goddam thing to the ground!

I was supposed to enlist eight or nine months ago, but missed it through bad timing and injury. Now I re-interview at the end of this year. I should be jumping out of planes and shooting people inside of two years!

:evilgrin:

Added to that, I would like to be a MMA fighter or amateur boxing champ, but time and location have put those dreams firmly on the back-burner.

Easy E
13-09-2005, 01:10
Dreams and reality are two different things.

You will always chase dreams, and you will always live in reality.

Also, you can do anything you want, as long as there is someone that is willing to meet your basic human needs.

Emperor's Light
13-09-2005, 03:19
Life is indeed a biological machine, the human brain has developed lots of little delusions for itself to stop it going crazy like a belief in an after life (so it isn't all 'pointless') and in the modern world this new age 'dream' pursuit which people can dedicate their pointless little lives towards.

If such human pursuits are pointless, wouldn't your ponderings on the pointlessness of human pursuits be equally pointless? After all, nihilistic pondering is itself a human pursuit.

The people who are engaged in pursuits they believe in or love, or in other words - "following their dreams" - take satisfaction from that fact and might even be happy. I don't suppose nihilistic ponderings do the same.

I don't believe in creating one's own purpose because it's so arbitray, and rediculous it's like how I view the Nazis who just decided one of their 'dream' was a world without Jews.

"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth," said Albert Camus.

In the absense of rules, nothing is against the rules. So surely, it is no more arbitrary to live by a purpose of one's own creation than to refuse to do so.

Emperor's Light
13-09-2005, 03:48
Quote taken out of context from some authority figure.

While I am no authority on Camus, I believe what I said would have fit into his notion of the absurd hero, who finds in the absence of meaning of life the freedom to live as he chooses. Or, in my words, to live by a purpose of one's own choosing. Camus found that to be no less valid than to accept the meaninglessness (which, according to him, would entail suicide.)

But what do I know? We of the unwashed masses always await wisdom to dribble down from the slop buckets of your ivory tower, Nurglitch.

Emperor's Light
13-09-2005, 04:12
Well, sorry, never mind then.