PDA

View Full Version : Diary of a workbench

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

Resurrected
09-09-2008, 23:26
Really really freaking amazing stuff, specially the freehand and NMM. You should be proud!

Nightsword
10-09-2008, 00:09
But.... how??? Awesome work.

Geep
10-09-2008, 05:58
Most people suggest painting a model 'from the inside out', starting with the skin. You clearly don't do this- is there any usual painting order you follow, and if so any tricks you have for keeping the already painted areas clean?
Also, your undercoat seems a little rough- is this just a trick of the light? Is it on purpose?

GeOrc
10-09-2008, 11:57
@ Harry,
good to see that you still follow this topic ;)

@ geep,
normaly I also paint a miniature form inside to outside, bu then I do experiments and colour tests I paint the parts where I know how they look ot the parts where I want to test something. Also I prefere painting banners with freehands first because you have to touch more often the miniature then without a banner.

Regards GeOrc

Monsterzonk
10-09-2008, 12:44
Lovely painting and great freehand style. I usually don't like NMM, but you've pulled it of nicely. Keep it up!

Nightsword
11-09-2008, 16:23
Hey mate, just wondered, ever thought of doing this?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/go.php?go=contest&competitionid=0

You'd ace it.

Lorcryst
11-09-2008, 19:10
I'm still following this plog too ... I was a bit too busy to find the time to post a comment, sorry ...

That standard bearer floored me ... I'm still trying to paint moulded banners without paint splashes everywhere (my skills are slowly improving), but I'm nowhere near your level of mastery ... that freehand on the banner is stunning, and your NNM technique seems to be improving (I didn't think that was possible !).

GeOrc
12-09-2008, 11:54
@ Nightsword,
Iīm no fan of online competitions, also I prefer choosing miniatures I like.

@ Lorcryst,
I think there is always romm for improving. Iīm not pleased until my NMM looks like real metal. Thatīs something I work on.

Kind Regards GeOrc

calador
17-09-2008, 00:39
@ Nightsword,
many thanks, because of the light source, I always use a zenital light to define the light on my miniatures.
Because of the glaze, always use it over the whole area. Sometimes you have to light the light areas again, here the white.

Hi GeOrc,

Can you kindly explain what do you mean by zenital light? Many thanks!

GeOrc
21-09-2008, 19:08
Here a test miniature for my Khorne legion. I painted it very quickly as a test for my skulltaker. Hope yoiu like it:

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/zerfleischer01.jpg

Regards GeOrc

Nightsword
21-09-2008, 19:48
That looks great mate. It looks very natural compared to the brighter red tones that some khorne daemons have (like mine!), but the blue looks very bold in contrast, so IMO the blue needs to be toned a little. I really like the transition from red to black but it's hard to tell about the arm because the head casts a shadow over it. Be great to see what colour you'll do the blade, and I'm itching to see to Skulltaker. It's one of my favourite miniatures.

This mini again has that GeOrc stamp on it, great work. It's inspiring.

liamrob
22-09-2008, 15:03
Yeah i second about the blue. It's just a bit too strong.

The piccie wasn't to good either? Once he's finished and a good picture i'll C&C (well try :p) How many points will the khorne legion be?

Mr.chair
22-09-2008, 17:02
Wow, love the blood letter. His skin tones are perfect.

GeOrc
22-09-2008, 21:18
Because itīs already late, I will answer Feedback tomarrow. Here the new progress of the bloodletter:

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/Zerfleischer02.jpg

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/Zerfleischer03.jpg

Hope you like it
Kind Regards GeOrc

Daniel36
22-09-2008, 21:24
That is just plain sick! The gold on the sword hilt is extremely impressive. Good job.

Nightsword
22-09-2008, 22:57
Ah, the NMM hilt. You have achieved what I failed... Beautiful work, can't wait to see the blade.

GeOrc
23-09-2008, 07:36
@ Calador,
Zenital light (ZL) means that you paint light and shadow on your miniature as it would come from an imaginary light source form directly above the miniature. This is different to the Games Workshop painting rules, they teach you to darken the gaps and to highight areas which stand out. From light theory this would be a spot light directly on the miniature from the front. The ZL theory has three rules, gloabal light, geometrical light and detailed light and these reflects how light works on different areas of your miniature. Itīs compicated and difficult to explain, but perhaps I will put everything togehter in a TUT one day. Iīm sure you will also find some detailed TUTs on CMON or other painting boards.

@ Nightsword,
The tongue is also for me to shiny. I still work on to make it darker and more suitable to the miniature.

Because of the NMM, follow the rules set, and donīt forget to maximize the contrast, you see here again form dark to light the full spectrum.

@ liamrob,
only thousand points: two units of bloodletters, 6 hounds and a herald on foot and an BSB on juggernaut.

@ Mr. Chair,
many thanks

Regards GeOrc

75hastings69
23-09-2008, 07:51
WOW!!! As usual Georg I am speechless.

Mallekha
23-09-2008, 09:49
Very pleasant to the eye, that bloodletter, this is the first colour scheme i see on bloodletters that works for me. Makes them look like real beasts instead of bright pokemons. Awesome and detailed work.

the black to red transitions do seem like they could use some more blending on the legs at the darkest areas on the arms. The idea is genius (saved for the future :D) but IMO you either go very sharp contrast on them, or very subtle blending, which i feel is more your style. Still very better job at it than my painting, but im trying to get some constructive criticism to enhance this beaty even better. Looking forward to the end of this one and even more to Skulltaker!

Nightsword
23-09-2008, 10:07
donīt forget to maximize the contrast

Yep, that's definately my problem, but I can see where I'm going wrong using your pic now :) Regarding NMM and the global light position, if the light is coming from above and something overhangs the area that is to be metallic, such as the ork head on my Nobz over the plated armour, would you paint most of the area dark, with a light edging, or would you do a normal dark to light (top to bottom) transition?

Cheers mate, it's looking great. I'm looking forward to your bsb conversion, perhaps using the new warriors of chaos juggernaut rather than the daemon one?

75hastings69
23-09-2008, 12:59
Having had another good look at your images it would appear to me that one of my biggest problems (obviously besides the fact that I need alot of practice and I'm colourbling like a dog!) is the consistency of my paint. Any tips for getting a equal level of consistency each time?

GeOrc
23-09-2008, 15:26
@ Hastings,
ok, some tips,
Must faults were done using the wet palette.

wet Palette:
- Prove that itīs really wet. Wet the surface of the baking paper with your fingers. Thatīs improtant so that the water whcih the baking paper use comes from you and not from the paint which could dry it.

- Work with concentrated dots of paint. I didnt thin the whole paint, always only the edge of a drop. Thats important because only a concentrated (in terms of chemicals) drop has enough osmotic pressure to pull the water through the paper. Once the colour is to thin, the pressure is to low and the paint will dry on the paper. You can check this effect with to drops. Thin one 1:2 and one 1:8. Last on will have a large surface, will loose water to the air much faster and has less osmotic pressure to get the water back. Often concentrated drops are still wet after a night without closing the wet palette.

- taking care of both points above will make sure that your drops will be wet and wonīt dry. Always remember the wet palette only slows down dryness it dosnīt avoid it completly. Thats why you should always thin the paint drops while painting form time to time. The end of this story is, you wonīt have a stable thinning degree on your paint. Your inhomogenous through water loss and inhomogenous because of thinning and thinner paint loose water quicker on the environment.

The stable thinning degree and the right consistancy.

- depends on you and what you will do. Means you have to check the consistancy each time using new paint from th palette. For sure this needs some experience and experience makes it easier to know if it will be to thick or thin, but you have points to check:

1.) Getting the paint.
How said thin your paint only on one edge of the drop. This is inhomogenous but you get an idea of the consistancy thinning the paint a bit away from the drop so that your paint is thin on the palette and you can see the degree of thinning with your eyes. the difference is if you can look through it on the backing paper or if you only see paint.

2.) Peel of the paint.
How already said, the thinning is needed to minimize the volume of pigments. Once minimized you didnīt need the most of the water of your thinned paint. You peel it of on a handkerchief (itīs important that it is a handkerchief, because it sucks the water much better out of your brush then something else.). do this in a twisting movement in a line so that you create a coloured line to erase the water homogenous in your brush. Most important now, check this line. A thcik paint, thinned 1:2 or 1:3 will form a coloured line in size of your brush thickness. A thinned colour for blending, thinned 1:4 - 1:6 will create a line much ticker than your brush and the colour will look pale. This is the most important step when checking consistancy.

3.) Paint.
Now check the behaviour of your colour while painting. Now you see if both steps before were a sucess or if you failed. You need some steps to get a feeling whatīs right and wrong and very quickly you know what to look for in step one and two so that the paint will be right in step three.

I hope this helps...
I try to make some pics this evening which shows more exactly what I tried to say.

Regards GeOrc

75hastings69
23-09-2008, 20:10
I think I understand Georg, thanks for the excellent tips. My problem it seems may not be the consistency so much (as in water to paint ratio) as in failing to draw the brush across anything prior to use, that is why I am not getting enough colour, as I am oviously still getting paint loaded with water. I'll have a practice tonight with your advice and see how things go.

Thanks again for all your advice Georg, and for your inspirational painting skills.

Steve

p.s. Have a check at your PM or Email.

GeOrc
23-09-2008, 22:11
Hi Steve,
hope the tips work for you.
As I understand right your problem is you work with to thinned colour. be careful this can be as wrang as working with to thick colours. Brsuh movement to get a homogenous painting is the most important thing when painting. You can her make the most errors. I will write some tips together for you, but this will need some time as well as think about the mail.

Here the finished Bloodletter:

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/Zerfleischer04.jpg

Hope you like it. Itīs only a testminiature, painted very quickly to see if my ideas work. The Skulltaker will be better and the rest of the unit as well.

Kind Regards GeOrc

bluewolf74727
23-09-2008, 22:15
that looks great wish i could paint like that

Nightsword
23-09-2008, 22:39
Jebus christ you turn around a miniature quickly. The blade is everything I imagined it to be, and even as a test mini, it's stunning.

And can there really be problems with thinning your paint too much?

LordKhaine
23-09-2008, 23:21
that bloodletter is FRAGGIN' awesome!!

(fraggin isnt a real swear word its a 40k swear word, geek points to me!)

keep it up, loving it!

ReaperOfSouls
24-09-2008, 09:23
@ Hastings,
ok, some tips,
Must faults were done using the wet palette.

Great tips. Will try this out sometime and maybe I will finally get the hang of using a wet palette. My attempts so far has been less succesful, most likely due to too much thinning of the paint.

The bloodletter is looking stunning as well. Makes me feel a bit sad that you a much higher quality then I could ever do when you simply make a quick test model :cries:

GeOrc
24-09-2008, 09:42
@ Nightsword,
yes there can,
if to thin you need to much layers to get a result. When painting to much on the same ares you will fill up your (microscopic) gaps and erase your pigments on higher (microscopic) parts. In the End you have a closed very smooth surface where no paint will get grip on. You canīt paint on it or even think about paint with thinned colours. Itīs the only fault there only paint stripping helps. In all cases I can rescure every miniature (surface prepared correctly but painted badly) in 10 - 15 min. I often show this on my workshops turning a very bad blending in a perfect blending within some minutes. This is only possible then the surface (two component priming or a a good on component priming) is still intact. As soon as it is smooth like wax no rescue is possible. So be aware of to thinned colours! The goal is to get a perfect result quick and with as less layers as possible. Only then a miniature look coloured and not painted.

@ Reaper,
itīs only experience, when painting as much as I do, you will be very quick on a high standard. But you will have problems with painting below your best and thatīs why you normaly need much time to turn every miniature in a perfect one. Doing something as a test is for me the chance to be less perfect in my blendings and correctness of painting all parts on the same standard. Normaly my miniaturs are from below as good as from every visible view. So paint more... oh and try to visit some workshops, that will hurry up your skills an boost you up quickly.

Regards GeOrc

Nightsword
24-09-2008, 09:50
Thank you mate. Great tips, and although I don't use a wet pallette, very very useful. Perhaps I do in fact thin my paints too much. That is something to experiment with eh.

Cheers again.

ReaperOfSouls
24-09-2008, 10:59
You never know what you might learn when entering a log here at warseer. It happened to me once or twice when painting the carapace of my gaunts that suddenly the paint wouldn't stick when I was trying to paint the streaks on them. Now I understand why. I did use quite thin colors when painting on the base and ended up with the waxy surface you describe. At least now I know how to avoid it :)

Nightsword
24-09-2008, 15:07
Another message from me :rolleyes:

I'd just like to say thank you again for the advice and help and tips and all manner of stuff that you give out. Today, I got what I consider to be a good blend from dark to light by using less water. It's as close to perfect as I've got to, and for once, it's noticeable. Mr Damm, thank you.

