PDA

View Full Version : To Archmage or not to Archmage?

Zensunni
13-11-2007, 14:00
I have been playing the High Elves for quite some time. It seems to me that when I use an Archmage I end the game wondering if it is even worth it to have a 300+ point caster, or character. Where I could have 2 other mages lvl two for around the same points.

Then of course when I field 2 lvl 2 mages after the game I wonder if I would have been better off with one arch mage and a lvl 2 mage for characters.

I am leaving out combat characters. I use them as well but for this discussion I want to focus on mages and the Archmage for HIgh Elves.

What I want to hear are other peoples experiences and thoughts on if the Archmage is worth his weight or perhaps two lvl 2 mages are better? Actually I am open to hear anything related to this, including if you just run a scroll caddy in your High Elf armies.

feintstar
13-11-2007, 15:01
I like Books of Hoeth.

But that's because I often go up against minimal Magic armies who have good MR - Dwarfs, Ogres, Combative Lizards and such.

I like the book of hoeth because it lets me use unseen lurker with the same kind of certainty as a Dwarf's anvil. And I like it because Pit of Shades is Lethal to Dwarf and Ogre Kind.

And Lastly, remember that nowadays, Archmages can be on Dragons.

Kellindel
13-11-2007, 15:10
It's a tough call. It all depends on what works best with you. I've never taken an arch mage. And with the mis-cast tables being what they are now.... I'm worried about taking a mage period. That's only because I tend to roll miscasts on a regular basis now days.

FurryMiguell
13-11-2007, 15:26
I love magic, and would always go for Archmage. When I make up my armylists, the first thing I do is throwing in as many mages/necromancers/sorcerers I can. On top of that I give my characters lots of Items with bound spells, making me more than superior in every magic phrase. But if youre not of the magic-crazy type, I'd rather go with the two lvl 2 mages. That gives you a decent amount of casting and dispel dice, and the Lord slot is still open for some badass Elf Prince(if elves can be badass:p).

Erh, I have NO idea of what you can gain from reading this post, but I'm really tired and I cant sleep, so I'm gonna watch terminator3 once or twice...

Cheers:D

brambleten
13-11-2007, 16:45
ive only played one game with my HEs, but my archmage did far more than my normal one did

Tutore
13-11-2007, 19:22
An archmage is a good way to deal something with magic in a HE army, although in 2000 points he eats too many points. Why? Because you need at least one other lvl2 mage (better: 2 lvl2 ones) to lay waste to your enemy. Otherwise he will simply dispel 50% of your magik and outnumber you. Thus, I'm very hesitant to field an archmage in 2000 points. In 3000, however, it's a MUST!

Eldem
13-11-2007, 20:21
I actually normally run an archmage a level 2 mage and 1 or two nobles. Gives me good magic defense and a good attack, I find this to work very well

Dragon Prince of Caledor
14-11-2007, 00:36
Take an archmage with a banner or sorcery. Give the mage the jewel of the dusk and a bound spell. No one. not even dwarfs can easily stand up to that! High magic is wonderful! Depending on what type of magic you like. Destructive or protective. I find that magic is best when used to up your troops. either with attacks or protection. Although magic missiles are always fun. If ur opponent knowsthat you have a combination of magic spells. (high magic with ward saves and stubborn along with missiles and vauls unmaking.) Or thelore of shadow. If you really intend on being defensive let him know the devastating spells you have and in his defence he will let your defense spells go off anticipating a magical blast. this psychological warfare means that you have out smarted him. People would normally rather fight up juiced up enemies than lose models. This is quite the misconception! Especially if we are talking incantations! But using magic for defense is the way to go. Add that to the ring of corin ( i think that is the magic missile) and cast a missile and the enemy will have to pick which spells to dispel. This means that since all high magic spells are great you get off useful spells any which way you look at it! Good luck! (ps take a dragon mage and tell me how that goes!)

