PDA

View Full Version : Shooty Slaanesh

Grimtoast
13-11-2007, 16:28
So in my attempts to adapt to the new Codex for Chaos, I'm revamping my all Slaaneshi army from a heavily CC-centric list, to a much more shooty list.

I may be all kinds of foolish for doing it, but I figure what the hey - why not mix it up a little.

My conundrum right now is figuring out how best to handle the anti-armor role.

My core choices are probably going to be in the neighborhood of something like this:

6 Noise Marines, 6x Sonic Blasters

These will provide the firebases in the middle areas of the board. They'll be supported in their anti-infantry role by my heavies:

Predator, Dozer Blade, Autocannon, HB Sponsons
Predator, Dozer Blade, Autocannon, HB Sponsons

Between the 12 HB shots, 4 AC shots, and 36 (on the move) or 48 (stationary) bolter equivalent sonic blaster shots - that's a pretty solid anti-infantry firebase.

Now, on to anti-tank: I really want Blastmasters, but they're too expensive for what they can do (despite the pure cool factor) - and you can only have one in a squad. So that blastmaster firing at armor means several sonic blasters not tearing up infantry. So nix that.

I'm considering one of two options:

1) Unit of deep striking terminators (that come in by an Icon carried by my jet-packing sorceror) with combi-meltas.

2) A unit or two of 6x Chosen, using 4 meltas - infiltrating.

Any experienced chaos players have any input? Experience tell you that <x> works more often than <y>? Any better alternatives that I haven't listed out? (No monstrous creatures though, breaks the all Slaaneshi marine theme I'm going with).

The Song of Spears
13-11-2007, 16:31
Melta squads kill tanks dead...if you can get there, which if the enemy knows what they are doing, will likely not happen. And even if you do manage to get to the one tank, what about the other one on the other side of the table? Also, melta squads hold little terror for skimmers...

terminators best weapon is a combi melta (one shot) or a reaper autocannon...only str 7, not too hot against armour 13+

Your best bet is deep striking obliterators. Looks like you have a heavy slot still open, try three of them and use their lascannon/multimelta to great effect. And using an icon will help them reach the table safely.

cheers!

Grimtoast
13-11-2007, 16:33
Not a bad call.

I had considered Oblits before but talked myself out of it for some reason.

They could support that jetpacking sorceror as well as the termies could once CC broke out, I suppose. Might have to tool around on the points cost and see what comes out to be the most bang for the buck.

The Song of Spears
13-11-2007, 16:38
Thing is, oblits offer what the cults have been lacking. High str, low ap, tough infantry.

And with how well oblits multitask, you get a tank hunter (lascannon/multimelta), you get a anti hard infantry (plasmacannon, twinlinked plasma gun) , anti infantry/hoarde (flamer) , and a tough body = termi stats with an extra wound...

its just what pure slaanesh armys have been needing. Heck any army, why do you think IW were fo effective? The basi that scattered 66% of the time? Nope, it was the 6+ oblits that now ALL chaos can have.

Obliterati
13-11-2007, 16:48
You could add some Fast Attack meltas...say:

8x Raptors, Icon of Slaanesh, 2 Meltas, AC w/Lightning Claws

or

6x Bikers, Icon of Slaanesh, 2x Meltas, AC w/whatever.

But, like Song of Spears said, those Meltas will be bullet magnets, they probably won't live long.

You could swap out one of you dakka Predators for a Lascannon Pred for some ranged anti-tank firepower, but that seems unreliable. At a glance, Deep Striking Oblits seem like a pretty solid choice.

Grazzy
13-11-2007, 17:20
Id get oblits or melta termies. Both are great choices with good versatility.

Grimtoast
13-11-2007, 17:42
Yeah, the lascannon preds have always died horrible early deaths in my armies. Trying to keep the dakka preds because they mow down infantry, and they're cheap - since they'll probably die anyway. Just hopefully later than sooner.

I think I've been talked out of the infiltrating melta-wielding chosen. Been looking for a good excuse to try out Oblits, and this may be the time.

qwertywraith
14-11-2007, 17:46
Oblits are a great call, but do consider Deep Striking termies. The reaper AC is respectable especially against rear armour, but you really want Combi-Meltas (105 points gets you 3). I also recommend a small squad of chosen with a lascannon (a minimum squad might also cost 105 points). This unit is a very cheap lascannon that can set up in cover or in view of valuable enemy tanks.

Grimtoast
14-11-2007, 17:53
Yeah, but the minimum squad with one lascannon is only one tank killing shot. The deepstriking oblits or termies with combi-meltas are looking like the prime options now.

As much as I'd love to run Chosen. I think everyone so far in the thread is right that they'll die horrible early deaths.

Finnith
14-11-2007, 18:04
In smaller games im looking at trying out the melta havoc squad with a rhino. Cheaper per troop than a chosen squad and can still have a fist wielding AC for h2h anti tank. Possibly add in a plasma gun or 2 just to mix things up.

[SD] Bob Plisskin
14-11-2007, 20:33
I use two squads of Chosen both with 5 meltas in 2000 points. They do die very horribly and very quickly but usually not before taking out all the big gribblys that can mince my tanks carrying 36 bezerkers, hehehehe!