AinuLainour
24-09-2008, 17:14
Your style fits the bloodletter quite nicely. I'll be trying to emulate that when I get around to mine.. :)

Chaos Mortal
27-09-2008, 17:08
Hello GeOrc,

great work so far, your NMM as has been said is great.

ps. Do you post on Das Bemalforum? i read there alot and just noticed you have the same avatar as Georg Damm on the magasins and Nightsword called you Mr Damm.

tcraigen
27-09-2008, 20:23
Awesome letter dude, the skin looks amazing

Mr.chair
07-10-2008, 17:08
That blood letter is the best I've seen yet. Not only is the painting extraordinary, but your choice of colors has really captured the essence of the model.

I'm glad I caught that wet palette advice. I have one that's been giving me trouble as well. It was drying out all the time, but thanks to your advice I think the problem will soon be fixed.

Jonke
16-10-2008, 17:40
That sword blade is just amazing! As is the whole model, but I don't expect anything less from you ;)

txamil
16-10-2008, 19:39
I love that model except for the horns.

Great work as always. I look forward to the many tutorials you've been promising on the last couple of pages:)

Khorghan
16-10-2008, 21:43
aahh stop pulling this thread up! i always get exited when i see it in my subscribed threads.
I'm looking at you mr chair

GeOrc
19-10-2008, 19:36
Ok, after yesterday Chaos is released, I can show what I have worked on the last weeks:
Iīt was Sigvald the Slaaesnh Champion. I paint it for an Gamers Workshop event next weekend and because it was unreleased I wasnīt able to show WIP pics. Now the silence has an end. The mini is very experimental. I never painted SENMM before and give it a try here to show the mirror shild. The SENMM works best on small areas like on the breast armour. The shild misses the mirror of the battlefield but perhaps I will add a battle on it later. I hope you like it

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/bilder/public/sigvald04.jpg

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/bilder/public/sigvald05.jpg

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/bilder/public/sigvald06.jpg

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/bilder/public/sigvald07.jpg

Kind Regards GeOrc

N810
19-10-2008, 19:43
:eek::eek::eek::eek:......
(speachless)

Shadowphrakt
19-10-2008, 21:15
That is truly amazing mate...you should be very happy with it - you've nailed SENMM

Braad
19-10-2008, 21:55
Insane. That's just too pretty.

May we carve an effigy of your likeness, so that we can worship you a bit easier?

75hastings69
20-10-2008, 06:50
OMG!!! Probably my second favourite thing you've done to date (behind the Bloodletter). Excellent stuff Georg - the SENMM looks a treat. Very, very impressive, also looks better with the dark hair.

Murrayskull
20-10-2008, 08:41
I'm always checking back to look at this thread because you paintwork is stunningly good. I think you have done an incredibly impressive job on the Sigvald minature.

Almindale
20-10-2008, 12:04
*jaw drops to the ground* Bloody hell!!! That is amazing. And you're planning on adding a battlefield mirror image? Incredible stuff GeOrc, you're always impressing me with your work. Sigvald really would look at himself all day long if his shield is THAT shiny :D

Jimjim
20-10-2008, 12:22
WOW!!! Your Sigvald is the most amazing thing I've seen in years!! Your painting is astonishing!!

Lorcryst
20-10-2008, 18:40
What the ... ?

Holy ... !

And that shineeeeeee armor and shield is NNM ?

GAAAAAAH !

*mind breaks*

*devolves into a gibbering, drooling wreck*

shabbadoo
15-12-2008, 09:37
Now THAT is a Sigwald worth looking at! GW's version doesn't even spark a thought of Slaanesh or Chaos in my mind. I pretty much loathed the Sigvald model as being unrepresentaive of Slaanesh or Chaos until seeing your version of it.

Beautiful job.

Lord Azoth
15-12-2008, 14:22
Georc..where aer youuu?...we need more of your work to get amazed ;)

Edahlo
15-12-2008, 14:56
Excellent painting, really smooth. Your models look very much "alive". I rarely rate blogs, but I have to give this one 5 stars. Hope to see more from you.

- Edahlo

Silrith
10-03-2009, 03:34
Dear Georg.

I happened across this thread a few hours ago, and I have now read every post,
and spent plenty of time admiring your work. You have my sincere respect for
your immense discipline, and your divine level of creativity. I used to consider
myself a decent painter, yet I have now come to understand that I am merely a
stumbling infant compared to what it is possible to achieve.

Not only do you inspire and amaze me, but you do so in different ways and for
different reasons. Of course, you raise this hobby to an artform. However, it is
not only the incredible results you achieve that impress me, it is also how you
view your own work, how easily you discern what few and tiny flaws there are,
and the ammount of insight into your own cabability. Also, whenever you reveal
the creative thinking behind each work, I am baffled. You tell a story with each
of your pieces, and it is tremendously inspiring.

I wish that someone of your talent and with your level of insight was able and
willing to aid me on my long way towards perfection, and I consider the people able to
attend your workshops lucky indeed.

Thank you for all the knowledge and inspiration you have left me with this night,
and please keep posting.

StormCrow
10-03-2009, 08:30
and please keep posting.

it's been about 5 months since an update, so i don't know if your chances are too good :(

Braad
10-03-2009, 14:09
Wow, that's not a post, that's a true letter!

And I know letters when I see one.
But that's coming from a postman, so not really surprising... :p

Btw, where did Georc go? I can assure you he is missed around here, with all the excellent work he posted.

tcraigen
10-03-2009, 14:22
Not enough attention probably got bored posting with no replies. Its sad because it truly is stunning work I miss it as well.

Braad
10-03-2009, 16:14
That's because most people here just look, and dont' type. You only get about 1 reaction per 50 views. So people: get posting!

Aflo
10-03-2009, 16:46
I'd like to see an update :D

That Sigvald is phenomonal...

Godfiend
11-03-2009, 07:34
I, too, miss these updates, as GeOrc is easily my single favorite painter on these boards. If you're reading this, GeOrc, we miss you! ::(

Lord Azoth
11-03-2009, 08:57
now heīs posting some things in druchii.net:

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=60126

Silrith
11-03-2009, 16:11
Many thanks for the notice, Azoth.

GeOrc
23-03-2009, 09:26
Hi all,
thanks for the kind words and the warm words to continue work here.
Ok whatīs up.

First, things in real life have become difficult. I had a lot of work in my job which needs most of my concentration. This means less time for the hobby and much worser a lot of days without energy for the hobby even though I have some spare time. so I concentrated on things where I have the most fun. Thatīs why for example I returned gaming beside the painting and modelling. Also I spend my less time exclusively on painting and modelling and less about talking or writing about it. thatīs why I have reduced my postings on all boads, due to the less time and also that I can concentrate on my job and work there and less with reading and answering postings.

A second thing I disturbed was the less response I get here in the end. Looking at the hit numbers and looking at the feedback postings frustrates me more and more. Sure it will be difficult give critic and feedback to miniatures which look already nice. But Iīm here as well to talk about my work and not only to present pics. There should be a give and take as in real life and here it becomes more and more an imbalance showing pics and getting no conversation. That has happen several times the last years and always I jumped to the next board were geting Feedback, Questions and critik vs. writing Tutorials, Answering questions and receiving Compliments is in balance. Thatīs why I feel in the moment at druchii.net more comfortable as here. This also due to the fact that I returned to the game and especially on my beloved dark elfs. I had some very interesting projects there together with some old friends and forum members. So my focus is set there in the moment.

But because of the resurrection of this topic I will keep an eye on it and perhaps there will be something in the future I can posting here as well.

Kind Regards GeOrc

GundamMecha
23-03-2009, 11:53
Hi GeOrc.

It's great to see you back here, I have only just found your blog myself and I have really enjoyed reading through your posts and looking at the examples of your work.

Your painting style reminds me very much of Rackhams studio style. It was a great tragedy for me when Rackham moved to prepainted plastics, and now it is harder and harder to find confrontation metals. It's a real shame because I think artisitically Rackham had some amazing concepts and artistic vision. I really love their Dirz range and the undead figures and recently stocked up myself a great deal on the undead minis for my Vampire Counts collection.

Your painting style is very interesting, the dusting of various different primers. I have heard it discussed in the past but have never tried it myself. It certainly does give some interesting effects, however for myself I prefer more natural tones for metalics. Your NMM technique is great and the Svigald for example is very pretty but for me its a little too much.

I think my love for realism in painting comes from my interests in scale modeling. Your work here is great don't get me wrong, and very inspirational.

I would be very interested to know how you approach working with resin models with this sparying technique? I often find that an even and full coat of primer is needed with resin due to the stronger mould release agents and the properties of the medium. Have you applied this technique to resin kits?

Please do keep posting here I myself and I am sure many other love your work. Also why not visit Dakka Dakka, we have a wide base of artists and modelers there with some great expeirence who would love to see some of this stuff of yours!

Daniel36
23-03-2009, 13:53
Hi all,
thanks for the kind words and the warm words to continue work here.
Ok whatīs up.

First, things in real life have become difficult. I had a lot of work in my job which needs most of my concentration. This means less time for the hobby and much worser a lot of days without energy for the hobby even though I have some spare time.

I know how you feel pal. Same here.

But anyhoo... You say you post here less because you don't get much criticism, but it's difficult to point out anything on models as flawless as yours. They are just too brilliant.

I hope you get more spare time soon, and I hope you won't forget the Warseer community, whether or not they always come up with constructive feedback.

GeOrc
23-03-2009, 14:16
@ Daniel36
itīs not onyl critisism, I think there are a dozen things ppl could talk about beside how to do better. For eample how to do, why this and why taht, what idea behind... etc.
I think ppl only have in mind what to do better but if many ppl feel there isnīt something to do better, why they didnīt discuss th miniature itself, have questions or comments, ideas...etc. I think itīs not only that ppl didnīt know what to critisize on a miniatureī.. Iīm a bit provocative now, itīs not meant that hard... I think for most itīs entertainment here but this will become boring for the thread starter one day if there very poor reaction to the stuff he upload.

Kind Regards
GeOrc

burtnernie
23-03-2009, 14:32
Well GeOrc I have followed your posts quite regularly I have to say, if you want some debate and discussion I am interested in how to achieve a good effect on stones, I have posted something in the MP & T section and had a couple of responses, but having seen your work it would be interesting to get your take on the idea for sure.

This piece will be my 1st GD entry this year, so I want to try and make as best a showing as I can as I don't think I am ready to compete for prizes yet, that said as I am it needs to be well managed and coordinated with technique and colour to ensure it look semi reasonable.

It's like on old senate, I will post pictures of my idea tonight and maybe you can give me some thoughts?

Cheers

Burt

N810
23-03-2009, 15:10
I know wht you mean I have had a Log on here for a while,
and I might have 3 or 4 post untill I get a single reply.
Even rarer that I actualy get any usefull advice. :(

Your painting is by far the best I have seen on this site and it would be a shame to loose you.

Imus
23-03-2009, 15:19
just like the say your painting is top class, really enjoy looking a the models. Also the tips are very handy. Though i do have two questions for you GeOrc.

1) When you undercoat, do you spray black then white over in order to help pick out the light source?

2) Also a question back to blending, ive recently been trying to improve mine and i tend to paint in watery/glaze layers bit by bit to get a smooth finish, but no matter what i try i just cant get rid of that painted look, rather than smooth such as yourself? Any tips?

legopirate
23-03-2009, 16:33
Hi Georc

it's a bit like gorgeous girl syndrome. Some things are so good you just want to admire from a distance.

I rarely comment on any of the threads here, not because they're not amazing, and not because they don't inspire me. Mainly because I don't want to post another "wow it's great" comment.

Your paintjobs are incredible, please continue to post them. They inspire me every time.

LP

Griffonclaw
23-03-2009, 16:33
These models are absolutely awesome, but you might've heard that before :D
Did you win a golden demon, if so how many? And for how long have you been waiting.

Please, don't feel demotivated by getting no feedback or whatsoever, we all know it happens a lot, allthough we don't do enough about it! I hope you take comfort in knowing there's still a group of people who enjoy your work AND take the time to comment.

I'll be waiting in a dark corner for another update :chrome:

Nightsword
23-03-2009, 18:36
I for one miss your posts, and I was very much a culprit for trying to get knowledge out of you. So, may we talk about Sigvald? How did you go about planning what colours you were going to use, and what happened to the mini once you finished him? What was your reasoning behind the blue tinged skin as opposed to something warmer? Did you ever add the battle to the SENMM shield? Do you have any plans for a GD this year, or has work and life taken presidence?

Unfortunately, high view count low post count syndrome is rife on the warseer forum, and it is demotivating for sure. But I found you do get a bit of a following going round and they are the people to have a discussion with. You vary your work in a such a way that you must have one of the biggest following on here. There's always new names coming up. Take heart mate, people really do appreciate your work.

EDIT: In actual fact, me and putty actually have discussions about your work lol, and why we think you did something one way as opposed to another, things like that. Your work is only one of a few that we have a meaningful discussion about.