Defender of Ulthuan
14-11-2007, 00:38
Give him Folaraith's Robe and strut him 'round the field without fear :). Elves have high Ld, and besides, I always feel mages are more worth their points than a 200pt infantry model. Truth be told, I'd say just go with whatever you like best. Also, 1 lvl 4 can cast just as many spells with more efficiency than 2 lvl 2's. Unless, of course, you're Hoeth-heavy and need lots of Saphery's shields to keep you alive. An interesting question, but I would enjoy a post on the rest of your army's composition. Good luck either way :).

sulla
14-11-2007, 02:51
The good news is that in the current book, prices are actually worth it. Before, even a prince on a dragon was still a fragile piece of glass on a dragon. Now, whether on foot or on a beast, a prince is a useful unit.

This means that you no longer have to look upon the archmage as the safest lord choice. Both can be useful. I play to use a foot prince with gt weapon, ring of fury and seafarer bow in my infantry horde both as support for my mages and as a ld boost for the infantry.

Although i have been tempted to play an archmage on dragon with the robe and the talisman for immunity to non magical attacks and no magic weapons work... I'll charge him into the scariest chaos lord I can find, challenge and watch as he puts all his attacks on the mage in the first turn for no result. Of course, it is a 700pt model so I'll need some good support and the right spell list to go with him.

Finnigan2004
14-11-2007, 03:30
Although i have been tempted to play an archmage on dragon with the robe and the talisman for immunity to non magical attacks and no magic weapons work... I'll charge him into the scariest chaos lord I can find, challenge and watch as he puts all his attacks on the mage in the first turn for no result. Of course, it is a 700pt model so I'll need some good support and the right spell list to go with him.

Sorry Sulla, but this appears to be an illegal combination because Folariath's robe appears to be available only to models on foot.

sulla
14-11-2007, 03:34
Sorry Sulla, but this appears to be an illegal combination because Folariath's robe appears to be available only to models on foot.

No great loss then. A 700pt mage designed to fight in cc will never go down in history as my greatest contribution to warhammer....

feintstar
14-11-2007, 09:27
You could use it on foot anyway - use Lore of shadow to fly him around the field, zapping things, then fly/charge into combat and challenge units of knights with heroes to duels... :)

The more I think about this, the more I like it. Talisman of Saphery, Folriath's robe, and maybe a staff of solidity or a Jewel of the dusk. Use him to draw a stand and shoot order from a unit of archers, then charge the next turn with something good. He'd be taking break test on Ld 7 with a reroll, if there's a BSB nearby...

FurryMiguell
14-11-2007, 15:26
I'd try out a few combinations if I were you. Try do an army filled with mages, then an army with 1 archie, 1 mage and maybe some captains or whatever theyre called. And then 2 mages and one of them would-be badass HE prince's

Fraggzy
14-11-2007, 15:35
if I wer you (witch i aint) then i would go for one archamage with some devastating magic objects that would give him awesome casting abilities and some bound items, i would then take two lvl 1 mages one with staf of sorcery and one with a dispelscroll (or two) and after that i would take a noble and give him a boundspell ring too!!
just to add the top of the iceberg i would cast inn a swordmaster regiment with the banner of sorcery witch adds D3 extra power dices.

That gives u a total of 4 dispel dices +2 to dispel and 1 or two dispellscrolls just to be safe. And you also have 7 powerdices +D3 and 2 bound spells, a both good offencive magical army and defenceive.

Fraggzy
14-11-2007, 15:36
i forgot to mention that you should give the lvl 1 mages magic rings too

Fraggzy
14-11-2007, 15:37
of course this takes many points, but in this way you are shure to dominate the magic phase.

FurryMiguell
14-11-2007, 15:44
naaah! go get some rest fraggzy! youre drunk:D

Go for the full mage bunch! 1 archie and 3 lvl 2 mages:). and stuff em full of magic rings and magic stuff that gives you more casting dice. And the banner of sorcery:)

ok, fraggzy's on to something though. I still think you should just try out some of the sugestions, and find what suits you

Cheers:D

Elhier
14-11-2007, 20:20
want my personal oppinion on this take a prince with gem of hoeth shadow armour jewel of dusk and silver wand then give him foe bane and send him on a mass rampage of destruction, a scouting wizard nasty, archmages are worth there points,

recently ive been taking an archmage and a dragon mage, the archmage acts as the defence and stat booster while the drag mage goes on a bloody rampage (that extra power dice goes a long way).