Captain prophet
23-03-2009, 18:58
:eek: WOW everything is just perfect........ i think you melted my brain

GeOrc
24-03-2009, 11:38
Donīt forget the main reason for my silence was / is my concentration on real life. The feedback play a part but a minor compared to things I have to manage in my job and life. So please donīt assess that to much. Evan with more feedback here Iīm limited in my time answereing every question and every feedback as good as it deserves and I wish to, so please have patience with me.

@ burtnernie,
I will write together a shart discription how I create bases for you, but this will need some time. Perhaps Iīm able to do next weekend.

@ Imus,

1. The white primer doesnīt act as simulation for the light source, I need it to get a better grip for the thinned colours.

2. Iīm sure you do some mistakes when thinning paints. Itīs important to strip the water out of the brush after you have touched the thinned colour. Use a handkerchief for that. If you paint then on your miniature you should only put a small, homogen, thin colour layer on your surface which dries at once behind your brush!

@ legopirat,
How said, I think there are a lot of things we can talk about beside saying great or bad. For example what inspirates you or what part you like or dislike.

@ griffonclaw,
I have 12 demon trophies, 6 gold, 6 silver. I started in 2001 and was 2 times not succesful. 2003 I won my first gold trophy.

@ Nightsword,
I know you are one of the constant followers of this topic liek many others to. How said disapearing here was more to my lack of time then not receiving feedback. But with less time and to have to deciede between different boards I choose others because they fit more my current interesst and the receiving feedback. That doesnīt mean that I was comfortable here at all.

Because of your Sigvald Questions.
They choice of colours was in first instance influenced by a former miniature I painted:

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/S-Lord12.JPG

This was many years ago. I decieded to go with the purple, violett. Then I decieded to use the complimentary colour green. This disappeared later because I didnīt like the effect, only the eyes stay green. This can be seen on this WIP pic:

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/sigvald02.jpg

The skin was influenced by my vampires and I would repeat the colours from the armour in the face, thatīs why I added purple blueish shades. The combination red, green, purple in the face and the view from his lowering head give him this joker face. I didnīt lieked it in the beginning but feel better in the end because this adds this overall madness look through this joker assiciation.

You see that evan if you plan a colour choice it can change until painting. I always tend to deciede in the beginning for an athmosphere and so if my miniature should look warm, cold, or neutral. Then I deciede for two complimentary colours from the colour circle which fit to the theme and miniature I will present and center it on the colour temperature needed for the athmosphere. I start with areas I know how they look like and the unknown coloured areas then come from itself through needed contrast setting or pointing out a detail or area.

Because of GD competition this year. I everything went well I will take part in france in a month. But the projects are secret, I will show them after the competition.

Thanks for your deep interest in my work.

Kind Regards GeOrc

burtnernie
24-03-2009, 12:18
Hi GeOrc, that would be great if you could spare some of your time to do that and I would be most appreciative, I look forwards to hearing from you, PM when you have so I am sure not to miss it.

Thanks again for sharing things with the community.

tcraigen
24-03-2009, 18:45
Amazing work, I really do enjoy reading about the process and your work even if I don't comment I'm always watching over the thread like a hawk in hopes of picking up some ideas and run off abilities. I really love the slannesh character and have considered picking it up my self. I can't wait to see the future work.

Aflo
24-03-2009, 19:39
Because of your Sigvald Questions.
They choice of colours was in first instance influenced by a former miniature I painted: ... I start with areas I know how they look like and the unknown coloured areas then come from itself through needed contrast setting or pointing out a detail or area.

I love this kind of post. Colour choice and composition is something I'm just coming aroun to understanding and using and example like this help me immensely. Thanks for taking the time :)

TheZombieSquig
28-03-2009, 04:29
I really like that slaanesh hero. My eyes are drawn to its menacing face. The armour is beautiful and vibrant, but it obviously covers something evil. It brilliantly captures slaanesh.

Mr.chair
30-03-2009, 16:59
Like everyone else, I'll do my best to start posting rather than just devouring the pictures in silence. Your work is always great to behold. I think we'd all appreciate a look at the dark elves you mentioned. If you post pictures I promise to think of something good to say :)

GeOrc
30-03-2009, 18:50
@ Mr.Chair,
I will update this topic in the next days, as soon as I have some spare time.
Because of my dark elfs... I think about make a own topic in the fantasy projects for them. Concept, sculpturing and paiting here in this topic, and the finished stuff togehter with some fluff and battlereports on the new topic....

Tales of Blood and Slaughter... the Temple of Khaine...

sounds like a lot of fun.

Kind Regards GeOrc

Ravenseye
31-03-2009, 08:47
I know I don't have a ton of postings on the forum here, or even a single mini posted so I apologize for not having a stable of pics to show.

I do enjoy your work GeOrc, but there is something that bugs me about Sigvald, and I've been able to pin it down.

If you look at the reflections on the armor, and look at the basing choice you've made, there is a bit of a disconnect there. A smooth surface, such as the shield, should reflect the nature of the terrain surrounding the model. The chest plate is fine because details would be lost in the smaller rounded surfaces there.

Thanks,
Mike

GeOrc
01-04-2009, 21:46
Hi all,
here my latest work and some reason for my silence, todays APRIL FOOL
Many thanks to all who have belived that she is a real Games Workshop miniature. Here are better pics and so you can deciede yourself how good she is and how close Iīm on sculpturing a miniature in GW Quality. I hope you arnīt too disappointed about my fool and that this miniature wonīt be available. Iīm sure GW will do a Death Hag miniature in near future and hopefully she will be as good or even better than mine.

Enjoy:

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/Death_Hag.jpg

Kind Regards GeOrc

Enjoy

EmperorNorton
01-04-2009, 21:52
Very nice and I think she surpasses GW quality.
The only little thing that doesn't seem perfect is on the back of her left leg, above the calf.
I'd buy one if you were to get her cast (I assume you are not, though).

silverstu
01-04-2009, 22:09
That's a fantastic April Fool and a magnificent sculpt- i actually thought it was a Chris fitzpatrick sculpt when I saw it appear on the thread[which I hope you take as a compliment]. She looks very severe - and the hands, specifically the pointing finger, are very impressive. Are you not tempted to get her cast? Very, very impressive. I must say i'm really looking forward to seeing you paint her.

Punk_in_Drublic
01-04-2009, 22:13
Awesome sculpt! Any plans for your Cauldrons? I'm really looking forward to your DE plog, with battle reports and all, hot damn! Get cracking!

Oh, and I'd buy one too.

Laters,

-Punk

Braad
01-04-2009, 22:18
You were complaining about too little feedback, weren't you?
Well, I'll try to give you a hard time then :D

I think the eyes are a tad bit too large. The rest of the facial features look nice though, but the eyes just don't cut it for me yet...

The underside of the end of the front part of the loin-cloth (beyond where it curls around her leg), it seems to me the greenstuff surface is not as smooth as it could be. There's a few other spots that could be a tad bit better maybe, though that might just be nitpicking. But for example on her chest and face the greenstuff surface seems to be finished nice and smooth.

I'm not sure what to think about the ribbed horns on her helmet. I think they could be a bit better, but can't really say how. Example pic I found on google: http://webspace.ship.edu/prdeli/images/Pablo%20Antilope.jpg

Well, that's it for now. Hope you can do something with this, and if not, or if you're just happy enough, that's great too. It's an excellent model as it stand now, and I really like the concept of the whole thing.
Also love the way how you put the skulls on the spikes on top.

Sorry to say you didn't fool me. Didn't see the model before, and even if I had, I don't think GW uses the brown stuff you got there...

Come to think of it... no-one fooled me today... we Dutch must be boring people.

Monsterzonk
01-04-2009, 22:22
She looks great! I really like the hands and the face. Good job on those! The armour looks good too, but it's hard to really see how smooth it actually is. I bet that'll be more visible once she's painted.
I'm not entirely sold on the rack on her back (the one with the skulls on top). It looks kinda flat to me, to be honest. Maybe round the edges some more to make it look more grown instead of cut out. (Man, my English is really letting me down here...)
Alright. I'll try again. If you did a cross section (Querschnitt) of that, it would look like this:

[]

What I'd prefer is this shape:

/\
\/

Maybe that makes it clearer... Well. Probably not.
Anyways, great work! And I really look forward to seeing her painted!

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

Harry
01-04-2009, 22:22
That's a fantastic April Fool and a magnificent sculpt- i actually thought it was a Chris fitzpatrick sculpt when I saw it appear on the thread[which I hope you take as a compliment]. She looks very severe - and the hands, specifically the pointing finger, are very impressive. Are you not tempted to get her cast? Very, very impressive. I must say i'm really looking forward to seeing you paint her.
I thought it looked like a Chris Fitzpatrick sculpt the first time I saw it.

She is a great sculpt and I love the similarities to the warhammer online concept art. She will look great painted up by 'The Dark Elf Master'. :D

Godfiend
01-04-2009, 22:29
I love the scuplt and can't find anything to point out, but I'm quite a noob at these things and mostly just drool at the work you do. Your modelling work, both this one and the dark elf you're working on at druchii.net, are right up there with GW and other miniature companies (it reminds me of Avatars of War a bit, whom I love), while your painting is leagues beyond GW. You could probably get some work there if you ask the right people ;).

DioīRa
01-04-2009, 22:34
That sculpt reminds of concept art for witch elves from Warhammer online age of reckoning....Mhmmmm ;)

this piece perhaps:

http://mythicmktg.fileburst.com/war/us/home/images/conceptart/WAR_concept_nov08-08.jpg

excuses for the large size of picture :o

Gonfrask
01-04-2009, 22:39
Really impresive, great work no doubt. Not only itīs look a GW models, in fact the face remember how sculpt Chris Filtzpatrick (from the Dark Elves previus edition models). Make contact with workshop or even Avatars of war, maybe you win some money :P

Kasrkin 666
02-04-2009, 00:08
Omg that's amazing! I want it!:D

-Sunny

N810
02-04-2009, 02:14
Dang how did I forget that you where a master sculptor too :eek:

whitewookiee
02-04-2009, 08:57
Holy hell the god's of chaos shine there light on you champion.

They are amazing i love everything........... Jawdrops!

Urgat
02-04-2009, 10:17
Not only itīs look a GW models, in fact the face remember how sculpt Chris Filtzpatrick (from the Dark Elves previus edition models).

Yeah, and that would be my only complain about that sculpt. I really don't like these androgyne faces (fine for male elves, but for females? Ewww).
The rest is aceplusplus though :)

GeOrc
02-04-2009, 11:46
Hi all,
many many thanks for all the feedback and the kind words.

@ Emperor Norton,
thanks for the hint, I will take a look at that again.
Because of the casting. The mini was made by an artwork which is of Games Workshop Intelektual Proporty. I directly transformed an GW Artwork into a miniature, so the only chance that this miniature will be commercially available is if GW will release it but this wonīt happen. Perhaps I will share some copies with very close friends but in the moment it semmes that she is not castable.

@ silverstu,
Iīm a great fan of Chris. He teached me much in my early days when starting sculpturing and his style will be always a part of my own one. Unfortunatly I lost contact to him but after having a new green I will try to conntact him again to ask what he think of it.

@ Punk in Drublic,
yes I have plans, this girl will be the centerpoint of my Cauldron BSB. I have to sculpture two further hags and a crippled ......... ok I wonīt tell to much, this will be a different story to tell at another time.

@ Braad,
many thanks, you see I was busy to get attention back to my topic. Looks that I was succesful :)
Because of the eyes you are right. I love bigger eyes, because it supports you to paint them realisitc with eyecolour and iris, but I agree they a tick to thick. I will do some further corrections on her and also some details are still missing because of my lack in time but I will add this stuff before she will see colour.

@ Monsterzonk,
because of the armour, just take a look at the posted artwork, there you can see where this all will end when she will be coloured. Because of the trophy circle, Here the most details I will add with painting it, so it will look much more detailed than on the blank sculpt.

@ Harry,
many thanks

@ Godfiend,
I think about if I would be right at GW... I didnīt know... but for sure I couldnīt do the things there which I love... a lot of twisted dark elfs. But Iīm still interested in taking a look into GW and the work there perhaps itīs fun. Perhaps I get the chance someday. Never say never :)

@ Dioīra
Exactly, this was my artwork I tranlated into 3 D

@ Gonfrask,
Iīm in contact with Felix, he also gave me a lot of tips and helped me much with some earlier projects. Iīm interested in what he will say this time when I show him my girl.
Because of GW, if they would be interested in the sculpt I would interested that this miniature would be available for all of you.

Many thanks to all for their feedback and kind words.

Kind Regards GeOrc

Putty
02-04-2009, 11:57
http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/Death_Hag.jpg

Opps... i missed this update.

Very high quality sculpt here... very sharp... razor detailing... its a NMM painters wet dream with all the surfaces to blend. :D

Some of the surface flaws has already been pointed out so I have nothing to add.

It might be too much to ask but do you think its possible to add some runewords or engraving on the sword?

Top notch stuff nonetheless.

Monsterzonk
02-04-2009, 13:40
@ Monsterzonk,
because of the armour, just take a look at the posted artwork, there you can see where this all will end when she will be coloured. Because of the trophy circle, Here the most details I will add with painting it, so it will look much more detailed than on the blank sculpt.

Fair enough. With your skills I'm sure it'll come out nicely. I find it always hard to really judge a green, just because they often lack the depth that can and will be added by painting. I'll be watching (and undoubtedly enjoying) this!

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

Nightsword
02-04-2009, 15:49
Woo, he returns :D

Thank you for the Sigvald answers, it's always very interesting to read (and look at your pictures ;) ) how you go about things and how things develop. As for your secret GD projects well... I wouldn't have it any other way XD Can't wait to see them!

The elf is class. You're one of those people who are sickenly talented. I need to practice more...

Messiah
03-04-2009, 00:38
Awesome april fools. Cool mini and great work. :D

Mr.chair
06-04-2009, 15:55
The miniature is outstanding. I would agree, though, that the eyes look a bit strange. Actually, something about the face in general is a bit off to me, but I'm having a hard time deciding what it is. The cheekbones seem a bit wide, perhaps? Overall I think the sculpt is incredible. I don't think you're to GW standards yet, but I have no doubt at all that you'll be there soon. My favorite part of the model is the hair, especially viewed from the back. It looks fantastic. Please don't take any of my criticisms as nitpicking, I think you're an artist!

Gadhrain
06-04-2009, 16:05
It's just inhumane and very insensitive not casting it!! :cries:

Think about the rest of us poor miniature addicted buggers out here!! ;)

Great stuff!

/Gadhrain

Leonathion
06-04-2009, 20:18
OMG! I want that girl so bad!

GeOrc
20-04-2009, 21:43
Hi all,
Iīm back from the french Golden DEmon competition. Iīm very happy, two more trophies are my own.

I get bronze in warhammer fantasy single entrie with my whit lion prince. A very good result for a unconverted straight out of the box miniature:

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/WhiteLionHero12.jpg

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/WhiteLionHero13.jpg
http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/WhiteLionHero14.jpg
http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/WhiteLionHero15.jpg
http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/WhiteLionHero16.jpg

Here some suff I still work on. My disciples of Khaine. I wasnīt able to fisnish my whole 10 men strong unit but the rules allowed me to present also a 5 men strong unit because it have to be minimum miniatures as are need from rule side in the armybook. Because I had no special champion I used the best looking trooper as champion. The unit won silver. A good result for the small unit:

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_01.jpg

rest as link

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_02.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_03.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_04.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_05.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_06.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_07.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_08.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_09.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_10.jpg

And my old Repeating Bolter Thrower get a finalist. Iīm really happy about that because two years ago it doesnīt see the final vitrin.

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/Repetierspeerschleuder11.jpg

I hope you like the stuff. Here some Pics of the other Winners

http://haekel.free.fr/spip.php?article131

Cheers GeOrc

Aflo
20-04-2009, 21:49
Congrats on the well deserved trophies. The lion prince in particular is extremely well done.

Gonfrask
20-04-2009, 22:20
Holy...! That unit is amazing, but the french GD is the most competitive, so a silver trophie is great prize

N810
21-04-2009, 00:40
Seriously how do you sleep at night knowing you have that much talent. :eek:

Murrayskull
21-04-2009, 08:49
Congratulations on your trophies. You have been quite an inspiration for me to improve my painting skills, mainly working at thinning as i go atm.

Could you tell me how you achieve your bloodstains on your weapons, I will look back and check if you have already posted so no need to repost if you have.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Lord Azoth
21-04-2009, 09:54
really love your DE unit... really amzing one...

Iīll try to copy some things in my own units..
by the waym will you ost any green photos?, It would be highly appreciated...

My only critic is abut scratches...to me there are too many over all the minis, swords, armors etc..some of them look about to break due to the damage

GeOrc
21-04-2009, 11:48
Thanks for the compliments:

@ N810,
I sleep good, many thanks ;) Donīt forget for me is this totaly normal stuff but Iīm impressed every day too when seeing some work of my colleagues.

@ M-Skull,
I start with a red Gore and Dark flesh mix and painting the splatter on the blades. When I give the blood more deep with adding chaos Black (broken with some blueish colour, for example Hawk Turquoise or Regal Blue) to this mix. In the end I add some thinned gloss vanis with a little bit of the basic mix in it.

I hope this helps

@ Lord Azoth,
Here one of the standard Bearer, others will follow:

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/Khainiten_01.jpg

Kind Regards GeOrc

Lord Azoth
21-04-2009, 12:15
thanks GeOrc, looking forward more photos...

the arms are made from chaos barbarian + corsairs + GS or is all modelled (love how they look and Iīīl try to "copy" them as well as I can)

GeOrc
21-04-2009, 12:20
the arms are as well as the skirts from the imperial flagelants + corsair hands

Looking forward to your Khainites ;)

Cheers
GeOrc

tcraigen
21-04-2009, 15:00
stunning work as always, love the look of the armour.

Nicho
21-04-2009, 17:24
good god this stuff is amazing, Whats happened to the minotaur? :)

Punk_in_Drublic
21-04-2009, 18:09
I really like your paintjobs. I think you should share more of your stuff, more often :)

Later,

-Punk

DarkMark
21-04-2009, 19:00
Congrats!

Your Khainites are very good. I think the arms are too muscular though, and the hair braids are a tiny bit thick for my liking. Otherwise they're vicious as I'd expect/ want them to be.
Do you use ochre in your greys? They seem to have an extra tone to them, please enlighten me. Thanks

only joking...
21-04-2009, 19:02
Congratulations I would have given you gold for that elf he is sublime! Well done!

truthsayer
21-04-2009, 21:03
GeOrc I love you...

If you can get that death hag to panagua and have him cast it you will sell millions!

Khorghan
21-04-2009, 23:21
The modeling work on the disciples of Khain is unbelievable, and as always your painting is perfect.

I can't wait for more photos, pictures of greens are like crack to me.

JCOLL
23-04-2009, 13:21
Simply amazing painting and converting! And Sculpting! I wish I could get my hands on the DE chicky hag. Why oh why doesn't GW produce miniatures like this!

Arsenal
24-04-2009, 06:23
GeOrc, your work is wonderful and inspiring. Since you have taken the time to document and create such an impressive log I felt compelled to leave a comment, to thank you for showing such incredible miniatures and for the time you have taken to answer questions on your technique.

If I had one question, and my apologies if it has been asked already, it would be how you paint your blacks, particularly how you highlight them without making them seem either grey or overly glossy.

My best regards, your works are truly inspirational.

chunk
24-04-2009, 12:18
Its logs like yours that continue to inspire me (and I suspect many others) to paint new things. Congratulations on the awards!

Seer Drakon
26-04-2009, 00:33
Hey,
I wanted to stop by and send a congrats your way. You had some great winners in the GD this year. Thanks for the inspirations!

Nightsword
26-04-2009, 01:40
Most definately, congratuations on the numerous demons :) Your khainites are fast becoming one of the most favourite things I've seen you do. The NMM is outstanding quality and I really like the way you've brought them to life. Some minis you see look painted, some look like they have movement, and the combination of the choice of bitz and your painting talents breathes life into them I feel. I said this to Putty, if you have an army/unit that looks this good, I'll be flying out to play you :D (Oh nos I hear you cry, not the mad englishman!).

Which do you think was the best piece in the French GD?

GeOrc
26-04-2009, 08:39
Hi all,

@ Nicho,
the minotaur is still unfinished on my shelf for unfisnished projects.
Perhaps I wil continue when my dark elfs are finished or I return to beastmen after their new release.

@ Punk in Drublic,
the Problem is my less time. When having time I prefer to create stuff rather then when to talk about it. Thatīs why I only have a few WIP pics this time and prefered to show everything when it was finished. Things have become more difficult in real life and when I have to choose I will always prefer to paint than to make pics and write the whole evening. But I will try to show more, if possible.

@ Dark Mark,
I have three different types of metal here:
dark armour: itīs some kind of dark leather which behave the same as metal. Here I painted without glazes and in a very dark tone.
light armour: itīs normal NMM with an Ice Blue glaze to add the blueish effect.
sword Metal: itīs the same NMM like on the armour but with scorched brown glaze.

I used this three types as an experiment to set contrast when painting large parts and many differnet areas in the same colour. Normaly I get the contrast / maximizing detail degree when using gold to part areas, but here I avoided gold on the armour and used these different metal effects.

@ Khorghan,
I had some break because to the lot of Painting before the contest, but I think I will continue next week and will show the missing 4 miniatures. I start with painting the two which are already nearly finished.

@ Joll,
you can write them an Email and please them to release it ;) just joking :)
Iīm shure GW will greate a beautiful death hag in future.

@ Arsenal,
It depends on how light or dark the final result should look. I paint on a light undercoat and choose a basic colour ehich is 50% or 70% of the center of the final colour transistion. Then I shade the are between 0% and 70% and then highlighting the area between 70% and 100%. Colour effects I add mostly with glazes.

See here, where I wrote a more detailed information about paiting black:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=53809

@ Nightsword,
thanks for the kind words. I will try to create better stuff which is also woth liking ;) Because of visiting me... Perhaps there will be a workshop in the end of the year or the beginning of the next in UK. A friend is organiszing something but there isnßt something sure at the moment. Be sure I will announce it here in time.

@ all,
many many thanks for all the compliments and nice words. Iīm looking forward to next week when returning to my workbench and we will see what tales it will tell you.

Kind Regards GeOrc

Nightsword
26-04-2009, 10:56
Perhaps there will be a workshop in the end of the year or the beginning of the next in UK. A friend is organiszing something but there isnßt something sure at the moment. Be sure I will announce it here in time.

That is awesome news; if it happens, I'll be there. Quick suggestion, maybe get in contact with Platoon Britannica (I don't know if you've heard of them, but they're the equivalent of Team Spain in the UK) for the workshop if your friend can't do it, I'm sure they'll all be up for it ;) If you need it, I'll help anyway I can :D

bomblu
26-04-2009, 14:58
Been following this thread for a while yet never commented. I dare say, you are one of my favourite wargame painters! And your sculpting's awsome! Truly a source of inspiration for us wargamers ;)

Gargobot
26-04-2009, 22:44
The goodness inside this log is hard to believe. What your log contributes to Warseer is pure art. Maybe I'm a little biased, but I think you're DEs look better than the winning dwarfs.
Letztlich bleibt nur noch zu sagen: Weltklasse!

GeOrc
29-04-2009, 21:03
Hi all,
here some pic of the next two Khainites I actually work on.

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_11.jpg

Hop you like them
Kind Regards GeOrc

whitewookiee
30-04-2009, 08:29
just gets better and better this is amazing just wonted to pop in and say these are looking brillient.

Levett
30-04-2009, 11:14
Gorgeous stuff, what recipe are you using for the NMM silver??

GeOrc
30-04-2009, 15:40
@ Levett,
Basic colour codex grey. Then shading with adding more Chaos Black to it in two ot three steps, depends on how large the lenght of the colour transistion is and in the end pure Chaos Black. Highlight with Fortress Grey, Fortress Grey white and White. Repeat all colours and belnd them into each other until your colur transition is smooth. Then I add ice blue as a glaze into between black and fortres Grey. Then correct the transition everywhere and add scratches, battle damage and weathering.

Kind Regards GeOrc

Levett
30-04-2009, 21:59
Very nice. Currently working on my GD entires for the UK GD this year. Doing the silver NMM is going well now, was just stuck on what base to use.

I've gone with the following recipe which seems to work well..

Codex Grey Base. Shade with Codex Grey / Calthan Brown / Chaos Black (1:1:2), which adds a warmer colour to the shading as the NMM is surrounded by red. I then shade down further with pure chaos black in successive glazes. I highlighted with VMC Sky Grey, then Sky Grey with white, and then finally line highlighted with white where appropriate.

Seems to of worked nicely, but im wondering if the red around the metal would have more of an impact on the colour, e.g. should I add a small glaze of red / brown into the metal to warm it up??

Crube
03-05-2009, 19:58
Still checking out the sheer awesomeness of the log here GeOrc.

Talk of a workshop has piqued my interest. I think you'll have a lot of interest from this thread alone ;)

I love the look of those Khanites. One thing - the glove on the one on the right looks a little lost being black... maybe just me?

Keep it up.

Harry
03-05-2009, 20:09
Congrats on the statues. Well deserved and up against some stiff competition this year.

silverstu
03-05-2009, 20:51
Love those conversions- excellent as always GeOrc - delicious colour work too.

claudiomarino
04-05-2009, 09:02
Amazing work mate. I'm blown away!

GeOrc
05-05-2009, 06:57
@ Levett,
I use different types, the Khainite one here is a simple one, because I have three different types of silver metal, a really dark one, armour and swords and would that all look different. So I add blue to one and brown to another and the dark one without glaze.
Best result you get then adding dependend on sky earht mirror effect blue in sky directed metals and brown in earht directed metals. This will look best but is hart to realize so that it doesnīt look to much comic like or the crome effect of the know sky earth NMM styles.

@ Crube,
I will offer more informations as soon as I can say if this will happen or not.
Because of this "lost black" area... I didnīt find it..?

@ Harry,
many thanks

Regards GeOrc

Crube
05-05-2009, 08:04
It's just my opinion on the glove on the left hand of the Khainate in the left. With it being painted black (very well I may add (*jealous*). it just gets a little lost in the shole model. I don't know if I think it would be better in a slightly different colour...?

Maybe best to ignore me until it's finished ;)

gonzosbignose
05-05-2009, 09:10
Its not often you come across a thread on here as truely epic and awe inspiring as this. I cant believe you've made it to page 32 without me having seen it before...

I've flicked through a good chunk of pages, and your painting... is just breath taking.

I'll keep my eye on this in the future!

Regards

My name is Daniel and i am a wargamer

GeOrc
05-05-2009, 21:55
Hi all,
here some new Pics. Unfortunatly the pics are not very good but I hope you can see the progress.

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_12.jpg

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_13.jpg

Kind Regards GeOrc

Levett
05-05-2009, 22:57
Nice work.The one thing im not sure on are the scratches on the upper arm plates. They appear too straight,if you were to add in some form of differencial into those lines you'd end up with something much more appealing :)

Nightsword
08-05-2009, 15:43
It's always great to see your minis evolving. I can't believe you even get the lips in lol. I have enough problem with eyes :D

Lorcryst
09-05-2009, 07:46
I've said it before, but I'll say it again : I'm floored, flabergasted and humbled by the quality of those minis ... GeOrc, you are a master, and I can only hope to some day approach your level of mastery (with years of practice).

GeOrc
09-05-2009, 09:02
Many thanks for the kind words and the interest in my work

here some small interuption I took som pics today for helping someone who had difficulties to paint the same miniature. I will show you as well an othe rpiece of my high elf Chrace Hunting Party:

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/whitelionchariot.jpg

I hope you like it
Like always, questions, comments, feedback, critic are very welcome
Kind Regards GeOrc

Hammer49
09-05-2009, 09:10
That it one very nice white lion of chrace. I really do enjoy looking at your models. Truly something to try to aspire to.

Nightsword
09-05-2009, 12:42
Gorgeous. Your priming method really works on natural areas like the skin, the blends are smooth but the skin looks tough. It's a nice effect, especially with the choice of colour. The freehand "cushion" added to the saddle really conveys depth too, I had to check to see if it was on the actual miniature.

I have a question however. On a curved metallic surface like the shoulderguard where the NMM silver is, does the horizon line get higher or lower than normal? This one is fairly high, I just wondered if you could explain that a little bit?

eyeolas
09-05-2009, 13:15
It's all just a question of where the shoulder guard becomes perpendicular to the horrizon. These particular shoulder pads face downwards about the top of the jem, where they start to curve to flat, then point upwards

I adore the skin tones, the little details like the ribs and tail make it all the more awsome

Crube
09-05-2009, 13:56
Beautiful Lion... just beautiful. That saddle work is stunning. It looks lik it's really running - 3 paws off the ground - did you just pin the front leg through the base, or something more sturdy?

Harry
09-05-2009, 14:30
Stunning. The blends are seemless. Saddle is great too.

Ghod
09-05-2009, 15:01
There was a thread in the main painting forum discussing if painting wargaming models could be considered an artform...

IMHO you prove that it can :D that lion is just wonderfull.

It really is a pleasure to be able to look through your work, so thanks.

Mallekha
09-05-2009, 15:49
the skin of the lion actually looks like real fur and like it is really textured, great work, i cannot begin to understand how you achieved such results. Any specific techniques you used on the skintones besides incredible blending?

Congratulations on your statuettes also, really deserved.

Looking forward to some more of your work, Georg.

Arhalien
09-05-2009, 16:15
That lion literally made me stare speechlessly at the screen for a good 30 seconds. Truly astonishing work!

silverstu
09-05-2009, 17:10
That's just amazing- the tonal work is beautiful.

Godfiend
11-05-2009, 05:20
Beautiful Lion... just beautiful. That saddle work is stunning. It looks like it's really running - 3 paws off the ground - did you just pin the back leg through the base, or something more sturdy?

While it's amazingly painted, I think the back legs are in a very odd position for running. He looks a bit more like he's hopping down from something.

I would add that he's wonderfully painted, but I'm sure GeOrc gets sick of hearing that ;). However, I simply must state my amazement at how well the muscles are fleshed out, and how majestic and realistic it looks.

I can't believe you even get the lips in lol. I have enough problem with eyes

I have enough problems with hitting the mini itself. I usually just end up painting the desk. But yeah, painting the lips, that must take an incredible amount of control. It might help if I didn't consume massive amounts of caffeine. GeOrc, how do you keep your hands steady?

GeOrc
11-05-2009, 22:46
Hi all,
I am a bit in hurry and so will answer Feedback later, but here a pic of the finished Disciples of Khaine including the new ones. Detailed Pics will follow.

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_14.jpg

Kind Regards GeOrc

Leonathion
11-05-2009, 22:51
This is amazing, I'm truly stunned by the Khainites, but the the muscles of the lion is by far the best! That stuff has really got me interested in maybe do a few conversion for my eldar army. Is this for competitions or what? I'd say those Khainites has a fair chance to GD Gold!
Thanks for the view!

Mr.chair
12-05-2009, 00:13
That Lion looks incredible. The rib cage is beautiful.

Gargobot
12-05-2009, 00:33
The lion looks insanely great, you can really feel its movement by looking at the paintjob on the muscles.

I don't want to be nit-picking but I think you left a small brown spot on his ear, where it probably doesn't belong. Or maybe it's just not finished, I as an ordinary mortal sometimes can't really tell the difference. :)

Nightsword
12-05-2009, 10:07
Quite inspired Georc. Oddly and annoyingly, you just get better and better! It's a fantastic kitbash, if only the actual warriors produced by GW looked as good. The bases look great too.

I spy the BSB in the back there, and is that bare metal I see on the right hand size :eek:?! :D

EDIT: Thought I'd tack this on the end instead of posting again...

I've been reading your Temple of khaine log on Druchii.net and someone asked you about crutch colours. In the new WD, they interview Anja Wettergren of 'eavy metal fame who said she didn't tend to use red, and in true typical GW style, the first miniatures of hers they showcase is red... Anyway, you said about mixing colours to get good true red colours. How did you go about picking the colours to mix in? Was it through trial and error and trying different colours, or was it theory based? I heard adding green to red is useful for darkening it for a shade, but my experience went badly, too much green perhaps, but still it was an experiment. You also gave a list of main and secondary colours, but I didn't quite understand if this was the sorta mantra for your overal colour schemes, or was for mixing the colours, in which case for red you'd add touches of blue or turquoise right?

whitewookiee
12-05-2009, 10:45
hey mate congratulation on winning this years golden deamon with your elfs and darks they are seriously amazing models and they are worth there place in the event just wonted to congratulate you mate. fanastic

eyeolas
12-05-2009, 15:47
Just so you know, the French GD winners are now on the GW website, some of them are truely stunning, GeOrc's being no exception

EDIT: link: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?aId=15500001

Gazak Blacktoof
12-05-2009, 16:05
There's no credit given which is odd.

GeOrc
12-05-2009, 22:08
Sorry still noc time to answer Feedback but here a new WIP pic of the three missing miniatures:

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_15.jpg

Hope you like them
Kind Regards GeOrc

Nightsword
12-05-2009, 23:20
Wow, really is WIP, they've still got bits of sprue attached to them XD Interesting to see you sculpted the feet as well, that's something I missed before. It's got to be one of the best loved armies there is.

vinny t
12-05-2009, 23:50
Wow..... this is astonishing. Amazing GeOrc, simply amazing.

Crube
13-05-2009, 10:23
At the risk of just sounding like a teenage fanboy...

Made of win.

They are awesome... I love the one on the left. You have a real eye for dynamic poses...

Khorghan
13-05-2009, 14:28
I never liked dark elves before ive seen what you could do with them, i feel like an idiot saying this over and over again but this is amazing!

OnnO
13-05-2009, 17:50
Georc:
You might have said it before, but I couldn't find it:
What kind of basecoat do you use? A grey/white directional over black? Or is all the shading handwork?

Kobayashi
14-05-2009, 04:24
GeOrc, awesome looking log! I've been stalking it since the beginning. Looking amazing as always! :D

GeOrc
01-06-2009, 22:04
damn, I still havenīt answered the feedback here. Sorry guys I will try to do it these days. Iīm very busy and my time for the boards is very limited these days. I hope to get it these days. Please have patience with me. Until then here some further progress on my conversions I did in some small sessions on the weekend. I hope you like it:

http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_18.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_16.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/khainiten_17.jpg
http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/gallery/files/2/3/4/urial10.jpg

Kind Regards GeOrc

Gazak Blacktoof
01-06-2009, 22:12
I really like the elf with the chalice, what's the plastic part used as the basis for his head?

Nightsword
01-06-2009, 23:38
They'll be beautiful when they're finished, and it's a treat when this log gets an update, so do please coming back. The chalice is an awesome touch, and I thought unit champion as soon as I saw him, but then there's the geezer with the metal bitz. Is this one the champion, or will he be a hero?

I'm also impressed you sculpted the face out of brown stuff. I've always seen it used for hard lines like the armour. Do you have preference with which material you use?

Khorghan
02-06-2009, 05:29
Im very interested in these new models, the last two in particular. The chalice is a nice touch and the sculpted face has a crown?

These are the best dark elves I have seen and are what is inspiring everything im doing right now, your work ushually has this effect on me. (I normally dont like dark elves :S)

Keep posting updates with the elves!
Anything else your working on?

GeOrc
02-06-2009, 06:19
Hi all,

Because of the feedback about the lion:

@ Nightsword,
The pattern on the saddle is some freehand work I added. Itīs always good to breake larger flat ares with some freehand workt to add more detail to a miniature. Especially when this mini has a lot of these areas and some like the skin which have to be flat and pure for the right effect.

Because of the NMM, You can test the light behavior on a round surface when playing with a spoon. Try yourself and you will see that rounded areas always create a horizon line and the the curve depends on the rounding of this area and itīs position to the light source. I always paint it that it hits the middle which is vertical to th light source.

@ Crube,
Yes I only pinned it through the stone. You can drill through the stones but you have to be very careful when doing.

@ Mallekha,
I only use normal blendung technics and a zenital light source for the light setting. Everything else develops out of this. Further I choose natural colours and added here and there some graveyard Earth to add a bit dirty tone for a natural look.

@ Godfiend,
I didnīt change the leg position itīs original like GW sells it. Because of the muscles which pop out, this is normal when painiting by a light source because you get a contrast maximizing on the edges which leads to a far better and natural look of organic areas.

Because of controling my hand. This is a very good questions. I fix them. Itīs hard to explain and I will look if I can get a pic of it. Itīs important that you touch your hands. In my left I hold the miniature, in my right I hold the brush and all fingers I didnīt need touch in the middle with some soft pressure this allows me a miximum of control.

@ Gargobot,
the spot is a hole in the ear ;)

@ all,
many thanks for the kind words and all the compliments. Good o hear that you like the lion. I will keep you updated when returning to this miniature.

Ok now to the Khainites

@ Leonathion,
The unit won silver on GD France, you can read some postings above.

@ Nightsword,
Yes bare metal, these is a unit of executioners. on the left you cn see a bit of my top secret conversion test pices of a balck guard as well as some harpies wings and in the back a unit of normal warriors.

About colour theory,
this is a very difficult question where I could talk about pages with no end. Using colour depends always on what I will show on a miniature. But for example I work very less with green colours but this depends more on the fact that I didnīt paint miniatures where it would fit. When painting with a blending technic you havenīt much problems with mixing colours because your result depends on the blending and not by the exact mix of both colours. Thatīs why I didnīt fear mixing colours. Also I add glazes for effects until Iīm pleased with the result. Using glazes is also some kind of colour mixing when working with blendings.
My colour choice depends very much on theory knowledge. I know which colours work in which combination. I also use a limited palete of colours in most cases only three not more than four.
What you say about using a complimentary colour for shading is right but itīs not enough only to use this colour because thi only ends in a grey. You can use it for effect as a glaze and you can put it in your black to add more depth. For example I add Regal Blue here in the shads of the red skirts.

I hope this helps a bit.

@ Onno,
I use a two component priming. You can read about it on the first side of this topic.

@ Gazak Blacktoof,
The head is from the champion from the new cold one riders.

@ Nightsword,
The metal one is an old conversion I started as a Urial (crippld Brother of Malus Darkblade) conversion years ago. In my new armylist I played a hero with sword of might and I thought an axe would reflect the +1 strengt very good so I put out my old converison and start to rework some parts. My new Idea is to make it the dark and evil counterpart to my dark lion prince. I used the brownstuff here becaus eI had a lot left when working on the Khainites so I use it. The face was only done by a stamp technic of the lion prince head because it was very important that the faces look very similar.
But normaly I have a preference using the BS on hard matierla like armour and so on.

@ Khorgan,
yes how said itīs a stamp of the lion prince head.

@ all,
many thanks for all the compliments and kind words. I hope I can add further progress soon.

Kind Regards GeOrc

Nightsword
02-06-2009, 09:39
Thanks alot for taking the time to go through this, it always very interesting to read (even if I do bombard you with questions :P) and does help a lot.

PS Top secret black guard is intriguing to say the least!

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
02-06-2009, 13:51
There is some really awesome stuff in this thread. I really like the conversions you are doing( if you can call it that it is more resculpting the mini's). I take off my hat to you sir.

Keep it up

Greetz

warp_pyro
03-06-2009, 13:13
Can I just add my praise to this thread, I am new to warseer, and have just read this thread start to finish, WOW ... you sir are one very skilled and inspiring artist!

I have been looking for some new painting techniques, that will allow me to create characters in my skaven horde that will stand out, I think I may have just found some to try thank you :)

I only have one question, earlier in the thread you talk about using a 'wet palette' can you explain more about what this is, you mention some common mistakes, but I have never heard of this technique.

GeOrc
03-06-2009, 21:30
Many thx for the kind words,

@ warp pyro,

Using a wet palette:
Itīs important to know that a wet palette only slow down the loss of water of your colour, it didnīt avoid it completly. Also the slowed drying depends on pigment concentration, surface area and roughnes of your baking paper.

Pigment concentration,
a unthinned colour keeps better its concentration than a thinned one (osmotic effects). Because of that I thin my colour only on an edge. By this way I have a smalle colour spot which is better saved from drying.

Surface area,
a big surface area leads to a stronger loss of water and dry faster. The result will be a wrong degree of thinning. Keepeing the spots small and concentrated and thin on the edge. So you have to thin ever time but you have to control every time exact degre of thinning as well.

Quality of the Baking Paper
An older paper with a rough surface leeds to a quicker drying than a new one. I change my paper all 4-5 hours.

Further itīs important that you use a cheap kitchen paper under the baking paper because it draw the water but also let it go. High qualiy papers can have a to high capillary effect and can pull the water out of your colour, means in the wrong direction.
Avoid air in the layers of the kithen paper and between kitchen paper and baking paper. Wet your baking paper with yor fingers on its surface this is necesaary to add the first water by this way... when doing it not the paper catch the first water from your colours.
Donīt use tensides in the water for your wet palette. Use them in your water you use for thinning your colours but avoid it in the wet palette because it can influence the capilary and osmotic effects of your system.

Control your degree of thinning. There are 3 checks.
1.) when thinning on the edge of your spot. Take a close look of the degree of transparency.
2.) when strip it on the handkerchief. Control thickness of your line and the degree the colours dispers in it. Check also here the degree of transparency
3.) when touching the miniature. Check the bahaviour of the colour and if it fits your needs.

Do all three checks and learn to correlate the different behaviours of the thinned colours. When you have learned that, you know while thinning the colour on the wet palette if it will be right when touching the miniature.

I hope this helps. Very good question, thx

Kind Regards GeOrc

Jonesy
04-06-2009, 13:45
Just a quick thanks GeOrc for taking the time to give other painters useful pointers and tricks. After reading about your blending method and removing excess water from diluted paints something clicked, and instead of using 100s of layers to achieve a smooth blend (which often turned very "glossy" adding extra work of dulling it down again) I can now do the same with 5 or 6 layers .. reducing my painting time significantly, and keeping the same finish all over.

Not alot of master painters share their tricks and techniques. But you do, thank you.

GeOrc
06-06-2009, 17:38
@ Jonesy,
many thx for the kind words. Good to see that I was able to help you so my time was a good investment.

Here new progress:

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/Khainiten_02.jpg

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/Khainiten_03.jpg

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/Khainiten_04.jpg

Hope you like them
Regards GeOrc

Mallekha
06-06-2009, 19:09
particularly like the one mimicking the HE white lion hero as a DE, great idea! The last one here with the cup is also very cool, looking forward to more updates.

thanks for the info aswell on how to use the wet palette, ive been using it since i saw Jeremie Bonamant's DVD a couple of months ago, and ive gotten results, but your tips on how to keep the paint longer really helps significantly. Thanks. BTW i totally recommend JB's DVD, lots of great advice and tips on alot of (professional) techniques, French Style! Have you seen it?

Death Korp
06-06-2009, 21:37
Brillaint scuplting mate, can't wait to see more! What is the brown stuff called, I've always wondered what that is...

Is it any good? And where can I get it from?

Sorry about all the questions in one go, I want to start sculpting some details on to models, and this seems a good enough insparation to do so :)

Cheers,

DK

Mr.chair
09-06-2009, 22:15
Brillaint scuplting mate, can't wait to see more! What is the brown stuff called, I've always wondered what that is...
DK
It's called brown stuff. It's like green stuff but a little harder, less stickey, and you can file it after you're finished. It's notable for being better at holding a hard edge (like an armor plate would have). Probably find it all over the place online.

burtnernie
12-06-2009, 07:37
Hai GeOrc, great stuff as usual, can you just provide some comments on how you painted the lion? it's great and I want to do something similar myself.

Thanks

75hastings69
13-06-2009, 10:19
WOW!!!! I haven't stopped by here in what seems like an age, and what a treat for me when I did!!! some wonderful stuff here, the Lion is nothing short of stunning (and has tempted me into HE!). Keep up the good work Georg.

Steve

GeOrc
14-06-2009, 21:48
Hi all,
I will answer feedback later,
here some of my work from the weekend:

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/Khainiten_05.jpg

Hope you like it
Kind Regards GeOrc

spekkiebig
18-06-2009, 19:41
Hi GeOrc,

A friend of mine pointed out your blog to me and i must say it is fantastic. Your painting and modeling is some of the best i've seen around here. I've read you like to talk about painting and stuf so i have a few questions.

What ever hapened to the Slaanesh Beastmen? Have you finished the 500 point force and if so, do you have any pictures of them?

I also wonder why you don't seem to paint true metallics. Is there a reason for that or is it just coinsedence you haven't shown any pictures of you doing so?

Keep your spirits up and keep updating the log when you can please. I saw your litle frustration a couple of pages back with the lack of comments, but thats just Warseer and things seem to have changed a bit since then i guess.

Your log is an inspiration to step up my painting game, so thanks for that.

Greetings and keep on happy painting (a possitive remark i've picked up from Jarhead :D)
Spekkiebig

Slaaaaaanesh
18-06-2009, 20:35
Wow nice sculpting. So you much prefer brown stuff for detailed work and greenstuff for bulking out larger areas right? I hope you don't mind me asking as I've read somewhere that brownstuff was better for cape areas i'm confused now.

Crube
19-06-2009, 06:41
Great, inspiring stuff as ever GeOrc - one thing, the position of the sword of the last model - to my eye it looks a little 'off' being straight out. Did you consider having it slightly (ever so slightly) raised or lowered?

Hammer49
19-06-2009, 18:20
Great WIP model. Looks great. Look forward to seeing it finished/painted.

Great, inspiring stuff as ever GeOrc - one thing, the position of the sword of the last model - to my eye it looks a little 'off' being straight out. Did you consider having it slightly (ever so slightly) raised or lowered?

Im not sure the sword needs altering. I personally think it looks fine. However if you did feel inclined to change the sword angle it should probably be lowered as this would look more natural than raising it

Daniel36
26-06-2009, 08:36
Hi GeOrc,

Is that supposed to be his left ear? Because I think it's up too high. It could be me though. The strange thing is, the right ear doesn't look off, but the left one really does.

In the bottom right picture, it looks like there is a "human" ear below the "elf" ear... To me, that would be the right place to have his ear.

Love the model though! What's the brown stuff by the way? Is it something similar to Green Stuff?

ShinMusashi44
26-06-2009, 19:48
What tricks do you use to get the green stuff so smooth?

Godfiend
28-06-2009, 11:10
A couple of quick questions:

What's that lump under the cape? Is that just there to hold it in position & help you sculpt, or is it going to be a rock, or am I missing something?

Who fights while holding a goblet?

Other than that, it's brilliant stuff, and I can't wait to see it painted. I've worked at keeping my hands more steady - I could kind of see what you were saying, but a picture would be awesome if you have the time. Anyways, I can now aim my brush at the model instead of my face, so I'm much obliged, sir. :)

75hastings69
29-06-2009, 17:49
A couple of quick questions:

What's that lump under the cape? Is that just there to hold it in position & help you sculpt, or is it going to be a rock, or am I missing something?

It's blu-tac to hold the mini in position for the pics whilst it is still WIP, loads of people do the same.

Dark Apostle
29-06-2009, 20:17
Looks great (as usual)! The only thing buggering me is his right foot (to the left in the picture) - the angle seems strange (at least on the upper-left photo), maybe it should be further in under the cloak, with only the toes jutting out? I don't know might be the angle of the photo and the way the mini is almost tilting backwards in the provisory position. Anyway, great work, keep it up - you're a great source of inspiration, both painting- and sculpting-wise.

Siam-Tiger
30-06-2009, 06:38
Hi all,
I will answer feedback later,

Hope you like it
Kind Regards GeOrc

I really like the pose, it fits the "evil" nature of the character. The idea of the skull goblet is great.

Did you use the flagellants legs as base for the lower body?

GeOrc
10-07-2009, 12:38
Hi all,
again I was very busy and had no time to care for my topic here.

In the moment I plan my next workshop in September here in my hometown in Karlsruhe. The workshop was booked up in less than 48 h but normaly 3-4 cancel their reservations so there is still chance to get a place. For all who will be interessted here the announcement:

Workshop (http://www.tabletopwelt.de/forum/showthread.php?t=117834)

Oh and I get today the OK from Games Workshop for a cooperation and the support of my workshop range. They will sponser my workshop with a brand new unreleased miniature. I will get the top secret octobre release miniatures allready in september for this event. Thanks to Games Workshop for this great deal, the advancement of painting workshops and the succesful cooperation with the german painting team.

Ok, lets answer some feedback:

@ Jonesy,
Good to hear that this topic helps you in your develoment of your painting skills. If you are able to create good blendings with leyy layers you are on the right way!

@ Mallekha,
I know Jeremie personally from a lot of events and I also visited a workshop from him in Berlin. I already have seen some content of his DVD and can say itīs worth the money. Jeremy and I have a lot of similarities in our technical way of painting.

@ Death Korp,
Mr. Chair have already explained the details. You can find further informations in this topic on severa places where I discuss my sculpts. I can recommend the stuff when you prefer GS, its a very good addition then.

@ burtnernie,
From technical side I use my normal blending technique. The colours are:
Skull White
Bleached Bone
Graveyard Earth
Chaos Black broken with a bit of Regal Blue.
Like always I use different mixes between this colours depending what shade ot highlight I need. The mane based on Kommando Khaki. Rest was the same if I remember correctly. Itīs important to make large colour transistions and then make the hard shade very short to get maximum contrast.
If you have more questions let me know.

@ Hastings,
thanks

@ spekkiebig,
the beastmen are still unfinished because I changed again to the dark elfs after their release. Dark elfs are my vice and Iīm hooked on them. Thatīs why I feed the temple of Khaine with conversions and ideas.

Because of TMM, I paint it as well but less often. I used the technique on my vampires for example but I prefer NMM. This because I have more control by the light and its effects on the miniatures.

Thanks for your interest in my work and the nice words.

@ Slaaaaaanesh,
Sometimes I have no rule fo using GS or BS. Often I use it for "hard elements" like armour and jewlry but here also for a face to get better and sharper details.

@ Crube,
I like the position this way. Itīs not exactly straigt, but also not lowered to much. The miniatures should still show a bit of tension. Lowering the weapon would lead to much to a relaxed miniature and I think a Khainite isnīt releaxed at all. He is a fighting machine under tension even before a fight. Rising the sword would add to much focus on the sword and I want the goblet as an eyecatcher here, so it has to be in a position over the sword.

@ Daniel 36,
The ear of an elf is a difficult thing. GW puts them very deep on the head comparing to a human and real situation. I tried both but I wasnīt happy with both ways. Putting them in a real position they look to fairy like and to deep look unrealistic. I had to do more experiments here especially on the size and positions to find a good solution. Good note here ;)
Because of the BS, thi has been discussed a lot of times in this topic. Look around and asked if there are any questions left.

@ ShinMusashi44,
for smoothing GS itīs important to works with pulling movements in the later cure phases. Also I use spittle because itīs a very good lubricate even if it sounds disgustful.

@ Godfiend,
Hastings has already give you the explanation.
Because of the Goblet. This isnīt only a Goblet this is also a weapon... lok at all the spikes in it.

@ Dark Apostle,
The mini was still WIP, I corrected a lot things before fix the mini on its base.
Thanks for the note

@ Siam Tiger,
yes these are flagelant bodys.

@ all,
thanks a lot for the feedback. In the moment I am painting the 3 khainites and have also started the sculpturing of my hierophant on itīs ogre carried palanquin. Painitng the Champ and the hierophant are both competition projects so it can be that were wonīt be pics until the competition. I hope I can feed you with something else instead.

Kind Regards GeOrc

Khorghan
10-07-2009, 16:55
and have also started the sculpturing of my hierophant on itīs ogre carried palanquin.

I can't wait!

Nightsword
10-07-2009, 23:18
They will sponser my workshop with a brand new unreleased miniature. I will get the top secret octobre release miniatures allready in september for this event.

Simple wow. Sounds like a great opportunity for you, I look forward to this!

-Grimgorironhide-
11-07-2009, 05:44
Georc you are honestly a true inspiration too painters and hobbies alike. I consider myself quite a good painter and some people say I am one if not the best painters in our club. But even I cannot acomplish your standard. I have tried on several occasions but I always came up short. You should be applaued for your skills and talent and I hope one day to reach your level of expertise.

Mavelous work mate.

cheers.

Harry
11-07-2009, 06:49
I think your workshops are a wonderful idea and I think it is great that GW have chosen to support you in your plans.
I wish I lived a bit closer and am very envious of all those who are going to get the wonderful opportunity of painting with your guidance and support.
I already know you to be a wonderful teacher from our internet exchanges but having you describe your techniques (fantastic as that has been for my own painting) I am sure is no substitute for seeing you actually apply your techniques and painting along side you.

Have you considered filming the demonstrations of techniques and making them available to those of us who live a bit further away? I am sure that would sell well too.

Best of luck with all your endeavors. Thanks for seeking ways of sharing you skill with the rest of us.

Crube
11-07-2009, 17:36
Thanks for your reply GeOrc - It is always enlightening to hear the reasoning behind the way you do things. When you type it out it all makes perfect sense.

As to the workshops. I can only see 2 problems here.
1. I am on a family holiday in the Scottish Highlands
2. It's in Germany.

:p

Seriouslyk, wish I could be there, but all the best, hope it goes well, and there will be more to come

*Starts saving for a trip to Germany*

Il Maestro
12-07-2009, 06:52
First of all, I'd like to just say that your work is absolutely amazing, I've never seen anyone who could take on such a wide variety of miniatures and styles and still be able to mould/paint each one accurately. Bravo!! =)

I do have a question though for the true 'maestro' - it's a bit of a callback to earlier work, but how exactly did you paint the black NMM armour on the Vampire Count models earlier in your thread?? I've been trying to replicate it (to a much lower quality.... =P) but I just can't seem to get the right mixes of colours.

Thanks in advance for your help, your work is truly inspiring, even all the way down here in the land downunder =).

Ciao maestro

N810
12-07-2009, 16:28
Congratulations. :D

Scherdy
13-07-2009, 03:33
Using a wet palette:
Itīs important to know that a wet palette only slow down the loss of water of your colour, it didnīt avoid it completly. Also the slowed drying depends on pigment concentration, surface area and roughnes of your baking paper.

Pigment concentration,
a unthinned colour keeps better its concentration than a thinned one (osmotic effects). Because of that I thin my colour only on an edge. By this way I have a smalle colour spot which is better saved from drying.

Surface area,
a big surface area leads to a stronger loss of water and dry faster. The result will be a wrong degree of thinning. Keepeing the spots small and concentrated and thin on the edge. So you have to thin ever time but you have to control every time exact degre of thinning as well.

Quality of the Baking Paper
An older paper with a rough surface leeds to a quicker drying than a new one. I change my paper all 4-5 hours.

Further itīs important that you use a cheap kitchen paper under the baking paper because it draw the water but also let it go. High qualiy papers can have a to high capillary effect and can pull the water out of your colour, means in the wrong direction.
Avoid air in the layers of the kithen paper and between kitchen paper and baking paper. Wet your baking paper with yor fingers on its surface this is necesaary to add the first water by this way... when doing it not the paper catch the first water from your colours.
Donīt use tensides in the water for your wet palette. Use them in your water you use for thinning your colours but avoid it in the wet palette because it can influence the capilary and osmotic effects of your system.

Using a wet palette myself and finding your advice about thinning the paints only on the edge of the paint you put on the palette bit by bit as you need it is great! Mine has a sponge below it instead of kitchen paper towels. I think the sponge may have greater capillary action than the kitchen paper towels so I'm hoping that by changing to them it will slow how quickly the water is pulled from above my palette paper down below, as right now it can quickly go from paint thinned to the consistency I like, to just flat pigment on the paper. Any further suggestions as it can get frustrating trying to keep a very thinned color on a wet palette. Darned osmosis!:mad:

Jaxx23
13-07-2009, 04:23
OK so here are my two cents
1. Your attention to detail is VERY VERY impressive
2. Small detail work is UNBELIVABLE
3. The transition of color is silky smooth
4. The non-metal-metal work on Sigvald is incredible
5. Your green stuff skills of off the damn chart

This is by far top 5 skills that i've seen. And this is the type of quality that needs to be brought up to companies. I would highly recommend trying out for a job in this field. maybe not a career but you certainly have the right stuff my friend. I have a few things of my own on the go that im having troubles with, i'll pm you the details

GeOrc
13-07-2009, 08:45
Hi all,

@ Khorghan,
I can promise you that this miniature will become a new masterpiece. I try to break my own limits and will focus on the emotional ascpect of slavery and torture. My goal is that you feel with the slaved ogres and that this feeling will follow you long after having seen the miniature. The hierophant is finished by 50% and looks really relaxd, arrogant and unimpressed in his throne

@ Nightsword,
yes, Iīm really happy about the cooperation and Iīm honoured that I and my students will get a miniature three weeks before it is officially released. Especially because it is part of the most important release in this years release schedule from GW. Great Deal and a true gesture of Hobbysupport from the side of Games Workshop.

@ -Grimgorironhide-,
always look on the ones who are better and try to reach their level. 10 years ago when I have started I never dreamed of doing stuff like I create it today. Try to develop yourself with every miniature you paint.

@ Harry,
I tried to make a painting DVD with friends several years before. Unfortunatly there was a conflict with one of them which ends in several ugly discussions and interdiction to use the material the other one was behind the camera. This is all about law of copyright and rights as a camera man on pic and sound and so one and since these days I will never spend again a whole summer of work in such a project with no result in the end.
I enjoy paiting with others, travel around and visit and met ppl or invite them to my home for sharing knowledge. Same for the workshops.
Gary Morre from Maelstrom Games (http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/) try to organise a workshop in the end or in the beginning of the next year in the east midlands in Mansfield. Perhaps this will be in range for some of the ppl here.

@ Crube,
look above, perhaps this is in your range.

@ Il Maestro
I only use the colours: Chaos Black, Codex Grey, Fortress Grey and Skull White. Painting NMM itīs important ot have the ull range of contrast form black to white. When creating a dark NMM the dark area should dominate and the transistion to th reflecting zone should be short. Normaly I start with a basic colour which is situated by 50 - 70% of the colour tranistion range / gradient. 50 % is a pure codex Grey for example. For the Dark NMM I started by 20 - 30 % which is already a dark ix of Codex Grey and Chaos Black.
I hope this helps

@ Scherdy,
I know a lot of excellent painter who use a wet palete but only use a moderate thinning of their colours. They thin their colours and mix their colours directly on the miniature. I use this technic too but itīs very difficult, is difficult to explain and need a lot of excercise. You see there is no need to have the exact needed thinning degree, you can always thin your colour while painting with a bit water in your brush (Pit coloured paiting technique or second brush painting technique) or some spittle (so called brush lickers). For beginners I advise to try to get the right degree of thinning on the palete and to control yourself on the palete (degree of transparency), while wiping the brush on the handkerchief (flow to the sides into your handkerchief) and on the miniature (result).

@ Jaxx 23,
many thx

Kind Regards GeOrc

dwarfhold13
13-07-2009, 16:08
i'm going to take this opportunity to be 'that guy'...
i can't believe i've missed this thread up to now.. incredible painting, blending, fading, use of nmm.. i'm just floored!
i use to really take my time and paint figures as well as i could and got decent at it, but it really wore on me that it took up to 25 hours sometimes to get what i wanted.. i NEVER got to painting a full army because of this, so i had to develop a faster way of achieving a decent level of a paint job..
the only reason i say this is because, this thread makes me want to stop mass painting and concentrate on certain figures
kudos on the incredible painting!
i have to ask though, after looking through all 36 pages of this beast, do you ever get your conversions cast by a manufacturer? i've been dying to find a hellebron model for my witch elves and that witch elf you created is right up my alley.. i know it's art and created for personal use.. but it would be similar to creating a number of prints of a portrait.
thanks for giving me something to aspire to!
Jon

Mercutius
13-07-2009, 22:12
Mein Gott, das ist der Wahnsinn was Du da fabrizierst! Jetzt fühle ich mich richtig schlecht. Gibst Du noch Tutorials in Düsseldorf? Ich würde da gerne mal teilenehmen, falls das möglich wäre!

Crube
14-07-2009, 12:33
That is certainly in range - my family live in Nottingham and Mansfield :)

*is happy L'il Black Dog*

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed...

kongisking
14-07-2009, 13:38
Some of the work that i have seen in this blog is unbeilvable, i'm sure you've answered some of these questions somehwere in here. but hey i'll ask again.

how long have you been painting and modeling, and what sort of time do you spend on doing each individual model?

what does some of your early work look like? is that the breading ground and would we be likely to see if we looked around your workbench several thosand models?

What inspiration do you take? are you the sort that takes the insipiration from the work of wothers or what you see around you in youur day to day life?

do you look at your suroundings looking for what others don't see?

sorry for the number of questions, sometimes it's good to see how the artist gets to that point that they decided that that will be the path that they follow?

keep it up look forward to seeing more work from yourself.:cheese:

Harry
15-07-2009, 22:33
Gary Morre from Maelstrom Games (http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/) try to organise a workshop in the end or in the beginning of the next year in the east midlands in Mansfield. Perhaps this will be in range for some of the ppl here.

Yes that is in range.
I would be very interested in that.
Just let me know.

Arduhn
16-07-2009, 02:00
Ah, I'm jealous of you guys who live in Europe and can just hop over to Germany on Ryan Air/the train, etc.

I miss Germany.

Anyway, great stuff, as if I have to tell you. Congratulations!

FLESHGRINDER
06-08-2009, 03:51
Love the work GeOrc; you're a real inspiration.

Even if its depressing how big the gap is between your skill and mine

wizzard
07-08-2009, 22:11
Hey Georc.

Your work is a real inspiration, really like your miniatures.
Wish i was as good as you are, big respect dude.

Keep up the good work :D, love to see more of your work.

spartan41
08-08-2009, 04:53
Hey georc Your work is awesome, I could look at your mini's all day if you had enough posted on the net. Are you going to be posting any more WIP or finished peices anytime soon?? If not could you point me to where I can see more of your Models not posted in this thread??

PS. My technique is heavily influenced by your style of painting, thanks for sharing some of your knowledge!!

Breazer
15-08-2009, 12:39
hey there...
absolute great work...i really am impressed...
the conversions are awesome...but i think the prices explain that..
i was curious since you paint a lot of cool things do you also play and so yes can we see your army..?
that would be great...

Breazer

Imus
15-08-2009, 23:29
awesome as always. I do have another question for you Georc in regards to basics. Now, i know you state that after thinning you use a handkerchief to touch the brush before you put the brush to the model. Is this to take the excess water that mixed with the paint which is on the brush?

Any chance of picture, i know its asking much but im finding it alittle confusing in the way you explained (i suspect im being a retard)?

GundamMecha
17-08-2009, 10:10

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/Khainiten_05.jpg

Hope you like it
Kind Regards GeOrc

Wonderful work as always. How do you find working with brown stuff? I myself have only ever used Greenstuff and ProCreate and a little superfine white Milliput.

Is there any particular reason you use it for the armour? Sharper edges and better hold perhaps?

Nightsword
17-08-2009, 10:59
How did you get on at GD germany?

Queekvondrak
17-08-2009, 18:53
this log makes me sad in a good way theres no way in hell i'd ever be able to paint even to probably a hundreth of that scale sir i applaud you how long have you been in the hobby for?

GeOrc
18-08-2009, 06:36
unfortunatly I wasnīt able to get a trophy. After six years of succesful contests, this was the first time without a winning entry ;) But Iīm very pleased with my work and I think itīs my best so far. I think it was bad luck, but take a look yourself to these sneak pics, my own pics will come this evening:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_jbHOBa7Gf8M/SonWRPlF9RI/AAAAAAAAAHA/54-Xz3yqqMU/s512/Bilder%20687.jpg

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_jbHOBa7Gf8M/SonWUWjGz4I/AAAAAAAAAHI/jXBu7TNMevE/s512/Bilder%20692.jpg

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_jbHOBa7Gf8M/SonWSgoEJVI/AAAAAAAAAHE/FwyL4R0ic6s/s512/Bilder%20689.jpg

Cheers GeOrc

silverstu
18-08-2009, 06:58
You didn't win a trophy? My god the standard must have been high- even with the sneak peak shots that model looks amazing- both in terms of construction and painting.

GeOrc
18-08-2009, 07:28
@ silverstu,
you can see here other entries as well as pics of the winning entries sortet from third to first place:

http://bobpanda.de/warhammer/gd09de/

Kind Regards GeOrc

Kasrkin 666
18-08-2009, 15:52
I agree with silverstu. Did you bychance anger the trophy gods?;)
Amazing work though, just incredible. My jaw fell when I saw it.

-Sunny

Nightsword
18-08-2009, 17:02
Frankly I think it's gorgeous. It's very very rare that my jaw drops at a mini, but this time it did, and i'm not even talking figuratively. How you got that freehand to look so smooth is beyond me. Do you paint it and then glaze over the top of it, or are you just that good?

Im sincerely look forward to seeing more pics of your work, you've made me want to chuck my own GD entry away XD

GeOrc
18-08-2009, 19:37
Many many thanks,
her are my better close up pics of the finished Khainite Champion.

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/Khainiten_07.jpg

Am other entry was a buste of dr. festus which is a sculpt from a friend I get for painting.

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/dr_festus.jpg

Like always Feedback, critic and some motivating words are very welcome.

Many thanks
Kind Regards GeOrc

Kobayashi
18-08-2009, 19:41
Jeez! Mate your painting is 100% amazing! :)
You really need to do a step-by-step for your Dark Elves, I'd love to see how you do the blood, skin, and armour!

FLESHGRINDER
18-08-2009, 20:49
How do you do the NMM so well?

Godfiend
18-08-2009, 21:05
Well, GeOrc, I can't think of any real criticism for that dark elf. I also can't think of any reason it wouldn't win - I guess you've inspired some real competition :P. Except, perhaps, that the cloak might be deemed by some to be 'too busy'. It's quite an amazing job, easily being my second favorite of your work (I still drool at your Sigvald).

That's quite a grotesque Festus bust, too. That's what I look like in the morning. However, I think it comes off feeling more like a zombie than a Nurgle wizard.

As usual, your painting & sculpting are amazing, we all love you, etc. etc... :P

N810
18-08-2009, 21:14
Simply amazing freehand work. :eek:

Nightsword
18-08-2009, 23:47
I can't help but feel that khainite champion needs a big gun, it looks so dark eldar.

I think the skin is flawless, I love the tones you use. The base is eyecatching but simple, as it should be. You NMM is, well, I think you know by now I love your non metallics, the chestplate and the sword are simply staggering. Freehand too beggers belief. I disagree with Godfiend about it being too busy. IMO, the brettonian knight with the 4 banners and green knights horse in the photos of the link you gave is too busy, your's seems within reason I feel.

Personally, I feel there are two areas that let you down mainly, and that is the topknot and the inside of the cloak. I'll do the topknot firstly. I don't think it's as smooth or as tidy as the other areas of the miniature, or as similar texture like the mane of the lion which you've done previously. It's still great by anyones book or ability, you nail us to the floor, but it doesnt meet the standard of the armour or skin, which is simply sublime. For the inside of the cloak, I think the red is lacking the richness of the colour of the rest of the unit. This maybe because it painted seperately from the rest of the unit, or perhaps it looks different due to the angle of the shots. Regardless, this would be the area i'd target most in terms of improvement.

I hope this read like a critique and not as random abuse, your work as ever is really inspiring and is an argument for miniature painting being classed as art IMO. I didn't offer any solutions to the areas I pointed out because well, i dont need to tell you how to paint, I just wanted to share my thoughts. Hope that is ok.

powa bear
19-08-2009, 06:21
That's creepy as hell, I love it.

mitico
19-08-2009, 07:03
Hi Georc,

I had the chance to take a look at your miniatures one more year and simply say they are amazing. It is a great work and you should be so proud, because you had bad look in this cathegory, there were many of the best painters around the world and I would say that this was the hardest cathegory of the golden demon.

I had 2 entries, one in fantasy, a chaos wizard and in lotr with gandalf the grey. I achived one finalist with gandalf.

Greetings for your entry and keep on working.

Crube
19-08-2009, 07:45
Awesome work GeOrc, as ever. I would agree about the red on the inside of the cloak being a little... not as awesome as the rest of the model, especially the skin and the metals.

The sword is particularly awe inspiring... I notice that you have some dripping goo type stuff on the bust too - how do you manage to get it so fine? And such a rich colour on the blood (It's not your blood is it...:eyebrows:)

Keep it up GeOrc, and don't get disheartened about not winning a trophy this time.

GeOrc
19-08-2009, 13:26
many many thanks for alle the nice kind words.

@ silverstu,
the generel standard in warhammer single entry was very high but my own standard is this as well and normaly this should be enough. In my eyes he judges put their focus more in overall effect and less on painting and painting skills. I donīt know yet what to think exactly of this.

@ Kaskin
perhaps it was a punishment from the judges what they have to judge my dark elfs for six years now ^^

@ Nightsword,
Itīs normal Freehand painting. Paint the motiv and paint the background against it. Repeat this very often and work with some glazes for correct the global and geometrical blending after all.

@ Kobayashi and Fleshgrinder
NMM works better then add the envirenment reflection as a glaze ino the neutral NMM. Here I add ice blue for the heavan reflection and scorched brown for the ground reflection. The skin works similar. Paint the neutral skin tone, add the flesh colour as glaze and add venes etc and to an overall finished with skull white / Bleached Bone / Gloss Vanis Mix to add a silk matt finish for a soft shinning. The Blood is Tamia Clear Red, a colour with a lot of Epoxy material which works like blood.

@ Godfiend,
try some coffee, itīs the perfect anti Nurgle in the morning ;)

@ again Nightsword,
Because of the topknot, it is als textured, I donīt know if you can see it but the single plaits of each segment are painted with fine lines. Because of the red, I change colours here, I want him to stand out of the unit so I give him a black skirt with red applications instead of otherwise. Because The red was needed I decieded to paint the cloak inside in red so that he fits in better cause he shares the same colour quantity.

@ mitico,
how I said it was a hard contest in this cat, but I think from the side of painting skills the dark elf had good chances against the winning miniatures, but the judges voted otherwise. Thatīs ok, They look more for overall effect and story telling, but in this case the 1st place rider is wrong there because he wins of painting skills. I think itīs a bit inconsequent judgement here and I didnīt really know whatīs wrong on my miniature. Bad luck, but the elf will try on an other contest :) Iīm not unhappy about a lost contest ;

@ Crube,
the red ande the inside of the cloak is simple because there are to much details in the front and I donīt want to add more. So I have some large simple areas which work as a frame for the detailed miniature.

Many thanks for all the feedback
Kind Regards GeOrc

BobPanda
19-08-2009, 14:15
hi georc,
your mini was def a great one worth a demon. but i think the others as well. so i think if there are more than 3 minis worth a demon decissions are to be made. in in your case the jury voted against you. - but to be honest i do also not know what -from a painting pov- should be better at the winning minis. ?!
but the german gd itself was imho a strange contest this year with some surprises.
i was told before, that the only category the jury is allowed to value conversion and idea, craftsmanship etc is the open category. in all others the ranking should be based upon pure painting.
i had the feeling, that this year it was exactly the other way round. quite often i heard them talk about thinks like: this mini is more storytelling than the other blabla. but in contrast to that, in the open, they let minis win without much idea or conversion behind?!
i mean the demon that placed 1st isn't even a gw-mini, but as far as i know sculpt free to buy for everyone, that has nothing to do with neither 40k, nore fantasy and looks more like hellboy to me. i mean the paintjobs of the open-winners were all pretty good, but the open is not only about painting. you could even enter things without paint on it at all. they told me, that my rc-tank was a candidate for a open-winner up from the beginning, but in the end they decided to let those minis win with the best paintjobs ?!?!...
-
and in some other categories where conversion, posing, basing and idea or "storytelling" shouldn't be valued at all, they judged exactly the other way round. ?! :confused:
what i want to say is:
keep up the great work georc. !!! and better never try to understand why some minis win demons and others not, or in other words: why the jury decided as it did. :)

Geep
19-08-2009, 15:50
I'm pretty surprised you didn't get an award for that model GeOrc. Some of the entries you photographed are also very nice, but I'd still expect yours to have placed. I think luck (in guessing what the jusdges prefer) is a definite factor in a competition like this.

Nightsword
19-08-2009, 23:58
In my eyes he judges put their focus more in overall effect and less on painting and painting skills. I donīt know yet what to think exactly of this.

I'd think of this as a challenge and try to work out how you can achieve the overall effect the judges were looking for, whilst nailing it with your painting. I think I remember reading it was your diorama against ben komet's (think it was last years GD?) and you were saying his had more atmosphere. Perhaps try and work out how to put that atmosphere into your single figures.

I think with the Elf above you can already some aspects of this. There's fresh blood on the blade, he's clearly killed recently. The cup is full, but who's blood is the contents? Has the champ collected it from the recently slayed victim or is it from elsewhere? Where is he? The ground is a reddy orange brown and there are skulls around, are they the skulls of previous victims? Probably not, so is this a killing ground? Is it the deserts of the Khemri? Has he just stepped off a Black Ark? If not, why is there no dirt on his cloak?

I see the fine lines on the top knot yeah, I really like the sculpting work you put into the topknot. I read what makes a good conversion is the fact that you could think, "Hell, where I do that model from? Which GW box is it in? Wait, what do you mean it's not an actual model? Someone made that? Christ, looks it came off the shelf!" With something this good you could really strart looking for a box of khainites. I think the painting work you've added is great too, technically it's superb, I just feel it could be sharper, but that is really "knitpicky" and just something I noticed. The red is fair enough :)

Godfiend
20-08-2009, 00:41
I disagree with Godfiend about it being too busy. I

I didn't mean that I thought it was too busy, but instead that others might think it so. I love the cloak. I think all of us fans are more upset over GeOrc not winning than he is. It's a stunning piece, whether or not he got some hunk of metal saying it is.

What's next on the chopping block?

Also, out of curiosity, how much do you play? Are you as good at the game as you are at painting?

Kobayashi
20-08-2009, 05:43
Thanks for the walk through GeOrc!

Hydra
23-08-2009, 11:00
Hey GeOrc!

I took great pleasure in marveling at your model!
In the past years, it has always been a great pleasure to see your models (the facial hair on the manticore? Brilliant :) ).
And i am really sorry that it didn't work out for you this year. But i surely hope that you will enter something next year and i will have another chance to envy your dedication to details.
I really liked your elf this year (the freehand on the back... pure awesomeness!)... well the decision is always at the jury :/
Onething i was wondering about his head... well at his right ear. I know the dark elves are not as the elfes from WoW, but i felt the ear could have been a little more "plastic".
Don't get me wrong, that is just a fairly small detail...
Hope to see you next year again...

i mean the demon that placed 1st isn't even a gw-mini, but as far as i know sculpt free to buy for everyone, that has nothing to do with neither 40k, nore fantasy and looks more like hellboy to me.

Could you give me a link to that said model?
Might be somewhat important...

Wintermute
29-08-2009, 15:08
I'm moving this thread to the Fantasy Project Logs Forum.

Wintermute

Grisnik
04-09-2009, 10:31
Hi GeOrc..

Love the work.. love the sculpting and I have to say that it is inspiring indeed..

Question I have on how you do parts of it though? Whats the technique you use on the fur aspects of your Beastmen.. I know it was a while ago, but I just found your thread here..

Also like the step to step that you have of the DEs there.. something I would like to do in the future and I will be taking a lot of these photos as examples..

Looking forward to your reply.. and more of your work..

tensions
04-09-2009, 10:59
holy crap, this is so awesome!

Chaos Puppy
04-09-2009, 11:52
Awesome awesome awesome, work! I am uterly speechless....

However what ever happened to that gaint gor, you were making?

Ludaman
04-09-2009, 17:40
Wow, this is the first time i've seen this thread... truly incredible work. You are a mad genius Georc...

Sirroelivan
04-09-2009, 20:46
Just read through the entire log.
It's jaw-breakingly awesome.

Chaseyboy1er
04-09-2009, 21:35
I cannot lie. Your freehand skills are impeccable. i really like your work.

GeOrc
21-09-2009, 09:05
Hi all,
many thanks to all for the kind words ;)
I will try to answer the feedback in the next days.
Until then here a pic of my latest work.
Itīs nothing special only a skink hero I painted for a friend as a colour schema test.
Itīs a very "quick and dirthy" paint job which was done in less then 10 hours.

Nethertheless I wanna show you:

http://www.dunkelelfen-georc.de/Bilder/Public/Echse-GeOrc.jpg

Kind Regards GeOrc

Vazalaar
21-09-2009, 10:13
quick and dirthy?

It's stunning. IMO The best Skink I've seen!